Don't call this a build thread

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2019, 07:55 PM

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
07 TL, 05 350z, 08 MDX
Don't call this a build thread

Here is a list of the mods/updates I have done so far in chronological order. Feel free to ask any questions and I will more than gladly answer as much as possible.
  • AMG Door Pins - When I first got the car, I couldn't stand those plastic door pins. They were first to go. Replaced with OEM AMG door pins. Did it myself. Love them.
  • AMG valve stem caps - OEM AMG valve stem caps for the AMG wheels. Did it myself. LoL, nothing to brag about.
  • LED Clear Side Markers - Purchased on ebay. Installed myself. PITA for the first one, second one was smooth and quick.
  • Front Door Projector MB Logo Lights - Purchased on ebay. Installed myself.
  • Gloss Black Roof Wrap performed at Wrap District in Ontario Canada. Great group of guys, highly recommend. They used Avery Dennison vinyl.
  • Gloss Black Roof Rails Wrap performed at Wrap District in Ontario Canada. Same type and brand vinyl.
  • Gloss Black Center Lip Wrap performed at Wrap District in Ontario Canada. Same type and brand of vinyl.
  • MB House in Ontario did some work to my car as well. They share space w Wrap District. I also highly recommend MB House. Alex and Andrei have great customer service and put out a great product.
    • Apple Car Play Retro fit - love it. And I can adjust sound quality of my music too. Google Maps blows away my command.
    • DRL LED Full Brightness
    • Star Module Lowering using Airmatic Suspension. Lowered approximately 1.5". Kinda wish I had gone 1" or 1.25" . I may have it adjusted in the future.
    • Agility "A" Mode
    • Typing in Motion
    • Turn Signal Flash increase from 3 to 5
    • Eco Mode - remembers what the last setting was so I don't have to turn it off each time I turn the car on
    • AMG Menu
    • Control Units Firmware - ECU/TCU/Command (did this in prep for my upcoming Euro Charged Tune)
  • EuroCharged Stage 1 Tune with and without Burble (I haven't applied it yet but will in the coming days). Also got the MyGenius device. I have my original ECU file saved in DropBox. So far, Eurocharged has picked up the phone every time I have called and have been polite and answered all my questions. Customer service goes a long way with me. Some other tuners have left me waiting on emails, information, invoices, etc... so Eurocharged made sense for me. Plus they have an engine warranty program. Hope I never have to use it.
  • CarPro UK, Cquartz 3.0 Ceramic coating topped with CarPro Gliss 2.0. (this is in progress and i'm doing it myself, hence why I won't post pics yet). All paint correction performed using Griots Garage Boss Creams and Rupees Bigfoot, PC7424XP and Griots Garage 3" polisher using a variety of pads from microfiber cutting pads to foam finishing pads. Detailing is my passion and I'm more than happy to answer questions on this topic.
  • Affalterbach Sticker for Media Knob - Really happy w the look. Check out the pics below.

and here is a list of future plans in order:
  • Rear Door Projector MB Logo Lights - On Order
  • MB Logo Black AMG hood/bonnet emblem to match the roof and center caps on my current OEM wheels
  • Rims. Nothing too crazy. 19" Vossens or similar. I need the tires to have a little meat on the rims due to road conditions in my area during certain times of the year.
  • AMG Exhaust and diffuser

And that will probably be about it. Thanks for reading.

Part Number for Media Control Knob Sticker

Before

and after

This is what the AMG Menus Looks like. I also have it in "A" (Agility) Mode in this picture.

AMG Door Pins

Clear LED Side Markers

AMG Valve Cap

Aftermarket Door Projectors

Last edited by ntwillie1; 12-01-2019 at 08:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Tbbt CLS (11-13-2019)
Old 11-12-2019, 08:11 PM

Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts
CLS400 4Matic EC Tuned
Did you replace the door pins on all four doors, or just the front two? Heard the front two you just twist them off, but the rear ones you most likely would have to remove the door panels.

Other than that, are you from Ontario? Because I'm low-key jealous of how they only have a shop in Toronto aha, wish they had a shop over here in Vancouver. How come you didn't get a tune from MB House?
GT532 (05-02-2020)
Old 11-12-2019, 08:23 PM

07 TL, 05 350z, 08 MDX
Hi idol. I am from NJ. I made about an 1100 mile round trip to get their services done.

Yes, I did all 4 doors. Didn’t have to remove the rear panels. The pins are different sizes front to rear. Fronts are scew on. Rears I carefully removed using pliers and a microfiber towel so as to not scratch anything. When I installed the rears I put a little loctite on them. I think I made a thread about it. Hope that helps.

i got the Eurocharged tune because I hadn’t heard much about MBHouse’s tunes. Plus I had already ordered the tune. And Eurocharged has a good rep for tunes.

Last edited by ntwillie1; 11-12-2019 at 08:26 PM.
Dblok1113 (11-13-2019)
Old 11-13-2019, 01:02 AM

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
2014 CLS 550

Yes, I did all 4 doors. Didn’t have to remove the rear panels. The pins are different sizes front to rear. Fronts are scew on. Rears I carefully removed using pliers and a microfiber towel so as to not scratch anything. When I installed the rears I put a little loctite on them. I think I made a thread about it. Hope that helps.

i got the Eurocharged tune because I hadn’t heard much about MBHouse’s tunes. Plus I had already ordered the tune. And Eurocharged has a good rep for tunes.[/QUOTE]

Same thing with the door pins here super easy to do , I did them and I’m not mechanically inclined at all. The rear you have to pull off with some force but they come out

and have you did a dyno with the eurocharged tune? I used to love in jersey but now I live real close to eurocharged and heard the same about customer service but renntech is also not far and I have family in Stuart so I could go either way just wanted to hear some numbers with the eurocharged tune. The renntech tune supposed to bring more torque but hp gains seem pretty close.
Old 11-13-2019, 05:52 PM

07 TL, 05 350z, 08 MDX
Hi dblok. I haven't dyno’d. I was going to do a before and after but my shop never got back to me for a slot so I just let it go by the way side. I’ll be applying my tune later this week or late next week. I’ll post up impressions after I apply. I’m still stock right now. And I found out I run 93 octane gas so thats what I was waiting on before sending them in my ecu file. I couldn’t remember if it was 91 or 93. Lol.

I actually don't want the max HP and TQ out of the engine. I think running it a little less than max will help reliability in the long run. I considered OE Tuning which is the most conservative of all the tunes I researched but they left me waiting on an Invoice when i was ready to buy so I decided not to pursue them. Like I said before, EC customer service has been top notch.

Last edited by ntwillie1; 11-14-2019 at 02:53 PM.
Dblok1113 (11-13-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 09:46 AM

07 TL, 05 350z, 08 MDX
EC just emailed me my tune files. i was going to apply it today during lunch but the MyGenius client on my pc is acting up. I tried reinstalling it a couple of times but keeps kicking back errors . Gonna have to wait til my son gets home after school so I can use his gaming laptop, LoL, to upload. Unfortunately i can't test drive the car until next week as my detail is not complete and I have to travel for work and won't be back til next Thursday. Urghhhhh. Oh well. Exciting anyways.

Btw, i emailed my ECU file to EC last night at around 7PM and I had it waiting in my inbox this morning. They are CST and I am EST. So pretty quick turn around.

Last edited by ntwillie1; 11-14-2019 at 02:55 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:32 PM

07 TL, 05 350z, 08 MDX
So I have a couple of updates. I've been adding pictures to the original post as I add or install a part so should be looking more complete soon as far as my mods go (if you can call them that).

1. I applied the EC tune and it is working well. The power is definitely there and the burble sounds good, usually only hear it on downshift between 3-4k. Love the pops not over bearing in anyway.. Unless I try to produce them I don't ever hear them. The car feels completely normal on the street but if I put it in S mode or A mode and give it the gas it really really moves. I haven't floored it yet as a lot of people have said that if you aren't careful that you can lose traction aka end up facing the wrong way. I'll try it at some point but just haven't found the right road and or weather conditions.

2. Because I like to be thorough, I purchased a BlueDriver ODB2 scan tool. I had it out today as I was tshooting a problem on my minivan so I said what the heck, let me run the smog test on the CLS and see if it would pass. Sure enough, passed. So maybe I won't have to remove the tune and go back to factory when i go in for my inspection. Luckily I just passed inspection in September so it'll be almost a full 2 years before I find out for sure. As for the BlueDriver ODB2 scanner, I gotta say, $100 well spent. Small device, works as advertised. For a youtube wannabe mechanic like me, does the job.

3. While I was at it, I figured let me just run the full diagnostic scan on the car. It came back mostly good meaning no error codes kicked out, but had some weird messages like:
  • ISM - Shift Module (A80) Trouble Codes:U0100-87, Communication w the control unit "combustion engine" has a malfunction
  • GPS Antenna - Circuit Open
  • TOC Registrion failed
  • and a bunch more.
I'm going to the dealer this week for an alignment since the car was lowered recently so will ask my advisor to take a look at the report I generated and see what he thinks.

Last edited by ntwillie1; 12-10-2019 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-28-2020, 01:50 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS550
Originally Posted by ntwillie1
Here is a list of the mods/updates I have done so far in chronological order. Feel free to ask any questions and I will more than gladly answer as much as possible.
  • AMG Door Pins - When I first got the car, I couldn't stand those plastic door pins. They were first to go. Replaced with OEM AMG door pins. Did it myself. Love them.
  • AMG valve stem caps - OEM AMG valve stem caps for the AMG wheels. Did it myself. LoL, nothing to brag about.
  • LED Clear Side Markers - Purchased on ebay. Installed myself. PITA for the first one, second one was smooth and quick.
  • Front Door Projector MB Logo Lights - Purchased on ebay. Installed myself.
  • Gloss Black Roof Wrap performed at Wrap District in Ontario Canada. Great group of guys, highly recommend. They used Avery Dennison vinyl.
  • Gloss Black Roof Rails Wrap performed at Wrap District in Ontario Canada. Same type and brand vinyl.
  • Gloss Black Center Lip Wrap performed at Wrap District in Ontario Canada. Same type and brand of vinyl.
  • MB House in Ontario did some work to my car as well. They share space w Wrap District. I also highly recommend MB House. Alex and Andrei have great customer service and put out a great product.
    • Apple Car Play Retro fit - love it. And I can adjust sound quality of my music too. Google Maps blows away my command.
    • DRL LED Full Brightness
    • Star Module Lowering using Airmatic Suspension. Lowered approximately 1.5". Kinda wish I had gone 1" or 1.25" . I may have it adjusted in the future.
    • Agility "A" Mode
    • Typing in Motion
    • Turn Signal Flash increase from 3 to 5
    • Eco Mode - remembers what the last setting was so I don't have to turn it off each time I turn the car on
    • AMG Menu
    • Control Units Firmware - ECU/TCU/Command (did this in prep for my upcoming Euro Charged Tune)
  • EuroCharged Stage 1 Tune with and without Burble (I haven't applied it yet but will in the coming days). Also got the MyGenius device. I have my original ECU file saved in DropBox. So far, Eurocharged has picked up the phone every time I have called and have been polite and answered all my questions. Customer service goes a long way with me. Some other tuners have left me waiting on emails, information, invoices, etc... so Eurocharged made sense for me. Plus they have an engine warranty program. Hope I never have to use it.
  • CarPro UK, Cquartz 3.0 Ceramic coating topped with CarPro Gliss 2.0. (this is in progress and i'm doing it myself, hence why I won't post pics yet). All paint correction performed using Griots Garage Boss Creams and Rupees Bigfoot, PC7424XP and Griots Garage 3" polisher using a variety of pads from microfiber cutting pads to foam finishing pads. Detailing is my passion and I'm more than happy to answer questions on this topic.
  • Affalterbach Sticker for Media Knob - Really happy w the look. Check out the pics below.

and here is a list of future plans in order:
  • Rear Door Projector MB Logo Lights - On Order
  • MB Logo Black AMG hood/bonnet emblem to match the roof and center caps on my current OEM wheels
  • Rims. Nothing too crazy. 19" Vossens or similar. I need the tires to have a little meat on the rims due to road conditions in my area during certain times of the year.
  • AMG Exhaust and diffuser

And that will probably be about it. Thanks for reading.

Part Number for Media Control Knob Sticker

Before

and after

This is what the AMG Menus Looks like. I also have it in "A" (Agility) Mode in this picture.

AMG Door Pins

Clear LED Side Markers

AMG Valve Cap

Aftermarket Door Projectors

How did you get the AMG interface on the dash?

Old 04-02-2020, 07:07 AM

07 TL, 05 350z, 08 MDX
Marcopolo, I went to a place in a Toronto Canada called mb house. They do Mercedes programming. Look at bullet
point 8 of my original post and I describe all the things they did. Overall they did a good job w the programming piece. The programming was fairly priced. The google car play module was a disaster and so was their airmatic suspension lowering. I wish I had saved that money - approx $1200-$1500 plus what I had to pay Mercedes to put the suspension back to stock.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:47 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 cls 550
Originally Posted by ntwillie1
Marcopolo, I went to a place in a Toronto Canada called mb house. They do Mercedes programming. Look at bullet
point 8 of my original post and I describe all the things they did. Overall they did a good job w the programming piece. The programming was fairly priced. The google car play module was a disaster and so was their airmatic suspension lowering. I wish I had saved that money - approx $1200-$1500 plus what I had to pay Mercedes to put the suspension back to stock.
what was the issue you had with the uspension?
Old 04-10-2020, 12:08 AM

07 TL, 05 350z, 08 MDX
Jbond - the airmatic lowering left the car considerably lower on one side. Looked silly and was unable to level it. Mbhouse told me all airmatics are lower on one side, it’s just more noticeable after lowering. Would have been nice if they told me before lowering the car.
Old 04-10-2020, 04:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2014 cls 550
thats strange you would think since they are changing the values they would be able to set it at the exact height with the startool