CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Need Aftermarket Warranty Advice!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 05:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 AMG
Need Aftermarket Warranty Advice!

I'm ready to buy a CLK 63 cabriolet. Unfortunately, the last detail, choosing the best aftermarket warranty, has proven to be a pandora's box of confusion.

So few CLK63's were imported, it appears there are no cert. pre-owned being offered. The cars in my price range are no longer under MB warranty, thus I cannot own the coverage I want. I have studied 3rd party warranties and found several features that I want.

Exclusionary style (everything is covered except what the contract lists)
High tech coverage (for electrical)
Transferrable
Pro rated refundable
MB dealer accepted
BBB A rated

Each dealer offering a car with the mileage and equipment I desire does business with a warranty provider who raises too many red flags. I've found consumer warnings and horror stories in every case.

I visited my local MB dealer and asked the service writers to make a recommendation. CNA was suggested. They only sell through dealers (who of course do not have the car I want).

So what can you suggest? I need some guidance from the MB World membership. Please help.

Cost should be under 5K though I would pay more if the coverage were good enough. Can you suggest a company that will sell direct to me? Can you give me feedback, good or bad, on Cornerstone as a warranty provider?

Thanks, Redcab
Old 09-05-2013, 05:55 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Currently: 2019 E450 AWD, Previous: 2002 CLK55 Cab
I looked hard at this issue when purchasing and ran into the same concerns you mentioned. After calling four or five of these companies most seemed just this side of shady, always giving either the customer or the shop trouble. In the end I decided to "self warranty". I had a thorough and outstanding pre-purchase inspection at a dealership independent from the one that I was doing the purchase with. I joined here and researched common problems and their cost of repair and the most expensive issue and costs of repair. Based on that I keep a reasonable amount in the cookie jar and work hard to keep up the maintenance on a very good specimen. Good luck.
Old 09-05-2013, 06:48 AM

CLK 63 AMG
Thanks City Rat. I've snoozed on this well priced CLK63 for 36 hours. If it is still available, I'll make a deposit. Budgeting for scheduled and unscheduled maint is an option I had not considered. I can put the 5K I had reserved for a warranty into the mayonnaise jar and set up a savings schedule for the rest.
Old 09-07-2013, 10:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blown 208 55 amg, 211 55 amg
I work with asc Warranty almost on a daily they are never a problem and always cover repairs
Old 09-08-2013, 09:34 AM

CLK 63 AMG
Thanks Red

I will research their policy. Do you happen to know if they sell direct to the consumer? I've been unable to use CNA which I was told was excellent. They will only sell through a dealer...again who inevitably does not have the car I want.

My local Penske owned MB dealer says they can inspect any car I buy for preexisting issues at a cost of $150 then sell me a Fidelity backed warranty. I'm troubled by the thought of buying without any coverage then chasing warranty protection after making my purchase.
Old 09-08-2013, 02:10 PM

I'm not sure I can find out tomorrow but I'm more than happy to sell you asc if its possible, I will find out.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:59 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Currently: 2019 E450 AWD, Previous: 2002 CLK55 Cab
Again, I would ask the shops where you normally have service done what their experience is with any company that you are thinking of going with. The last thing that you need is your trusted mechanic frustrated because ypur warranty company is screwing with him and his bill. There are some shops that won't deal with certain warranty companies for just this reason. Just a thought.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by City Rat
Again, I would ask the shops where you normally have service done what their experience is with any company that you are thinking of going with. The last thing that you need is your trusted mechanic frustrated because ypur warranty company is screwing with him and his bill. There are some shops that won't deal with certain warranty companies for just this reason. Just a thought.
Yea **** preferred warranty they are a pita