CLK63 Black Series Forum & Registry Information and discussion on the W209 CLK63 AMG Black Series and Registry for all owners.

Help with Ideas for SMOG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 11:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cars
Help with Ideas for SMOG

I purchased a car from a forum member a month ago and wasn't made aware it wouldn't pass smog legally due to not having any cats. The car has longtube headers and a catless x-pipe. In NV, we don't have visual inspections, just have to not have any CEL's and the car's systems have to be ready. There are no CEL's, but the tuner shut the readiness of the cat systems off so no CELs show on the dash, but technically would.

I have had cars with cats removed before, but they had antifoulers put into the o2 bungs to trick the system into thinking there was a cat. Can anything similar be done to trick SMOG into thinking there are cats? Otherwise, my only option might be to put the stock headers back on and have the car retuned/have them turn on the cats readiness.

Thanks in advance for any ideas. I'd love to avoid the expense of swapping out the headers and think the car is perfect with the headers.

Ryan
Old 05-11-2018, 02:35 PM

Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts
AMG GTS, Ford Raptor and Tesla Model 3 dual motor
Have you run an OBD test to see if any codes show up. If not, as long as the CEL is off the dash you should be good. By the way I am in NV as well and the smog test's out here as lightening fast compared to CA where I moved from. Based on the year of the car, 2008 no visual required, he plugs into the OBD port and he's done. From start to finish less than 10 minutes. Good luck.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:24 PM

Cars
That's the most frustrating part of it coming from SoCal. If I were there, it would be resolved.

The Smog check I had didn't fail, but was "Rejected". In the computer, the check for the cats is turned off via the tune. That way it doesn't show up as a CEL, but is not ready to smog like as if I had just reset the battery recently.
Old 05-12-2018, 02:44 AM

Received 70 Likes on 42 Posts
AMG GTS, Ford Raptor and Tesla Model 3 dual motor
Generally you have to drive the car for a hundred or so miles before it goes away. On a side note is there anyplace to drive out here with some twisties?
Old 05-14-2018, 10:32 AM

Cars
Any thoughts as to whether I could put a high flow cat into the X-pipe and that would then allow me to pass (after also turning back on the cats on the ECU)?
Old 05-14-2018, 11:51 PM

F80 M3, CLK63 Black Series, E350
Register it in Montana, problem solved.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:18 PM

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 AMG Black Series
It doesn't matter what you do to the exhaust now. The tuner has already disabled the cat readiness monitors via the tune. You have to get the tune modified and have those settings reenabled. Then either do your defouler mod (not recommended because LTFTs being thrown off), or add some cats back in.
The following users liked this post:
John Choi (05-18-2018)
Old 05-17-2018, 11:34 AM

Cars
Thanks. That's what I've determined as well. Was hoping to find someone in NV that could pass it, but am having no luck. Just about ready to put the stock headers/cats back on, retune the car (and have them turn the settings back on) and call it a day.
Old 05-17-2018, 01:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
E46 M3, E92 M3, CLK63 BS
SuckaGDog is correct, the tuner disabled them in the tune, but not in a way that shows the readiness monitors have "passed". I'm not intimately familiar with the tuning on these cars, but in an ideal situation the tuner would tune the post cat O2's out, but so that it showed the readiness monitors completed and passed. I've run into this in the BMW and GM world where some tuners know how to do it properly and others do not. I just don't know if the CLK63 software can be coded this way. If not, you'll have to have them re-enabled and run anti foulers or install some good high flow cats.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:26 AM

Cars
I don't believe antifoulers or high flow cats will work as a solution on these cars from what I'm told. I have one more hope that I'm meeting today...otherwise it'll be be swapping back the headers/cats and retune.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 CL55AMG
The tuner needs to set the OBDII to not available instead not ready statues. Only other option other than putting oem parts back on is register the car in non emission counties in Nv.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:17 PM

Cars
How would I register in another county without having an address there? Also, what about insurance and matching the address of that to wherever I register? Any implications if there are ever any insurance claims?
Old 05-18-2018, 12:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 CL55AMG
nailed it, the issues with registering the cars in Pahrump, Nv. This town has average of 5 cars registered per household. I would try get it retuned if its possible before putting back the oem exhaust manifold but putting it back to stock exhaust set up will never give a emission issues again...

Last edited by John Choi; 05-18-2018 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-18-2018, 01:10 PM

Cars
Just sucks that we have harder emissions than other states. And ever worse that if I were in CA, I'd have a solution there. Last hope today or else putting stock headers on and calling it a day.
Old 05-26-2018, 11:30 AM

Cars
All registered. Thanks all
The following users liked this post:
Doctodd33 (05-27-2018)