CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

500-1.5k to spend..best peformance upgrade?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 03:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
500-1.5k to spend..best peformance upgrade?

Any suggestions? Trying to add more torque and horsepower..orrr get more from what I already have(Not interested in decreasing unsprung weight for now tho). From what I read an ECU tune wouldn't be worth it for my 500 because I can achieve the same type of "reset" from "gunning" it a lot. I like the do it yourself projects. I want MORE TORQUE!!!!!
Old 02-27-2010, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a toy
Powerchip.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:52 PM

2007 CLS 550
Regarding the powerchip, is there any plug and play options? Because it seems you have to send the whole computer out to get flashed, and send it out again, when the car goes to the dealer? Can this void warranty if they find out? Is there any piggy back ECU options with this at all for my CLS?
Old 02-28-2010, 11:49 PM

a toy
There are no piggybacks on the CLS as far as I know. Powerchip was convenient for me since it's just an hour's drive from me, but I'm sure they have a faster turnaround available though.

On a GM car I have (and used another ecu tuning company), I was mailed a temporary ecu to run my car on while my original one was reprogrammed and sent back to me. Zero downtime. I wonder if Powerchip can cater to that though

As for the dealer, it all depends how close you are with your service underwriter. I leave my car intact and the service department has never hassled me about any mods on either of my MBs.

Last edited by Roupin; 02-28-2010 at 11:51 PM.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:40 AM

Ok from what I have gathered from reading about powerchip is that it basically is some sort of "software upgrade" that reads the ECU system and determines ways to maximize power. Is that about right? I noticed you got an ECU tune, is that required for install of powerchip..if so why?

And one last question, I noticed you did this a couple of years back have you noticed in loss of power since?

good thread by the way https://mbworld.org/forums/cls-coupe...erchipped.html

Originally Posted by Roupin
Powerchip.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 E550 Cab & 2011 GL 550 & 09 VROD Muscle & 06 Seadoo Speedster LE .......
there is nothing to do ur self on this thing except for K&N air filters.....and a ECU tune is quite different on Pick up.....match it with headers and exhaust and its quite a difference over all
Old 03-03-2010, 01:03 AM

Sold - CLK500
Kleemann headers!
Old 03-03-2010, 04:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by mk4mike
Kleemann headers!
+1
Old 03-05-2010, 02:07 PM

a toy
Originally Posted by erifly
Ok from what I have gathered from reading about powerchip is that it basically is some sort of "software upgrade" that reads the ECU system and determines ways to maximize power. Is that about right? I noticed you got an ECU tune, is that required for install of powerchip..if so why?

And one last question, I noticed you did this a couple of years back have you noticed in loss of power since?

good thread by the way https://mbworld.org/forums/cls-coupe...erchipped.html
They basically reprogram the ecu and maximize the power of the engine. Powerchip IS an ecu tune..."Powerchip" is just the name of the company.

No loss in power at all. If anything the car is a beast now. I have a hard time getting any traction in 1st and it easily spins all the way to redline. And that's on relatively sticky Contisport 3's.
I raced my neighbor's stock CLS550 and pulled a 1.5 carlengths to 100.

Here's a short pull against an E500 with exhaust
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT0oPlZYkfM
Old 03-05-2010, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
They basically reprogram the ecu and maximize the power of the engine. Powerchip IS an ecu tune..."Powerchip" is just the name of the company.

No loss in power at all. If anything the car is a beast now. I have a hard time getting any traction in 1st and it easily spins all the way to redline. And that's on relatively sticky Contisport 3's.

not only more power, you can get better throttle response, higher redline limit, more fuel delivery, and speed limiter removed (all options with the tune).
Old 03-08-2010, 02:13 PM

I reach conflicting information on the K&N air filters as well. From what I read the stock filters on our vehicles are actually pretty premium and the K&N filters do not provide that much performance value. Though they are cheap($75 or so).

Originally Posted by UDWANIT2
there is nothing to do ur self on this thing except for K&N air filters.....and a ECU tune is quite different on Pick up.....match it with headers and exhaust and its quite a difference over all
Old 03-08-2010, 02:16 PM

Wow 7-10% in horsepower and torque gain. . I like this. I'm gonna research this more(Cost, additional equipment needed, etc). Thanks!

http://www.kleemann.dk/Performance/P...stHeaders.aspx

Originally Posted by mk4mike
Kleemann headers!
Old 03-08-2010, 02:17 PM

Interesting. So would you rate this the best ECU tune. Better than Kleeman's or other companies.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 E550 Cab & 2011 GL 550 & 09 VROD Muscle & 06 Seadoo Speedster LE .......
ok if u say K&N has no power gains but it is a more Freeflow Airfilter than the stock pull it out and check both the qualities....i have and secondly they will last 10 times longer than the factory....the filters will only help with headers cats and Exhaust to make this setup more free flow i added the filters and trust me there is a diff....
Old 03-19-2010, 04:56 AM

a toy
Originally Posted by erifly
Interesting. So would you rate this the best ECU tune. Better than Kleeman's or other companies.
I have no idea how the other tunes compare, whether Kleeman or Renntech as I haven't tried anything other than Powerchip. They are relatively local to me and have catered to all my needs, and at their price point they were my first choice of tune.

Be sure to report your findings as I'd love to hear your feedback no matter which way you go.

Just remember to stay away from the less experienced vendors. Check the E55 section if you're not sure about what's going on (blown engine).