CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

lowering a BS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 08:21 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2014 E63s
lowering a BS

being that the car is sitting on coil overs, how low can you adjust on factory suspension? i read of a few replacing springs but why would it be necessary? thanks
Old 03-30-2014, 11:45 AM

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
AMG GT C Roadster
Originally Posted by vcci
being that the car is sitting on coil overs, how low can you adjust on factory suspension? i read of a few replacing springs but why would it be necessary? thanks
Read thru the archives, it's pretty easy to do and it is well documented in the manual. There are stops on the perch which prevent you from going any lower, but you can also remove those stops as a few here did that.

Usually the front only requires a couple mm lower and it looks damn good (unless you are purposely trying to get the slammed look). Just remember if you lower more than just a few mm you will likely want an alignment.
Old 03-30-2014, 12:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
CLK63 AMG Black Series
Depending on the street conditions in your area, you may be scraping quite a bit. Also take speed bumps and driveways into consideration.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
You can drop an inch without too much drama. It improves looks but doesn't really help handling. Some of the replancement springs stiffen the chassis for track duty. I found the problem with lowering is hitting the shock bump stops which makes it handle like a 500hp go kart. Not very good for the track as your always trying to catch the rearend since the springs go to infininity. My newest setup is shorter springs with longer shock travel. Haven't had a chance to test on the track yet but it feels great on the freeway on and off ramps.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:09 PM

2014 E63s
Gorgeous car Jim.

I dont have a BS yet(just started looking) but when I do it'll never see the track. The lowering would strictly be for appearance but ride quality will play a big role. Would the lowest factory setting be too rough for LA roads?

I also noticed many add spacers to offset the wheels, does it have any effect on the ride/handling and would it make more sense to replace the wheels with a desired offset?
Old 03-31-2014, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 86 Likes on 58 Posts
'22 G 63 AMG, '21 GLE 53 AMG, '20 NSX
Gorgeous car Jim.

I dont have a BS yet(just started looking) but when I do it'll never see the track. The lowering would strictly be for appearance but ride quality will play a big role. Would the lowest factory setting be too rough for LA roads?

I also noticed many add spacers to offset the wheels, does it have any effect on the ride/handling and would it make more sense to replace the wheels with a desired offset?
Spacers are fine and help fill out the wheel wells no negatives in using them.
The ride quality is dependent on the shock setting not the springs. As someone else opined over an inch and you'll be scraping on driveways and speed bumps. You can lower much more if you want the visual appeal just know the downside.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:52 PM

2014 E63s
Thanks, what size spacers would be required to achieve an almost flush wheel to fender look?
Old 03-31-2014, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series; 1978 Toyota Land Cruiser; 2015 BMW R1200GSA; 2003 Porsche 996 Turbo (gone)
Just keep in mind that unlike Jim's car, the stock front lower fascia doesn't have any protection on the lip or underneath. If you scrap, you're leaving part of your car behind. I'm paranoid entering leaving some parking lots at stock height...no issues yet. As for spacers, I run 10MM the whole way around on mine and like the look.