CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Back with Black! Launch Control Q...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 10:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 GL450, 2009 G55 Mocha Black with Cognac Interior, 08 911 Turbo Cab, 08 CLK63 Black Series
Back with Black! Launch Control Q...

Hi All,

I have been away from the CLKs since I sold my beloved CLK55 Kleemann. Well, I am back now and just bought a CLK63 Black Series that I may or may not keep (price was very good so it may be interesting to resell). But I took the car out for the first time yesterday and it really is a thing of beauty, so raw, LOVE IT!

So, my questions is, does the car have Launch Control? If not, has anyone mastered the technic in this car yet?

Thanks in advance,

Learso
Boston, MA
Old 03-27-2009, 10:09 AM
Out Of Control!

Welcome back and congrats on your BS!

Was just curious how much did you pay for it? Or you can PM me if you like. Don't think the car has a launch control but i'm sure the owners here can validate that. Post pics as well if you have them.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Congrats on the car.

The only launch control is your right foot.
It's only a 12.1, 116 trap car at the strip.

On a road course you will enjoy it's reason for living.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Are you referring to a street launch or one at the strip?

Street launching this car is a nightmare, The Corsa tires like to be hot, regular street driving will not get the tires up to prime launch temps and tire smoking burnouts are not ussually able to be done on public roads. Turn off ESP! There is really no room for error, there is a very fine line, you will either spin the tires violently or if you let the revs fall too much you will loose your momentum. On the street, depending on type of pavemet I will usually do a brake stall launch at no more than 1700 rpm and then when the light goes green, rapidly roll on the throttle reaching full throttle about the same time the car shifts into second gear, if you hit full throttle too early you run the risk of smoking the tires and depending on the pavement you might continue to smoke them into and through 2nd gear. Not having a clucth is a slight disadvantage at the line the only input is throttle input, there is no possiblity of slipping the clutch, but what you lose at the line you will pick up in lightening fast upshifts, there is no manual trans that can upshift the way this car can.

If you are refering to launchng at the strip on the stock tires, I recomend 21-22psi, ESP/traction off, full auto shift, a big smokey burnout (remember these tires like to be hot), 2000-2200 rpm brake stall, roll on the throttle a little faster and hang on. I can lay down high 1.7X-1.80 60' times all day with the Corsa tires, which is a very respectible 60' for stock tires.

Let us know how it goes.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:20 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
I really don't get it. One good look at a CLK63BS and it should be quiet obvious that it wasn't built to be a drag stripper. This car has road course written all over it, doesn't it? Or is it just me and my German thinking? The only time when I enjoy going straight is at triple digit speeds. Even that becomes boring after a while. Now I finally understand why those cars are changing hands so often.

Anyway, congrats on the car.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:49 PM

2009 GL450, 2009 G55 Mocha Black with Cognac Interior, 08 911 Turbo Cab, 08 CLK63 Black Series
Actually, I was referring strickly to launching on the street or on a closed circuit track. I plan to take the car to Lime Rock so I wanted to get the scoop on using the paddles in this car if someone had the experience. People actually drag race this thing?? Ha.

Okay, let me rephrase this, what is the ideal RPM to bring it to before letting the foot of the break.

Thanks,

L.

Last edited by Learso; 03-27-2009 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Learso
Hi All,

I have been away from the CLKs since I sold my beloved CLK55 Kleemann. Well, I am back now and just bought a CLK63 Black Series that I may or may not keep (price was very good so it may be interesting to resell). But I took the car out for the first time yesterday and it really is a thing of beauty, so raw, LOVE IT!

So, my questions is, does the car have Launch Control? If not, has anyone mastered the technic in this car yet?

Thanks in advance,

Learso
Boston, MA

Welcome back Learso! You make quite a Grand re-appearance!!
Old 03-27-2009, 01:29 PM

Thanks Chappy, good to be back. There is just something about the CLK lines that I guess, a great GT that keeps on getting better. Anyway, I hope to post pics soon of the car. Going to drive now!

Cheers,

L.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:44 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by JamE55
Welcome back and congrats on your BS!

Was just curious how much did you pay for it? Or you can PM me if you like. Don't think the car has a launch control but i'm sure the owners here can validate that. Post pics as well if you have them.
Do you ask everyone what they paid for their car? Why dont you just buy the damn thing already.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by Learso
Actually, I was referring strickly to launching on the street or on a closed circuit track. I plan to take the car to Lime Rock so I wanted to get the scoop on using the paddles in this car if someone had the experience. People actually drag race this thing?? Ha.

Okay, let me rephrase this, what is the ideal RPM to bring it to before letting the foot of the break.

Thanks,

L.
1700-1900 rpm, anything more and the tires will be up in smoke. Remember to roll on the throttle, if you just mash it you will break the tires loose.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:46 PM

03 CLK 55 AMG, IMCO muffler/Magnaflow tips, KW V1 coilovers, 19" Petrol Metrix Wheels
Vic you have a nice stable there buddy.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Public Transportation
You are absolutely not kidding. I thought my C6Z was tough to launch, but this one is a b!tch. One foul up and you lose *****loads of speed and time.

Originally Posted by jrcart
Are you referring to a street launch or one at the strip?

Street launching this car is a nightmare, The Corsa tires like to be hot, regular street driving will not get the tires up to prime launch temps and tire smoking burnouts are not ussually able to be done on public roads. Turn off ESP! There is really no room for error, there is a very fine line, you will either spin the tires violently or if you let the revs fall too much you will loose your momentum. On the street, depending on type of pavemet I will usually do a brake stall launch at no more than 1700 rpm and then when the light goes green, rapidly roll on the throttle reaching full throttle about the same time the car shifts into second gear, if you hit full throttle too early you run the risk of smoking the tires and depending on the pavement you might continue to smoke them into and through 2nd gear. Not having a clucth is a slight disadvantage at the line the only input is throttle input, there is no possiblity of slipping the clutch, but what you lose at the line you will pick up in lightening fast upshifts, there is no manual trans that can upshift the way this car can.

If you are refering to launchng at the strip on the stock tires, I recomend 21-22psi, ESP/traction off, full auto shift, a big smokey burnout (remember these tires like to be hot), 2000-2200 rpm brake stall, roll on the throttle a little faster and hang on. I can lay down high 1.7X-1.80 60' times all day with the Corsa tires, which is a very respectible 60' for stock tires.

Let us know how it goes.