CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

OZ or HRE rims

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amg Clk 63 Black Series
Question OZ or HRE rims

Hi,
Still havn,t ordered my track rims, as I have been getting conflicting info re wheel offset and tracking problem.

The OZ wheel I was told has offset of 30mm front for the 9inch and the rear 32mm for the 10inch.
The OE has 25mm front for the 9 inch and 31mm rear for the 9.5inch.

The HRE will make a 9.5inch front with 16mm offset and 11inch rear with 28 mm offset.

I was advised that the OZ wheel would undertrack the vehicle.

Correct me if I am wrong ,in assuming the HRE would track the car wider
the OZ would be 5mm undertracked at the front and 1mm at the rear.

Would this be a problem?.

The HRE 11inch wheel was due to the fact I am going to fit 295X19X30
Toyo Proxies R888.

My vehicle is not lowered.

The HRE are my first choice though the OZ are a better price.

I know a few of you have different rims etc and would appreciate any
advice before I order.

Also has any one heard or used the new Pirelli Trofea presumably to replace the Corsa?

I.S
Old 06-10-2010, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
I'm using the OZ superleggera for a track wheel (9 front, 10 rear) and have no issues at all, but I also use the H&R 12mm spacers for street and track.
Old 06-10-2010, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Porsche 996 gt3 cup, 09 Audi R8
I would say of those to use oz...but I would go to a company like Fikse and have them make you a set (or whoever owns them now) as they are amazing and have incredible pedigree.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Out Of Control!

Me personally i'd go with HRE Competition series since you'll be using it for the tracks.

You can go as wide as 10's upfront and 12's on the rears. IIRC the widest tires you can go on the front is 275's and up to 305's on the rear. Not sure about the ET though.

Probably talk to Neal at Euroteck and he can advise you.

GL
Old 06-10-2010, 06:33 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by JamE55
Me personally i'd go with HRE Competition series since you'll be using it for the tracks.

You can go as wide as 10's upfront and 12's on the rears. IIRC the widest tires you can go on the front is 275's and up to 305's on the rear. Not sure about the ET though.

Probably talk to Neal at Euroteck and he can advise you.

GL
Are you running 12" wheels in the rear on your Black Series? I'd love to see some pictures if you don't mind. Wow, some sick set up you're talking about here how did you make them fit

Seriously, come on man
Old 06-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally Posted by SMP
Are you running 12" wheels in the rear on your Black Series? I'd love to see some pictures if you don't mind. Wow, some sick set up you're talking about here how did you make them fit

Seriously, come on man
Not a BS owner so nothing to show. Was just saying that i saw a setup like it in one of the forums and that's what the measurement was if i remember correctly.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:39 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Shuttie, I chose the HRE's for my car because I wanted a certain width, offset and look only a custom made wheel can provide for this car. They are a little more money, so it depends if you're willing to spend it for that reason. Take also into consideration whether you want cast aluminum or forged aluminum wheels and if that makes a difference to you. I'm running the same dimensions you posted. If you have any more questions or want to see pictures what it will look like, let me know.

BTW, my car is lowered .......
Old 06-10-2010, 08:10 PM

Amg Clk 63 Black Series
Spacers

Originally Posted by DFW01E55
I'm using the OZ superleggera for a track wheel (9 front, 10 rear) and have no issues at all, but I also use the H&R 12mm spacers for street and track.
Hi,
Thanks for your reply, where did you obtain the 12mm spacers and did you have to purchase new studs ?. I would only use the spacers for the front which I think will give a 3mm wider track each wheel.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by shuttie
Hi,
Thanks for your reply, where did you obtain the 12mm spacers and did you have to purchase new studs ?. I would only use the spacers for the front which I think will give a 3mm wider track each wheel.
I got them from Evosport, stock number 2455665.

Definitely need new studs because the seat on the OZ's are different than stock.

Check with Luke Pavlik at Tirerack, +1 888 727 8092, extension 362, he knows his stuff. He can ship the studs with the wheels.

If the phone doesn't work, you can reach him through the tire forum here.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:36 PM

Amg Clk 63 Black Series
Originally Posted by SMP
Shuttie, I chose the HRE's for my car because I wanted a certain width, offset and look only a custom made wheel can provide for this car. They are a little more money, so it depends if you're willing to spend it for that reason. Take also into consideration whether you want cast aluminum or forged aluminum wheels and if that makes a difference to you. I'm running the same dimensions you posted. If you have any more questions or want to see pictures what it will look like, let me know.

BTW, my car is lowered .......
Hi BTW,
Thanks for the reply, I would certainly prefer the forged HRE though if I purchased those I would use them for the track only, also I like the satin
gun metal colour which isnt available on the OZ. If I buy the OZ I would only use them for street use only with continental tyres and use the OE rims for the track.

Did you fit the 11inch at the rear if so have you had any rubbing issues?
Did you lower via the OE adjustments which seem to go in 5mm increments, as this would fill more of the guard space.

I would like to see pictures of your wheels when you can.

Thanks

I.S
Old 06-10-2010, 08:55 PM
PGT

2014 E550 4Matic with P1/LED/Pano
I've owned HRE and wasn't impressed. They've had some issues with track cars and were banned from use by some sanctioning bodies (not sure if that was resolved but I'd think it would be by now).

OZ's are nicely made wheels and certainly more cost effective. CCW or Forgeline would be better than HRE's for track use, IMHO.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK BS
Originally Posted by PGT
I've owned HRE and wasn't impressed. They've had some issues with track cars and were banned from use by some sanctioning bodies (not sure if that was resolved but I'd think it would be by now).

OZ's are nicely made wheels and certainly more cost effective. CCW or Forgeline would be better than HRE's for track use, IMHO.
That's certainly news to me, but I was leaning toward OZ anyways. And no, HREs are not just "a little more money" more like "2x the money" of OZs.

The "undertrack" issue as posted by OP certainly sounds reasonable but I'm not sure if anyone would actually notice a performance difference with a grand total of 10mm difference in front track width?
Old 06-10-2010, 11:04 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by shuttie
Hi BTW,
Thanks for the reply, I would certainly prefer the forged HRE though if I purchased those I would use them for the track only, also I like the satin
gun metal colour which isnt available on the OZ. If I buy the OZ I would only use them for street use only with continental tyres and use the OE rims for the track.

Did you fit the 11inch at the rear if so have you had any rubbing issues?
Did you lower via the OE adjustments which seem to go in 5mm increments, as this would fill more of the guard space.

I would like to see pictures of your wheels when you can.

Thanks

I.S
HRE offers quite a few wheel finishes, and the satin gunmetal will look great on your car.

I changed the springs which are a little shorter and have a higher rate when I had the car lowered on the OE threads. I'm running 9.5" in the front and 10.5" in the back, which don't rub at all, even at the track in a 120 mph corner with a couple of undulations in the road where you can really feel the rear suspension work. You might also consider changing the rear one piece rotors out for lighter composite ones to match the front to further reduce unsprung weight.

Not sure what style you have decided on, but here are some pictures of my car with the monoblock wheels to give you an idea of the offset. Hope that helps.

BTW, love the country you live in, especially Hayman island
Attached Thumbnails OZ or HRE rims-dsc00022.jpg   OZ or HRE rims-dsc00026.jpg   OZ or HRE rims-dscn1865.jpg   OZ or HRE rims-dscn1859.jpg  
Old 06-11-2010, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by SMP
Not sure what style you have decided on, but here are some pictures of my car ....
OMIGOSH!
I cannot believe how great the inside of your rear wheel well looks!
I am truly ashamed and not worthy!

Now I have a goal in life!
Old 06-11-2010, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by PGT

Ya, thats why we dont use any of them. My cup only runs on fikses and jongbloeds. CCW makes a decent wheel for the track. Forgeline will definitely work as well.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:26 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
OMIGOSH!
I cannot believe how great the inside of your rear wheel well looks!
I am truly ashamed and not worthy!

Now I have a goal in life!
..............that's just because it never rains in southern california
Old 06-11-2010, 11:11 PM

WHT BS
Originally Posted by SMP
..............that's just because it never rains in southern california
hey SMP, I live in SoCal and the inside my wheel wells look nothing like. It looks as if you pay someone to lick them clean twicE a day. Nice JOB of making the rest of us look DIRTY.

btw
your set up is perfect. Looks nice.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:31 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by Eitan1
hey SMP, I live in SoCal and the inside my wheel wells look nothing like. It looks as if you pay someone to lick them clean twicE a day. Nice JOB of making the rest of us look DIRTY.

btw
your set up is perfect. Looks nice.
How did you guess it's him? .............he's got to earn his keep somehow

BTW, thank you!
Attached Thumbnails OZ or HRE rims-dsc00036.jpg  
Old 06-12-2010, 09:48 PM

Clk Black Series
It looks like you dont even drive your car
Old 06-12-2010, 10:28 PM

Amg Clk 63 Black Series
Thanks for the photos, I have decided on the O.Z for the time being and will use spacers to correct the offset.I will order a set of 2 piece rear rotors from Evosport and fit them when I fit new OE front rotors .
Keeping your vehicle clean like that requires time but is sure worth the effort.
Hayman is as good as it gets, though never been there.

I.S
Old 06-12-2010, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by sechsgang
Ya, thats why we dont use any of them. My cup only runs on fikses and jongbloeds. CCW makes a decent wheel for the track. Forgeline will definitely work as well.
Hey sechs, post a new thread with pics of your new cup car so we can all drool!
Old 06-13-2010, 12:12 PM

Hey sechs, post a new thread with pics of your new cup car so we can all drool!
Your wish, my command...
Old 06-14-2010, 02:37 PM

WHT BS
Originally Posted by SMP
How did you guess it's him? .............he's got to earn his keep somehow

BTW, thank you!
Nice dog. How much does he charge for the service???