CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

CO2 Emissions - This Can't Be Good for AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 01:53 PM
JDB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
CO2 Emissions - This Can't Be Good for AMG

Just saw this in the business news . . .

This certainly can't be good news for the future of AMG, or performance driving in Germany . . .

http://news.smh.com.au/world/france-...0610-2o38.html

JDB
Old 06-09-2008, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
08 SL55
this kind of stuff along with the CAFE standards for 2020, big displacement high performance vehicles are going to be legislated right out of existence..... anyone remember the 70's?
Old 06-09-2008, 02:06 PM
JDB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Might be the end of an era

Hi Chuck,

Yes, I remember, and I am concerned for the future of the cars that we all love to drive.

I began to really feel this coming, last year, when I was at the Frankfurt Auto Show and observed how the Mercedes-Benz exhibit was laid out. No emphasis on performance, only selling-point being emphasized was low-emissions and "green". AMG was relegated to a tiny corner of the mezzanine, sort of reminded me that AMG was just an afterthought, and that they were forced to invite them to the party.

I think we had better enjoy these cars while we still can . . .

JDB
Old 06-09-2008, 03:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
I'm holding out hope that we''ll be able to have our cake and eat it too; that is, I think auto manufacturers will come up with ways to maintain or exceed the performance levels we have today while also lowering emissions. Being the car fanatic that I am, I'm just glad I don't live in Europe (particularly the UK) at the moment. It's a much harder sell impossing those types of things in the US and Canada where are geography is much more spread out (Heck, I think all of Europe could fit into some Canadian provinces) and with the way our political systems work....
Old 06-09-2008, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 AMG Black
Originally Posted by chuck z
this kind of stuff along with the CAFE standards for 2020, big displacement high performance vehicles are going to be legislated right out of existence..... anyone remember the 70's?
Been to London recently? There is so much photo radar, high performance cars are ridiculous. When they impose that here (and it is coming), that will be the official end of the ride.
A friend in London says she expects about 150 pounds in mailed fines monthly.

You can be green and have performance, if 2000 pound cars can be legally made (gives up a bunch of crash protection stuff), but what good is it if there is a radar camera on every block?

In Chicago, we now have "yellow light "cameras that result in tickets if you are caught entering an intersection on a yellow. It is a contracted service, and the city makes about $500,000 per year off of each camera.
These have now been added to construction zones, with double penalties for the second offense.

Any suggested solutions?? AS
Old 06-09-2008, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
Thankfully I live in a very small city so that helps. Also, getting out of the city and finding a road that goes for miles with no police, traffic or cameras is not that difficult to do. Yellow light cameras??
Old 06-09-2008, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
08 SL55
Originally Posted by alexander stemer
Been to London recently? There is so much photo radar, high performance cars are ridiculous. When they impose that here (and it is coming), that will be the official end of the ride.
A friend in London says she expects about 150 pounds in mailed fines monthly.
they will say it's for safety... my a$$! revenue generation at it finest......

In Chicago, we now have "yellow light "cameras that result in tickets if you are caught entering an intersection on a yellow. It is a contracted service, and the city makes about $500,000 per year off of each camera.
Charlotte actually had the "red light" cameras for a while but bagged them all b/c the cost/revenue benefit wasn't favorable enough for the city. The were quoting the same kind of numbers per camera. What a joke!

These have now been added to construction zones, with double penalties for the second offense.
see my first comment....

Last edited by user z478747; 06-09-2008 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
TURBOS! That is the only solution, smaller displacement, highly fuel efficiant, lower emmisions and high HP figures. Porsche and most of the Japanesse manufacturers figured this out decades ago and have been building light weight, small displacement high performance cars ever since.