Unlocking CLS 2015 + Multibeam Headlamp System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-07-2020, 03:27 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 CLS550C4 (C218)
Unlocked the CLS 2015-2018 Multibeam Headlamp System

G’Day Gang. I have recently underwent a testing process to unlock the European CLS Multibeam System in a facelift North American CLS. Specifically, my vehicle is in the USA and is a MY2015 CLS550

After providing my VIN to the contact below, Vladimir, He sends a OBD2 port programming module to you where you plug it into your OBD2 port to activate the European lighting system where the multiple LED “Multibeam” System provides a higher output while shading Individual cars not dazzling them with high beams. It’s pretty neat to watch, and really shows its capabilities on backroads!!

see a descriptor for the CLS Multibeam System here:

A nice little write up:
https://mercedesblog.com/die-neue-mu...-scheinwerfer/

contact info for the OBD2 module is below Along with a descriptor for the newer 2nd generation mutibeam System that has 84 individual LEDs which can be found on the current C257 CLS. Note: The 1st generation Multibeam System on the U.S. & Canadian 2015-2018 facelift C218/X218 CLS has 24 individual LEDs.

NOTE: this does not activate the European Daytime Running Light (DRL) Welcoming function where the DRLs will briefly shine blue before changing to white when the car is unlocked.

Cheers!

(Pic from my car last night)

————————————————

Hello

this may be interested to US/CA mb owners who have 213/218/238/257/205/205FL/253/253FL/166/292 MY2016+ cars with SA640+SA608 datacard codes (limited headlamps operation = IHC)

I tested the "true Multibeam = IHC plus" activation at MY2016+ cars with SA640 headlamps and SA608 datacard code
after activation full led 640 headlamps will work exactly as EU/US SA642+628
activation takes about 1 minute and you can revert it back with the same module in 1 minute (and also activate again as many times as you need when you aware of warranty issues)
this is the video how the activation works

this is daimler video of all functions you will get after activation:

tuneOBD box can be mailed no problem, not necessary to go to dealer
when interested then contact me with your car VIN number to my email: canfiltermb@gmail.com

Last edited by wmkizer; 06-08-2020 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Grammar
The following users liked this post:
LILBENZ230 (06-07-2020)
Old 06-08-2020, 02:32 AM

Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts
CLS400 4Matic EC Tuned
Isn't this just turning on the adaptive high beam assist? I was on a road at night without street lights last week and as I turned onto it (no traffic), I immediately saw the multi beam LEDS work their magic by opening up. It's really amazing to see it tbh.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:58 AM

2015 CLS550C4 (C218)
I agree, it is magical to look at however, this unlocking of the Multibeam System, as you can see in the first video, goes so much more beyond the high beam assist function.

Do a search in the forums for “Multibeam” or “ILS”, you can find plenty of discussions as to why the U.S. Department of Transportation has not yet adopted European lighting standards or similar. Hopefully it’ll happen this year, as Canada has already adopted the lighting standard. We’re pretty slow to update here in the U.S. I can’t say if Mexico has, or has not, updated their lighting standards .

but unlocking the capabilities of the Multibeam System to its full effectiveness, is a major difference and benefit to the driver as well as other vehicles on the road! Much more light on the road without blinding other drivers.

Originally Posted by Idklol69
Isn't this just turning on the adaptive high beam assist? I was on a road at night without street lights last week and as I turned onto it (no traffic), I immediately saw the multi beam LEDS work their magic by opening up. It's really amazing to see it tbh.

Last edited by wmkizer; 06-08-2020 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old 06-08-2020, 01:45 PM

CLS400 4Matic EC Tuned
Originally Posted by wmkizer
I agree, it is magical to look at however, this unlocking of the Multibeam System, as you can see in the first video, goes so much more beyond the high beam assist function.

Do a search in the forums for “Multibeam” or “ILS”, you can find plenty of discussions as to why the U.S. Department of Transportation has not yet adopted European lighting standards or similar. Hopefully it’ll happen this year, as Canada has already adopted the lighting standard. We’re pretty slow to update here in the U.S. I can’t say if Mexico has, or has not, updated their lighting standards .

but unlocking the capabilities of the Multibeam System to its full effectiveness, is a major difference and benefit to the driver as well as other vehicles on the road! Much more light on the road without blinding other drivers.
I’m in Canada, how do I know if I have the European version working exactly like the video?
Old 06-08-2020, 02:27 PM

2015 CLS550C4 (C218)
Canada only recently approved the European lighting standard. As to when the Mercedes dealerships start to activate cars, I can’t answer. Rumors are Canada is waiting for the US to do it.

Do your high beams turn off when the car detects other traffic? If yes, then your Multibeam aren’t active yet like in the videos

I’m in Canada, how do I know if I have the European version working exactly like the video?
Old 06-08-2020, 04:38 PM

CLS400 4Matic EC Tuned
Canada only recently approved the European lighting standard. As to when the Mercedes dealerships start to activate cars, I can’t answer. Rumors are Canada is waiting for the US to do it.

Do your high beams turn off when the car detects other traffic? If yes, then your Multibeam aren’t active yet like in the videos
the area that they turned on in last week is a place where there’s 0 traffic especially at night. I would have to test it there again tbh because most of the roads here are so well lit that there’s not really a chance for them to turn on or they’re not turning on because the cameras see other road users.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:49 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 E550 4Matic sold, 2015 CLS 550 sold, 2016 CLS 550
How much? I am in Canada..
Old 06-09-2020, 01:13 AM

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts
2005 SL500, 2015 CLS400
I've experienced the system when I was in Germany and rented a new E400 station wagon. The system is indeed amazing, to say at least. Funny thing is that since I bought the 2015 CLS and been driving it here in US for several months, I've had the high beams actually being on only during 2 occasions. Indeed they do a great job here illuminating the roads. Or at least I've yet to drive on roads that will need that kind of illumination.

Would I like to have that system here on my car? Yes. Will I get to actually use regularly? Probably not. But, just like with any other new feature - feels nice to have it

Regards
Old 06-09-2020, 11:38 AM

2015 CLS550C4 (C218)
If you email Vladimir with your VIN he can give you a quote with options available for your specific vehicle.

I seems the Amazon Option is showing elevated interest.... and price

Last edited by wmkizer; 06-13-2020 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-10-2020, 01:39 PM

2015 CLS550C4 (C218)
the area that they turned on in last week is a place where there’s 0 traffic especially at night. I would have to test it there again tbh because most of the roads here are so well lit that there’s not really a chance for them to turn on or they’re not turning on because the cameras see other road users.

Old 06-13-2020, 09:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 E550 4Matic sold, 2015 CLS 550 sold, 2016 CLS 550
Anyone have any luck getting dealer to do this for free? They tried to sell me on this feature when I bought the car...and of course the salesman didn't know what he was talking about it when I challenged him. Can't be that difficult with the proper programmer...
Old 06-14-2020, 07:40 PM

2005 SL500, 2015 CLS400
Dealers can upgrade the system like that? Didn't know that. Usually they will not do that kind of things that don't come stock on a car or a bulletin from MB itself...
Old 06-21-2020, 01:41 AM

2015 CLS550C4 (C218)
Video from driving tonight.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
My Movie 1.mov (2.29 MB, 129 views)
Old 06-21-2020, 04:12 AM

CLS400 4Matic EC Tuned
Video from driving tonight.
Looks great but not looking to pay around $700 for that. Maybe some people live in areas or drive in areas that are not well lit. There's one place that I kind of drive through that's like that but still not worth the price tbh.
The following users liked this post:
_KO_ (07-23-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 01:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
C230 02, gl320 09, e550 convertible 14
If you email Vladimir with your VIN he can give you a quote with options available for your specific vehicle.

I seems the Amazon Option is showing elevated interest.... and price
what is his email ?
Old 07-15-2020, 06:30 AM

2015 CLS550C4 (C218)
canfiltermb@gmail.com
Old 07-16-2020, 09:07 PM

2015 CLS550C4 (C218)
great descriptor explaining the differences between the multibeam systems

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/inn...urns-into-day/
Old 07-18-2020, 02:18 AM

2005 SL500, 2015 CLS400
Looks great but not looking to pay around $700 for that. Maybe some people live in areas or drive in areas that are not well lit. There's one place that I kind of drive through that's like that but still not worth the price tbh.
+1.

In my opinion high beam are useful at high speeds at night out in the woods. If you drive on highway most of the times it won't even turn on... Obviously this system is more beneficial for some people, but definitely not for the most of us. Overpriced...
Old 08-07-2020, 12:46 AM

2015 CLS550C4 (C218)

2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS Debuts Multibeam LED Headlights

Eric Weinerwriter
Jun 17, 2014

when Mercedes-Benz fully introduces the refreshed 2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class, it will arrive with a new Multibeam LED lighting technology. In addition to the adaptive light systems already in place, the new headlight system uses higher-resolution and higher-precision LED light modules in combination with camera- and navigation-based data to respond to changing road conditions.

The Multibeam LED headlamps are made up of a special light module that contains 24 high-performance LED chips. Because each chip can be controlled independently, the system can adapt in an even more targeted and accurate fashion to changing road conditions. The surrounding environment is monitored using a windshield-mounted camera, which communicates traffic and road conditions to four control systems which calculate the best light pattern 100 times every second.

Camera-based active lighting has also birthed a new bend-illuminating feature on the 2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class. As the camera senses a bend in the road, an additional module in the low-beam headlight (containing four LEDs) can swivel up to twelve degrees to brighten the road ahead in anticipation of the driver turning the steering wheel. As the bend ends, the lights will automatically adjust to the proper forward-facing position.

If that wasn't already freakishly precise enough, the Multibeam LED lighting system can communicate with the on-board navigation for the 2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class. Specifically, the navigation system will recognize when the vehicle is entering a roundabout and activate the bend-illuminating function ahead of the tight turn.

High-beams also gain a dazzle-free function, which limits the adverse brightness to oncoming drivers. The windshield-mounted camera responds to oncoming traffic, so the headlights can automatically and mechanically block out certain light beams. As a result, Mercedes-Benz says that you can leave the high beams on constantly in the 2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class—that means no more flipping back and forth on dark back roads.

In addition, the 2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class appears to get a small aesthetic update, adapting visual lighting cues seen on the smaller CLA-Class. The older, rectangular, bracket-shaped LEDs are dropped in favor of CLA-style units that extend backward from the inner half of the swept-back headlamps. Based on previous spy shots of the 2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class, the new lighting system will likely appear alongside a revised front fascia. The rear fascia could also get a small redesign, as the CLS undergoes a small mid-cycle refresh following a major redesign in 2012.

Underneath the 2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class is expected to carry on with the same 4.6-liter, 402-hp turbo V-6 for the CLS550, as well as the 5.5-liter, 550-hp turbo V-8 in the CLS63 AMG. Check back soon for further details on the next CLS-Class.

Last edited by wmkizer; 08-07-2020 at 12:49 AM.
Old 08-07-2020, 03:14 AM

CLS400 4Matic EC Tuned

2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS Debuts Multibeam LED Headlights

Eric Weinerwriter
Jun 17, 2014

when Mercedes-Benz fully introduces the refreshed 2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class, it will arrive with a new Multibeam LED lighting technology. In addition to the adaptive light systems already in place, the new headlight system uses higher-resolution and higher-precision LED light modules in combination with camera- and navigation-based data to respond to changing road conditions.

The Multibeam LED headlamps are made up of a special light module that contains 24 high-performance LED chips. Because each chip can be controlled independently, the system can adapt in an even more targeted and accurate fashion to changing road conditions. The surrounding environment is monitored using a windshield-mounted camera, which communicates traffic and road conditions to four control systems which calculate the best light pattern 100 times every second.

Camera-based active lighting has also birthed a new bend-illuminating feature on the 2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class. As the camera senses a bend in the road, an additional module in the low-beam headlight (containing four LEDs) can swivel up to twelve degrees to brighten the road ahead in anticipation of the driver turning the steering wheel. As the bend ends, the lights will automatically adjust to the proper forward-facing position.

If that wasn't already freakishly precise enough, the Multibeam LED lighting system can communicate with the on-board navigation for the 2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class. Specifically, the navigation system will recognize when the vehicle is entering a roundabout and activate the bend-illuminating function ahead of the tight turn.

High-beams also gain a dazzle-free function, which limits the adverse brightness to oncoming drivers. The windshield-mounted camera responds to oncoming traffic, so the headlights can automatically and mechanically block out certain light beams. As a result, Mercedes-Benz says that you can leave the high beams on constantly in the 2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class—that means no more flipping back and forth on dark back roads.

In addition, the 2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class appears to get a small aesthetic update, adapting visual lighting cues seen on the smaller CLA-Class. The older, rectangular, bracket-shaped LEDs are dropped in favor of CLA-style units that extend backward from the inner half of the swept-back headlamps. Based on previous spy shots of the 2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class, the new lighting system will likely appear alongside a revised front fascia. The rear fascia could also get a small redesign, as the CLS undergoes a small mid-cycle refresh following a major redesign in 2012.

Underneath the 2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class is expected to carry on with the same 4.6-liter, 402-hp turbo V-6 for the CLS550, as well as the 5.5-liter, 550-hp turbo V-8 in the CLS63 AMG. Check back soon for further details on the next CLS-Class.
So even in a well lit area, independent LEDs will turn on if the system thinks the lighting could be better?