CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

My BS and Stradale at the track and ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 CLK BS
My BS and Stradale at the track and ...

The track in question is the Roval at the California Speedway. 2.88 mile course that consists of the high speed banks and interior road course.

I've had a Stradale on the track before and was always impressed with it's track prowess. Ferrari created an almost perfect blend of a street/track car - not perfect for either but just the right blend to enjoy the car in both environments.

Since I had never tracked the BS I was excited to run it so it was first up. By the third lap I had easily passed a new Z06, M5, ISF, R35 and a few other potent machines. I was running in step with a modified Noble and was blown away at how well the car was handling! I figured it would do well but it surpassed my expectations!

I then took the Stradale out and lo and behold ... it wasn't as thrilling as the BS had been! Very similar times although I honestly believe the BS could have ultimately been faster around a track like the Roval due to its massive torque. I was not used to the BS (only have 600 miles on it) and still put down an identical time to the Stradale! A little more seat time in the BS and I'm sure it would be faster around the Roval than the Stradale.

Again this is probably a good track for the BS because of it's torque. All in all - a great day for the BS. I loved the car before I tracked it and love it even more now!
Old 11-21-2008, 07:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Nice write up. It seems its the same byline. Went to the track kicked everybodys *** and they couldn't believe its a mercedes! BTW, was the Nobel a metalic brown driver Rob Green?
Old 11-21-2008, 09:23 PM

2008 CLK BS
Originally Posted by Jim Brady
Nice write up. It seems its the same byline. Went to the track kicked everybodys *** and they couldn't believe its a mercedes! BTW, was the Nobel a metalic brown driver Rob Green?
No. Black Noble. Modified. Cool watching it shoot flames out the tail pipes on all the up shifts!
Old 11-22-2008, 12:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
2012 CLS63, 2009 Scud, 1978 930 Turbo
Maybe it's because the previous owner of your Stradale flogged it too much????
Old 11-22-2008, 02:53 AM

2008 CLK BS
Originally Posted by wolfturbo
Maybe it's because the previous owner of your Stradale flogged it too much????
It wasn't THAT Stradale! THAT Stradale is safely tucked away in my garage! It was my other Stradale!

Consequently ... you owe yourself one of these cars Rob! Incredible machines. Very impressive!
Old 11-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another testament on why a true enthusiast should a masterpiece.

Great write up!
Old 11-22-2008, 12:18 PM

What I don't understand is:

Why has it taken so many knowledgeable enthusiasts so long to figure out just how brilliantly the Black Series performs.... negative bias, perhaps?

This car will become a legend, some day!
Old 11-22-2008, 12:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
2012 CLS63, 2009 Scud, 1978 930 Turbo
Originally Posted by Tipo815
It wasn't THAT Stradale! THAT Stradale is safely tucked away in my garage! It was my other Stradale!

Consequently ... you owe yourself one of these cars Rob! Incredible machines. Very impressive!

Glad to hear that my Stradale has maintained it's "garage queen" status and that you opted to take your "beater" Stradale to the track!!

You're my hero!!!
Old 11-22-2008, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by wolfturbo

Glad to hear that my Stradale has maintained it's "garage queen" status and that you opted to take your "beater" Stradale to the track!!

You're my hero!!!
Hey Rob,
What ever happened to that Stradale you autocrossed? I forgot the name of the shop that did the body work, you could hardly tell on the repaint.
Would you stop lurking and buy the Black.
Jimmy
Old 11-22-2008, 10:16 PM

2008 CLK BS
Originally Posted by fickleone
What I don't understand is:

Why has it taken so many knowledgeable enthusiasts so long to figure out just how brilliantly the Black Series performs.... negative bias, perhaps?

This car will become a legend, some day!
I can only speak for myself and perhaps others will echo similar sentiments.

When the BS first appeared I immediately fell in love with it! It was a masterpiece and had the performance stats to back it up. I knew I wanted one. However, it was very difficult for me to swallow a MSRP of $138,000 for a CLK-based car (despite everything it represented).

When the cars started to dip below $100k I started to pay attention. The right opportunity presented itself and I decided it was time to make my move. I knew I would be impressed but did not realize how impressed I would be.

It's simple. If you're considering a BS ... buy one. You won't be disappointed.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:22 PM

2008 CLK BS
A few pics from the track ...
Attached Thumbnails My BS and Stradale at the track and ...-img_6896.jpg   My BS and Stradale at the track and ...-img_6897.jpg   My BS and Stradale at the track and ...-img_6898.jpg  
Old 11-23-2008, 05:32 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black Series
I like the Black a lot! However, to be clinically objective, it's my 4th most enjoyable of my toys on Road America: CGT, F430 Scud, GT3RS and then the BS. Maybe it is the long straights or my style of driving, but for me it doesn't match its garage siblings come track day. On the road, I really enjoy it.
Old 11-23-2008, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by GoFastKindaGuy
I like the Black a lot! However, to be clinically objective, it's my 4th most enjoyable of my toys on Road America: CGT, F430 Scud, GT3RS and then the BS. Maybe it is the long straights or my style of driving, but for me it doesn't match its garage siblings come track day. On the road, I really enjoy it.
GoFKG
"Clinically objective" in this forum? I be curious to know what the lap time differential between the cars given the high speed of RA.

Subjectively I believe the Black was easier to drive fast that a GT3/RS and I've pretty much had my way with GT3's on high speed tracks. The CGT is really in another league and even a mediocre driver cleaned my clock at WSIR so you won't get any argument from me there. A Scud should be faster but haven't seen ANY show up on track days. BTW, nice stable.
Jimmy
Old 11-24-2008, 08:35 AM

CLK 63 AMG Black Series
...I be curious to know what the lap time differential between the cars given the high speed of RA.

Subjectively I believe the Black was easier to drive fast that a GT3/RS and I've pretty much had my way with GT3's on high speed tracks...

...A Scud should be faster but haven't seen ANY show up on track days.
Though the CGT has a 14% power to weight advantage over the Scud, I'm only seeing 1 to 3 second faster lap times which I attribute to the Scud's 60 ms shift time. I can carry more speed and exit faster.

Though I have not made timed run comparisons, I can drive the RS, while I'm struggling with the BS. Maybe because I have more 911 seat time, the RS seems more engaged and more planted. The manual RS is always in the power band; the BS has a shift lag that makes it difficult to peg the right gear with the automatic transmission. Also, TC is always smoking the rear brakes trying to save me from myself. As expected, both are as slower on the long straights than Scud and CGT.

Make no mistake, the BS is an absolute blast to drive at RA -- and on the road. In this league, differences are amusing more than disappointing. If I didn't love the BS, I wouldn't own it!
Old 11-24-2008, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Though the CGT has a 14% power to weight advantage over the Scud, I'm only seeing 1 to 3 second faster lap times which I attribute to the Scud's 60 ms shift time. I can carry more speed and exit faster.

Though I have not made timed run comparisons, I can drive the RS, while I'm struggling with the BS. Maybe because I have more 911 seat time, the RS seems more engaged and more planted. The manual RS is always in the power band; the BS has a shift lag that makes it difficult to peg the right gear with the automatic transmission. Also, TC is always smoking the rear brakes trying to save me from myself. As expected, both are as slower on the long straights than Scud and CGT.

Make no mistake, the BS is an absolute blast to drive at RA -- and on the road. In this league, differences are amusing more than disappointing. If I didn't love the BS, I wouldn't own it!
FWIW, I'm about 2-3 seconds a lap faster in the Black with the ESP off on a 2.5 mile road course as it far too intrusive unlike a F430. Given your rear engine stable there is a different technique with the immediate on slaught of torque.
Jimmy
Old 11-24-2008, 03:11 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black Series
FWIW, I'm about 2-3 seconds a lap faster in the Black with the ESP off on a 2.5 mile road course as it far too intrusive unlike a F430. Given your rear engine stable there is a different technique with the immediate on slaught of torque.
Jimmy
I did come weight/power calculations and on paper, the BS is disadvantaged about 6.3% to the RS. Nevertheless, I'll have to try "Herr Schwartz" with the ESP off (come Spring -- it snowed here this morning). Gotta admit, as light as the tail is in the BS, I'm a little intimidated by turning it off. But I will.

I had a pro race driver ride with me a few laps. His guidance:
"Drive it like a DTM!"

I said, "OK. How do I do that?" I'm starting to get the knack.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:46 PM

2008 CLK BS
I would say the BS and Stradale are both inspiring cars on the track albeit for different reasons. I like the BS because it has tremendous torque and is very confidence inspiring. The Stradale is more of handful which can (occasionally) be more fun since it really operates on a knife edge with far less computer-aided input than the BS.

I've never tracked my other cars and really don't have a desire to for fear of crashing one of them! Not that I would care less if the BS or Stradale hit the wall but I can't even fathom the CGT or F40 even picking up an errant rock chip!

I am in the market for a Scud but am being patient. Time is on my side in terms of being able to acquire one for an attractive price!

Last edited by Tipo815; 11-24-2008 at 11:47 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

"I like the BS because it has tremendous torque and is very confidence inspiring."

Exactly!

Jimmy