CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

Supercharger Install Status

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 10:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 55
Supercharger Install Status

Had to go to Europe then China, so it has been a month since I have been home (only wish I had as much fun as my wife thinks I do). This weekend was the first time I have been able to do a litle of the install on the HPS Supercharger.

I installed the Mass Air Flow Sensor and Throttle Body extension wires. I also installed the Coolent overflow re-position tank. Very easy and I was inpressed that the extension wire is color matched to the original benz. The new Collent tank is of good design and comes with all the needed wires. All is fine.

I am installing in sections so that my car is not down but for a couple of days. In the end, I can do most as weekrnd hobby projects, as this make it fun.

Next weekend I will install the Fuel Management Unit FMU, and maybe the electronic Fuel Control circuit. Still no need to have car down. After that I will install all the brackets.

The last thing will be to disconnect the Throttle Body and connect the new blower.

One thing I plan to do is get the filter into the fender. Verts have an issue as a BIG vib damper is on the front right frame. I took it off to feel the difference and Benz has a problem with Vert 430 and CLk 55 at 70MPH. I hear that the non-verts do not have the vib damper. Goes to show Mercedes cars do have problems, as this is a 25lb weight to control vibration.

Many ask what the electronics do: The Fuel management unit raises fuel pressure to allow the injectors to push more fuel as its needed under boost. The EEC control unit is the fine tuner to the added fuel from the increased fuel pressure. All goes as normal until under boost. Simple and effective set-up, as this does not require one to monkey with the EEC. Again, I like the HPS becasue I can go backwards if needed to remove things.

One final note is that I will probably install a set of colder plugs. Maybe two setting cooler. This is always a good thing to do with Blown cars. Iridium are the best, but a good set of normal platium should do fine at this low boost.

I did order a special water to air cooler so I can engineer after everthing is installed. I discussed with HPS as they may want to offer with the kit. A product I found on my Europe travel.

More later.
Old 02-17-2004, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W210, W220, W163, W164, C6
gregc

Nice write up!!! Keep us posted with this endeavor...as I'm looking into install a supercharger, and HPS is a contender. As mentioned, the FMU is to control the fuel mixture...Am I correct to say that the system is using a custom PSC1-003 Split Second product to calibrate fuel by adjusting fuel control signal?? What is your take on adapting the Powerchip software to this system...possible or problem??

Can you provide more info on the water to air cooler (website)?...if this unit installed on the Mag can keep the temps well in line, you would think the increased torque at lower rpms would give some edge to the Mag, as on the LS1 a 40rwhp improvement over the non-intercooled version.

Regards
Richard
Old 02-17-2004, 01:26 AM

GLK, CLK, GL, C2S
whoa...I didn't understand a thing you guys said...sounded sweeet though.
Old 02-17-2004, 02:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by MBZ4LIFE
No Problem!!! When I'm awaken from this dream, I probably won't remember a thing...
Old 02-18-2004, 08:46 PM
moomeh

Originally posted by MBZ4LIFE
i can't wait to make so much money to do this stuff as well. i still wouldn't know what is going on though, lol
Old 02-19-2004, 10:48 PM

CLK 55
How do you get enough fuel with a supercharger?

I had a couple of min. so I thought I would reply to those new to the car engine world. A computer today controls all engines. Why? This is to save gas and to not smog the world.

ALL cars have two modes of operation CLOSED LOOP and OPEN LOOP. What is closed loop. This is the everyday driving mode that we all love for EPA and fuel economy. In closed loop mode the engine computer (EEC) tries to make sure the gas going into the cylinders burns just perfectly. The better your fuel optimization, the less smog and waste of fuel to the world. How does it work? In simple terms, the EEC reads lots of sensors to adjust the fuel curve to the engine. It reads the O2 sensors to help adjust the fuel to cylinders. Load calculation and other things affect the big picture. It is for this reason, my company is in business. We make test and measurement SW and HW for auto, medical, etc industries. Anyone that makes something must test it. NI is the test it.

Open loop is all the fun. It is in this mode that all the Chips, etc play with. It is in this mode Superchargers play. All cars operate in open loop the same. The goal is to adjust the fuel to the engine to make sure you does not burn it up. When does a car change from closed loop to open loop? It is a calculation in the computer at around 70% load. Load is a dynamic calculation based upon lots of things like speed, gear, RPM, etc. In any case, it does a good job turning from open to closed loop as needed.

Finally, what is open loop and how does it work? Open loop is pretty simple. The end goal to all is make sure you put enough gas in the cylinder so not run too hot. If one has more air compared to gas put into the cylinder it runs hotter. If the explosion in the cylinder is too hot, you burn a hole in the piston.

Open loop tuning of the engine is simply a look up table based upon testing at the factory. MB puts the engine on a dyno(loading down motor to simulate a road) and puts a 02(oxygen) sensor within one exhaust. Then they tune the fuel amount at each RPM so that the engine gets enough fuel not to run too hot. Remember, not to hot to burn a hole in pistons. How? It is trial and error during testing at MB. One sensor is the key and it is called the Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF). This sensor is in the airflow path to the engine and reads airflow. As the car’s RPM increases, the EEC reads the MAF. It simply looks up within a table in the EEC’s memory and says, “At this MAF reading I need to give this much gas through the injectors”. The table is created on the dyne when MB tuned the car engine.

A supercharger adds more air to the input flow. More air means more HP, but requires more gas. So, then with a supercharger, how does one add more gas? You get a chip or you trick the EEC.

If one keeps the EEC table the same but increases the fuel pressure at the fuel injectors, one gets a proportional increase in fuel into the cylinder. This is why HPS includes a device to increase fuel pressure ONLY when under boost. As boost increases the FMU increase fuel pressure, which in turn gives more gas to cylinders. HPS also includes an electronic fuel device to fine-tune the extra fuel into the cylinders.

To some, I am sure this is clear as mud.
Old 03-08-2004, 10:43 PM

CLK 55
latest

I used some of the NI daq hardware and SW to look at the MAF fuel tuning device HPS includes with the kit. I questioned how much noise was added to the MAF signal line. All looked very clean, as HPS included good filtering. Of course, in the ideal world, one would like to have a chip. But, this is a very good alternative (no need to crack the Computer case). I opened the fuel tuning box and all the parts a pot coated. Nice job HPS.

Installed the Fuel Management Unit that increases fuel pressures boost increases. This unit is main stream from many vendors and very thrust worthy. Just need to test for good vacume.

All in all, I am very pleased. This kit is off-the-shelf components packaged together is a complete kit.

No I am not being paid. I have many year under my belt playing with after market performance parts. HPS did a good job, but the only problem is that they only sale the kit for the Mercedes. Mercedes is a hard market to get volume unit sales.

All the electronics are in, as is the radiator relocation tank. Next is the supercharger bracket and things.

Need to travel to Europe for customer presentations, so it will be 3 weeks before I can mess with the install.

One more note, I designed a little mico to read several parameters: Boost, Fuel pressure, intercooler temp(when I add), and input air temp under boost. I installed a little LCD in the ash tray. Professional looking if I say so myself. Even blue like the radio.

later.

greg
Old 03-09-2004, 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Gregc

Sounds good Keep it coming!!! As I'm intrigue by your technical details...can you elaborate on the intercooler system you'll be retrofitting. I'm looking forward to testing HPS updated system very soon...also, just picked up the Japanese publication "Mercedes Only" and found that their system is now available to MB enthusiast in Japan.
Old 03-09-2004, 07:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Re: latest

Originally posted by gregc
Need to travel to Europe for customer presentations, so it will be 3 weeks before I can mess with the install.

Leave a key under the mat...we'll take care of her while you're away :p
Old 03-09-2004, 10:46 AM
Out Of Control!

Thumbs up

Greg

Great write up! Keep us posted. How much HP do you think after you're done with the install? And how much was the kit?