Cutouts after Headers & before Cats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2020, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 CLS 550 4matic
Question Cutouts after Headers & before Cats

Hey everyone, I've been on the hunt for some cutouts for my 2013 W218/C218 CLS 550 4matic (new to me). Although there are many options out there my issue is not finding an option but rather deciding where to place the cutouts themselves on the exhaust system. I would love the sound of straight pipes essentially but also have the option to throw it back to stock exhaust.

1. What are your thoughts/insight on putting them after the headers and before the cats? - regardless of legalities.

2. Would this mess with my Renn Tech Tune on the car? Would it throw codes? Mess with the O2 Sensors etc?

I plan on talking to my local Mercedes mechanic about the possibility/potential of this before going forward with anything, but I was just curious what experiences and knowledge you all could offer.

Thanks so much for your input on this hypothetical.
Old 07-12-2020, 10:17 PM

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts
W218 Stage 2, E85
So a friend of mine has a GL550 and has the cutouts installed after the resonator before the pipes bend outward for the mufflers. Sounds decent, nothing super loud, but not quite either.

My other friend who also has the cutouts, though it's a Dodge Charger, installed the cutouts right after cats, I believe. That sounds like a tractor lol. It does not sound good AT ALL. Also, so much noise come inside the cabin. I got in his car and gave it a few revs, there was so much noise coming inside the cabin because the cutouts were installed right below the front seats and that bothered me right away.

It might be a little different tone for Benz, but I, personally, wouldn't want to install cutouts near the cats.

I recently installed Downpipes (DPs), X pipe, and mufflers - as my current exhaust set-up. The car is quiet after cold start and quiet when you're cruising on the freeway. But it's loud when you rev it and do some pulls. The cutouts might cost around $800-1200, for installation and parts. I'd suggest you look into Stage 2 with DPs. I had a local shop fabricate the DPs, X pipe, and re-installed the mufflers - all that for $750 + the Stage 2 tune. Stage 2 will also give you 40-50hp and 70-80tq.

2. I doubt it will have any impact on the tune because everything is still original as it was, you're just making a hole in the pipes. If you're running Stage 1 tune, you should be fine.

The placement is crucial for the cut-outs. if you strictly want cut-outs, I'd suggest talking to multiple mechanics who do this. One might tell you something better than the other. Also, do the cost-analysis between getting cut-outs vs Stage 2 tune with DPs.

I hope this helps lol. Sometimes I go overboard when explaining.
The following 2 users liked this post by Roop94:
Dblok1113 (07-13-2020), RTechW218 (07-13-2020)
Old 07-13-2020, 09:09 PM

2013 CLS 550 4matic
Thank you for the input and all the helpful information you've provided. Very appreciated.

The car is on a stage 2 tune currently and I can't say anything bad about it so far. But, I think it might be time to upgrade other parts in addition with the upgrade such as the downpipes like you're suggesting. After reading many things about cutouts after the resonator it didn't seem to be my cup of tea. So like youre saying it might be wiser to just look into DP's and other components like you're suggesting. Again thanks for the advice.

Any chance you have any clips of your exhaust setup?

--- I'll repost on this thread within the coming month(s) as to what I end up doing and what seems to be the best course of action in my opinion from my experience then.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:57 PM

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
2014 CLS 550
I just got my 3 inch stainless dps installed Saturday by a fabricator/welder friend of mine charged me 1000 for everything, I’m waiting for the rest of the steel to come in so I can run 3 inch all the way to muffler. I absolutely love my setup and sound and everything, going to have the stage 2 tune loaded and spark plugs put in tomorrow hopefully. I had just a res delete and it sounded good but it’s night and day plus the added power the downpipes give you makes it the best thing I’ve done so far. The stock downpipes are super restrictive. I think you will be super happy by adding dps
Old 07-15-2020, 01:17 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
C230 02, gl320 09, e550 convertible 14
Originally Posted by Dblok1113
I just got my 3 inch stainless dps installed Saturday by a fabricator/welder friend of mine charged me 1000 for everything, I’m waiting for the rest of the steel to come in so I can run 3 inch all the way to muffler. I absolutely love my setup and sound and everything, going to have the stage 2 tune loaded and spark plugs put in tomorrow hopefully. I had just a res delete and it sounded good but it’s night and day plus the added power the downpipes give you makes it the best thing I’ve done so far. The stock downpipes are super restrictive. I think you will be super happy by adding dps
Doesnt that make the car smells like fuel ?
Old 07-15-2020, 06:33 AM

2014 CLS 550
It actually doesn’t smell bad but once again i got finished on Saturday so I guess I’ll drive around more and see. I thought that was going to happen because everyone says it smells bad. But I don’t notice it at all,🤷‍♂️ All I can say is I’m so so happy that I added them, the car breathes so much better and the response is just awesome. My .02
Old 07-15-2020, 07:19 PM

W218 Stage 2, E85
@RTechW218 Wait, you said you are on Stage 2, but still have stock downpipes on? To my understanding and everywhere else I've seen, Stage 2 is with cat-less downpipes. You can't do Stage 2 unless you remove the cats else it will fry them up. Unless you have another mod with which you're running a different stage? I'm kind of confused here.

Just like @Dblok1113 said, it cost him $1,000 for the exhaust + Stage 2 tune. The cut-outs will end up costing you near $1,000 as well. Plus, it is always an unknown risk whether your car will end up sounding good or like a tractor, like my other friend lol. I don't know if he got his cut-outs fixed or not. Aforementioned, the cat-less downpipes will give you additional power and torque. I felt the difference right away when I pulled out of the shop with downpipes.

I have not taken any videos yet. I'm waiting for @Dblok1113 to finish his exhaust and get his feedback to figure out if I want to remove the mufflers again.

The gas smell is there, but it doesn't come inside the cabin. Only if you have the windows open and you come to a stop, anywhere. For me, the smell is not that much, so it does not bother me at all. For some, it might smell more or less, due to the tune, I guess. But for me, the smell has been very minimal.

The following users liked this post:
RTechW218 (07-16-2020)

Trending Topics

Old 07-15-2020, 08:18 PM

2014 CLS 550
Originally Posted by Roop94
@RTechW218 Wait, you said you are on Stage 2, but still have stock downpipes on? To my understanding and everywhere else I've seen, Stage 2 is with cat-less downpipes. You can't do Stage 2 unless you remove the cats else it will fry them up. Unless you have another mod with which you're running a different stage? I'm kind of confused here.

Just like @Dblok1113 said, it cost him $1,000 for the exhaust + Stage 2 tune. The cut-outs will end up costing you near $1,000 as well. Plus, it is always an unknown risk whether your car will end up sounding good or like a tractor, like my other friend lol. I don't know if he got his cut-outs fixed or not. Aforementioned, the cat-less downpipes will give you additional power and torque. I felt the difference right away when I pulled out of the shop with downpipes.

I have not taken any videos yet. I'm waiting for @Dblok1113 to finish his exhaust and get his feedback to figure out if I want to remove the mufflers again.

The gas smell is there, but it doesn't come inside the cabin. Only if you have the windows open and you come to a stop, anywhere. For me, the smell is not that much, so it does not bother me at all. For some, it might smell more or less, due to the tune, I guess. But for me, the smell has been very minimal.
i was going to say the same thing but he says he has rt and I don’t know what they have going on but I’m a tell you this setup I have now is loud with 3 inch downpipe and mufflers so I’d say keep them on but all I have to say is WOW The Weistec stage 2 with the downpipes have woken this thing up. I absolutely love the sound I’m going to finish the exhaust with 3 inch to the mufflers to make it nice and neat but no need to take mufflers off imo I’ll have a video soon.
RTechW218 (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 11:54 AM

2013 CLS 550 4matic
@Roop94 @Dblok1113 To my understanding there are two tunes from Renn Tech for the CLS, the tune itself was put on the car in Summer of 2017 by the previous owner (who I have known for years). The car is new to me though, I will have to double check on which Tune it is running with my local dealer when I take it in. Could be mistaken, but I am 99% positive its running the 540HP w 705TQ to the CRANK, as for the numbers to the wheels its 464WHP & 606WTQ. Furthermore, the tune doesn't require downpipes with it it seems from the website page, although it may help, the previous owner just has a tune on the car and nothing else...to my understanding.

Or I'm using the terminology of a stage 2 C218/W218 incorrectly... If so would love someone to correct me on this so I don't make the same mistake twice.

But when I said Stage 2 I was referring to just the ECU Upgrade as it is the higher performance than the other tune that RT offers.

Here is the link to the tune that the car is running:

https://www.renntechmercedes.com/ind...-cls550-detail

Here is the link to the lower performance tune on RT website:

https://www.renntechmercedes.com/ind...550-pfl-detail

Again if I'm mistaken on the terminology or something let me know! I'm a newbie on this forum so...

Last edited by RTechW218; 07-16-2020 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:24 PM

2014 CLS 550
I’m new as well, I just know that the “stage 2” File Weistec is a file for this car with a downpipe/sport exhaust equipped and as far as the numbers from what I’ve seen you have to get it dyno to get accurate numbers. Have you had a chance to do that yet ? I’m going to try and go my first time here this weekend or next weekend I’ll post results when I get there but add downpipes for sure to get if that’s what you are seeking more performance and an aggressive sound.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:45 PM

2013 CLS 550 4matic
Understood. I have not had a chance to dyno yet but definitely planning on doing so before winter hits. Those are just the numbers that RT reported according to the website, as to whether they are entirely accurate or not we won't know until I get strapped onto a dyno. But back to the main topic of this thread, I definitely think that cat-less downpipes are the way to go for now and if I'm not happy with the sound after that then I can look into a resonator delete.

Looking forward to hearing how your dyno session goes! Please fill us in when you get that done! Thanks for the insight @Dblok1113
Dblok1113 (07-17-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 01:55 PM

2014 CLS 550
I did the res delete first and was really happy but when I added the downpipes all new ball game and what state are enough in ? I think you gotta check that before getting the downpipes, you might need to get cats on them Someone correct me if I’m wrong. I’m from jersey originally and now I’m in Florida but there’s no way my car would pass inspection in New Jersey lol so glad I left that place lol
Old 07-16-2020, 01:55 PM

W218 Stage 2, E85
Originally Posted by RTechW218
@Roop94 @Dblok1113 To my understanding there are two tunes from Renn Tech for the CLS, the tune itself was put on the car in Summer of 2017 by the previous owner (who I have known for years). The car is new to me though, I will have to double check on which Tune it is running with my local dealer when I take it in. Could be mistaken, but I am 99% positive its running the 540HP w 705TQ to the CRANK, as for the numbers to the wheels its 464WHP & 606WTQ. Furthermore, the tune doesn't require downpipes with it it seems from the website page, although it may help, the previous owner just has a tune on the car and nothing else...to my understanding.

Or I'm using the terminology of a stage 2 C218/W218 incorrectly... If so would love someone to correct me on this so I don't make the same mistake twice.

But when I said Stage 2 I was referring to just the ECU Upgrade as it is the higher performance than the other tune that RT offers.

Here is the link to the tune that the car is running:

https://www.renntechmercedes.com/ind...-cls550-detail

Here is the link to the lower performance tune on RT website:

https://www.renntechmercedes.com/ind...550-pfl-detail

Again if I'm mistaken on the terminology or something let me know! I'm a newbie on this forum so...
Ahhh, I see. I think RT does it a little different and provides a variety of products for the tune. But, universally, Stage 2 is compiled with cat-less down-pipes, RT may have their wordings and products. I found that a little confusing when I was first looking for a tune. Like one tune offers 480hp for the same price as the other one offered 540hp. I couldn't wrap my head around it. So I went with EuroCharged.

I’m new as well, I just know that the “stage 2” File Weistec is a file for this car with a downpipe/sport exhaust equipped and as far as the numbers from what I’ve seen you have to get it dyno to get accurate numbers. Have you had a chance to do that yet ? I’m going to try and go my first time here this weekend or next weekend I’ll post results when I get there but add downpipes for sure to get if that’s what you are seeking more performance and an aggressive sound.
Now, I kind of regret not doing the 3 inch exhaust lol. It completely left my mind when I was shopping around to get my exhaust fabricated. The 3 inch will definitely have a louder and deeper growl sound to it than 2.5 inch pipes. But my only complaint is that I can't or don't have the refined pops on mine and it's not super loud when I'm doing WOT at high RPMs. Which is why I was thinking if I should remove the mufflers lol. I will wait a few months and see if I want to do that or try out that set-up.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:11 PM

2014 CLS 550
How do Ioad a video ? Do I have to make a YouTube video and add the link ? But it’s def louder I know some merc owners would not like what I did, they might think it doesn’t sound good, but I love it lol
mine pops and stuff and I didn’t add the burble tune because I read some negative things about it so I decided not to but it pops on its own when downshifting a little. Back to subject the downpipes with a res delete is my setup and I freaking love it

Last edited by Dblok1113; 07-16-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
C230 02, gl320 09, e550 convertible 14
How do Ioad a video ? Do I have to make a YouTube video and add the link ? But it’s def louder I know some merc owners would not like what I did, they might think it doesn’t sound good, but I love it lol
what exactly did u do ?
Old 07-16-2020, 03:00 PM

W218 Stage 2, E85
mine pops and stuff and I didn’t add the burble tune because I read some negative things about it so I decided not to but it pops on its own when downshifting a little. Back to subject the downpipes with a res delete is my setup and I freaking love it
I am not sure, but you MIGHT have to upload it on YouTube and provide the link. Or Google Drive, but that's a little complicated. Posting video is not as easy as posting a picture. Don't matter if someone likes it or not as long as you enjoy it. After all, it's your car at the end of the day. Just don't rice it out lol
Dblok1113 (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 01:23 AM

2014 CLS 550

It’s still a work In Progress but I’m getting there, had some unexpected things happen at the house that need immediate attention so the rest of the exhaust is still a going to be a few weeks before finished , but I want someone to drive it and I record it and hear it from the outside, still thinking of throwing cross pipe on there to clean up sound, haven’t had much of a chance to play with it due to the situation at home but downpipe is the way to go !

Last edited by Dblok1113; 07-17-2020 at 01:37 AM.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:02 AM

W218 Stage 2, E85
That sounds a bit choppy lol. Or is that only in the video? That pull sounds pretty dope. I like how it gets super loud on upshifts when doing hard pulls. It like roars for a quick second lol. It's even louder of the people that are behind the car. I do that especially when I'm cruising right next to a semi or to the freeway wall...I can hear the exhaust better haha.

Have fun with it
Dblok1113 (07-17-2020)
Old 07-17-2020, 02:06 AM

2014 CLS 550
That sounds a bit choppy lol. Or is that only in the video? That pull sounds pretty dope. I like how it gets super loud on upshifts when doing hard pulls. It like roars for a quick second lol. It's even louder of the people that are behind the car. I do that especially when I'm cruising right next to a semi or to the freeway wall...I can hear the exhaust better haha.

Have fun with it
yeah I think it needs to be cleaned up a bit myself but the video isn’t that good either. I am enjoying this tune and the downpipes also excited to get the dyno done I have both files so I’ll be able to switch back and forth and see the difference from the stock file w h downpipes to the stage 2 tune

gotta drive by today

Not the best videos but I wanted to here it from outside can’t wait to complete exhaust though hopefully this helps

Last edited by Dblok1113; 07-17-2020 at 07:53 PM.
RTechW218 (07-18-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 01:36 AM

W218 Stage 2, E85
I bet it sounds much better in person. Sometimes when I'm driving and have the windows closed up, I feel like the exhaust doesn't do justice. But then I open the windows...it tells a different story. Good things can sound bad and bad things can sound good on the video. Take it through a tunnel with a GoPro camera on the rear bumper lol that's on my list right now...but the tunnels are a bit far from here, so I shall wait till things get better to travel. I'm not going to drive 50 miles just for a tunnel video lol