CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Frequency of Maintenance Driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 01:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 AMG
Frequency of Maintenance Driving

My CLK 63 is safe in storage for the New England winter. I parked the car in early December before the snow and road salt arrived. Since then, I have started the car only twice and put on just enough mileage to get the engine and exhaust properly hot.

I've read about issues caused by storing a car for long periods of time. Do any members have opinions about the best frequency to start and drive a car for maintenance?
Old 03-01-2014, 08:41 PM

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts
09 CLK550
Don't let it sit outside for a month without moving, lol
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk55-amg...ont-rotor.html
Old 03-03-2014, 09:30 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Currently: 2019 E450 AWD, Previous: 2002 CLK55 Cab
These cars are meant to be driven. They are too complex and the systems too interdependent not to keep them in regular use. I have read and heard many of the stories about how these cars and rear wheel drive in general are horrible in the snow and ice. Even penguins are horrible on ice, lol. All cars are horrible on ice. I have even had a dealer tell me that no one there will drive one in the snow without 4matic. These cars are built by Germans and I refused to believe that they would build a car that was not capable of being driven, as designed, in their own country. I drive mine rain or shine, all seasons, including the snow and slush. I click on ESP and slow down. I don't drive her through high water nor will I drive her in icy conditions. I hand wash and wax it anytime that temps permit year around to keep the chemicals and salt at bay. The paint looks great and I am pleased with her performance under crappy snowy highway conditions. Like any athlete she needs to get a regular workout. Don't box her up for the winter and expect her to be happy in the spring or summer. Long list of reported problems associated with leaving cars stored for long periods of time, e.g. warped rotors, flat spots on tires, quality of fuel problems, think Stabil, etc. If for some reason it had to be stored during the week I would start it and let it run at op temp for at least 15 mins daily, no science to that number, slightly better than a SWAG as based on almost triple the time it takes for my car to comfortably reach op temp at idle. It just keeps the engine moving and oil lubricating the passages, etc with at least an hour long drive at highway speeds once a weekend. This rule of my own and no one else's thumb would just allow me to keep weekly tabs on how the engine is running not under load and also under load. Again, this is if it had to be stored as there is just no substitute for driving her.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
'15 T&C & '14 SL63
The 24 inches of piled up snow in front of the garage finally melted down to only 6-8 inches... so I got baby out this weekend for some new shoes.

It only sat for maybe 6-8 weeks, but it smoked a lot when first started... not oil smoke, but very fuel rich exhaust smoke. After 5 minutes all was back to normal.

I have to say... I was definitely smiling. This car is FUN. Too much fun. No wonder the damn tires only lasted 4000 miles ;-)
Old 03-03-2014, 03:40 PM

CLK 63 AMG
I can't disagree that the Germans anticipated snow and cold weather when building cars like my CLK. Studded tires would afford adequate traction in the snow and ice, and frequent washing could keep the damaging affects of road salt under control.

I don't know much about German road construction beyond the fact that the autobahn was built to withstand the affects of cold without the frost wedging we find here in the northeast. I drove my car last week for maintenance but the roads were so bad from potholes that it seemed undoubtedly inappropriate for such a precision automobile.

Perhaps I'm inviting unnecessary problems by garaging her for extended spans of time...but I am absolutely certain that I will experience problems driving this car on my roads today.

My 430 remains a daily driver. I replaced a tire with less than 5K mileage and damaged a rim due to RI's winter roads last year. That won't happen to my CLK63.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
City Rat put it down good.

If I had a choice of cars to be stranded in the desert in it would be my 124 Mercedes Diesel.
I like the idea of storage and keeping the car out of the salted snow. There are many things to consider when preparing for storage.
The humidity is low so minimal amounts of fuel stabilizer should be considered. Resting the car on jack stands would preserve the car from flat spotting the tires. Rotors do not warp from sitting, they rust, but mild re heating should clean them up on first drive. Rotors will warp when resting uneven on a bench or heated to the extreme and flashed with water or cold.
Remove the fresh air snorkel and seal up the intake with a bag of some sort, seal the exhaust pipe as well.
Dis-connect the battery or remove for winter charge service (bi-monthly).
Cranking the car up once a month can do more damage than racing it hard.
Engine oil collects moisture that forms with carbon (this car makes serious carbon) resulting in a semi- hydrochloric acid reaction that collects on the engine cylinders and bearings. A similar cause and effect can be dwelled upon by shot trip commuting.
Most cars that never heat up to normal operating temperature under a load will need exhaust repairs in 20,000 miles.
Engines that live under 180 ^ temperature ranges have intensive cylinder/crankshaft wear.

You guys can pick on me if you want but It is written.

Are you storing it indoors (garage)?

Gator
Old 03-05-2014, 11:13 AM

CLK 63 AMG
I'm storing the car in an outdoor storage unit. No leaks and clean concrete floor. It is not heated.

I did change my oil prior to storage and I filled the tank.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Stored the cars each winter from new, change the oil before storage, use battery maintainer and put on the car cover (inside garage). When it warms again to around +9C will remove maintainer and fire them up and let run till oil is 80C. Just once the next time when the roads are void of the salt/brine crap we use and the potholes have been filled, we drive again. Usually end of April, then again daily driver.

Ha ha rotors do not warp from sitting, your issue is oxidation built up under the pads when stored in a moist environment. The rotor face will show surface rust but a larger buildup in found under the pad face. Ha ha ha warped rotors from sitting.
Have a 40+ year old Dodge Challenger which has sat for about 90% of the time, never warped a rotor.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Critter,

The Humidity is real bad in Florida, Surface rust usually accumulates on my rotors over the weekend of rest.
Like I said mild heat up will help to reduce warping the rotors.

your Dodge is like my 72 Mercury Cougar waiting the next car show.
Garage real estate is best for storage on any car.

All the best, Gator

Last edited by GatorMB; 03-12-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Gator, just reacting to post 2 where the op states his rotor warped from sitting for a month. There is a big difference between a warped rotor and a rotor that has a pulsation feel on the pedal while braking. The oxidation you describe will most likely be polished off with minimal usage. In that prev post the op showed a video in which the rotor would stop each revolution of the rotor at the same spot, that spot was where the pads had sat for the month, he replaced the front rotors then goes on to say he still has an issue, that being he never addressed the rear rotors. Again rotors do not warp from sitting.
Gator ,nice car, XR7?, my cousin owned one a lot of years back 351 Cleveland with the factory 4BBL carb, duals, auto, that car was no slouch, sequential rear tail lights and no warped rotors ha ha
Challenger won Canadian Mopar Nationals in 93, Best of Class
Just a small outing, nothing like the Mopar Nationals in the US
Old 03-18-2014, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey Critter,
I did read through some of that warped rotor post but not in detail. Congratulations on best Mopar, I enjoy looking at all but always had the blue oval blood from the Ford FE days. I suppose My CLK55 is modernizing my spirits so to speak after working on them for a living in the past.
The Cougar is my first car and 351C 4v 4speed locker fun, currently under resurrection.

This is Reds thread but I don't mind filling in people about the past and present.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Photos are not coming as usualhttps://mbworld.org/forums/attachmen...1&d=1395182871

Here we go!!. Although this is a Benz forum, I had to show off the Cougar one time for Critter. Mother nature has done quite a job on her since moving out to rural acreage.
Gator

PS: Many Benz were sought after for investment means but without proper storage techniques the car will show its age regardless.
Attached Thumbnails Frequency of Maintenance Driving-attachment.jpg  

Last edited by GatorMB; 03-18-2014 at 07:06 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:56 PM

CLK 63 AMG
Gator- gorgeous classic. Glad you posted a pic. The only cougars I see here in the northeast wear high heels and too much makeup.

My 63 comes out of her cave on April 3rd. I'm counting the minutes.
Old 03-23-2014, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Ahh how does one post a pic on this site?

Last edited by Critter; 03-23-2014 at 12:19 PM.