Questions from a future CLS owner

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 08:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 CSRT4
Questions from a future CLS owner

Hello guys, I tried to use the search but did not find specific answers.

I am going to be buying a CLS W219 (liking the AMG appearance package) in the near future and wanted to register here and get the inside info on these cars from actual owners and MB enthusiasts. I am located in Orlando, FL so it will be an US spec CLS. Not particularly interested in the CLS55 or the CLS63 because of the gas mileage. I'm coming from a supercharged/turbo world so simplicity is what I am looking for. Rebuilding turbos and blowers is no longer fun.

What years are the major improvements, what factory improvements have been done for this generation (entertainment/NAV, engine, drivetrain, etc.)? I see that 2009 has a better looking steering wheel. What year would you recommend that I get?

What are the most common reliability issues?

What are the "must-have" mods that are cost effective for performance or styling? I see that black headlight housings look very cool on this car, I have done it to my current CSRT4 and it's a piece of cake for me

What should I look for when buying a used CLS?

Thanks in advance!
Old 05-22-2013, 12:35 AM

09 CLS550
Originally Posted by Dimitri_K
Hello guys, I tried to use the search but did not find specific answers.

I am going to be buying a CLS W219 (liking the AMG appearance package) in the near future and wanted to register here and get the inside info on these cars from actual owners and MB enthusiasts. I am located in Orlando, FL so it will be an US spec CLS. Not particularly interested in the CLS55 or the CLS63 because of the gas mileage. I'm coming from a supercharged/turbo world so simplicity is what I am looking for. Rebuilding turbos and blowers is no longer fun.

What years are the major improvements, what factory improvements have been done for this generation (entertainment/NAV, engine, drivetrain, etc.)? I see that 2009 has a better looking steering wheel. What year would you recommend that I get?

What are the most common reliability issues?

What are the "must-have" mods that are cost effective for performance or styling? I see that black headlight housings look very cool on this car, I have done it to my current CSRT4 and it's a piece of cake for me

What should I look for when buying a used CLS?

Thanks in advance!
I was in your shoes a few months ago and decided to pull the trigger not knowing what I was getting myself into. I bought an 09 CLS 550 with around 30k miles and I have had no issues whatsoever. The 09 I believe has upgraded tail lights, Command system, and grille. The car looks great and drives smooth but I was mostly impressed with the power it had. I own another fast car but for as big a car this was and as much as it weighs it really moves. The car came is parktronic system which I think is a must cause I never know how close I am to hitting something with such a big car. Visibility I thought would be poor given the size of the windows and its odd shape but it has good visibility all the way around. I have only had the car a few months but I can honestly say I feel confident that this was a good purchase. Only thing I don't like is the 18" AMG package wheels look too small for the car but lets face it I was gonna change them out anyway
Old 05-22-2013, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
What to look for? As with any car, get a AutoCheck and CarFax. Get it inspected.

Reliability issues? Airmatic is known to go around 100K, but that goes with any MB with airmatic.

What year to get? Right now, I would say 2009 and above with low miles.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:36 AM

08 CSRT4
Thanks guys and I just realized I posted in the C218 thread DOH!!!

The more I read about the CLS, the more I am inclined to get a 2009. The 2010 still has not depreciated enough for my budget so when the time is right to buy, I might jump on that. I see that the 2010 CLS550 with the sport package has the paddle shifters and the flat bottom steering wheel. I can't wait to get my hands on one of these, I currently have a close to 400HP CSRT4 and a 550+HP turboed Oldsmobile, which I will be selling in order to get the CLS and I know it won't be as fast as either of my current cars but boy what a stylish car! First mods will be wheels, flat clearcoat, black housing headlights as well as painting all the chrome pieces in gloss black, lowering the ride height. I found a company that makes retrofit kits for the air ride so if that fails, I will put some coil springs on the CLS and press on. Not a fan of the air ride, had previous vehicles that went flat on me before.

How is the 2009+ entertainment system? Hard drive? Touch screen? Voice command? DVD player? I have all of these in my factory Dodge RER unit and was wondering if the CLS will be at least comparable. Also how is the sound? Does it have a factory subwoofer? Mine has a 13 speaker Kicker Livin' Loud factory system and the sound quality is outstanding (until all the cheap Dodge plastics start rattling inside )
Old 05-22-2013, 05:41 AM

Designo Brilliant Black Paint W219
NTG 2.5 comand unit is great!

How is the 2009+ entertainment system? Hard drive? Touch screen? Voice command? DVD player? I have all of these in my factory Dodge RER unit and was wondering if the CLS will be at least comparable. Also how is the sound? Does it have a factory subwoofer? Mine has a 13 speaker Kicker Livin' Loud factory system and the sound quality is outstanding (until all the cheap Dodge plastics start rattling inside )
Well, When it comes to entertainment system, MB is not really reputed for it, Audi is! Although, the CLS (2009) model comes with the NTG 2.5 Comand unit which is a great enhancement over the previous NTG 1 unit. It is not a touch-screen unit as opposed to most Japanese units but then again it has its distinctive features, few of which are:

DVD/MP3, 40 Gb Hard Disc Navigation, DVD American/European Hard Disc Navigation, DVD Video Movie Playback, DVD Audio, MP3 Music Playback, SD Card Slot, HardDisc MP3 Music Register Storage, Integrated Bluetooth Telephone, Linguatronic Voice Control, Birds-eye View etc.

Harmon Kardon is great and you can tick that on your 'must have' list if you really want that wow factor when it comes to quality sound. The H/K has got a factory sub-amp which is amply enough for the discerning few.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:50 AM

08 CSRT4
That is a pretty good list of features, covers my basic needs. I agree on the Audi's sound systems- had 2 A6's in the past and the older one even with a tape deck (I used a CD walkman with a cassette adapter) sounded excellent. Bose does their homework well! BMW on the other hand(had two of these as well) had horrible sound.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:16 AM

CLS 550
Dimitri,
I too was in your shoes just two months ago!

Regarding features, some of my favorites are the upgraded wood/leather combination steering wheel, the back window sun shade (its also good for a little privacy), the keyless/push to start feature, parktronic, heated and cooling seats.

The screen is not touch screen. That and the dated navi system seem to be the drawbacks for me. However, it wasnt enough to sway my decision!

For reference I have a Certified Pre Owned 2009 CLS 550 w the premium 1 package, purchased with about 45K miles. The voice command is quite convenient, but still not what it should be.

In my search, I did come across a few vehicles with the premium 2 package, which I believe has different rims. Way cooler. However, the drawback for me with that was the rougher ride. Cant give much tips on styling, because Im a boring factory everything kind of girl

Regarding reliability, I've had one issue thus far. I heard a squeaking noise, which happened to be the engine belt and tension belt. Thankfully it was covered by warranty and was replaced in a few days. Else, I have had no other issues.

Hope this helps and happy MB shopping
Old 05-23-2013, 11:22 AM

08 CSRT4
Originally Posted by GlammaGurl
Dimitri,
I too was in your shoes just two months ago!

Regarding features, some of my favorites are the upgraded wood/leather combination steering wheel, the back window sun shade (its also good for a little privacy), the keyless/push to start feature, parktronic, heated and cooling seats.

The screen is not touch screen. That and the dated navi system seem to be the drawbacks for me. However, it wasnt enough to sway my decision!

For reference I have a Certified Pre Owned 2009 CLS 550 w the premium 1 package, purchased with about 45K miles. The voice command is quite convenient, but still not what it should be.

In my search, I did come across a few vehicles with the premium 2 package, which I believe has different rims. Way cooler. However, the drawback for me with that was the rougher ride. Cant give much tips on styling, because Im a boring factory everything kind of girl

Regarding reliability, I've had one issue thus far. I heard a squeaking noise, which happened to be the engine belt and tension belt. Thankfully it was covered by warranty and was replaced in a few days. Else, I have had no other issues.

Hope this helps and happy MB shopping
Thank you for the reply, I have been drawn to the wood/leather steering wheel myself, especially in the tan colored interior- looks so rich!

What real world gas mileage do you guys get with the CLS550? This is a big selling point for my wife

I have already done the math between say 16MPG and 24MPG car based on 10k miles per year- the 16MPG car will cost $65 per month more, to which I say "Hell yes!", I'd rock a nice big Benz for that little more money.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:34 AM

08 CSRT4
Hey guys, read this ad! It is hilarious! Apparently you need to pass a background check to test drive this car, good thing I have a clean record...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/UNIQUE-2008-Mercedes-Benz-CLS550-4-Door-5-5-liter-custom-paint-Great-Shape-Clean-/350799870361?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item51ad4d3999
Old 05-24-2013, 10:10 AM

CLS 550
Thank you for the reply, I have been drawn to the wood/leather steering wheel myself, especially in the tan colored interior- looks so rich!

What real world gas mileage do you guys get with the CLS550? This is a big selling point for my wife

I have already done the math between say 16MPG and 24MPG car based on 10k miles per year- the 16MPG car will cost $65 per month more, to which I say "Hell yes!", I'd rock a nice big Benz for that little more money.
Yes, the wood/leather steering wheel is definitely a plus. Also, be sure to check out the rear sun-shade. It keeps the back seat passengers in the shade (but I secretly use it to provide some privacy, as if Im in a Bentley )

The gas mileage varies. When I am in NYC stop and go killer traffic, its terrible. However, most of my day to day commute to work is spent on the highway, and my gas mileage is great.

It really depends on if you're street or highway driver. On the street I probably average 14-16 mpg, on the highway, definitely higher. It's not as bad as I thought. Im pretty happy with it.