CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

2007 CLS 550 vs. 2008 CLS 550 Differences?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 CLS 550
Red face 2007 CLS 550 vs. 2008 CLS 550 Differences?

Hey guys, I have just agreed to buy a CPO 2007 CLS 550 in Arctic White/Cashmere with AMG wheels and AMG sportline package, parktronic. Car has 37K miles. The price dealer was asking was $48K - I'm doing a trade in worth 20K,
I knocked it down to only 45K.

Am I getting a good deal? Car comes from the factory with the PP2 Package, with AMG sportline and AMG 5 spoke rims, new tires, new brake rotors, Big service. Also has paddle shifters. The dealer did not clean it, etc. claiming that the work is done after car is agreed to be bought, etc. I still have a way out if I don't like what I see when car comes back from detailing, etc.

Did I get a decent deal? Thing is, I had to buy this Arctic white color, because this is the color my wife wanted, I bought the car for her. Is there a difference between the 2007 and 2008 model?

Is it worth it to pay the extra $7K-$8K for a 2008 over the 2007? I hope I"m not making a mistake?
Old 01-18-2010, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
The big difference happened in 2009. Only minor changes from 07 to 08. In 08 the AMG package had a different style 5 spoke wheel and it was available in the Diamond white edition.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:17 AM

2007 CLS 550
Will the 2009 grill fit on a 2007 CLS 550? Is it a bolt on? I think the 2009 has a new grill and the rear tail lights have LED's correct? I have the arctic white color, with AMG sportline and rims.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:26 PM

Yes the grill will. The lights are not plug and play. Rewiring is needed. There was someone on ebay selling them with the wire work done to them..so all you would have to do is plug and play. The thread was in the AMG CLS section.
Originally Posted by Maserati GTS
Will the 2009 grill fit on a 2007 CLS 550? Is it a bolt on? I think the 2009 has a new grill and the rear tail lights have LED's correct? I have the arctic white color, with AMG sportline and rims.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a toy
2007 has rear ambient lighting like the front, 2008 has a stupid plastic cover instead.
Old 01-19-2010, 02:44 PM

a toy
Arrow

Hey guys, I have just agreed to buy a CPO 2007 CLS 550 in Arctic White/Cashmere with AMG wheels and AMG sportline package, parktronic. Car has 37K miles. The price dealer was asking was $48K - I'm doing a trade in worth 20K,
I knocked it down to only 45K.

Am I getting a good deal? Car comes from the factory with the PP2 Package, with AMG sportline and AMG 5 spoke rims, new tires, new brake rotors, Big service. Also has paddle shifters. The dealer did not clean it, etc. claiming that the work is done after car is agreed to be bought, etc. I still have a way out if I don't like what I see when car comes back from detailing, etc.

Did I get a decent deal? Thing is, I had to buy this Arctic white color, because this is the color my wife wanted, I bought the car for her. Is there a difference between the 2007 and 2008 model?

Is it worth it to pay the extra $7K-$8K for a 2008 over the 2007? I hope I"m not making a mistake?
Get a extended warranty and try to work it into the deal. Don't bother paying more for an 08, it's the same car.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:05 PM

2007 CLS 550
Thanks for the advice pal. I think I'm gonna go with the extended warranty, I got offered it for $2200 for an additional 24 months after my 20 months worth of warranty runs out.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:05 PM

2007 CLS 550
Originally Posted by Roupin
2007 has rear ambient lighting like the front, 2008 has a stupid plastic cover instead.
So the 2008 has a different rear tail light? Or is this regarding the interior?
Old 01-19-2010, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Roupin, my 2008 CLS had rear ambient lighting. It was a 07/07 build date.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:58 AM

The 09 model is where subtle changes occured(e.g. rear tail lights, mirrors, etc.)

Old 01-20-2010, 09:14 PM

2007 CLS 550
So I guess I'm okay with the 2007. Its build date is June of 2006. I bought this car for my wife, I was wondering what's the most "suttle" upgrade I can do, chip wise? I don't want to really touch anything with the car, since I have the AMG sportline, I think its good. It says AMG on the exhaust tip, although I don't know if the exhaust is different from stock, it looks the same to me. She agreed to let me put a Brabus spoiler on the rear, and I picked up an AMG black grill for the front (I'm just gonna put it on, and see if she notices). Last thing I want to do is put a power chip in, but is there anything out there that doesn't need to be re-flashed? I'll be bringing my car into the dealer for service, it would be a total pain to have to send it out everytime, or worse have the dealer try to void my warranty (even though we all know they have to prove it caused a problem) - Any suggestions guys? Thanks for the advice in advance!
Old 01-21-2010, 06:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2007 CLS550
I have a 2007 and love it. There's no significant difference in the 2008 vs. 2007, so you're not missing anything with the '07. I recommend against a performance chip. As you point out there are warranty issues and the possible need to re-flash. I don't think they add much horsepower anyway, and some require an octane booster or racing fuel. You said you bought the car for your wife. Unless she's some kind of Nascar driver, she'll never notice the horsepower difference. You already have 382 ponies. More important than horsepower, be sure you use the Sport (S) transmission setting. The Comfort (C) setting starts in second gear. Obviously using first gear is very important for performance starts. But most women prefer the Comfort setting and frankly that's what I use most of the time. You'll also want to use the Sport suspension setting for tighter handling, but again the Comfort setting is best for general use. And let us know if your wife notices the grille change. I doubt she'll notice. But the grille change is a great idea. I put the AMG 3-bar grille on mine and am very happy.

The Brabus 3-piece trunk lip spoiler is a great add. I put one on mine and love the look. Get one that's pre-painted. It's easy to install. Your AMG sport exhaust is the same as the stock one except for the tips. Only other thing I would suggest is chroming the wheels, but that's a personal choice and the AMG wheels look great with or without.

Hope your wife enjoys her ride and you get to drive it once in a while. Great choice.

Last edited by Art-by-Art; 01-21-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 06:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
The 2009 grille will NOT FIT. Do a search for my old thread. The top of the grille will bolt in perfectly but the bottom are different modification specs. I had no freakin idea why they did that. I did purchased a 2 fins 2009 and recently sold it to another member who had an 09. erifly is incorrect about the grille.

Last edited by apdesign; 01-22-2010 at 06:11 PM. Reason: add image
Old 01-23-2010, 12:13 AM

2007 CLS 550
Originally Posted by Art-by-Art
I have a 2007 and love it. There's no significant difference in the 2008 vs. 2007, so you're not missing anything with the '07. I recommend against a performance chip. As you point out there are warranty issues and the possible need to re-flash. I don't think they add much horsepower anyway, and some require an octane booster or racing fuel. You said you bought the car for your wife. Unless she's some kind of Nascar driver, she'll never notice the horsepower difference. You already have 382 ponies. More important than horsepower, be sure you use the Sport (S) transmission setting. The Comfort (C) setting starts in second gear. Obviously using first gear is very important for performance starts. But most women prefer the Comfort setting and frankly that's what I use most of the time. You'll also want to use the Sport suspension setting for tighter handling, but again the Comfort setting is best for general use. And let us know if your wife notices the grille change. I doubt she'll notice. But the grille change is a great idea. I put the AMG 3-bar grille on mine and am very happy.

The Brabus 3-piece trunk lip spoiler is a great add. I put one on mine and love the look. Get one that's pre-painted. It's easy to install. Your AMG sport exhaust is the same as the stock one except for the tips. Only other thing I would suggest is chroming the wheels, but that's a personal choice and the AMG wheels look great with or without.

Hope your wife enjoys her ride and you get to drive it once in a while. Great choice.
Hey Art, thank you for the advice! Yeah, now that I think about it, its a waste of money to add the chip, its not enough of a performance upgrade to be worth it, and wit 382 ponies, its more than enough to kick *** on the highway if I needed to. I have a quattroporte that has a drive by wire module and an ecm chip and exhaust and I'm pushing 450 HP at least, but its a much heavier car. This is just fine for my wife. Yeah, I just got the grill and I'll put it on, I will let you guys know if she notices haha I think its a great idea too, but I don't think she will unless sh'es side by side with a stock CLS.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:17 AM

2007 CLS 550
Originally Posted by apdesign
The 2009 grille will NOT FIT. Do a search for my old thread. The top of the grille will bolt in perfectly but the bottom are different modification specs. I had no freakin idea why they did that. I did purchased a 2 fins 2009 and recently sold it to another member who had an 09. erifly is incorrect about the grille.

Thanks AP! I was considering this, but after seeing your car, I actually bought the same single fin grill, AMG black style from germany. I thought it looked amazing on your car. I also ordered the painted brabus spoiler as well. I have the Arctic white/cashmere color. I think the CLS is one of the sexiest cars on the road for sure, and in black or white the colors totally crush anything else on the road. Totally sexy, totally unique. I love the body style, its a pleasure to look at from any angle. I will post pics once I get the grill changed, and spoiler put on. But AP- is it a straightforward bolt on design? Any tips or anything I should look out for? Please let me know. Thanks guys!
Old 01-23-2010, 01:04 AM

2007 CLS550
The grille is fairly easy to install, but there are a few tricks. The grille is held in place with 3 bolts on the top and three tabs on the bottom. No problem with the 3 bolts. Just remove them and reuse them for the new one. The tabs are part of the bumper cover material. They are horizontal, pointing to the back of the car and are about 5/8" wide by 3/4" long with a raised lip on the top side on the back end. Start with one of the end tabs. Take a large screwdriver (or something like that) and press down on the top of the back end of the tab where the lip is and gently push on the lower part of the grille in front of the tab towards the back of the car. It should pop out pretty easily. Repeat for the middle and other end tab. Tilt the top of the grille towards the front of the car and it should roll out. While the grille is out, take some car polish and polish out the water spots on the top of the bumper that was covered by the grille and then wax it. You'll never be able to get back into this area again.

Installation is easier. Just roll the grille into place. Snap in each of the lower tabs working from one side to the other and replace the 3 bolts in the top. Put the 3 bolts in loosely at first to be sure it will fit and then tighten them. Then admire your work.

The 1-Bar Grilles usually come with the MB Star already attached. Which is good. I got the 3-Bar Grille and had to use my original Star, which was a bit of a chore. If your star is not included, let me know and I have some tips on how to reuse the old Star.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:03 AM

2007 CLS 550
Thanks Art, will do! Actually my kit is from Germany (thank god) and it comes with an OEM new star. I figure I'll hold on to the OEM for a sale or whatever in the future. I was thinking of getting the clear corner lights, any experience with these? These are legal right? And where can I get some OEM clear ones? I try to stay away from aftermarket electrical parts usually. I saw some online for $129- was wondering if this is a good price or if someone can recommend which ones to get? Thanks.
Old 01-23-2010, 01:05 PM

2007 CLS550
The only clear corner lights I know of for the CLS are from Stealth Auto (http://www.stealthauto.com/Products/...-SM-C-CLR.aspx )for $70. You might also want to get the Stealth Bulbs from them. They have a thin metallic coating so they look like chrome (or the same as the reflector) when not illuminated, but are amber when illuminated. If you use an amber bulb, you will see the color through the clear lens. Not sure how a clear bulb would look. I'm not sure if the bulbs are included when you buy the lenses, so I'd call and check. You can also save 10% by signing up for their Preferred Members deal at the bottom of the web page. The clear side markers should look very good on your white CLS.
Attached Thumbnails 2007 CLS 550 vs. 2008 CLS 550 Differences?-stealth-coner-lights-cls.jpg  

Last edited by Art-by-Art; 01-23-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:27 AM

a toy
Just the interior.

Originally Posted by Kar don
Roupin, my 2008 CLS had rear ambient lighting. It was a 07/07 build date.
Damn. Mine is an 01/08 build date.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:13 AM

2007 CLS 550
Originally Posted by Art-by-Art
The only clear corner lights I know of for the CLS are from Stealth Auto (http://www.stealthauto.com/Products/...-SM-C-CLR.aspx )for $70. You might also want to get the Stealth Bulbs from them. They have a thin metallic coating so they look like chrome (or the same as the reflector) when not illuminated, but are amber when illuminated. If you use an amber bulb, you will see the color through the clear lens. Not sure how a clear bulb would look. I'm not sure if the bulbs are included when you buy the lenses, so I'd call and check. You can also save 10% by signing up for their Preferred Members deal at the bottom of the web page. The clear side markers should look very good on your white CLS.
Hey Art, thanks so much for the link! I just placed an order, and I'll post pics once I get it installed. You're right, I went with the chrome bulbs that light up amber yellow when on. I guess thats all I'll need lighting wise thanks for the advice pal.