CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Oil Temperature Readings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 10:57 PM
JDB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Oil Temperature Readings

Just wondering what you have experienced for average oil temperature readings?

Previously, I was seeing temps in the 95 c - 105 c range under light loadings.

Today, after an "A" service (and oil change) my readings went up to 124 c, again under light loadings, freeway driving at legal speeds and below, and air temperature around 85 - 90 F.

Coolant temperature remained normal around 90 c.

Oil was listed on the repair order as Mobil 1 5W-40 M (Same as was in the car when I took it in).

Any information that others might have to share would be helpful.

Thanks,
JDB
Old 09-14-2010, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Originally Posted by JDB
Just wondering what you have experienced for average oil temperature readings?

Today, after an "A" service (and oil change) my readings went up to 124 c, again under light loadings, freeway driving at legal speeds and below, and air temperature around 85 - 90 F.

Coolant temperature remained normal around 90 c.

Oil was listed on the repair order as Mobil 1 5W-40 M (Same as was in the car when I took it in).

Any information that others might have to share would be helpful.

Thanks,
JDB
Hey Dennis,
Funny you should post but I had the A service today also and was looking at the oil temps, with 103 C being the highest on a slow drive home in stop and go traffic on an 80 F degree day. I've seen 120's on track days with 90+degs. The engine will shut down when water temps hit 248 F . I dont' know what the oil temp would be for a shut down.
Could it be a bad sensor, but that would sure bug me not knowing and after a service.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by JDB

It's been so long since it was only 85 here that I forget! However even in the 98F to 107F air temp, I would only see 113c on the oil temp.

Originally Posted by Jim Brady
... I've seen 120's on track days with 90+degs. ....
With air temps at the track from 95 to 102F, I've hit 136c oil temp and it goes into limp mode until it recovers to 130c which is less than 1/2 lap (about a mile), then you get full power back.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:36 AM
LZH
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
I see 120+ temps all the time under normal to slightly agressive driving. I'm gonna have the dealer look at my oil temp Tstat. I find it hard to believe there is this much deviation in our running temps. Hell I see 120 under mellow driving all the time with 70 degree ambient.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:49 AM

C63 AMG
I actually had the same problem on my c63 after my service A oil change yesterday. I hope everything is ok.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:03 AM
JDB

CLK63 Black Series
Thanks for the replies.

I'm taking the car back to the dealership this morning to have them see if anything is out of the ordinary.

I'm just not comfortable with this sudden 15%-20% increase in the oil temperature readings.

The funny thing is that if I ignored the gauge reading, everything else seems normal. Nothing else indicates that the engine is overly warm. Past experience has been that when oil temps near this range (approx 250 F) it has been very obvious that the engine was very hot.

I'll let you know what the dealer finds when I return.

JDB
Old 09-15-2010, 10:53 AM

That's funny ... I also had an "A" service done this past Monday, at Fletcher Jones

G
Old 09-15-2010, 02:34 PM
LZH
Banned

CLK 63 Black Series, 2009 S550, 2011 Range Rover Supercharged, BMW F800 GS Anniv Edition
Originally Posted by JDB
Thanks for the replies.

I'm taking the car back to the dealership this morning to have them see if anything is out of the ordinary.

I'm just not comfortable with this sudden 15%-20% increase in the oil temperature readings.

The funny thing is that if I ignored the gauge reading, everything else seems normal. Nothing else indicates that the engine is overly warm. Past experience has been that when oil temps near this range (approx 250 F) it has been very obvious that the engine was very hot.

I'll let you know what the dealer finds when I return.

JDB

Please keep us posted.

One other question....do any of you think these temps have anything to do with the oil being used ? I know AMG changed the reccomended oil for these cars and some dealers still use the other grade...
Old 09-15-2010, 03:04 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by LZH
Please keep us posted.

One other question....do any of you think these temps have anything to do with the oil being used ? I know AMG changed the reccomended oil for these cars and some dealers still use the other grade...
Luke, I have an appointment in an hour to bring my car in for scheduled service. I'll talk to my mechanic about it. It's just a guess, but maybe MBZ uses different thermostats, because mine never gets up to those temperatures under normal driving. Even when I lean on the car on a hot day, it won't go past 115 C.

BTW, I use Mobil 1 5-40 ESP formula M ever since it was recommended by MBZ for the 63's.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:17 PM
LZH
Banned

Originally Posted by SMP
Luke, I have an appointment in an hour to bring my car in for scheduled service. I'll talk to my mechanic about it. It's just a guess, but maybe MBZ uses different thermostats, because mine never gets up to those temperatures under normal driving. Even when I lean on the car on a hot day, it won't go past 115 C.
BTW, I use Mobil 1 5-40 ESP formula M ever since it was recommended by MBZ for the 63's.
Sasha - Above, bold, is whats very odd. I can go get in my car right now, run it up and down Loma Vista at a moderate pace in 70 degree heat and it will be 120 by the time I get home.
When I drive it hard, it's at 127 consistently. I'm interestd to hear what your dealer has to say.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:52 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by LZH
Sasha - Above, bold, is whats very odd. I can go get in my car right now, run it up and down Loma Vista at a moderate pace in 70 degree heat and it will be 120 by the time I get home.
When I drive it hard, it's at 127 consistently. I'm interestd to hear what your dealer has to say.
Looks like you'll have to wait until tomorrow ....... because those Bozos don't have enough ESP Formula M in stock
Old 09-15-2010, 09:06 PM
LZH
Banned

Originally Posted by SMP
Looks like you'll have to wait until tomorrow ....... because those Bozos don't have enough ESP Formula M in stock
Gotta love that
I'm wondering if the oil has something to do with it...You and Jimmy both have the Powerchip tune, correct ?
Old 09-15-2010, 09:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Originally Posted by DFW01E55
It's been so long since it was only 85 here that I forget! However even in the 98F to 107F air temp, I would only see 113c on the oil temp.

With air temps at the track from 95 to 102F, I've hit 136c oil temp and it goes into limp mode until it recovers to 130c which is less than 1/2 lap (about a mile), then you get full power back.
Same experience last month at Sebring in a C63, oil temps get near 137c/280f and limp mode kicks in. The C takes longer to recover than half a lap however.

My normal oil temp is usually 103c/217f in normal driving in Florida's climate.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by hhughes1
Same experience last month at Sebring in a C63, oil temps get near 137c/280f and limp mode kicks in. The C takes longer to recover than half a lap however....
Do you have any extra oil coolers? That could be the next mod.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:46 PM
JDB

CLK63 Black Series
Here's my report on what happened today.

Checked the oil level (Mobil 1 5-40 ESP Formula M) in the morning, before starting. It appeared to be slightly overfilled.

I drove to the dealership, about 45 minutes away. Oil temperatures were back within their normal range. Highest indicated that I saw was 100 c - 102 c.

When the dealership looked at the car, the only thing they could see was that the oil level was slightly overfilled, so they sucked about half a quart out.

Drove the car for the rest of the day, and temperature readings remained in the 95 c - 105 c range.

Nothing outwardly indicates that the engine had overheated at all. I think it must have been a bogus reading on the display since everything else seems normal. No warning lights, no overheating of the engine coolant, etc. Doesn't give me much confidence in the oil temperature readings from here on out. I hate it when they cry "Wolf". I hope I never see another high reading like this, again.

By the way, all components are as they came from the factory. No special tuned ECU, etc.

JDB
Old 09-16-2010, 12:47 AM
LZH
Banned

Originally Posted by JDB
Here's my report on what happened today.

Checked the oil level (Mobil 1 5-40 ESP Formula M) in the morning, before starting. It appeared to be slightly overfilled.

I drove to the dealership, about 45 minutes away. Oil temperatures were back within their normal range. Highest indicated that I saw was 100 c - 102 c.

When the dealership looked at the car, the only thing they could see was that the oil level was slightly overfilled, so they sucked about half a quart out.

Drove the car for the rest of the day, and temperature readings remained in the 95 c - 105 c range.

Nothing outwardly indicates that the engine had overheated at all. I think it must have been a bogus reading on the display since everything else seems normal. No warning lights, no overheating of the engine coolant, etc. Doesn't give me much confidence in the oil temperature readings from here on out. I hate it when they cry "Wolf". I hope I never see another high reading like this, again.

By the way, all components are as they came from the factory. No special tuned ECU, etc.

JDB
Perhaps the oil being a bit high is the cause of higher oil temps. I'm pretty sure your oil temp is accurate...these 63 motors run VERY hot even in stock trim. You should not worry about seeing 124 degree readings...mine sees that all the time and it's normal. Now, if you were constantly going into limp mode then that would be another story. But even then, limp mode kicks in to stop you from doing damage. These motors are pretty bulletproof, I wouldnt worry about it at all.
Old 09-16-2010, 08:11 AM
JDB

CLK63 Black Series
Luke,

Thank you for your additional comments.

I understand that your car has regular temp readings in the 120+ C range. So, I agree with you that that must be normal for your car.

I purchased my car new, and during the past 34 months and 9,800 miles of driving, the car has only indicated readings above 115 c during a track session on a day when the ambient air temperature was is excess of 100 F.

This car normally runs in between 95 C - 105C, so the nearly 20% increase in the gauge display really concerned me. The strange thing is that nothing else that I observed was consistent with this abnormally high (for my car) temperature display.

I'll be watching the temperatures, but based on yesterday's driving, both before and after the oil level adjustment, the readings stayed within the 95 C - 105 C range.

The cause of the 124 C reading, which I still don't believe was real, still remains a mystery to me.

JDB

Last edited by JDB; 09-16-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Do any of you especially when tracking the car ever put 10W-60 in? I have used it alot from my E60 M5 days and it seems to stand up to abuse well.

Just wondered if the OEM Mobil 1 was working well on track for everyone.

Bish
Old 09-16-2010, 11:22 AM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by LZH
Gotta love that
I'm wondering if the oil has something to do with it...You and Jimmy both have the Powerchip tune, correct ?
I went back to stock a very long time ago. I think I had the PC tune for less than 6 month.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:26 AM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by JDB
Luke,

Thank you for your additional comments.

I understand that your car has regular temp readings in the 120+ C range. So, I agree with you that that must be normal for your car.

I purchased my car new, and during the past 34 months and 9,800 miles of driving, the car has only indicated readings above 115 c during a track session on a day when the ambient air temperature was is excess of 100 F.

This car normally runs in between 95 C - 105C, so the nearly 20% increase in the gauge display really concerned me. The strange thing is that nothing else that I observed was consistent with this abnormally high (for my car) temperature display.

I'll be watching the temperatures, but based on yesterday's driving, both before and after the oil level adjustment, the readings stayed within the 95 C - 105 C range.

The cause of the 124 C reading, which I still don't believe was real, still remains a mystery to me.

JDB
Your cars oil temp readings are identical to mine.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:31 AM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by thebishman
Do any of you especially when tracking the car ever put 10W-60 in? I have used it alot from my E60 M5 days and it seems to stand up to abuse well.

Just wondered if the OEM Mobil 1 was working well on track for everyone.

Bish
I use that grade Castrol in my M6. It's specifically designed for BMW M engines.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
Originally Posted by SMP
I use that grade Castrol in my M6. It's specifically designed for BMW M engines.
Correct. It can however be used in any highly stressed engine subjected to high load/heat. I use it in the GT-R during the 'track' season.

Just wanted to know if anyone had tried anything other the OEM Mobil 1.

Bish
Old 09-16-2010, 02:27 PM

CLK Black
Originally Posted by thebishman
Correct. It can however be used in any highly stressed engine subjected to high load/heat. I use it in the GT-R during the 'track' season.

Just wanted to know if anyone had tried anything other the OEM Mobil 1.

Bish
Why risk a warranty claim? The stock oil seems to perform well and the full package is designed for the track.
Old 09-16-2010, 02:37 PM
LZH
Banned

Originally Posted by SMP
I went back to stock a very long time ago. I think I had the PC tune for less than 6 month.
Sasha - send me a PM about why you went back to stock. I was actually thinking of getting a tune...

And please let us know what your dealer says about these elevated oil temps...Specifically, I'd like to know what kind of Tstat setup our cars have...BTW, what dealer do you goto ?
Old 09-16-2010, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
At the risk of going a little bit OT, here's a link to an oil test that doesn't show Mobil 1 in the best light.
Of course, I'm sure most of you aren't surprised given the the deep pockets that Mobil has and the value of being named by MB or BMW or other high profile marques.
No association or interest in the oils or website, nor can I vouch for the accuracy. Have I covered myself? I don't know spit about oils.

Back on subject, sorry JDB.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil Temperature Readings