CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

CLK63 Black Series vs. (997)911TT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 03:22 PM
JDB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Msrp

The MSRP on the CLK63 Black Series:

$135,000
No factory options (no additional charge for metallic paint)

Gas Guzzler Tax $2,600

Shipping $775.00 (California)

Total $138,375 + Tax & License, etc.

Now whether you have to pay a premium, or get a discount is purely up to you and your dealer/broker.

JDB
Old 02-23-2008, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
That's what I thought. The 127K is not MSRP, must be a discounted figure.
Old 02-23-2008, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by SoCalCLK
Was at MBZ of Long Beach, Calif. yesterday. They had a brand-new, never sold CLK63 AMG Black Series in white with a black interior.

The MSRP was $127,000 and the only "option" was Gas Guzzler tax, that's it.

Nice car, but I heard some customers say, "It's still just an overpriced CLK!"
MSRP on the Black is $135,000. Gas Guzzler is a tax not an option and is $2600.
S63's are $127,000. I know it can be a bit confusing on the showroom floor.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 CLK 63 Black Series, 2013 G63, 2014 RS5 Coupe, 2013 JKUR 10A
Originally Posted by SteveL
Very true. I was simply surprised how many were listed as available. I thought they had pretty much sold out and the only ones I would find were brokers trying to make a profit.

And since LZH is counting autotrader is now reporting 89.

Search Results
We found 89 Mercedes-Benz listings any distance from Saratoga, CA.
The 89 is overstated because it counts the total amount a dealer claims to have in stock which includes both exact matches and close matches (i.e cabs). there are probably at least 14 on a quick count which are close matches. Still a high number at 75 though. They are certainly available if someone wants one. It may be that the majority of the production was delivered in november and december just as the market was starting to tank and dealers trying to hold out for their price because of its limited production.
Old 02-23-2008, 11:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 AMG Black
Originally Posted by ET550
The 89 is overstated because it counts the total amount a dealer claims to have in stock which includes both exact matches and close matches (i.e cabs). there are probably at least 14 on a quick count which are close matches. Still a high number at 75 though. They are certainly available if someone wants one. It may be that the majority of the production was delivered in november and december just as the market was starting to tank and dealers trying to hold out for their price because of its limited production.
I think all of us who bought early predicted this circumstance. I certainly anticipated that I could pay full list (though more was initially demanded) at the onset, with a high liklihood of $5,000+ discounts later. Since one can't be sure the car you want will be available NEW later, it was worth it to me to enter early.
Lastly, while one can always make more money, you can't recapture lost time. So, the best time to do soemthing is when you will enjoy it most. If it was a pure matter of economics/value, we'd be in Mitsubishi's. AS
Old 02-24-2008, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by alexander stemer
I think all of us who bought early predicted this circumstance. I certainly anticipated that I could pay full list (though more was initially demanded) at the onset, with a high liklihood of $5,000+ discounts later. Since one can't be sure the car you want will be available NEW later, it was worth it to me to enter early.
Lastly, while one can always make more money, you can't recapture lost time. So, the best time to do soemthing is when you will enjoy it most. If it was a pure matter of economics/value, we'd be in Mitsubishi's. AS
Could not have said it any better myself. What's 5, 10 or even 20 grand in the grand scheme of things when you are talking about $150k when is all said and done. I'd have rather spent 10% over list (which I did not) to to make sure I got one, rather than trying to play the waiting game to see if the price came down a couple bucks.

The one thing I would be interested in knowing is, of all the BS's for sale, how many are being sold new vs. used (titled). My concern would be if only a small percentage of them sold, M-B and AMG may pull the Black Series project all together, or stop shipping them to North America because of flat sales. Does anyone know how the BS's are selling elsewhere in the world? I was kind of hoping they would build a next generation CLK BS a few years down the road.

Last edited by jrcart; 02-24-2008 at 09:04 AM.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:04 PM

C43, SLK32, CLK63 Black Series
How many in total were produced? I thought I heard the original plan was something like 350 but was it increased to 500? And was that just in the US? What are the world wide production numbers?

I looked at one today at Autobahn Motors in Belmont, CA. They have a new black one. They are pretty impressive. Sounded amazing. Loved the diffuser. As with all cars, I do wish it was lighter. My RS4 is an absolutely piglet at 3900 lbs. Very tempting. I also wish for $135K they had ceramic brakes. Congrats to all of the owners. Still debating whether I should join the club or not.

I did notice that there is a pretty big gap with the rocker panel just in front of the rear wheel and just behind the front wheel. I could also get my finger in it. It that normal? The fit an finish the rest of the car was great but the rocker panel on this car didn't seem to fit properly. I noticed it of course because the car is black and water than collects and dries one the rocker panel in the gap looks white, like a mineral stain. I checked both sides of the car and it was the same. Just curious if this is normal.

Originally Posted by ET550
Old 02-24-2008, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by jrcart
Could not have said it any better myself. What's 5, 10 or even 20 grand in the grand scheme of things when you are talking about $150k when is all said and done. I'd have rather spent 10% over list (which I did not) to to make sure I got one, rather than trying to play the waiting game to see if the price came down a couple bucks.

The one thing I would be interested in knowing is, of all the BS's for sale, how many are being sold new vs. used (titled). My concern would be if only a small percentage of them sold, M-B and AMG may pull the Black Series project all together, or stop shipping them to North America because of flat sales. Does anyone know how the BS's are selling elsewhere in the world? I was kind of hoping they would build a next generation CLK BS a few years down the road.
I would never pay over list as a matter of principle. Manufactures need to get a better hold over their dealers in the major conurbations and stop this practice. To have one of the first cars it is worth paying MSRP and I would not expect to pay less. However missing out on the 5-10k discount one gets by waiting and the peace of mind of version 2.0 should be the extent of the penalty.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 W205 C43 AMG
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
MSRP on the Black is $135,000. Gas Guzzler is a tax not an option and is $2600.
S63's are $127,000. I know it can be a bit confusing on the showroom floor.
Hey guys, my apologies. I looked at an S63 AMG as well as a CL63 AMG and their prices all ended in a "7", LOL.

You're right, the CLK63 BS was right around $137,000/MSRP.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2008 CLK 63 Black Series, 2013 G63, 2014 RS5 Coupe, 2013 JKUR 10A
How many in total were produced? I thought I heard the original plan was something like 350 but was it increased to 500? And was that just in the US? What are the world wide production numbers?

I looked at one today at Autobahn Motors in Belmont, CA. They have a new black one. They are pretty impressive. Sounded amazing. Loved the diffuser. As with all cars, I do wish it was lighter. My RS4 is an absolutely piglet at 3900 lbs. Very tempting. I also wish for $135K they had ceramic brakes. Congrats to all of the owners. Still debating whether I should join the club or not.

I did notice that there is a pretty big gap with the rocker panel just in front of the rear wheel and just behind the front wheel. I could also get my finger in it. It that normal? The fit an finish the rest of the car was great but the rocker panel on this car didn't seem to fit properly. I noticed it of course because the car is black and water than collects and dries one the rocker panel in the gap looks white, like a mineral stain. I checked both sides of the car and it was the same. Just curious if this is normal.
350 for the U.S. total. Another 150-350 for Europe depending on demand for a total of 500-700 total worldwide production. I have the same gaps on the rocker panels. So now that you have seen it and heard it, the only thing left to do is go for a test drive and see if its worth it.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:01 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition

You must have small fingers....
As Jcart said...drive it and you will be amazed. I let my wife drive mine for the first time the other day...with me riding shotgun of course...first thing she said was "holy *****, this thing is scary"....she then said, "Now I know what you've been talking about, it feels like a precision instrument, like a scalpel...."
She then realized that driving this thing quickly is actually not as easy at it looks and said she would never attempt to throw it around like I do with ease. It really is an amazing car and after some seat time it does actually feel like an extension of your body. That's how good the handling is....
Old 02-24-2008, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by LZH
You must have small fingers....
As Jcart said...drive it and you will be amazed. I let my wife drive mine for the first time the other day...with me riding shotgun of course...first thing she said was "holy *****, this thing is scary"....she then said, "Now I know what you've been talking about, it feels like a precision instrument, like a scalpel...."
She then realized that driving this thing quickly is actually not as easy at it looks and said she would never attempt to throw it around like I do with ease. It really is an amazing car and after some seat time it does actually feel like an extension of your body. That's how good the handling is....
Thanks for the review of the handling. I could get the tip of my index finger in almost to the bottom of my finger nail, had to squeeze in there. Of course I am asking because if I do get it, I want to make sure to have them fix it before delivery. On the car I looked at, the gap was at least 1/4 of an inch, maybe a little more.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:47 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Thanks for the review of the handling. I could get the tip of my index finger in almost to the bottom of my finger nail, had to squeeze in there. Of course I am asking because if I do get it, I want to make sure to have them fix it before delivery. On the car I looked at, the gap was at least 1/4 of an inch, maybe a little more.
Fix it how ??? My car has the same gaps. I've measured them and they are identical front to back and side to side. Not sure what all the b!tching and moaning is about these cars and the fit and finish....creased fenders, gaps here and there....It's not like the gaps you refer to are only on one side, or only on certain cars....it's a unique build characteristic that is common to EVERY CAR. If little crap like that bothers you, then buy some mass produced piece of crap from Japan.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:02 PM
slm

CLK63 AMG BS, Ferrari CS, GL450, R500, 1985 Porsche dp 935 Cab
I think they are all made like that. Mine has it also. The gap does make it a bit easier to get that area clean.

I agree with the others, if you drive this car you will want one. It is that good. I also have a Ferrari Challenge Stradale. The two cars are an interesting comparison as both are made to be "street legal track cars". They are both blisteringly fast and handling is well beyond belief. However, they arrive at this point in different ways. The BS is certainly a larger car and has a full interior which I think is very tastefully done and is more comfortable and quiet. I really like the seats in the BS. They are comfortable and you are really immobilized. One of the real plusses for the BS is that I never hesitate to get in the car and just go anywhere. There is not much to worry about. I love both cars, but if I had to have just one, I would probably keep the BS.

Just my humble 2 cents. Buy one and enjoy!!!
Old 02-24-2008, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ahhh, the purpose of the side skirts are to direct the air UNDER the car. Did you check to see if there were any aero gaps where the skirts mates to the under body? There is a big difference between looks and function as this car is about function. As far as carbon brakes, just check at the problems porsche has had and not stepping up to the warrantee claims on carbon brakes. Seems to be great on paper but hasn't panned out for the dedicated track guys.

You seem to be hung up on bits and not driving so I don't think this car is for you. I think you would be better off getting a GT3 porsche. It's cheaper and has approval of all the car mags. In addition it falls in line as a natural progression for Audi and BMW owners.

If I could draw a comparison, the golf club I belong to has as about 350 members, and the buy in was about the same as a Black. Most of the GT3's are over at the muni course which isn't bad, but they would rather not have to play with the occasional caddy's.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:11 AM

.... As far as carbon brakes, just check at the problems porsche has had and not stepping up to the warrantee claims on carbon brakes. Seems to be great on paper but hasn't panned out for the dedicated track guys.
This is just plain wrong (for all generations based upon a lot of practical experience and), and an old wives tale!

I have the GT3 alongside the Black Series, and while the brakes are very good on the Black Series, Porsche (and Ferrari) ceramics are an order of magnitude better.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by fickleone
This is just plain wrong (for all generations based upon a lot of practical experience and), and an old wives tale!

I have the GT3 alongside the Black Series, and while the brakes are very good on the Black Series, Porsche (and Ferrari) ceramics are an order of magnitude better.
Apparently this has been a hotly debated topic on Rennlist for a while and I don't think it's old wife's tales. The Gen 2 PCCB have been a great improvement, but other than feel it seems many of the track junkies still prefer steel and are very vocal about the shortcomings of the PCCB. So, I am not the only one that shares this opinion. Out curiosity, why don't GT 3 Cup car come with PCCB's?
Old 02-25-2008, 12:51 PM

Because I asked if the rocker panels were correct on the car I looked at and wanted to know if it was normal? So you can't want the car to be right on delivery AND want to drive. I've taken delivery of many new cars. It is always easier to get things resolved before taking delivery than after. So if your $135K BS had a few dings and scratches before you even owned it, you would just accept it because you are so keen on driving?

You seem to be hung up on bits and not driving so I don't think this car is for you.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Out curiosity, why don't GT 3 Cup car come with PCCB's?
Because when changing tires in the pitlane carbon ceramic brakes are prone to cracking when hot so are delicate. If accidentally hit by the bolt drill then the race for that driver is over. This is common knowledge.

As regards your unnecessary rudeness to SteveL, well I can't explain that one.
Old 02-25-2008, 02:01 PM
LZH
Banned

So if your $135K BS had a few dings and scratches before you even owned it, you would just accept it because you are so keen on driving?
No, I would get another car. But dings and scratches are not design characteristics made at the factory.