CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Curious, Why So Many CLKBS's For Sale?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
Curious, Why So Many CLKBS's For Sale?

Given the uniqueness of these cars and their limited production numbers why are so many CLKBS's for sale? If you look on eBay and Auto Trader there always seems to be 5-10 for sale, all with low miles. Is it because:

1. It has 2 seats in a 4 seat car that makes it impractical for family use
2. It has a harsh ride
3. Gas mileage sucks (if you can afford one of these cars you can afford the gas)
4. It's a track car and not a daily driver
5. There is something better and I've grown tired of this car
6. It has a dated body style that's been replaced by the new E-coupe
7. It's not very luxurious and lacks a lot of expensive options
8. It's expensive and I need my money for more important things
9. People don't know what it is and I don't get the thumbs-up I'm use to
10. It's not as collectible as I thought it would be
11. This happens to all new AMG's/MB's
12. It's a victim of demand vs. supply when new now supply vs. demand
13. It's overrated by the car magazines and other car "experts"
14. It's not the car I thought it was when I bought it new (oversold by MB)
15. My wife (and family?) hate the car and want me to get rid of it
16. I can't take it on a long trip
17. It only appeals to a very select few in a very narrow niche market
18. I just don't like this car and I'm sorry I bought one
19. Its value is dropping like a hot stone
20. It will be too expensive to maintain in the future

Anyway, these are just random thoughts. I've asked myself some of these questions and wondered why I bought mine but, I have a reply to all of them and it's simply, this is a GREAT car that is unique and unlike any MB you'll ever drive. Frankly, it just feels right "for me" and I don't care about anything else!

Last edited by LOVEMYBS; 07-03-2009 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-03-2009, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
It's a matter of perspective, last year in April through July, there were generally as many as 70 for sale. A good number of those were new.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK AMG BLACK SERIES (among other German things)
all i know is when i sold mine i felt so bad i wanted to drown myself to death in the local cesspit .
as i couldnt find it ( the pit i mean ) i had to hunt another black series down . they are much harder to find here only 19 rhd british isles cars according to merc .

Last edited by WTDoom; 07-03-2009 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:28 PM

CLK63 BS, Panamera, Prius, Mini Cooper S
I think it is just "normal" to find a large number of any fairly new models for sale.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
08 SL55
I really don't think there's a lot of them for sale right now. Only 5 on eBay and until I listed mine there were only 2 (but that's how things go for me......) It's like our renovation; hasn't rained in MONTHS and we've been on strict water restrictions..... we dig a hole for the foundation and it hasn't stopped frickin raining for since!!!!! ) If you've follw the autotrader ads a good number of them have been there for months/dare I say years... i.e, is the $199,000 one still there in PR? so how many are REALLY for sale. Cars.com seems to be a better gauge of how many are really out there; about 10 to 14 at any given time over the last few months. I am really into Porsche 928s and there are only 406 of the GTS model in the US/Canada and 15 years after production ended there are still always a handful of them for sale.... About as many of them as there are BSs for sale.

BTW, my reason for selling in NONE of the above...
Old 07-04-2009, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
i think it is just a run of cars right now......they are getting higher and higher in mileage.

But i do agree.....not practical for most people, small market, aged styling, overpriced. Most people dont use it for it's intended purpose....me included. I plan on using it as a weekend car and might use it as a daily driver for a little while until my current lease expires or i go over in miles.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:01 PM
Out Of Control!

I've asked a few on Auto Trder, Ebay and Cars and got a few random responses.

1. Two different guys i asked said they got laid off so they need to get rid of thier BSs'.
2. Other guy wants to upg to a Lambo.
Old 07-06-2009, 02:44 PM

Lapis Blue 996 TT
As we can all agree, This is a unique car. Not many people know about it, but the ones that do, appreciate it and always take a walk around. Is it a daily driver? Perhaps for some poeple and not for others. Is it too expensive? Well that is a relative questions. I have said this before and I still stand by it. These cars WILL be worth something in the future ( 10 to 15 years ). Once some have been crashed, stolen, parted out, raced out, the 1 owner examples will become more and more valuable. 500 total units produced for 1 model year. First BLACK SERIES model to be produced. It has the making of a collectible car. We just happen to be in monumentally bad economic time. Only time will tell the true value of this car. Once the number of clean, one owner, low milage examples dwindle, is when you will see an increase in value. Having said all of this. I bought the car becuase I love the way it drives, accelerates, brakes, and handles. I, Just like everybody else who bought this car, never for a second thought that I would MAKE money once i was done with it. In closing, If you have a BS, then drive it and enjoy it. Dont worry about its value in monetary terms, see how much enjoyment it brings when you drive it.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:48 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by e8on
As we can all agree, This is a unique car. Not many people know about it, but the ones that do, appreciate it and always take a walk around. Is it a daily driver? Perhaps for some poeple and not for others. Is it too expensive? Well that is a relative questions. I have said this before and I still stand by it. These cars WILL be worth something in the future ( 10 to 15 years ). Once some have been crashed, stolen, parted out, raced out, the 1 owner examples will become more and more valuable. 500 total units produced for 1 model year. First BLACK SERIES model to be produced. It has the making of a collectible car. We just happen to be in monumentally bad economic time. Only time will tell the true value of this car. Once the number of clean, one owner, low milage examples dwindle, is when you will see an increase in value. Having said all of this. I bought the car becuase I love the way it drives, accelerates, brakes, and handles. I, Just like everybody else who bought this car, never for a second thought that I would MAKE money once i was done with it. In closing, If you have a BS, then drive it and enjoy it. Dont worry about its value in monetary terms, see how much enjoyment it brings when you drive it.
Agree for the most part, except it was not the first BS...the SLK BS which was not avail in the US was the first BS produced. The fact that is was the LAST CLK made should also be noted. Also, I think we will see the value of these cars rebound in 5 years and not 10-15 as you suggested.
Either way, there really aren't that many for sale...not nearly as many as there was for sale a year ago.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:14 PM

WHT BS
Originally Posted by LZH
Agree for the most part, except it was not the first BS...the SLK BS which was not avail in the US was the first BS produced. The fact that is was the LAST CLK made should also be noted. Also, I think we will see the value of these cars rebound in 5 years and not 10-15 as you suggested.
Either way, there really aren't that many for sale...not nearly as many as there was for sale a year ago.
Didnt know that. Learn something new everyday.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:49 PM

CLK AMG BLACK SERIES (among other German things)
i hope this is at least slightly relevant to you guys but i sold my first black to a dealer here ( i was the first owner ) . i ended up buying another ( missed the car too much ) .
i was at the same dealer earlier this week for another reason and he offered me more money for my car than the last time ( even though this car has an extra owner and more miles ) . judging by the cars for sale here they are holding up well all things considered ( after dropping off rapidly ) and seem to be doing slightly better again in the european markets ( especially germany ).
it is a special and rare car that will in time stabilize in price ( arguably doing so here now ) and may even eventually creep up , once they start to find permanent homes etc .
fyi the new car was purchased for 99k (pounds ) you will not find a good one here second hand for under about 82500 . compare that to my gt3 rs which was purchased for slightly more and they can now be had here from around 77k ( pounds ) .

also here is an slk black series review for eitan1 and others that may be interested .
http://www.topgear.com/uk/mercedes-b...oad-test/black
i know evo liked it more but still no way near a clk black .

Last edited by WTDoom; 07-06-2009 at 04:52 PM.