CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Dealer says no CLS's are wired for iPods

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 04:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2008 Bentley GTC, Porsche GT2/EVOMS GT700, 1968 Dodge Charger Hemi
Dealer says no CLS's are wired for iPods

I just got off the phone w/ my dealer and they told me that my CLS is not "pre-wired" for the iPod kit...WTF? He said they called MBUSA and that they told the shop forman that no CLS's are prewired for iPod only the new M and C classes.

He said that installing it would take them 10hrs or so to retro-fit my car which included removing seats, carpet, dash panels, etc.

Needlees to say I'm pissed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 09-07-2005, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by RennTechV12
I just got off the phone w/ my dealer and they told me that my CLS is not "pre-wired" for the iPod kit...WTF? He said they called MBUSA and that they told the shop forman that no CLS's are prewired for iPod only the new M and C classes.

He said that installing it would take them 10hrs or so to retro-fit my car which included removing seats, carpet, dash panels, etc.

Needlees to say I'm pissed.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
As it is merely a kit sold to dealers and phone installers to offer to MErcedes owners then it would seem to be against the grain for the CLS to be made the exception given that it is now becoming freely available for the E-Class (which is the grandfather of the CLS).

The dealer is offering the wrong advice for reasons unknown.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My dealership told me they spent 9 hours on installation. They read me the shop ticket about how much work had to be done including removing the seats, nav. system etc. They also advised that the CLS was not prewired. However check Mercedes web site. It indicates that installation should take between 1 and 3 hours. Dealership tried the "well that is if it is prewired and comes from the factory that way" but that is not stated on web site and does not make sense since web site talks about general installation times.

I raised so much Sh** with them that they cut the labor costs in half. Hope this helps.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:11 AM
Almost a Member!

2005 CLS350 (lemon)
They are prewired however they require a different kit than the other models which has just become available in sydney this week. Its a one hour install.
Old 09-08-2005, 03:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by Rcoxjd1
My dealership told me they spent 9 hours on installation. They read me the shop ticket about how much work had to be done including removing the seats, nav. system etc. They also advised that the CLS was not prewired. However check Mercedes web site. It indicates that installation should take between 1 and 3 hours. Dealership tried the "well that is if it is prewired and comes from the factory that way" but that is not stated on web site and does not make sense since web site talks about general installation times.

I raised so much Sh** with them that they cut the labor costs in half. Hope this helps.
Prewired for what precisely ? There are 3 pieces in total. The main control unit, the iPOD cable f(rom the control unit) and the junction cable (that plugs into the head unit and the control unit).

Clearly that requires the car to be stripped down to the metal and the engine removed. Its a misconception derived from a lack of interest.

Sure you CAN do all those things ..... but do they NEED to be done.
Old 09-08-2005, 07:30 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by SydBenz
They are prewired however they require a different kit than the other models which has just become available in sydney this week. Its a one hour install.
NO WAY - none of the CLSes (or any of the other models) are PREWIRED for the Ipod kit.

As the term KIT already indicates - the Ipod KIT comes as a KIT - complete with all WIRING needed for the install...and that WIRING is:
1) EASY to install
2) NOT in need of stripping the car down other then some dashpanels and Apillar kickpanels

Nevertheless I must say that who ever engineered these Ipod kits should be fired on the spot...never have I seen a model specific retrofit kit that is sooo freaking impossible to install according to the installation manual as the original mercedes W203 kit (and thus the kit for all other cars with a similar becker comand or alpine MCS II).

greetingz,
Old 09-09-2005, 02:27 PM

CLS-500, SL-500, BOXSTER-S
Fletcher-Jones in Hawaii wants $300 for the kit, $350 for the install plus quoted me another $100 (maybe) for misc parts....OUCH

I am thinking of doing this myself. Can anyone post a copy of the installation manual, or give step by step directions involved in installation.

Thanks in advance...
Old 09-09-2005, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by Big Kahuna
Fletcher-Jones in Hawaii wants $300 for the kit, $350 for the install plus quoted me another $100 (maybe) for misc parts....OUCH

I am thinking of doing this myself. Can anyone post a copy of the installation manual, or give step by step directions involved in installation.

Thanks in advance...
Since you are buying the kit anyway then wont the instructions be inside ?
Old 09-09-2005, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by benzmodz
Since you are buying the kit anyway then wont the instructions be inside ?
I want to see how difficult it will be to do myself before I purchase anything.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:25 PM

Airbus
Just got back from the 1st checkup this morning. No problems. While there asked about the iPod kit. was quoted a price of $400 and change plus 1-3 hrs labor.
Mentioned about it taking 9-10 hrs and he agreed saying it was a PITA and that was what it was taking at the beginning of the "learning process" They wouldn't charge under any circumstances more than 3hrs time. For the time being I'm going the manual route.
Old 09-10-2005, 08:19 PM

2007 ML 320CDI
they are charging you extra for parts though. The Ipod kit costs $299.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:54 AM

Airbus
What are the extra parts they are charging an extra $100 for?
Speaking of iPods, the new Nano w/flash memory sure looks great.
Old 09-11-2005, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by aniantchev
they are charging you extra for parts though. The Ipod kit costs $299.
according to my svc rep, they have not done an ipod kit on a cls, so he is adding that as a pad for unexpected stuff.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by MDCLS
Just got back from the 1st checkup this morning. No problems. While there asked about the iPod kit. was quoted a price of $400 and change plus 1-3 hrs labor.
Mentioned about it taking 9-10 hrs and he agreed saying it was a PITA and that was what it was taking at the beginning of the "learning process" They wouldn't charge under any circumstances more than 3hrs time. For the time being I'm going the manual route.
It seems like some kind of scam based on people not knowing more about the install. Does someone have a photo so that I may compare the CLS kit to the existing kit photos for other cars seen in cyberspace.
Old 09-11-2005, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Originally Posted by Big Kahuna
I want to see how difficult it will be to do myself before I purchase anything.
It will cost the same in parts whether you do it yourself or if someone else does it. It wont be long now before someone does a photo summary of the whole install and blows this 9-hour myth to pieces.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:13 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by benzmodz
It seems like some kind of scam based on people not knowing more about the install. Does someone have a photo so that I may compare the CLS kit to the existing kit photos for other cars seen in cyberspace.
219 kit parts equal 211 kit parts

MISCELANIOUS parts are all included in the Ipod kit - I know F&J is way too expensive when it comes to parts - but adding 100USD for something that is not needed?!?!?!

greetingz,
Old 10-02-2005, 09:47 PM

Just Had iPod Installed

Had MB install new iPod integration kit. It took 4 days (I kid you not) however they only charged me 3 hours labor. Cost of kit was $299. Dealer said that installation is not as easy as MB corporate states, and that a lot of work is involved. He also admitted that this was their first install so they don't expect as much difficulty in the future. So far, everything works great and I consider it a great investment.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W203 slightly modified
Its not as quick as in the W203 but I dont see anything like 4 hours work in it. I notice that the iPOD kit comes complete with all the wiring that is required and that the seats dont need to be removed.

Interesting how some of these dealers go about the task of installing these iPODS.

The complete document can be purchased from

http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/