CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Replacing headlight bulbs. Xenon/HID Kits?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 500
Replacing headlight bulbs. Xenon/HID Kits?

Hello All,

I have a 2006 CLS500 and the headlights don't have the clear white look that you see in other CLS models, like the 550 or AMG models. The headlights are ok, but seem to have a slight yellowish tint to them like standard headlights.

Can I simply swap out the bulbs with brighter ones or ones that seem more crystal clear. And, what is the difference between HID kits and simply doing a bulb swap? Are Xenon's in themselves’ simply the brighter looking headlights that have the crystal white look? Are there HIDs in the 2006 CLS?

Excuse the novice questions, but I have seen a lot of posts regarding HID, HID kits and Xenon and mixed interpretations.
Old 02-04-2011, 10:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'99 Mustang
Originally Posted by bkana
Hello All,

I have a 2006 CLS500 and the headlights don't have the clear white look that you see in other CLS models, like the 550 or AMG models. The headlights are ok, but seem to have a slight yellowish tint to them like standard headlights.

Can I simply swap out the bulbs with brighter ones or ones that seem more crystal clear. And, what is the difference between HID kits and simply doing a bulb swap? Are Xenon's in themselves’ simply the brighter looking headlights that have the crystal white look? Are there HIDs in the 2006 CLS?

Excuse the novice questions, but I have seen a lot of posts regarding HID, HID kits and Xenon and mixed interpretations.
I am also interested in these questions!

Jeeman
Old 02-04-2011, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 172 Likes on 156 Posts
99 E320
what you're looking for sounds like HID bulbs, which requires a little reading to fully understand
the effects, legalities, and costs involved for quality results

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...lbs/bulbs.html
Old 02-04-2011, 01:54 PM

CLS 500
Interesting read (thanks for posting that Raymond g-) and I do not doubt the validity of the articles, in fact, I agree with most of what I read. And, I don't want those super blue or "inflated" white bulbs in my car either.

It is in interesting though to see many newer model cars equipped with these non-yellow looking headlights, where the light just looks or seems brighter. I have noticed that the lit areas in front of these vehicles is longer (and some, wider) than mine. I have been in my friends’ CLS 550 and you can see more of the road in front of you at night. I have had my headlamps checked to make sure they weren’t loose or misaligned.

I just think the bulbs in mine are either weak or dying and wanted something just a tad stronger and thought about just swapping out the bulbs – which I’m not sure I can do, hence my post. So, couldn’t I just buy a bulb that is say a “step up” from what I currently have and be ok? If so, what type or brand? Any thoughts?
Old 02-04-2011, 01:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
w205 C63s, w212 E63,w219CLS500-SOLD! w211 E63, 2006 E60 M5 (KABOOM!)
I would not bother reading the link raymond posted. We have projector headlights in our cars and therefore that article does not pertain to our vehicles. You most likely have a standard H7 bulb in your headlight. Yes, you can buy an HID kit and install it in your vehicle with no adverse effects. (other than the pain in the *** it is to get to the bulbs). If you are going to go through the hassle of changing bulbs, go with HID. You will be much happier.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
Originally Posted by jaedee
I would not bother reading the link raymond posted. We have projector headlights in our cars and therefore that article does not pertain to our vehicles. You most likely have a standard H7 bulb in your headlight. Yes, you can buy an HID kit and install it in your vehicle with no adverse effects. (other than the pain in the *** it is to get to the bulbs). If you are going to go through the hassle of changing bulbs, go with HID. You will be much happier.
LOL...what you're saying indicates a lack of understanding of halogen vs HIDs.
simply dropping in an HID bulb/kit into your halogen housing degrades the focus,
induces unwanted glare, and illegal (for folks who care). principles of HID vs halogen
lighting apply to reflectors and projectors...which are designed for the bulb/type.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:05 PM

CLS 500
Thanks jaedee, do you have any recommendations on the type of HID bulb to purchase? Or, is an entire HID kit required?
Old 02-07-2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by raymond g-
LOL...what you're saying indicates a lack of understanding of halogen vs HIDs.
simply dropping in an HID bulb/kit into your halogen housing degrades the focus,
induces unwanted glare, and illegal (for folks who care). principles of HID vs halogen
lighting apply to reflectors and projectors...which are designed for the bulb/type.
I bought into this line of bull when I initially bought my HID lights. I installed the bulb on the driver side (simply because it was easier to get to) and left the halogen bulb in the passenger side. Turned on the lights and the pattern was very similar. As far as degrading focus, I would have to disagree. I will not dispute the fact the bulbs are definitely brighter, but even after a year of having them installed, I can count on one hand the amount of times people have flashed me because of the "unwanted glare". Believe what you want, its your car.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by bkana
Thanks jaedee, do you have any recommendations on the type of HID bulb to purchase? Or, is an entire HID kit required?
I bought mine from ddmtuning.com FYI, with their kits, you do not need the error cancelling units. They now sell DS1 kits, which I do not have. If you decide to go that direction, let me know how it goes. I would imagine you will behappy with either.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

99 E320
Originally Posted by jaedee
I bought into this line of bull when I initially bought my HID lights. I installed the bulb on the driver side (simply because it was easier to get to) and left the halogen bulb in the passenger side. Turned on the lights and the pattern was very similar. As far as degrading focus, I would have to disagree. I will not dispute the fact the bulbs are definitely brighter, but even after a year of having them installed, I can count on one hand the amount of times people have flashed me because of the "unwanted glare". Believe what you want, its your car.
i'm glad for you that you are satisfied and happy with the results. this occurs
when you are successful defying the simple laws of physics, and can turn a
blind eye to motor vehicle laws which prohibits HID kits. at least you're happy
and can prosletyze for others to do the same with no regret.

Last edited by raymond g-; 02-08-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:43 PM

CLS500 & C230 Kompressor
So, has anyone installed a HID kit from DDM Tuning????
Old 07-15-2011, 09:29 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 E550 Cab & 2011 GL 550 & 09 VROD Muscle & 06 Seadoo Speedster LE .......
u need HID kit 6000 K for your headlights n a diff kit for fog lights....e bay for cheap...