CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

CLK BS or wait for the C63 BS?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 11:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 E63
Talking CLK BS or wait for the C63 BS?

Hey Guys -

I am in need of all your opinions. The speed bug has bit me (again), and I am looking to change things up possibly. I am selling my 2011.5 M3 (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=315165218) and I am on the fence of a) buying a low mileage CLK 63 BS or putting cash down on a C63 BS at a local dealer.

I have always been in love with the CLK since I first set my eyes on it back in 2008, and now they are something that is within reach with being around $70 - $80K. The second option is going for the C63 BS (top of my budget).

A bit of background: I have recently bought a 2012 C63 Edition One (wife's car), and now that I have driven that torque monster, the M just feels a bit slow around town. Granted, once you get into the high RPM range on the M, it takes off, and drives like a dream, but it's not the same as the C63. This has lead me to look for something that has a but more "punch".

I have also considered just keeping the M (which I still love to drive), and adding a ESS supercharger, which would put down almost 600 HP to the flywheel (about $12K), but then you run into warranty issues. I also only keep my cars for about a 1 - 2 years at the most.

To all you CLK owners, how much did the CLK deprecate over the first/second years? How is the 2008 Tranny vs. the 2012 7-speed**** on my C63? Does it get a lot of looks? What about an extended warranty on the CLK?

If I picked up a C63 BS, based on your experience with the CLK, would the car deprecate like other Merc's, or is the Black Series "unique" and not take a big hit as soon as I drive it off the lot?

Any major dependability issues with the CLK over time? Any "high" mileage CLKS (30K-40K) miles out there?

How is the aftermarket support and community for the CLK BS?

Apologies for all the questions, I have been researching for a while, but I might as just take these questions right to the source.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:23 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes Evo II
i have been asking the same question to myself and i will pick the clk63 bs because imo it looks incredible in real life better than the c63 bs. Also pricewise the clk is cheaper and you can tune it with the price diff. Not to mention that stock the c63 is not much faster at all around the ring Regarding this forum i have been reading posts for a few months now and the people and quality of post/knowledge is truely stuning imo. (i read car stuff a lot but here is a level above in terms of knowledge of posters)
Old 02-09-2012, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
With the CLK BS, you get the better looking car and save a good amount of money to boot.

Sounds like a no brainer to me.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by Nachtsturm
With the CLK BS, you get the better looking car and save a good amount of money to boot.

Sounds like a no brainer to me.
+1
Old 02-09-2012, 03:56 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I am about to put my CLK BS on the market. Silver with 8600 miles. I can post some pics if you guys are interested. Been absolutely babied.
Attached Thumbnails CLK BS or wait for the C63 BS?-securedownload.jpeg  

Last edited by pjfla; 02-09-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:12 PM

2010 E63
Originally Posted by pjfla
I am about to put my CLK BS on the market. Silver with 8600 miles. I can post some pics if you guys are interested. Been absolutely babied.
PMed
Old 02-09-2012, 04:36 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Just emailed you.

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2012, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
I've owned a CLK63 BS, a C63, and in a month, the C63 BS. I've also driven the facelifted C63 with the MCT.

I bought my C63 before the CLK63 BS, so getting into that car the transmission was a huge downgrade. For you, going from the MCT to the CLK BS will be a bigger step down. The car was perfect otherwise. At the track, in S mode, it's completely fine, but around town, the lack of throttle blip drove me insane. On wet roads in M mode, the rear end will kick out downshifting.

The infotainment in the C63 blows the CLK away. Of course, that's because the CLK interior is 10 years old. With the AMG Performance Media, the gap will grow even larger.

In comparison to the M3 + supercharger, I replaced my HPF M3 with the CLK BS. I prefer the thrill of tossing around the CLK BS over the straight line speed of the M3. YMMV here, I prefer a lively car over a brutally fast (straight line) car. Much better entertainment value.

If you're worried about depreciation, get the CLK BS. The C63 BS will depreciate, just like any other car, regardless of how rare.

My primary reason for selling the CLK BS to upgrade to the C63 BS was mainly because the CLK BS wasn't technically legal in Canada, and it was starting to get annoying dealing with cross border working visas to keep the car in Canada. I would've been perfectly happy to keep the CLK BS and pass on the C63 BS.

That opinion might change in a month when I get the C63 BS. Hope that helps.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 Cayenne GTS, 07 Porsche 911 Turbo
Agree 100% regarding the CLK63 BS. Keep in mind the CLK 63 BS is the last of CLK coupe line in the USA whereas the C63 continues to be available. Granted the C63 BS will be a limited production, one-time only production event but based upon my MB experience is there a cabriolet in the future - just speculating? After all MB is also testing the market to see if there is room for a crossover luxo/performance pick-up to compete with the Cadillac Escalade. I also had the opportunity to drive a Renntech CL65 (670 hp and 820 tq) and a standard CL65. I passed on both because I like everything about my BS whereas I could easily find fault with the CL's. I'm also a believer in the saying that "when you turn your car on, it should also turn you on"! My BS does that for me evey time I look at it and drive it!
Old 02-09-2012, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Euro Cars Only
I don't have much to say since I don't own any of the two or driven any of the two but I do own a W209 55. Judging by looks alone I say CLK BS simply because the C63 BS doesnt impress me whereas the CLK is a beefy and beastly looking machine that ALWAYS turns heads. The C just doesnt cut it for me, it doesnt have the wow factor.
In terms of depreciation, you will lose a lot more if you opt for the C63 BS.
With the price difference you can upgrade some of the internals.
It seems there's a lot more upgrades for the CLK 63BS than for the normal CLK AMG's whether its the 55 or 63 non BS.

I say go for the CLK and if down the road you're not satisfied (which I highly doubt) sell it (you wont lose much) and maybe consider the C63 BS.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Talking

Sorry to break the bad news to you but the only way you are going to get a new C63 BS is if you are willing to pay $20-$30k over MSRP or if you want to wait a year or two to pick one up one the used market. I just got put through the ringer trying to get a C63BS and I currently own a CLK BS that I purchased new and put a deposit down on the C63BS nearly 5 months ago. I just got a call tonight confirming that I will indeed be receiving my new Black Series.

I started a thread over in the C63 section detailing my dilema and from the looks of it there are a lot of people that got a bum deal too so my advise to you is eithergrab a CLK or get your finances in order so if a C63BS comes available somewhere you can jump on it. It never fails that a few people back out of there deals before th car arrives and its then when some dealers panic and might want to move the car for MSRP. That's happened with the SL65 BSs. Set aside some time and start calling a lot of dealers and give them your info and tell them you are interested should one become available at MSRP. You might not get the exact equipment or color you want but that's the fun part of "limited production". Also keep in mind there were something like 380 CLK BSs sold in the US there are only 96 being sent to the US...scratch that 97
Old 02-09-2012, 08:33 PM

CLK 63 Black Series
I'm moving to Malaysia so need to sell mine, With the savings compared to the C63 BS, you can get a Weistec supercharger which will give you all the power you need. Let me know if you are interested.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:35 PM

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
jrcart's right. The C63 Black will be tougher to pick up @ msrp. The performance #s between two are fairly close and of course with the C beating the CLK. For the current mkt, the CLK blck's already taken a huge depreciation curve, but it's likely more about the recession than anything, so from a value standpt, go for the CLK. If you want something newer, slightly faster, go w/ the new beast.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:53 PM

2008 CLK BS
Originally Posted by 350driver
Hey Guys -

I am in need of all your opinions. The speed bug has bit me (again), and I am looking to change things up possibly. I am selling my 2011.5 M3 (http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=315165218) and I am on the fence of a) buying a low mileage CLK 63 BS or putting cash down on a C63 BS at a local dealer.

I have always been in love with the CLK since I first set my eyes on it back in 2008, and now they are something that is within reach with being around $70 - $80K. The second option is going for the C63 BS (top of my budget).

A bit of background: I have recently bought a 2012 C63 Edition One (wife's car), and now that I have driven that torque monster, the M just feels a bit slow around town. Granted, once you get into the high RPM range on the M, it takes off, and drives like a dream, but it's not the same as the C63. This has lead me to look for something that has a but more "punch".

I have also considered just keeping the M (which I still love to drive), and adding a ESS supercharger, which would put down almost 600 HP to the flywheel (about $12K), but then you run into warranty issues. I also only keep my cars for about a 1 - 2 years at the most.

To all you CLK owners, how much did the CLK deprecate over the first/second years? How is the 2008 Tranny vs. the 2012 7-speed**** on my C63? Does it get a lot of looks? What about an extended warranty on the CLK?

If I picked up a C63 BS, based on your experience with the CLK, would the car deprecate like other Merc's, or is the Black Series "unique" and not take a big hit as soon as I drive it off the lot?

Any major dependability issues with the CLK over time? Any "high" mileage CLKS (30K-40K) miles out there?

How is the aftermarket support and community for the CLK BS?

Apologies for all the questions, I have been researching for a while, but I might as just take these questions right to the source.

Thanks for the help.
Pros and cons to both. You can probably think of most of them so it comes down to what's important to you. Price? Technonology? Looks? Depreciation? At the end of the day you're the one driving it so only you can make the decision.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:06 PM

2012 C63, '07 Acura MDX
I stopped by my dealer today to get a status update on my build and my sales advisor told me they sold a c63 black series. He also said he wouldn't mark it up a penny and would sell it at msrp.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Renntech E63S
Originally Posted by jrcart
Sorry to break the bad news to you but the only way you are going to get a new C63 BS is if you are willing to pay $20-$30k over MSRP

there are only 96 being sent to the US...scratch that 97
yeah, here we go again. i guess it just depends on who you talk to. i still have a dealer calling bi-weekly, asking if i want their allocation. not sure why the interest in exaggerating the demand for this car or assuming your situation is systemic. further, it sounds like they will simply increase the number of cars they will send over if there are orders to fill.

if you want the car, order it up. just call around. they will find a way to take your 100 grand.

good luck, and show us some pictures when you get one!
Old 02-12-2012, 04:13 AM

911 Turbo
CLK BS will lack in the latest technology (biggest one being being blip throttle downshifts) , but looks better!
Old 02-23-2012, 11:34 PM

CLK63 AMG Black Series & 1994 MB E500
Just an FYI, early word out of the UK is next weeks Top Gear has Jeremy Clarkson driving the new Black Series. People who were in the studio to see the show live said he wasn't at all impressed. Keep in mind he is an owner of the CLK63 Black and has been over the top in praising it. It will be interesting to hear if he makes his own comparisons to the CLK63 BS vs the new C63 BS.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
That's interesting. He choose the CBS over the M3 GTS in the magazine review this month, so it's hard to believe he wasn't impressed at all. We'll see on Sunday!
Old 02-24-2012, 12:15 AM

Cars
Yep Top Gear website confirms the Black Series is on this Sunday's episode. Be interesting to see what Clarkson has to say as he seemed to like it in the M3 GTS vs the BS comparo.