CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

A glorified oil change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2006, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 ML 320CDI
A glorified oil change

Today I dropped off my car for service B. I was stunned to find out that this service costs $260 but nevertheless left the car at the dealership. I later got "buyer's remorse" and after talking to my service supervisor, and after interrogating him, I came to realize I just bought the most overpriced oil change in the world. Needless to say, I heard all the shennanigans about how expensive the oil is, how I am getting a new air filter, and new wiper blade inserts....oh, and by the way, tire pressure checked as well
We all drive expensive cars but we can't be that stupid after all. There must be a smarter way to change the oil and reset the service light. I had a reset tool for my previous car (BMW) but I am not sure if they make one for Mercedes. This is not an easy one...
Old 02-02-2006, 07:49 PM

06 CLS500 + 99 ML320
Originally Posted by aniantchev
Today I dropped off my car for service B. I was stunned to find out that this service costs $260 but nevertheless left the car at the dealership. I later got "buyer's remorse" and after talking to my service supervisor, and after interrogating him, I came to realize I just bought the most overpriced oil change in the world. Needless to say, I heard all the shennanigans about how expensive the oil is, how I am getting a new air filter, and new wiper blade inserts....oh, and by the way, tire pressure checked as well
We all drive expensive cars but we can't be that stupid after all. There must be a smarter way to change the oil and reset the service light. I had a reset tool for my previous car (BMW) but I am not sure if they make one for Mercedes. This is not an easy one...
Let's assume it is 13 quarts of $13 oil = $169 and the dealership charge you $100 for the job plus all those recycle fee... It sounds ok here BUT don't get me wrong $269 for the oil change is VERY expensive. How many miles on your car now?
Old 02-02-2006, 08:06 PM

2007 ML 320CDI
I have some 24,000 kilometers and I believe the engine holds around 8 quarts. Even at the inflated price of $9/qt this comes up to about $72, a more reasonable number.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lexus
You can reset it yourself, just scroll through the menu on your dash cluster and go to service b or a due in xxx miles and hold reset..

Go to Walmart get mobile one for 18bucks for 5 QT jug, buy 3(54) MB filter($12) let any mechanic do it($30 max)

Total cost $96 bucks..

It may be cheaper, but if you have warranty issues with sludge or engine problem they could deny your claim with no proof of recommended service (i.e. saying you didn't change oil). Probably better to pay the extra $150, considering possible warranty problems and also resale value can be improved greatly with MB documented service. I guess its just part of owning a MB unfortunately, same with a 5 star Hotel, I hate to pay $5-$9 for a $1.50 bottled water but sometimes its more of a pain to be cheap.

One more thing, try another dealer, prices vary greatly.
Scott
Old 02-02-2006, 11:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by aniantchev
There must be a smarter way to change the oil and reset the service light.
Find a recommended certified independent in your area. Documentation will cover any future warranty concerns.

http://www.cartalk.com (enter zip, upper lefthand link)
Old 02-02-2006, 11:12 PM

06 CLS
i feel your pain

Installed a 2 sets of Philips HIDs, 1 for the headlights and 1 set for the fog light location. Wouldn't work as the computer thought the bulbs were bad as the current draw is much less than the stock incandescent bulbs. I thought the dealer could simply "re-program" the on-board computer. WRONG. After adding 2 controllers and "reprogramming", I was out $1,100. To make matters worse, they could only do the headlights. So, I returned to the shop that did the HID install, and they made my foglights work for $80. However, I still get the "error" message for the fogs. As the saying goes....IF YOU WANNA PLAY, YOU GOTTA PAY.
Old 02-03-2006, 02:17 PM

2007 ML 320CDI
I spoke to MBUSA today and the lady I talked to was kind enough to assure me that although MBUSA recommends the service at authorized dealers, one does not have to go to them for oil change. This will not void the warranty,contrary to what my dealer told me. Also, one can reset the counter manually through the menus. I also found out that Mobil1 0-W40 is available for $5.50/qt. at Autozone, which is significantly less than the $9/qt. price at the dealership. Finally, I checked around on price quotes for service B and one dealer charges whopping $399 for the service...my dealer actually came with the lowest price of $260 in the whole mid Florida complex.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lexus
Take a picture of yourself doing each oil change yourself, great documentation!

13 mm wrench, 8mm nut driver and strong grip to get the filter unscrewed. DIY.

I think someone here did a more in detail post on "How to change Oil" Do a search if you are interested.

Good try, to bad the price varied in the wrong direction.. $260 vs $399.

Last edited by ScottCLS55; 02-03-2006 at 08:01 PM.