CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Finally got my BS to the track

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 63 BS
Originally Posted by MOFLO
Did you install the SS brake lines?

Why does RPM not register on the vbox?
Ordered the SS and waiting for delivery, and working on getting the RPM connected do you have advice on this? Many thanks MOFLO
Old 01-21-2015, 01:04 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK63 AMG Black Series
I'm just starting to look into data logging sytems to use on the CLK. If I come across something about the RPM, I'll let you know.

What is your rotor temps after getting off the track?

Is the hand brake used while the car is parked in the paddock area (in between sessions)?
Although it doesn't matter being its not brake fluid controlled but a good practice for it not to be used.

How long is each track session? 20 minutes or more?

Last edited by MOFLO; 01-21-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:25 PM

CLK 63 BS
The vVBOX can capture a lot of data I just need to connect it

Rotor temp? Hmmmmm I don't know how to measure this but it's hot enough for me to light a cigarette (I actually do)
Yep never use handbrake during track days they would lock your brakes!
I usually run 25 minute sessions 8-9 laps if I am pushing the car. My first session is usually longer but that's when I am going slow to heat up the tyres and basically making sure that everything is in place
Old 01-21-2015, 09:07 PM

CLK 63 BS
Did you install the SS brake lines?

Why does RPM not register on the vbox?
Managed to get through to stop tech (after buying the lines through tire rack) and here is there reply on the SS lines :
"Those part numbers are only suitable up to the 06 model year, newer models would require a different line set which we have not developed."
Weird that it clearly says 2008 on their website! Any ideas on this MOFLO?
Old 01-21-2015, 11:07 PM

CLK63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by seiffikry

Rotor temp? Hmmmmm I don't know how to measure this but it's hot enough for me to light a cigarette (I actually do)
Yep never use handbrake during track days they would lock your brakes!
I usually run 25 minute sessions 8-9 laps if I am pushing the car. My first session is usually longer but that's when I am going slow to heat up the tyres and basically making sure that everything is in place
If you have a infrared temperature meter you an measure the rotor temp. This may help diagnose possible brake problems.

Something like this: http://en-us.fluke.com/products/thermometers/

or you're simply over heating/using the brakes?!?!?!?
Old 01-21-2015, 11:09 PM

CLK63 AMG Black Series
Managed to get through to stop tech (after buying the lines through tire rack) and here is there reply on the SS lines :
"Those part numbers are only suitable up to the 06 model year, newer models would require a different line set which we have not developed."
Sure hope its not the wrong part number. Well I'll find out this weekend when I try to install the StopTech SS lines I bought already. I'll let you know next week.
Old 01-21-2015, 11:52 PM

CLK 63 BS
If you have a infrared temperature meter you an measure the rotor temp. This may help diagnose possible brake problems.

Something like this: http://en-us.fluke.com/products/thermometers/

or you're simply over heating/using the brakes?!?!?!?
Not sure yet, but according to data I am putting .9 g's on breaking so that's not a big figure I guess. The gt2 and 3 used to record 1.4 g's
Old 01-22-2015, 11:55 AM

CLK63 AMG Black Series
Here is the link to the manual for the Micro Input Module for the vbox.
http://www.racelogic.co.uk/_download...N01_Manual.pdf

It doesn't appear to be 'plug-n-play'. Would be nice if it had an ODBII connector to easily plug in and get all the data input (RPM,Speed,etc) right off the ECU.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:57 AM

CLK63 AMG Black Series
Not sure yet, but according to data I am putting .9 g's on breaking so that's not a big figure I guess. The gt2 and 3 used to record 1.4 g's
I may have missed it earlier but what wheel/tire setup are you running?
Old 01-22-2015, 01:33 PM

CLK 63 BS
I may have missed it earlier but what wheel/tire setup are you running?
305/30/19 265/30/19 pilot sport cup (semi slicks)
Old 01-22-2015, 01:35 PM

CLK 63 BS
Here is the link to the manual for the Micro Input Module for the vbox.
http://www.racelogic.co.uk/_download...N01_Manual.pdf

It doesn't appear to be 'plug-n-play'. Would be nice if it had an ODBII connector to easily plug in and get all the data input (RPM,Speed,etc) right off the ECU.
No it's not a simple plug and play. U are better off taking speed from the antenna it's more accurate. Will keep u posted what I can read from the cars ECU
Old 01-28-2015, 09:53 PM

CLK63 AMG Black Series
Quick update on the StopTech SS lines that I bought and installed over the weekend. I did the front brakes including new Girodiscs, EBC RedStuff, and StopTech SS lines and bled the brake system with Motul RBF 660. Some pictures attached.

The StopTech SS part numbers noted in the previous posts work great!
Attached Thumbnails Finally got my BS to the track-stoptech-ss-resized.jpeg   Finally got my BS to the track-originalfitment-resized.jpeg   Finally got my BS to the track-ss-fitment-resized.jpeg   Finally got my BS to the track-new-front-brake-resized.jpeg  
Old 01-29-2015, 11:48 AM

CLK 63 BS
Quick update on the StopTech SS lines that I bought and installed over the weekend. I did the front brakes including new Girodiscs, EBC RedStuff, and StopTech SS lines and bled the brake system with Motul RBF 660. Some pictures attached.

TELL ME MORE!!!!
Did that soft first travel of the pedal disappear?
Old 01-29-2015, 12:22 PM

CLK63 AMG Black Series
TELL ME MORE!!!!
Did that soft first travel of the pedal disappear?
I still need to do the rear brakes and will bleed the brake system a few more times. In general, the pedal feels firmer but still has some soft (bounciness) which I think is the air in the lines.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:59 PM

2008 CLK63 BS

I had my Girodics Cryogenically treated, hopefully they last longer than no treatment. Not sure if you checked, but the front rotors are 4.5lbs lighter per rotor! I never tried Redstuff, have been using Yellowstuff with no complaints.

Mike
Old 02-06-2015, 01:59 PM

CLK 63 BS
Great day, new format for me max three hot laps followed by a cool down lap managed to survive any brake fade!!!

ENJOY THE VIDEO GUYS! (Please no comments on the music as I just picked a track that's 7 minutes long!)

Old 02-06-2015, 02:12 PM

2008 CLK63 BS
That looks like such a beautiful track, so much fun.

Mike
Old 02-19-2015, 01:26 AM

CLK 63 BS
I still need to do the rear brakes and will bleed the brake system a few more times. In general, the pedal feels firmer but still has some soft (bounciness) which I think is the air in the lines.
MOFLO i just received my SS lines (the shipment was lost! but managed to track it down). whats the update on your brakes? major difference?
i am waiting for new Yellow stuff as i finished the ones i have (two track days!!) and when the yellow stuff arrives i will do all jobs in one go (SS lines + Pads)
Old 02-19-2015, 01:33 PM

CLK63 AMG Black Series
MOFLO i just received my SS lines (the shipment was lost! but managed to track it down). whats the update on your brakes? major difference?
i am waiting for new Yellow stuff as i finished the ones i have (two track days!!) and when the yellow stuff arrives i will do all jobs in one go (SS lines + Pads)
No track day yet but spirited street/canyon/mountain driving and pedal feel is definitely where it should be now, firm all the way through. I feel much more confident in the brakes now with the SS lines, girodisc, and RBF 660.

I'm surprised you finished the yellow pad after two track days! You should give EBC's blue or orange pads a try.

Has your brake fluid changed colors or boiled out from the cap? If so, try Motul RBF 660. I used the RBF 600 in my W210 (5000lbs) car with no issues. I'm sure the RBF 660 version will handle the CLK63BS even in your extremely hot weather. Also take full advantage of the cool down lap with minimal brake usage. It really helps.

Cheers!
Old 02-19-2015, 02:37 PM

2008 CLK63 BS
You must be driving a lot faster than I am to have your Yellowstuffs be finished after 2 track days. I can see mine lasting all year at least.

Mike
Old 03-13-2015, 02:34 PM

CLK 63 BS
Originally Posted by Euro
You must be driving a lot faster than I am to have your Yellowstuffs be finished after 2 track days. I can see mine lasting all year at least.

Mike
I drive the car like I stole it hahahahahahahhaha!
Old 03-13-2015, 02:39 PM

CLK 63 BS
No track day yet but spirited street/canyon/mountain driving and pedal feel is definitely where it should be now, firm all the way through. I feel much more confident in the brakes now with the SS lines, girodisc, and RBF 660.

I'm surprised you finished the yellow pad after two track days! You should give EBC's blue or orange pads a try.

Has your brake fluid changed colors or boiled out from the cap? If so, try Motul RBF 660. I used the RBF 600 in my W210 (5000lbs) car with no issues. I'm sure the RBF 660 version will handle the CLK63BS even in your extremely hot weather. Also take full advantage of the cool down lap with minimal brake usage. It really helps.

Cheers!
I think it's the 660 fluid that's the highest temp oil. I do now two hot laps and one cool down lap (minor braking) and it does make a difference. Still am not happy with the brakes. I don't loose them any more but they do soften a lot under heavy driving. Has anyone use the renntech brake air ducts? Any advise on bigger rotters?
Old 03-13-2015, 02:41 PM

CLK 63 BS
My best lap on the Gremlin! Nearly broke the 2 minute barrier on the international circuit! Getting close to the GT3 figures down here in Dubai!

Old 03-15-2015, 12:04 PM

CLK63 AMG Black Series
My best lap on the Gremlin! Nearly broke the 2 minute barrier on the international circuit! Getting close to the GT3 figures down here in Dubai!
Great track day! There is definitely an improvement of car control, driving line and braking compared to your initial videos. Remember smooth inputs is faster times even though it doesn't 'feel' like it.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:21 PM

CLK63 AMG Black Series
I think it's the 660 fluid that's the highest temp oil. I do now two hot laps and one cool down lap (minor braking) and it does make a difference. Still am not happy with the brakes. I don't loose them any more but they do soften a lot under heavy driving. Has anyone use the renntech brake air ducts? Any advise on bigger rotters?

There are a few factors that come affect the brake temps that we discuss in previous posts, driving style being one of them. I don't recall if you are using the factory or upgraded rotors?

All steel rotors are going to retain a percentage of the heat generated on heavy braking. Some of the newer advance rotors made with various metals may dissipate heat better. The rotor size (like brembo GTR) may make a noticeable difference compared to material of the rotor or brake pads for heat dissipation. Try different brake pad materials like Blue or Orange stuff from EBC.

You may have to go with a different material all together, like carbon ceramic or carbon carbon rotors and pads. With the GTR or Carbon brakes, you will need at least 20" wheels to fit over the brakes.

I posted a similar question in the private lounge:
http://www.mercedes-amg.com/privatel...otor-Air-Ducts

Good luck!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Finally got my BS to the track