CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Data Logging with ScanTool.net OBDLink MX WiFi Scan Tool

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 09:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 Chevy Tahoe
Data Logging with ScanTool.net OBDLink MX WiFi Scan Tool

Just pulled the trigger on a ScanTool.net OBDLink MX WiFi Scan Tool. Also purchased the DashCommand - OBD-II gauge dashboards, scan tool, and vehicle diagnostics by Palmer Performance Engineering, Inc on iTunes.

Set up looks pretty cool, and if it works as advertised looks like I'll be able to not only pull and clear codes on my iPad, but run diagnostics and monitor engine and system performance in real time on my iPhone as well.

My only concern is apparently Palmer Performance has not developed extended PIDs for MBs so I'm not completely sure what parameters I'll be able to monitor. I'll post more once everything is set up and functioning.

Cheers,

Greg
Old 06-16-2015, 12:47 AM

E55 AMG Estate, Lincoln MKX
Hi, did you have any luck with this? I'm planning to get an OBDLink MX for my E55 AMG 2001 too but I'm not sure how useful it would be.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
Sounds like a handy app and device especially for nuisance codes like O2 and air temp.

The Pids are coded in hex if you get a hex code it can be translated with a converter app or you can decode each message one bit one letter at a time. Hex is 2^16 and each digit has a meaning to some. It depends on how much hand shake information is in the scanner to determine if un used or under developed PID can be added.

PID is industry standard for OBD2 and the trouble code will match tables for all vehicles. Things are changing alot in the automotive world in OBD as communications systems get more technologically advanced.
There are sanctions being presented by some automotive manufacturers about individual collection of data from intellectual property. This means you will no longer be able to access any on-board systems out side a dealer network

Enjoy it while you can and let us know how the new scan tool/app work.

Gator
Old 06-17-2015, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 CLS63s AMG
Check "Carly for Mercedes" on iTunes. cost about $55 but it does scan 41 different CU in my CLS63 AMG. pretty extensive diagnose app actually.
But trust me. nothing is like the C4 multiplexer. and why I'm saying that. Well, my car's head low beam (left side) was acting up. scanned the car, and got low beam bulb is faulty. booked an appointment with MB dealer. they scanned the car with their tool and found out that the bulb is fine but the light switch is faulty on the auto mood only.
The moral is, those apps and readers are like drone. the C4 is the real jet!
Old 06-17-2015, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
CLK Cabrio
I have the SdConnect c4 yet on long drives I do like the fact that my Ipad runs logging and can scan for quick fixes along the way.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:41 PM

2003 Chevy Tahoe
I think it's been pretty well covered. You really don't get data logging, but for the money it's a great way of pulling codes and resetting. While out at Kleemann I asked Cory about data logging. DashDaq is solid technology but old. He mentioned another option. Can't recall what it is off the top of my head. I'll check my notes and if I can find it I'll post it up.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have about 3 apps in droid that I am working with for DAQ (data aquisition) of serial devices, the most favorable to me is from National Instruments, All data is hex or foreign (mal) but it is favorable without teardown of the app.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:15 AM

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
2004 CLK55 AMG W209
what would you guys recommend as a good downloadable app to use on an I-Phone to monitor or check fault codes?
Old 06-22-2015, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I started with the ELM327 found on ebay. It jumps right in and scans and clears codes. You will have to search and download the drivers and software in some cases.

Engine only and beware of counterfeit dongles (connection interface). Check the sellers ratings or feedback.

I do not blue tooth to OBD2 yet as I am working on a few different projects. The lap top is my friend until I get on board linux systems completed.

You can research www.xcar360.com or www.uobd2.net for in-depth hardware. There is a lot of interesting dongles and devices for working on the systems. I am going to shop here after OP system is working good for CAN monitoring.

The sd 4 connect looks favorable as others report

Cheers Gator

Last edited by GatorMB; 06-24-2015 at 08:45 PM. Reason: added content
Old 06-23-2015, 02:27 AM

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
2004 CLK55 AMG W209
Thanks Gator. Will have a look and see what I can obtain.