CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Padles not very responsive....? Other ?'s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 07:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 G63 | 2011 LP570
Padles not very responsive....? Other ?'s

Is this just the nature of the beast or could there be software updates maybe that my car does not have? I drove another CLK63BS and the padles seemed more responsive... Any TSB's or updates of any sort? Also anything else I should look out for taking the car in for service @ 3300 miles? Change oil, rear dif oil if not done? Expected price? Sorry for the rambling. TIA.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 AMG Black
I think we all deal with that and have unrealistic hopes of a quick software improvement. I have found the greatest consistency in leaving the selectoion in "S". braking late and hard with constant pressure on the left paddle to get the lowest gear. Then leave the paddles alone and accelerate to red line. The trans will give you a sharp crisp upshift at redline.
Anybody have a better technique? AS
Old 07-30-2008, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
dont believe so

The paddles suck on these 7 speeds. Honestly I don't even bother using them.

I would expect that only the SL63 with the new tranny works well with paddles.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:28 PM

2012 Cayenne Turbo
Yeah the paddle shifting bites. I went from an M6 with SMG to this pathetic system. The paddles are almost useless. Why Mercedes doesn't adopt an SMG or DCT type paddle system is beyond me (especially on their more sporty models).
Old 07-30-2008, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
I wish we had a larger shifter handle, as I like tapping it sideways to shift the trans up & down.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 AMG Black
I was playing around with it today (because of this thread) and feel it is definitely quicker to respond in "M". The downshifts are about as fast as you can blip/shift a six speed manual, and the upshifts are adequate- not as crisp as just flooring it and letting it shift at the redline in "S", but good enough as the torque band is so wide (giving up 200 rpm doesn't matter on the upshift).
Personally, I like it more than my 6speed 02 996tt Porsche, but not a much as I like my 1953 Kurtis with a Jericho (not exactly original equipment there).
A Porsche tip is better at reading what you want, but giving up 2 gears is too big a sacrifice compared to our cars. AS
Old 07-31-2008, 02:50 AM
JDB

CLK63 Black Series
Check for Damaged Switches

I started to notice problems upshifting when using the paddles.

I found that my right-hand paddle shifter switch was cracked. Inspect the backside of the steering wheel to make sure that both switches appear to be solidly seated. Mine appeared loose and the whole switch assembly was moving whenever I would attempt to shift.

Dealer diagnosed the problem, ordered a new pair of paddle shifters, and replaced both sides. The left-hand switch was beginning to develop a crack as well. After replacement, the car shifts as it should, once again.

JDB

Trending Topics

Old 08-01-2008, 08:38 AM

2014 G63 | 2011 LP570
Originally Posted by JDB
I started to notice problems upshifting when using the paddles.

I found that my right-hand paddle shifter switch was cracked. Inspect the backside of the steering wheel to make sure that both switches appear to be solidly seated. Mine appeared loose and the whole switch assembly was moving whenever I would attempt to shift.

Dealer diagnosed the problem, ordered a new pair of paddle shifters, and replaced both sides. The left-hand switch was beginning to develop a crack as well. After replacement, the car shifts as it should, once again.

JDB
Funny you say this cause I was having a problem upshifting also. Sure enough look at the paddle and it is coming out of the steering column when pulled. Dealer ordered new one so will wait the install. Good call JDB!
Old 08-01-2008, 10:14 AM
JDB

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by slykmr
Funny you say this cause I was having a problem upshifting also. Sure enough look at the paddle and it is coming out of the steering column when pulled. Dealer ordered new one so will wait the install. Good call JDB!
We do what we can . . .

Always glad to help out . . .

JDB