CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

What problems have you had?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C55
What problems have you had?

Ok, just got my car back from it's second trip in for service in two weeks. I'm curious if any of you have similar issues.

Last Friday on my way home from work my cars Check Engine light came on. About 1/4 mile later it started idling very rough at a red light. ABout a mile later it died completely and wouldn't start. I called roadside and they sent a guy out. He determined I'd run out of gas (the light had JUST come on and the computer said I had ~35 miles to empty)...put some fuel in it and read the diagnostics. When he reset the engine light the feul gauge didn't work at all. Computer said there was no gas and I had 0 miles to empty. It drove...so I took it home and brought it to the dealer on Monday morning.

Tuesday I picked the car up. Dealer said they had replaced a fuel sensor and all was well. Wednesday morning it died on my wife on her way to work. Roadside came and we had them haul it to the other dealership in town.

Today I picked it up and it honestly feels like it runs MUCH smoother. THe service rep said they replaced both fuel pumps, but the sheet says it was both fuel sensors. (not really a car techie personally....I just drive 'em *smile*) They also performed a recall campaign the first dealer didn't mention.

I'm chaulking this up as primarily a bad dealer experience as I REALLY love the car....but thinking back it has had 2 rather major failures in the ~3 years I've owned it. The ignition system went out about a year and a half ago and had to be replaced. And now the fuel system was acting flaky. I've got a year left under the warrenty so I'm ok now...but I'm sure this stuff isn't cheap to fix once your out of warrenty.

Have y'alls CLK55s been pretty worry free? This is my first euro-car and I really wasn't expecting major issues at all with this sorta cash outlay ya see.
Old 11-15-2003, 09:03 PM

2002 C32 AMG
My 02 CLK55 ///AMG

Thus Far I have had little electronic related problems, nothing which required a tow or a major visit. Currently I am experiencing a problem when I reset my ECU (By removing battery for a couple of hours) the dam windows do not close all the way

I have had high vibration after driving very hard. At times my Bose system volume blast when I turn on the car, And I know I didn't leave it high earlier Other than that all is well - I can't really complain much - This is one of the most rock solid cars I have ever owned - Being a past 911 owner, I had my problems along that road also - so any production auto is going to have imperfections along the way.
Old 11-15-2003, 10:29 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 251 Likes on 182 Posts
Re: What problems have you had?

Originally posted by SaxManiac
Ok, just got my car back from it's second trip in for service in two weeks. I'm curious if any of you have similar issues.

Last Friday on my way home from work my cars Check Engine light came on. About 1/4 mile later it started idling very rough at a red light. ABout a mile later it died completely and wouldn't start. I called roadside and they sent a guy out. He determined I'd run out of gas (the light had JUST come on and the computer said I had ~35 miles to empty)...put some fuel in it and read the diagnostics. When he reset the engine light the feul gauge didn't work at all. Computer said there was no gas and I had 0 miles to empty. It drove...so I took it home and brought it to the dealer on Monday morning.

Tuesday I picked the car up. Dealer said they had replaced a fuel sensor and all was well. Wednesday morning it died on my wife on her way to work. Roadside came and we had them haul it to the other dealership in town.

Today I picked it up and it honestly feels like it runs MUCH smoother. THe service rep said they replaced both fuel pumps, but the sheet says it was both fuel sensors. (not really a car techie personally....I just drive 'em *smile*) They also performed a recall campaign the first dealer didn't mention.

I'm chaulking this up as primarily a bad dealer experience as I REALLY love the car....but thinking back it has had 2 rather major failures in the ~3 years I've owned it. The ignition system went out about a year and a half ago and had to be replaced. And now the fuel system was acting flaky. I've got a year left under the warrenty so I'm ok now...but I'm sure this stuff isn't cheap to fix once your out of warrenty.

Have y'alls CLK55s been pretty worry free? This is my first euro-car and I really wasn't expecting major issues at all with this sorta cash outlay ya see.
What was the recall for?
Old 11-17-2003, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Re: What problems have you had?

Originally posted by SaxManiac

Have y'alls CLK55s been pretty worry free?
Yes.

Well, not really I worry about getting door dings and speeding tickets
Old 11-17-2003, 10:54 PM

'05 C55
The recall is to activate an oil sensor and it's functionality in the main console...or something like that.

My car died again today and was put on a flatbed to the dealer in the rain.

More info as I get it.
Old 11-28-2003, 05:21 PM

'05 C55
Just a quickie update.

Car is STILL at Park Place Motorcars in Dallas. They've had it since MOnday the 17th. They haven't been able to nail down what the problem is....service rep says they've pulled everything from the tank to the main fuel lines to the pumps and everything inbetween.

As of about an hour ago "it's running" and they wanna hold it until Monday so they can see if the problem resurrects itself.

Service rep called me while I was sitting in an '04 Acura TL discussing pricing with the salesguy. I'm still a little pissed that the Porsche dealer offered me $37k for the car in trade.....and my residual on my original lease was $46k, next December. Sort of wish I hadn't refinanced it...then I could just walk away next winter. Heh.
Old 11-30-2003, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
I'll be sitting in an Acura in 2007/8 when my MB Premium Extended Warranty expires...unless there is a total change in the MB culture re

QUALITY: Product & Service.

..or is that a too old-fashioned expectation?
Old 11-30-2003, 07:00 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Have you seen the concept for the new NSX...WOW!
Old 11-30-2003, 10:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Originally posted by RJC
Yep.

It looks like a Saleen/Modena combi...almost like a spaceship.
Attached Thumbnails What problems have you had?-wunderbar450.jpg  
Old 12-01-2003, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
...and back to the future!!!

Originally posted by RJC
Attached Thumbnails What problems have you had?-nsx05x530.jpg  
Old 12-01-2003, 10:42 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'd love to have my name on one of those. Any shots of the side/front?
Old 12-02-2003, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Originally posted by RJC
I'd love to have my name on one of those. Any shots of the side/front?
Sure - some shots from the 2005 NSX premiere at the Tokyo Auto Show.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1066271

Old 12-24-2003, 07:37 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the pics Karl. I've been off-line for awhile.