CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Dymag`s strength

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63amg Black Series
Dymag`s strength

I`m waiting for some new Dymags to arrive(still after almost 2 months) and i wanted to ask you guys about the strength of those wheels.I know that carbon is stronger than aluminium but it doesnt bend it just breaks,so if lets say i`m driving on a public road and i hit a hole and my aluminium wheel does not have any damage how will the Dymags react???Bottom line is i`m trying to figure out how the Dymags will react on bad public roads comparing to stock BS wheels.

thanks
Old 10-15-2009, 10:12 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those Dymags are actually pretty strong. If you hit a pothole that reaction will just be absorbed by your suspension. It would take a serious bump or hit for that Dymags to get cracked.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:49 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

The tensile strength (KSI) of carbon is about 16x that of aluminum (6063-T6), so yes it is much stronger. It also has some resiliency so where an allow will bend, carbon can actually absorb some energy. I've hit potholes on Dymags with a stiff suspension that would have destroyed an aluminum wheel and it had no effect. We have tested Dymags on race cars at the track and they are indredibly strong.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Although the carbon fiber used by Dymag is incredibly strong, there has been instances of cracks. I recall jrcart had a problem with his after having it only for 9 months. I know of two other guys that had their dymags replaced because of cracks as well. In all cases, Dymags did replace the wheels but I'm not sure how easy or difficult the process was
Old 10-21-2009, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Founder

ones too fast according to CHP!
Mo, that is not quite accurate with JRCart. His wheels were proactively replaced by dymag as they changed their manufacturing process of the center - not the CF barrel.

Although he did not have any significant issues with his wheels per se, Dymag stepped up to replace them at no cost to Jim - and there was no pain in the process.

There was a problem with the Mag centers for a certain production run. Dymag DID replace all of the wheels that were a problem and some that were not (just elected to be proactive). This problem with the centers created issues for some at the mounting holes. The wheels would "click" or make noise do to the machining on the center. There was also some visual discoloration and scuffing on the CF due to this. There was NEVER any cracking of the CF.

Thanks
Brad
Old 10-21-2009, 06:57 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
The New HRE / Dymag hybrid wheels appear to be the best route as they have CNC machined centers which have connecting spokes, this ensures a proper seal and sufficient strength. The old magnesium core dymag centers had spokes that did not connect to one another which weren't as strong, and would leak occasionally, unlike the HRE design. Either way the Dyman CF barrels are incredibly strong and can withstand punishment that probably even some steel wheels couldn't handle (much less aluminum). The weak link is the center hubs, not the CF barrels.

Here is the link to their site, you can clearly see the difference in the center hubs...

http://www.hrewheels.com/wheels/seri...=/CARBON/CF43/
Old 10-21-2009, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Founder

BTW, we raced a bmw e46 M3 turbo race car (500whp) on them for 2 full seasons with no problems. The dymags are the real deal.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by otoupalik
Mo, that is not quite accurate with JRCart. His wheels were proactively replaced by dymag as they changed their manufacturing process of the center - not the CF barrel.

Although he did not have any significant issues with his wheels per se, Dymag stepped up to replace them at no cost to Jim - and there was no pain in the process.

There was a problem with the Mag centers for a certain production run. Dymag DID replace all of the wheels that were a problem and some that were not (just elected to be proactive). This problem with the centers created issues for some at the mounting holes. The wheels would "click" or make noise do to the machining on the center. There was also some visual discoloration and scuffing on the CF due to this. There was NEVER any cracking of the CF.

Thanks
Brad
Hi Brad,

You're right.... I was just trying to recall the incident from memory. I went back and re-read the thread: I guess initially he thought it was some extra wax left by the detailer, then he reported it was some type of gap or separation and whatever it was, he thought it was causing the carbon fiber to deteriorate. Here is the full thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk63-bla...something.html

But there seems to be a few threads around different forums regarding the quality of dymags:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...s-quality.html

Brad, would you still recommend them for a "heavier" car, such as, E63 or CLS63 or are they best suited for smaller sports cars ?

Than
Old 10-22-2009, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Founder

Yes, there WAS a bad batch that had production problems - no denying that. However, I have never seen a wheel company stand behind the product in the same manner as dymag before.

I would say an E or CLS or SL would be no problem. I would be more concerned with GL or S or CL. But remember, the wheels are VERY strong.

Also, people don't realize that Dymag has been around for decades making CF race wheels for bikes and open wheel race cars. They are not the "new kid" on the block.

Also, with HRE's partnership, they will certainly be forced to even higher QC standards, so we will all benefit.

We have broken a Dymag before on a race car. However, it was at a place on the track where if you put ANY wheel off, it will be destroyed (and we have destroyed 2 alum high quality race wheels there too). Dymag had the wheel replaced in 5 business days.

thanks
brad
Old 10-24-2009, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
not sure if this was directly asked, but if i hit a pothole where my stock rim is bent on the inside(not visible) or the outside, what would happen to the Dymag?
Old 10-25-2009, 05:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG
dymag isn't designed to take potholes(carbon fiber can crack easily)therefore it will not likely to last very long if you daily it in the rough area of town.

On the track though i am sure it will last
Old 10-25-2009, 04:46 PM

Different application, but I have seen carbon fiber motorcycle wheels bounced like basketballs on concrete with no damage. BST does it all the time a demonstration of strength. They don't even chip.

I doubt you would want to try that with a mag rim. There are video's of it on youtube if you search.

Edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM0HXrN3_yQ
Old 10-26-2009, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Founder

Originally Posted by Doctodd33
not sure if this was directly asked, but if i hit a pothole where my stock rim is bent on the inside(not visible) or the outside, what would happen to the Dymag?
The Dymag or HRE Carbon will fare better than any metal based barrel. If it is a bigh enough impact to destroy the metal based wheel, it may also do the same to the CF.

However, the CF will not bend and will not be damaged from daily pot-holes, expansion joints, etc.

Originally Posted by MikeS54
dymag isn't designed to take potholes(carbon fiber can crack easily)therefore it will not likely to last very long if you daily it in the rough area of town.

On the track though i am sure it will last
This is actually not true at all. Curious, are you assuming or do you have some technical knowledge on this that is different than everything I have seen, read and experienced? Not trying to be argumentative, just really curious as you made an authoritative statement that is counter to everything I know and have seen.

thanks
Brad
Old 10-26-2009, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML350
The Dymag or HRE Carbon will fare better than any metal based barrel. If it is a bigh enough impact to destroy the metal based wheel, it may also do the same to the CF.

However, the CF will not bend and will not be damaged from daily pot-holes, expansion joints, etc.

i didnt say destroy.......what happened was i had a flat on a 20" OEM rim that needed to be repaired. When the tire was off the rim they told me i had a dent inside the rim that was not visible or even noticeable while driving. I had no idea. My question specifically is if i would have had a CF rim, what would have happened?
Old 10-26-2009, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Founder

i didnt say destroy.......what happened was i had a flat on a 20" OEM rim that needed to be repaired. When the tire was off the rim they told me i had a dent inside the rim that was not visible or even noticeable while driving. I had no idea. My question specifically is if i would have had a CF rim, what would have happened?
Nope, with what you described, you would have had no damage with the Dymag. They have some flex to them so they will give rather than take small bends.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
I had a slight problem with my 1st set of Dymags, as Brad stated Dymag re-formulated the Mag/alum blend of the spokes and built me a complete new set. I believe this was due to a combination of the weight and rwhp of my car, but don't quote me on that. The new set has been on my car for about 10 months now, I have put several thousand HARD miles on the road, strip and road courses. I am happy to say they are holding up well. I was very pleased with the way Dymag stood behind their product, they even covered the shipping charges and sent me a spare "loaner" set for an event, I would highly recomend Dymags to anyone that wants the best performance and quality currently available.
Old 10-30-2009, 12:39 PM

CLK AMG BLACK SERIES (among other German things)
be careful of dymag . a great company but in serious financial trouble . website was down and receivers are moving in . if you dont own dont buy till the situation becomes clear .
Old 11-02-2009, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by WTDoom
be careful of dymag . a great company but in serious financial trouble . website was down and receivers are moving in . if you dont own dont buy till the situation becomes clear .
Old 11-02-2009, 12:07 PM
MBWorld Founder

It is true FYI. We found out last week. They are in Chapt11 reorganization, bank controlled. All prices went up by 30-40%.
Old 11-03-2009, 07:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
what happened was i had a flat on a 20" OEM rim that needed to be repaired. When the tire was off the rim they told me i had a dent inside the rim that was not visible or even noticeable while driving. I had no idea.
Apologies for being "dense" - given what you state above (bolded, my emphasis), how did they know this alleged dent was there? X-rayed the wheel?

Superficially, it sounds like the kind of comment a somewhat unscrupulous dealership might make in an attempt to sell A. a new wheel or B. an unnecessary "wheel repair" service. Not saying "it is," mind you, but does sound that way a bit.

Back on-topic, sorry to hear that Dymag's going through C11. Hopefully they come out of it in a quick turnaround and are stronger for it going forward.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML350
Originally Posted by c32AMG-DTM
Apologies for being "dense" - given what you state above (bolded, my emphasis), how did they know this alleged dent was there? X-rayed the wheel?

Superficially, it sounds like the kind of comment a somewhat unscrupulous dealership might make in an attempt to sell A. a new wheel or B. an unnecessary "wheel repair" service. Not saying "it is," mind you, but does sound that way a bit.

Back on-topic, sorry to hear that Dymag's going through C11. Hopefully they come out of it in a quick turnaround and are stronger for it going forward.
i was fixing a flat so the tire had been removed from the wheel at a tire shop, not the dealer
Old 11-03-2009, 02:05 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
It is true FYI. We found out last week. They are in Chapt11 reorganization, bank controlled. All prices went up by 30-40%.
WOW really?! I'm surprised, Dymag is such a great company, I guess that initial bad batch really cost them a lot in replacement costs. I'm sure they will bounce back strong, especially with their partnership with HRE. Hopefully they do, it really is a phenomenal product, would be a shame if they went under permanently. With that said, 30-40% increase in price from an already high price tag isn't going to help short term sales.