CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Potential headroom issue in the C63 Black Series

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 clk63 amg black series
Potential headroom issue in the C63 Black Series

I wanted to post this to anyone who has had seat time in the new c63 black. i finally took my wife's new c63 coupe to the track, just to see how the new girl would do, and found a big problem...I didn't FIT!!!

i have driven her car before, and found it fine, i usually spike my hair a bit and it can sometimes brush up against the headliner.

But throw the helmet in the mix and i couldn't fit. i am 6 foot even and the seat is as low as it goes and my helmet kept getting wedged against the headliner, and also because of the curvature of the roof, was leaning my head to the right. i had to slump down in the seat and lean that sucker so far back i looked like a raced out gangster barely able to reach the wheel!

i will be interested to hear, as i usually don't have the Cash to buy Black series cars brand new, i most definitely will be purchasing it after a year or two, that is unless the seats and/or dimensions are different. but from what i have read and seen the dimensions and seats seem to be identical.
your thoughts???

Last edited by spifffs; 02-06-2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: forgot a word or two
Old 02-06-2012, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Hi,

I'm approx. six feet as well. I fit fine in the CLK BS, but with helmet I also get stuck between the headliner and the seat. I do have the Recaro bucket seats. And I think I even have one lug nut hole which I can use to put it down, but it's tight... And uncomfortable.

Last edited by sprins; 02-06-2012 at 05:29 PM. Reason: CLKBS reference added
Old 02-06-2012, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 420 Likes on 346 Posts
MB’s
They are a tad bit of a squeez the new C Coupes or at least I found them to be. I can only imagine how bad it would be with a helmet on. If the wife doesnt mind sell it off and get into a bigger coupe maybe? Sounds like you need a bigger car for the race track.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:24 PM
SMP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
CLK63 BS doesn't have a sunroof/pano roof and has therefor about an inch and a half more headroom. I'm 6'1 and don't come close to the headliner when wearing a helmet.

C63 BS on the other hand comes to the US only with a pano roof, just like all the other C Coupes ... hence less headroom. Maybe, just maybe if you install racing seats WITHOUT sliders you'll have enough room ...
Old 02-07-2012, 06:13 AM

10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
Interesting post, although I like the regular C63 AMG I too had trouble feeling comfortable inside it so I never put it on my list of future used AMG's to buy. This post reinforces my decision and makes me want to keep my CLK63 BS even more. IMO it's still "the best of the best" and may never be duplicated again.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:01 PM

CLK 63 AMG Black
I'm 6'1" at 197, and have no trouble with fitting into the BS, in a helmet. Agree, the sunroof is the issue.
After years of wanting an original Ford GT40, I finally had the chance to sit in one. There was not a chance in hell I could drive it. Absolutely didn't fit. I don't know how Gurney did it, even with the Gurney bubble. AS
Old 02-09-2012, 11:21 AM

2008 CLK 63 BS
At 6'5" and wearing a helmet I have no problem fitting in the Euro spec (so with the Euro seats) CLK BS. 'Fatter' U.S. seats and a pano surely would change that.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 C200K SS, '05 Kleemann CLK500K, '08 Hummer H3 & '92 Z34 5sp (track car in Canada)
Originally Posted by spifffs
i had to slump down in the seat and lean that sucker so far back i looked like a raced out gangster barely able to reach the wheel!

I really appreciate the headroom in my CLK, not problems with the helmet on at the track and I'm also 6', didn't know the C had less headroom, good to know for future.