CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Tranny woes? 5speed W209

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 05:33 AM

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
2004 CLK55 AMG W209
Tranny woes? 5speed W209

Hello good people of the MB forum.
So second week of ownership and began by removing the filters. Leaves, dust, probably tiny bugs too (dead) and sand particles below me air filters. Cleaned and dusted them out for now till I buy new ones. Midas (local parts store) had stock of one only and a Fram oil filter I tried getting both items in the MANN/GUD brand. Never the less will buy the oil filter from MB.

So took the car for a drive properly this time. Achieved 240km/h and had to slow for traffic. I hear this like flapping noise and grr grr at low speed which disappears and at 80km/h above I hear that flapping noise. Almost sounds like a loose cover or something. I didn't get to really see under the car however it all looks okay to me. Anyone know of this noise or had early experiences with this? I read here the Torque converter can be an issue but in manual drive only from 1st to 2nd had this slight delay then it shifts but probably like 2sec or so and the rest of the gears were fine. Drive it in comfort or sport and it still drives fine. No hard gear changes and no fault code errors on the display

I am going to service the lubricants for now as I think the plugs may still be okay but will inspect them for safety sake. Don't want a failed coil or worse.

Will buy the oils and filters for them from MB. Is it essential to have the dipsticks as my dealership doesn't sell them over the counter. I will ensure the amounts used are as per the WIS documents.

Your advice will be highly appreciated.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
You do not have to replace fluids and filters with MB brand but MB spec.

The engine oil should call for full synthetic with a fleece element filter. Do you have a owners manual?

The transmission has adaptive strategy which means that it learns from your driving style. If you do a lot of commuting in heavy traffic, the shifting will get sluggish and slow.

You must reset once in a while by turning all accessories off. Radio included, Close door, dome lights off turn key on engine off and push the gas pedal to the floor.

in a moment or two you will hear a click in the silence - viola the transmission is reset. Welcome aboard

Cheers
Old 06-19-2015, 08:08 AM

2004 CLK55 AMG W209
Originally Posted by GatorMB
. Do you have a owners manual?

You must reset once in a while by turning all accessories off. Radio included, Close door, dome lights off turn key on engine off and push the gas pedal to the floor.

in a moment or two you will hear a click in the silence - viola the transmission is reset. Welcome aboard

Cheers
Yes I do. Had a look at it very thoroughly.

Didn't know the tranny can reset itself. Thank you and pleasure being on board
Old 06-19-2015, 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
I was going to recommend AutohausAZ.com and PelicanParts.com, but it occurs to me you're not in the US.

Last edited by MarcusF; 06-19-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:52 AM

2004 CLK55 AMG W209
sadly you are right Marcus. I am located in South Africa.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:20 AM

2004 CLK55 AMG W209
UPDATE* So I checked the car when my cat blew. I found that the front flex disc has cracks in it but not all over and will probably still be good for a while but its on the imperative list of parts that need attending to. The rear seems fine but I managed to find one small crack only. Cant see the centre bearing support so no idea there. Had a look at the torque converter/clutch packs whilst idling and them seem okay to me though they are making a slight noise on idle. Anyone know how to determine condition and the beginnings of problems to come on these? I was able to see these just where the gearbox connects to the engine. Think its missing a square cover there though.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:44 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
05 CLK55 AMG (1 of 247) Cubanitsilber designo series
Replace the flex disks. If you see any cracks, what you can't see will be worse.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:35 AM

2004 CLK55 AMG W209
will do so as soon as possible. Anyone know the part number for the W209? I checked the number on the disc itself and apparently that number doesn't work with the Merc by me and they have given me a different part number.