CLK55 AMG, CLK63 AMG (W208, W209) 2000 - 2010 (Two Generations)

has anyone had electrical problems?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 10:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
has anyone had electrical problems?

I have had a 2003 CLK 55 for about 4 months and in that time have had the following instances of electrical problems:
-sometimes the preset settings i have for the mirror and steering wheel dont go into effect when i start the car but the seat setting will.
-ill use the keyless go system to start the car and ill shift into drive and the red light will show up on the dash saying car is in park but ill be in drive. i call teleaid and they tell me to restart the car and its fine.
-the sunroof will act funny and not close smoothly. the dealer fixed this by installing a new sensor.
-the power in the drivers seat stopped working and i was unable to adjust it. the dealer replaced the sensor and it works ok now.

has anyone else had similar problems and should i be concerned i may have a lemon? any feedback would be much appreciated. otherwise, the car is amazing!
Old 01-04-2005, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK500/Range Rover HSE/E55 AMG/Bmw 328Xi coupe/BMW 4.8x/Bmw 335i/GS350/Audi S5/E350
The first electrical issue that you stated is common. If that happens you justh hold down your memory seat button and everythig will go in to place. NEver had the others tho. SOrry to hear....
Old 01-15-2005, 08:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W208
Originally Posted by dwax
I have had a 2003 CLK 55 for about 4 months and in that time have had the following instances of electrical problems:
-sometimes the preset settings i have for the mirror and steering wheel dont go into effect when i start the car but the seat setting will.
-ill use the keyless go system to start the car and ill shift into drive and the red light will show up on the dash saying car is in park but ill be in drive. i call teleaid and they tell me to restart the car and its fine.
-the sunroof will act funny and not close smoothly. the dealer fixed this by installing a new sensor.
-the power in the drivers seat stopped working and i was unable to adjust it. the dealer replaced the sensor and it works ok now.

has anyone else had similar problems and should i be concerned i may have a lemon? any feedback would be much appreciated. otherwise, the car is amazing!
I've had problems with dash cluster,clock,outside temp.dealer replaced.Power in passenger seat went out.Dealer fix.This on W208.I dont think you have a lemon.It just is what it is.I know what your thinking.For this kind of money! but it is what it is.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:52 PM

AMG, Ferrari, Lexus
I have a 2002 CLK55 coupe and so far I have gone thru 1 alternator and 2 power passenger headrests all with just 6K miles on the car. Its true that MB quality is heading downhill, but I love this car way to much to buy anything else... Just my $0.02.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:30 PM

CLK55
Originally Posted by dwax

lets see on my 2003 clk55
this vehicle has had
3 malfunctions to the wiring of the AC unit
5 Fiber optic failures
3 airbag malfunctions (with the wire)

thats just the electrical part
Old 01-17-2005, 06:48 PM

01 clk55 cpe
clk55amgbenz:
Damn, that's scary. How about now, anything major after the 6k miles?
Am I glad I got an extended warranty....but I wonder if headrests are covered.....hmmmm?!
If you plan to keep the car, you may want to consider purchasing the extended warranty now b4 your mfr warranty expires!
Old 01-18-2005, 11:26 AM

AMG, Ferrari, Lexus
Originally Posted by clk55fan
clk55amgbenz:
Damn, that's scary. How about now, anything major after the 6k miles?
Am I glad I got an extended warranty....but I wonder if headrests are covered.....hmmmm?!
If you plan to keep the car, you may want to consider purchasing the extended warranty now b4 your mfr warranty expires!
Oh BTW, I forgot to mention the battery. It died on me last summer. In regards to warranty, I don't know if an extended warranty can be purchased thru MB. They told me that the original owner has to purchase it before 1 year of ownership. I would like to purchase one that would cover AMG cars, any suggestions on some reputable places?
Old 01-21-2005, 02:35 AM
Almost a Member!

03 clk55
I've had:
- left xenon headlight doesn't come on consistently (have to turn lights on/off a few times to get it to activate) even after replacing ballast once
- driver seat headrest doesn't work intermittently (makes it hard to put the seat back b/c it always gets stuck in a high position)
Old 01-21-2005, 07:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
I guess I'm to be counted in the lucky...

In 2.5 years, I've had very few issues the my CLK. Hope your problems get resolved for you quickly.