CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Given A Choice Would You Buy Your CLKBS Again

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
Given A Choice Would You Buy Your CLKBS Again

I don't normally post on this board but have come to it to ask a very serious question. If you had the opportunity to buy a used CLKBS again after previously owning and driving one for the past year would you do it again? Let me explain. Yesterday I test drove a CLKBS and fell in love with it. At least for me it felt like the car I've always wanted but could never find "off the shelf". It's raw, exciting, almost brutal,a thrill to drive, sounds incredible and IMHO defines the term "beast" that is used so often. You all know the downside to owning one e.g. ride quality, lack of options, two seats, no sun roof and etc. Does the pleasure of driving one outweigh the displeasure of owning one? I'm thinking of trading my mint, does everything right 05 E55 daily driver for this car but I've got some reservations about its practicality as a replacement. I've researched the threads and most opinions support the fact it's not a good daily driver. Knowing what you do about these cars today would you pull the trigger again, or would you move on to something else? Honest opinions please. Thanks

Last edited by LOVEMYBS; 05-25-2009 at 11:07 AM.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
i wouldnt have it as a daily driver......i get the raw power you describe x10 with my cobra and no matter what car you talk about, your senses get dulled to the power. Comfort AND safety are first in a daily driver.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
In a heartbeat, maybe quicker

Originally Posted by 4ociousE55
...I've researched the threads and most opinions support the fact it's not a good daily driver. Knowing what you do about these cars today would you pull the trigger again, or would you move on to something else? Honest opinions please. Thanks
I think the value as a dd is location dependent. I use mine as a dd in Dallas/Fort Worth. The roads where I put most of my miles on are relatively new and concrete so they can be harsh and noisy but I have no issue with it. Now, if I were in the city for most of my driving, I'd soften up the suspension settings and deal with it. OTOH, I have tightened the suspension settings and the car is quite hard at low speed bad roads but on the highway, it's glued to the road.

I traded a modded CL55 for the Black and there's not been a single day when I said, "Gee, I wish I had the CL." My wife has, my mother has, my brother in law has but I don't care.

I had a 996 TT before that and to me, the Black Series is a much more enjoyable car.

I've had the car almost 10 months and my lust for a different car is absolutely zero. For me, that's exceptional. (Okay, truth be told, I still lust after a white one.)
Old 05-25-2009, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk 63 black series
I use it as my daily driver, and would want nothing else. I love the harshness... It's the full experience of being in a race car on the road that makes this car so good...
Old 05-25-2009, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
The porsche dealer keeps calling, "Jimmy I got a GT3, how about you spec a Gt2 allocation, OK, how about the RS"? Those cars just don't interest me after having a BS and thats the truth.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Doctodd33
i wouldnt have it as a daily driver......i get the raw power you describe x10 with my cobra and no matter what car you talk about, your senses get dulled to the power. Comfort AND safety are first in a daily driver.
My round trip commute is 18 miles over decent road and the car is parked in a covered garage. I test drove the car on I-66 in NVA which is NOT the best road in the world. It's a jarring ride even in my SL and E. BTW, I understand your comment about a Cobra, use to own a 67 427SC, now that was a ride I'll never forget! The CLKBS reminds me a lot of it.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:11 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
I would buy it again, particularly if I could get it at a 40K+ discount.
The car is my daily driver from mid-April to mid-November (then I switch to a 996ttX50 on 4 snows). It makes every trip an adventure.
I did add the bluetooth, which works very well and makes the car better for me, as I'm on the phone a lot.
My view is that the car is best suited to those who intermittently go to the track, because it is absolutely the easiest car for this purpose. No need to adjust anything or modify anything. Just fiddle with pressures, check the oil, and go!
Finally, it is as unique from outside as inside. The looks grow on you.
If I had one modification to make, it would be a larger fuel tank.
I have about 16,000 miles on the car, and look forward to firing it up every day.

That being said, it isn't a race car ( I have 4 of those), and nothing can compare to a CanAm car blasting up the back straight at Road America. But, it is closer to a race car than anything I have tried, including a Stradale, while still being a practical street car. It is easy to modify a car to make it more racey, but then you usually lose streetability. This car doesn't squeak or rattle, has more power than can be used on the street, and comes closer to being ideal (for my purposes) than anything I have driven or modified in 54 years of driving.
So, that is a "Yes" to your question. AS
Old 05-25-2009, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by Doctodd33
Originally Posted by alcpimpin
I use it as my daily driver, and would want nothing else. I love the harshness... It's the full experience of being in a race car on the road that makes this car so good...
During my test drive I nailed the throttle and was able to break the rear-end loose. No other car that I've driven lately will do that. It was a real thrill. The salesman that was with me wasn't expecting it and I think I scared him!
Old 05-25-2009, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
08 SL55
Yes. Absolutely I would buy this car again!
Old 05-25-2009, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 ///AMG
During my test drive I nailed the throttle and was able to break the rear-end loose. No other car that I've driven lately will do that. It was a real thrill. The salesman that was with me wasn't expecting it and I think I scared him!
I'm assuming you mean other than your E55 as your E55 should do this easily as well.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:45 AM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
I'd buy one again. Bought the car in November of 2007 and couldn't be happier with it. Don't use it a s a daily driver, but it's perfectly suited for it. I like the fact it doesn't have back seats or a sunroof, and would have paid a premium to delete it. Suspension doesn't feel harsh to me, quiet the opposite, I thought it was too soft and made it stiffer. As a compromise between street and occasional track use, it's the best car I've ever owned. I wish it would have a sequential gearbox instead of the automatic. That's my only complain.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:29 AM

2008 CLK 63 Black Series, 2013 G63, 2014 RS5 Coupe, 2013 JKUR 10A
I have used mine as a DD in the Northeast since 12/07 and have 13.5k miles on mine (although I dont drive it in the snow). I actually find the car to be quite comfortable, much more so than my wife's 996, or the Maranello I drove for 6 years prior to the BS. I would certainly buy it again and at the current prices it is a no brainer in my opinion.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:27 PM
JDB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
I took delivery of mine in November 2007, and have used it as a frequent, but not daily driver, ever since. Would I buy it, today?

There really wasn't any choice for me. The car made the decision. The first time I drove one, the car told me that I had to buy it. I'm sure I would have the same reaction, today.

I thoroughly enjoy every drive in this car, especially whenever I have the opportunity to really use it's capabilities. It is FUN to drive.

JDB
Old 05-26-2009, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
I have never owned one, but driven one, and now it will more than likely be the car that brings me back to the Benz world... soon.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:28 PM

Thanks everyone for your opinions to-date. I have decided to purchase a CLKBS if I can make the deal work. I've tried to forget my test drive with thoughts like "this car is totally impractical, it's an eco-dinosaur (gas mileage) in a world gone green (and insane - JMHO), it is not a good daily driver, it draws a lot of unwanted attention, and it will continue to depreciate at an accelerated pace (see green). But, I've never allowed "practical" to enter into my decision-making process like most of you I'm sure. If I did I would be driving Sarturn's, VW's, Camry's and other mainstream follow the sheep cars and never know what it is like to live life on the drivers edge. That's what a CLKBS brings to the table. Am i wrong?

Last edited by LOVEMYBS; 05-28-2009 at 08:09 AM.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 SL55
Thanks everyone for your opinions to-date. I have decided to purchase a CLKBS if I can make the deal work. I've tried to forget my test drive with thoughts like "this car is totally impractical, it's a future dinosaur in a world gone green (and insane - JMHO), it is not a good daily driver, it draws a lot of unwanted attention, and it will continue to depreciate at an accelerated pace (see green). But, I've never allowed "practical" to enter into my decision-making process like most of you I'm sure. If I did I would be driving Sarturn's, VW's, Camry's and other mainstream follow the sheep cars and never know what it is like to live life on the drivers edge. That's what a CLKBS brings to the table. Am i wrong?
Nicely said! I agree with most of what you said except for the part about these cars being future dinosaurs (I do agree with the isane/green..) b/c of the limited availability and future collectors are going to want what they can no longer get. I also feel that prices seemed to have stabilized a bit. I'm not seeing the large drops in prices we were all seeing a few months ago.

We bought our CLK63 BS without ever having driven it until we drove it off the dealers lot. All that I had read about this car I knew I would love it. How could anyone not?

Good luck.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:29 AM

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts
'08 CLK Black, '08 SL65, '17 SL65, '07 SL55, '20 E63S Wagon, '14 GL450
I also bought the car before I drove it. I got one of the first in the bay area. Seriously, just pulling out of the lot and jumping up to the first light is all it took... wow. Now I have 26k on the car as a DD. Been on 1200mi trips to Vegas and LA many times. Yeah I would buy again - I almost bought another one when the price dropped.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 MB CLK Black Series
Yes, I've owned other AMG's (SL55 and SL65), M5's and many porches (993's), and this is by far the best "seat of your pants' driving experience. It's a weekend car for me, but would love to use it as a DD as well. Only compliant, it runs hot and the cabin fills up quickly with hot air.

Todd
Old 05-28-2009, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 SL55
Originally Posted by toddturbos
Only compliant, ........the cabin fills up quickly with hot air.
......b/c of the driver? JK!
Old 05-28-2009, 05:49 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by chuck z
......b/c of the driver? JK!
Dayuuum
Old 05-28-2009, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 SL55
Originally Posted by LZH
Dayuuum
.....I couldn't resist, it was just a joke. JK = just kidding
Old 05-29-2009, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Yes I would. Mine's a DD as well.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:16 PM

My loan is approved and we're close on a deal but I'm getting screwed on my E55 trade. Right now we're at $29K but I want at least $33K which is average for KBB, NADA and Edmunds. If they won't sweeten the deal I'll wait for the next one. I'll know more tomorrow.