CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Evosport | Another evo3+ CLK63 BS with CARBON ROOF!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
that looks awesome. can't wait to see more pics!
Old 01-01-2011, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
Originally Posted by jbenz2001
What magazine can I find our type of cars in?
Did somebody say the original metal roof had to come off? A Carbon Fiber roof is not something that is going to be easy to change back to stock when the car is up for sale.

Just my take, but it looks ricer... and now there's One less, of the original CLK63BS's...

My thoughts,
Jim
Old 01-01-2011, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by MACHC5
Did somebody say the original metal roof had to come off? A Carbon Fiber roof is not something that is going to be easy to change back to stock when the car is up for sale.

Just my take, but it looks ricer... and now there's One less, of the original CLK63BS's...

My thoughts,
Jim
YES !!! Cut the roof ... change it to Carbon Fiber ... car will be much lighter with a lower cog.

Unfortunately, due to my budget (no budget), my car will have to remain stock, OEM other than spacers ... darn !!!

G
Old 01-01-2011, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
The car and the CF roof look amazing! I don't like the matte black on the hood though.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
how are u guys doing this? Are u cutting the stock roof completely off? That IS drama for sure!
Old 01-02-2011, 11:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by Doctodd33
how are u guys doing this? Are u cutting the stock roof completely off? That IS drama for sure!
Why is it drama? People have been putting cf roofs on race cars for years and BMW deletes the stock steel roof panel and adds a cf panel on every M6 coupe they build and I recently heard they are going to be doing the same thing on 2012 M3 coupes. Take nearly 30 pounds off the highest point of my car...sign me up!!! 30 pounds might not sound like a whole lot but 30 here and 15 there and another 15 someplace else and you're talking about a serious diet. Between my Dymags, CF Sparco DTM seats, evosport lightweight 2-piece rotors I saved a couple hundred pounds over stock equipment...it all adds up when you look at the big picture.
Old 01-02-2011, 11:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 140 Likes on 107 Posts
ML350
u may be right. Just cuz i havent heard about it being done doesnt mean it hasnt been done. Not quite the bolt-on part however.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black, E350 Wagon, Supercharged Denali, Lotus Elise, Tesla Model 3 Dual-Motor.
Originally Posted by jrcart
Why is it drama? People have been putting cf roofs on race cars for years and BMW deletes the stock steel roof panel and adds a cf panel on every M6 coupe they build and I recently heard they are going to be doing the same thing on 2012 M3 coupes. Take nearly 30 pounds off the highest point of my car...sign me up!!! 30 pounds might not sound like a whole lot but 30 here and 15 there and another 15 someplace else and you're talking about a serious diet. Between my Dymags, CF Sparco DTM seats, evosport lightweight 2-piece rotors I saved a couple hundred pounds over stock equipment...it all adds up when you look at the big picture.
Our cars didn't have the factory moon roofs installed for weight considerations and helmet head room.
My 2005 EVO MR, same thing, no moon roof but it's made of aluminum.
And the EVO's big rear wing came Carbon fiber. Just had to paint it after 5 years, it turned yellow.
A driver could do better to go to a gym and lose the 20-30 lbs and improve their six pack.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Our cars didn't have the factory moon roofs installed for weight considerations and helmet head room.
My 2005 EVO MR, same thing, no moon roof but it's made of aluminum.
And the EVO's big rear wing came Carbon fiber. Just had to paint it after 5 years, it turned yellow.
A driver could do better to go to a gym and lose the 20-30 lbs and improve their six pack.
I dont have 30 pounds to lose on my body, maybe 15 tops, besides cutting weight off the car is easier LOL.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

u may be right. Just cuz i havent heard about it being done doesnt mean it hasnt been done. Not quite the bolt-on part however.
Actually the BMW roofs are made by ASC , a well known aftermarket company that began chopping the roofs off cars in the 1960's to convert them into convertible rag tops. They can turn any non-convertible car into a drop top. Now days they design and manufacturer many of the OEM sunroofs, moonroofs and convertible tops for many different vehicles including the BMW Z4. They have also built titanium roofs for a few cars. They are also often commisioned by many of the big automakers to build concept and prototype convertibles for autoshows etc.. So essentially, in reality the M6 roofs are "bolt-ons" and the evosport roof is really no different, with the exception of evosport having to remove the factory steel panel, BMW has the luxury of not installing the steel roof panel in the first place, other than that I bet the process and results are very very similar.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:25 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
The CF roof was/is an option on all M3 coupes, from the first model year on. On the M6 it's standard equipment.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SMP
The CF roof was/is an option on all M3 coupes, from the first model year on. On the M6 it's standard equipment.
Its going to be standard on 2012 M3s from what I gather.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K

Here are some pics when they did Dad's C63 roof.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...er-roof-2.html
Old 01-03-2011, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'13 GT-R AMS Alpha 9+, CLA45, E55
Looking great guys! Can't wait to see some more pics and a detailed mod list
Old 01-03-2011, 07:02 PM

... Take nearly 30 pounds off the highest point of my car...sign me up!!! 30 pounds might not sound like a whole lot but 30 here ..
Not on a BS ... the C63 example removed a sunroof assembly ... nothing to remove on the BS except a small piece of sheetmetal.

G
Old 01-03-2011, 07:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK BS
Originally Posted by dynomite05

Well, that certainly looks dramatic to me. To us common folks who are not ready (financially or mentally) to take our BS to jrcart's level, the installation of the CF roof is quite involved and takes a bit of commitment.

I'm still curious if that CF roof BS's hood is also CF? That'll be a much easier install with 20-30lb off the front of the car, equally significant in wt saving IMO.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:30 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
Originally Posted by cigarette1
Not on a BS ... the C63 example removed a sunroof assembly ... nothing to remove on the BS except a small piece of sheetmetal.

G
Correct. However, Jrcart has a point. A little bit here and there makes quite a difference in weight saving. The best weight savings (all bolt on, no cutting necessary) on a BS would be: The seats, the hood and the trunk lid. If you do the roof in CF as well, that's close to 200 pounds in weight savings.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SMP
Correct. However, Jrcart has a point. A little bit here and there makes quite a difference in weight saving. The best weight savings (all bolt on, no cutting necessary) on a BS would be: The seats, the hood and the trunk lid. If you do the roof in CF as well, that's close to 200 pounds in weight savings.
You are correct, my seat conversion saved me over 110 pounds, Dymags saved me about 45, lighter battery another 10,rotors about 40, roof will be another 25 to 30. More important than simple weight savings is where I am cutting the weight, Dymags and rotors are probably the single most important place to cut weight because its unsprung rotating mass, you get the obvious weight savings but also see improvements in steering, handling, acceleration and braking. The next best place to cut weight would be the roof because its the highest part of the car and several feet above the cars center of gravity, sure people will say what's 30 pounds off the top of a 3700 pound car, but it makes a differenc and if given the choice to save 40 or 50 pounds on wheels or rotors or 100 pounds elsewhere I would take the 40-50 pound savings on wheels.

The irony in all of this is that my car is not that much lighter than a stock BS because of the long tube headers and rool bar but if you were to drive a stocker and then jump in mine it would feel like a different car.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:54 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK63 Black Series
You are correct, my seat conversion saved me over 110 pounds, Dymags saved me about 45, lighter battery another 10,rotors about 40, roof will be another 25 to 30. More important than simple weight savings is where I am cutting the weight, Dymags and rotors are probably the single most important place to cut weight because its unsprung rotating mass, you get the obvious weight savings but also see improvements in steering, handling, acceleration and braking. The next best place to cut weight would be the roof because its the highest part of the car and several feet above the cars center of gravity, sure people will say what's 30 pounds off the top of a 3700 pound car, but it makes a differenc and if given the choice to save 40 or 50 pounds on wheels or rotors or 100 pounds elsewhere I would take the 40-50 pound savings on wheels.

The irony in all of this is that my car is not that much lighter than a stock BS because of the long tube headers and rool bar but if you were to drive a stocker and then jump in mine it would feel like a different car.
The roll bar I agree with. But the headers are probably a wash. No primary cats, no secondary cats and no resonators should yield enough weight savings for the LT's. Plus, the stock log manifolds, even though I've never held them in my hands, don't look light to me
Old 01-04-2011, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SMP
The roll bar I agree with. But the headers are probably a wash. No primary cats, no secondary cats and no resonators should yield enough weight savings for the LT's. Plus, the stock log manifolds, even though I've never held them in my hands, don't look light to me
You're probably right, I forgot about cat delete but I am running some aftermarket resonators, it was obnoxious with the LTs and then nothing but mufflers. It looks like evosport has a shop full of Blacks right now, I will see if Brad can throw one of the stockers up on a scale and then throw mine up on the scale. I've weighed my at the drag strip before but never weighed it stock so I don't know what the actual difference in weight of mine today vs stock. I just thought of a couple extra pounds I added, the front splitter and larger rear lip spoiler, their cf so probably only added a few pounds total...but it all adds up to negate some of my other weight saving, obviously the benefits probably out weigh the weight gains.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:20 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks incredible!!

Jim,

With all of those weight saving mods (Dymags, rotors, CF Seats, etc..) how much weight has your car lost would you guesstimate so far?
Old 01-04-2011, 01:07 PM
PREMIER SPONSOR

None fast enough!
Originally Posted by AMGfan
Brad...What is the weight savings compared to the OE roof? The more I look at the CLKBS...it really is pulling me towards pulling the trigger on one sooner than later. It'll make my AMG collection more complete...

If I go BS, then Chris @ C2Designs will be calling you guys for the works. I'll take mine in red with CF aero kit plus whatever your devious skunkworks has to offer...I better start working my buttt off 2011 because I know stock probably won't satisfy me...:0
The CF roof is approx 15-18lbs lighter then the stock metal one once the conversion is complete. However, taking 20lbs off the top of the car (the furthest point from the COG - center of gravity) has a far greater positive impact on performance than even taking 100lbs off of the car below the mid-line).

Chris at C2 does a great job and we are happy to supply them with our parts to service that region! This car stock is great, but once you drive one "tuned" you are hooked. There are very few cars on the road that can compare for looks, street performance, track performance and teenage-like burnouts! lol

Originally Posted by GeoGeo
Brad,

Thanks for all the nice info. Is the hood CF as well? It's hard to tell with the funky paint scheme....
The hood WILL BE CF. We have had three suppliers back out of the project, and are working to secure the mold. This car id going to be featured in a magazine and by the time the mag is out, the hood will be real CF.

My thoughts,
Jim
Yes, you have to understand that the roof on nearly any modern roadcar is NOT a structural component. The roll structure and strength is in the A-C pillar. The roof is cosmetic. Removing the roof and putting a CF one on is a bit time consuming, but is not major surgery.

We have done this for MANY years on BMW M3's and have been doing it for 997's for 1.5 years now. The AMG's are the next in line!

I don't think it is "ricer" at all. I have yet to see an import with a REAL CF roof. Yet, I see plenty of BMW, Porsche and other super exotics with them. This is just personal opinion, so you are not wrong, we just disagree.

As for original BS? WHY? These cars are not going to be collector cars, they will not appreciate like art. It is a damn good car and with the proper mods, it is an amazing one. With the price you can get one today and the money to mod one, you are less than any "super car" and have better insurance, performance and in fact a better performing car in nearly any comparison.

Originally Posted by dynomite05

Yep, we supplied that to him as well.

Originally Posted by cigarette1

G
Yes, that is a far greater savings. However, any weight you take off the TOP of the car, the better the performance and value.

thanks
Brad
Old 01-04-2011, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by JamE55
Looks incredible!!

Jim,

With all of those weight saving mods (Dymags, rotors, CF Seats, etc..) how much weight has your car lost would you guesstimate so far?
Like I was saying in my previous post I have no idea of total weight reduction becuase there have been several things installed on the car that actually added weight, as I mentioned these items include the front cf splitter, larger rear cf lip spoiler and roll bar. I know the roll bar alone added about 72 pounds. I'm running wider rubber all the way around, those steel and kevlar belts inside the tires add up. I'm not sure if the headers added weight or saved weight, same with exhaust and X pipe and larger than stock diameter stainless tubing. I'm not running any cats so that is a weight savings but does it offsett the X-pipe?...I'm sure the seats and Dymags alone were enough to offset any of the weight added back on but Brad would be the only one that knows for sure. Like I said before, I'm sure it's lighter than a stock BS but probably not my too much, the only way to know would be to have Brad throw it on a scale along with a stocker for side by side comparison.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
04 CLK 320 > CLK32K
Originally Posted by brad @ evosport
The CF roof is approx 15-18lbs lighter then the stock metal one once the conversion is complete. However, taking 20lbs off the top of the car (the furthest point from the COG - center of gravity) has a far greater positive impact on performance than even taking 100lbs off of the car below the mid-line).

Chris at C2 does a great job and we are happy to supply them with our parts to service that region! This car stock is great, but once you drive one "tuned" you are hooked. There are very few cars on the road that can compare for looks, street performance, track performance and teenage-like burnouts! lol

The hood WILL BE CF. We have had three suppliers back out of the project, and are working to secure the mold. This car id going to be featured in a magazine and by the time the mag is out, the hood will be real CF.

Yes, you have to understand that the roof on nearly any modern roadcar is NOT a structural component. The roll structure and strength is in the A-C pillar. The roof is cosmetic. Removing the roof and putting a CF one on is a bit time consuming, but is not major surgery.

We have done this for MANY years on BMW M3's and have been doing it for 997's for 1.5 years now. The AMG's are the next in line!

I don't think it is "ricer" at all. I have yet to see an import with a REAL CF roof. Yet, I see plenty of BMW, Porsche and other super exotics with them. This is just personal opinion, so you are not wrong, we just disagree.

As for original BS? WHY? These cars are not going to be collector cars, they will not appreciate like art. It is a damn good car and with the proper mods, it is an amazing one. With the price you can get one today and the money to mod one, you are less than any "super car" and have better insurance, performance and in fact a better performing car in nearly any comparison.

Yep, we supplied that to him as well.

Yes, that is a far greater savings. However, any weight you take off the TOP of the car, the better the performance and value.

thanks
Brad

If it's possible for me to get one here in NJ, could you PM me some more details?
Old 01-04-2011, 10:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Like I was saying in my previous post I have no idea of total weight reduction becuase there have been several things installed on the car that actually added weight, as I mentioned these items include the front cf splitter, larger rear cf lip spoiler and roll bar. I know the roll bar alone added about 72 pounds. I'm running wider rubber all the way around, those steel and kevlar belts inside the tires add up. I'm not sure if the headers added weight or saved weight, same with exhaust and X pipe and larger than stock diameter stainless tubing. I'm not running any cats so that is a weight savings but does it offsett the X-pipe?...I'm sure the seats and Dymags alone were enough to offset any of the weight added back on but Brad would be the only one that knows for sure. Like I said before, I'm sure it's lighter than a stock BS but probably not my too much, the only way to know would be to have Brad throw it on a scale along with a stocker for side by side comparison.
Jim,
The biggest performance enhancement that you will have done, when you get your car back, I think will be the new supercharger. I am so waiting to hear your reports on what transformation took place.....!
I know when I installed a MAGNA CHARGER on my 6 liter Denali, it turned into it into an All Wheel Drive rubber burning 0 to 50 MPH monster. The low end response is unreal. All this is after the Upgraded replacement transmission and 2500 stall torque converter. The original trans died within a month on a passing gear down shift while under boost.

Jim

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Evosport | Another evo3+ CLK63 BS with CARBON ROOF!