CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

CLK BS 15" rotor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 05:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C63
CLK BS 15" rotor

So a lot of the guys pm'ed me about the rotor upgrade I fabricated, and here is a couple pictures of it. enjoy...

Old 03-31-2009, 05:46 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
can you explain why these are beter then the stock ones?
from what i am told the front ones really need no upgrading...
Old 03-31-2009, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
and this applies to E55's how?
Old 03-31-2009, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
U build these rotors? Could you say what is weight difference in these as opposed to the stockers? I ma looking to lighten my CL wonder if you could provide source of where to go and build some. Thx
Old 03-31-2009, 11:41 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
You sure those are 15s? They look like the rotors off of a E63 with the calipers off of an E55. I don't keep up with any CLK BSs other than Jims so i don't remember you fabricating . Did you just replace the rotor and keep the hat?

psk....it relates in no way. EVOSport rotors are the bomb compared to those 20lb rotors pictured.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by jangy
You sure those are 15s? They look like the rotors off of a E63 with the calipers off of an E55. I don't keep up with any CLK BSs other than Jims so i don't remember you fabricating . Did you just replace the rotor and keep the hat?

psk....it relates in no way. EVOSport rotors are the bomb compared to those 20lb rotors pictured.
The Black Series front 2-piece rotors are not all that heavy, I have looked into aftermarket upgrades and the weight savings (onces not pounds) do not warrant the price, furthermore I have talked to a couple people that have gone with an aftermarket front rotor on the BS and they said they did not hold up as well as the stock units for track use. I am very interested to hear more about the rotors pictured above and how they vary from the stock units. I have changed my solid one peice rears to the evosport 2-pices rears and that gave me a huge weight savings.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Are you using CLK calipers from the BS or are these from a non black series car?

Are you using BS hubs and spindles?

What have you put on the rear?

Do you still have the 3.5L motor in the car?
Old 03-31-2009, 01:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by jrcart
The Black Series front 2-piece rotors are not all that heavy, I have looked into aftermarket upgrades and the weight savings (onces not pounds)
Have you weighed your fronts? I dunno about yours but I know the E63 2 piece ones are 20lbs and the hardware looks identical to that pic. also, if yours are lighter, I wonder if the E63 guys could use them?

I do agree that some after market rotors (including the EVOsport ones) will wear out faster but that is something you give up with the weight gain. For me, unsprung weight is huge.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:41 PM

2011 C63
I am using all black series suspension. Spindles coil overs arms everything. The stock rotor is 14" and this one is 15" which means more surface area and when you slow down the momentum of something further from the center it tends To work better. That's kind of the sceince behind a bigger rotor. The rotor itself is probably the same weight or maybe a tad heavier the stock but I wasn't doing it for the weight. I'm sure they are very close though. For the rear I have a black series caliper and I'm working on doing a 2 piece 14" setup. It's not don't yet.

These will not work with an E class becuase the hub backspacing is different. It's basicly an upgrade for the clk bs.

Yes this car started off as a clk350. No the clk 350 motor is not in the car anymore. I'm working on some transmission stuff with the new motor. I'll post up about it later.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:30 PM

BMW 7 series
man thats a sick *** transformation, do u have progress pictures?
Old 03-31-2009, 11:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by TTAMG
The stock rotor is 14" and this one is 15" which means more surface area and when you slow down the momentum of something further from the center it tends To work better. That's kind of the sceince behind a bigger rotor.
I get how 15 inch rotors can have a larger sweep area but I'm confused that you think being farther from the center makes them work better. If you had the same sweep area as a 14, but in a 15 I do not see how the 15 would outperform. It would simply take more energy (heat) to do the same work (reducing the momentum of the rotor). Look at open wheel cars for an example. They minimize hat size to minimize rotor diameter. Again, increased sweep area is different. The only rotor options I have seen for OEM calipers simply use larger rotors and not larger sweep, since the calipers are set.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:08 AM

2011 C63
I get how 15 inch rotors can have a larger sweep area but I'm confused that you think being farther from the center makes them work better. If you had the same sweep area as a 14, but in a 15 I do not see how the 15 would outperform. It would simply take more energy (heat) to do the same work (reducing the momentum of the rotor). Look at open wheel cars for an example. They minimize hat size to minimize rotor diameter. Again, increased sweep area is different. The only rotor options I have seen for OEM calipers simply use larger rotors and not larger sweep, since the calipers are set.
A bigger rotor is a mechanical advantage. Think of it like a wrench or a breaker bar. You can tighten the bolt more with a longer arm, ie. further from the center. Also on the lines of swept area the rotor speed is much less when you go away from center. There are many reasons with the fastest street cars come equipt with 15" oem rotors. Corvette ZR1 or the Nissan GT-R.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:35 AM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
A bigger rotor is a mechanical advantage. Think of it like a wrench or a breaker bar. You can tighten the bolt more with a longer arm, ie. further from the center. Also on the lines of swept area the rotor speed is much less when you go away from center. There are many reasons with the fastest street cars come equipt with 15" oem rotors. Corvette ZR1 or the Nissan GT-R.
Nice rotors although I would have opted for slots every other row of cross drilled to effectively vent gasses. Who makes them and can the maker bake carbon ceramics ?? Obviously our resident technical director, Jangy, has zero experience and or knowledge regarding mass resisting acceleration (inertia) based on its location with respect to the axis of rotation and has never heard the term offset pistons to maximize surface area.

Oh yeah, and HOOSIERS nonetheless ?!?!?!?! Yikes man...please give us some driving impressions. Very tastefully done and congrats!!

Last edited by LZH; 04-01-2009 at 02:40 AM.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:02 AM

2011 C63
Originally Posted by LZH
Nice rotors although I would have opted for slots every other row of cross drilled to effectively vent gasses. Who makes them and can the maker bake carbon ceramics ?? Obviously our resident technical director, Jangy, has zero experience and or knowledge regarding mass resisting acceleration (inertia) based on its location with respect to the axis of rotation and has never heard the term offset pistons to maximize surface area.

Oh yeah, and HOOSIERS nonetheless ?!?!?!?! Yikes man...please give us some driving impressions. Very tastefully done and congrats!!

Thanks man. I am actually doing this as a senior project for my engineering degree, so yea. I just posted this because i thought it was kinda cool. Anyways the actual rotor is a brembo 15" and the hat i cnc'd at my buddy's shop. I basicly copied the black series hat and enlarged the outer part to fit the rotor. I did some research on a ceramic rotor and a lot of people who have put a ceramic rotor on a car that didn't come with it oem had a lot of issues with the brake booster and the abs system. Why I'm not sure but that was the general input from the "brake experts".

The hoosiers are awesome. Fortunately they have a pretty good fitment for the black series with an upgraded wheel. It makes the car handle a lot sharper for lack of a better word. I'm going to buttonwillow sometime soon and i want to do some suspension tuning and see how she does.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:33 AM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Nice work man, very nice. Evosport makes some nice hats as Jim said. PM me some more info on your pjoject, I'm curious...
Old 04-01-2009, 03:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG 030
wow a CLK 350 transformed into a BS must have cost some serious dough for just the body work but its looking good
Old 04-01-2009, 04:20 AM

2011 C63
Originally Posted by RenntechE55
wow a CLK 350 transformed into a BS must have cost some serious dough for just the body work but its looking good
Its a bummer that the car is worth maybe 100k now and thats being very modest. If it were still up in price I'm still up. Thats the name of the game i guess.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
TTAMG, I see you are running the Hoosier tires, how are those working for you? I almost bought a set but stayed with the Corsas.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
I get the part about leverage, somewhat. What do you mean that the speed is slower on the outer portion? Seems like the outer edge would actually travel farther per revolution than the center, so I get confused.
thx
Old 04-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by LZH
Obviously our resident technical director, Jangy, has zero experience and or knowledge regarding mass resisting acceleration (inertia) based on its location with respect to the axis of rotation and has never heard the term offset pistons to maximize surface area.
Dude, screw you. I guess you are the new tail. When did I claim to be an expert? I'm asking questions because I don't get it. You need to grow up and quit thinking money bring you smarts, cause you are obviously a blank. Again, screw you. I hope you crash your car AND get injured.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
John Deere
I get the part about leverage, somewhat. What do you mean that the speed is slower on the outer portion? Seems like the outer edge would actually travel farther per revolution than the center, so I get confused.
thx
No, it is faster the farther out you go, but think of it as reverse torque. If you had a 60 inch rotor, you could could probably stop the car by squeezing it with your bare hand.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
ot

from looking at pictures the hoosiers look like a very square tire ... is that the case?
Old 04-01-2009, 02:10 PM

2011 C63
Dude, screw you. I guess you are the new tail. When did I claim to be an expert? I'm asking questions because I don't get it. You need to grow up and quit thinking money bring you smarts, cause you are obviously a blank. Again, screw you. I hope you crash your car AND get injured.
I'm pretty sure LZH is a pretty smart guy. He understands many things that you completely neglected. You actually thought i was using an E63 rotor and you doubted my ability to measure with a ruler let alone draw something in solidworks. You make expert comments so don't pms.

Jim the Hoosiers work great. I almost got the corsas but I wanted something a little wider in the rear for better cornering and also to hold the power down. They wear much faster then the corsa that's for sure but I feel I can predict the car much better with the Hoosiers. With the 265/35-19 in the front being a tad taller then stock can allow for the actual suspension being a little more even rather then keeping the ride height a little higher in the front. It feels better when braking through turns. I hope I gave good input.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:53 PM

2004 E55
What engine do you have in it?
Old 04-01-2009, 05:00 PM
LZH
Banned

Sure didn't seem like you were asking any questions in the post below...I don't see one question mark.
And when did I ever claim that money could buy intelligence??? Hell, I learned everything I know from the internet, just like you !!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CLK BS 15" rotor