CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-06-2012, 10:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CLS 55 AMG, FX45, F-350, Top Secret Widebody Supra (Sold) and other vehicles on another Planet
My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc

I said in another thread I would post this in here too since some of you may not venture in to the CLS55 section. I've been tied up recently but here here goes! I finally got back to building my CLS5. Been busy with work, traveling, family, and other things and haven't had a chance to really focus on my CLS55 but now that I have time, I'm not wasting another moment to continue my build. I'll post additional details as I go along with the build. Just thought I would post this for those that were interested in the Prior Design Kit among other things.

I already did the following mods a year ago:

-82mm throttle body
-Kleemann headers
-Primary race cats
-Resonator and second cat delete
-Custom x-pipe
-185mm ASP pulley
-550cc injectors
-K&N filters
-ASP idler pulley kit
-Colder NGK plugs
-Eurocharged Heat Exchanger
-Eurocharged ECU tune
-Meziere water pump

Now I'm getting the mod bug again and am now doing a body kit, wheels, and more motor mods! The build begins again!

My new kit arrived a month and a half ago. It's the first Prior Design PD600 body kit in the U.S. (Big thanks to Peter at ACG)
My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-ng5514re.jpg

Doing test fitment of the kit
My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-pdsneakpreview2re.jpg

My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-pdsneakpreview3re.jpg

My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-pdsneakpreview4re.jpg

New Rear Test Fit
My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-pdsneakpreview1re.jpg

I installed my aftermarket screen and wrapped my dash in carbon fiber fabric about a year and a half ago in my garage.
My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-myclsinteriorre.jpg

Fast forward a year and a half and I hate it. I decided to pull it all out and get it re-done to something else.
My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-myclsinterior2re.jpg

Now, I get the pleasure of removing all the glue LOL.

My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-myclsinterior3re.jpg

This was progress from almost a month ago. More to follow!

Old 05-06-2012, 10:25 PM

CLS 55 AMG, FX45, F-350, Top Secret Widebody Supra (Sold) and other vehicles on another Planet
Here is more progress.

My CLS55 was at Progressive Autosports a month ago for prep and paint. I wanted to get my headlights re-done. I went with a matte black finish because I'm not a fan of chrome light housings. = )

My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-headlightbreakdown.jpg

Front Bumper sanded down and rid of ugly waves and pin holes. (I forgot to take pics of the lip that attaches to the bottom of it.)
My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-prreardiffuserupdated3re.jpg

The Prior Rear Bumper started off like this:
My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-pdsneakpreview1re.jpg

I wanted parts of it cut out = )
My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-prreardiffuserupdated2re.jpg

My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-prreardiffuserupdated1re.jpg

I opted to not go with a regular aluminum mesh grill for the cut outs. I wanted a cleaner/OEM look so I purchased some ABS plastic mesh with the wide honeycomb pattern.
My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-pdrearbumpermesh.jpg

Old 05-06-2012, 10:28 PM

My long time industry friend Vincent, owner of iForged and Forgestar sent some pics of my wheels. These were taken a week and a half ago. The new Concave wheels arrive May 8th!
My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-photo.jpg

My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-photo1.jpg

This was the progress two weeks after drop off. As you can see I also had my headlight housings sprayed and baked to matte black. They are dirty in these photos but looks fantastic in person! I think the headlight color change makes the whole front flow all together now.
My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-prfrontcmupdatedre.jpg

Old 05-06-2012, 10:30 PM

Here are a few shots of the rear bumper/diffuser while they were doing the finishing touches to it. = ) I had them paint the diffuser matte black. The mufflers were removed temporarily because they were touching the bumper during fitment. They'll go back on once they are done. Sorry for the subpar pics. I didn't have my DSLR with me.

My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-pdrear1are.jpg

My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-pdrear2are.jpg

My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-pdrear4re.jpg

Chrome badge delete!
My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-pdrear3are.jpg

Old 05-06-2012, 10:32 PM

I did the interior re-assembly one late night about 2 and a half weeks ago in my garage. Here is a small update! = )

Newly painted dash in Piano Black
My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-dash1re.jpg

My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-dash2re.jpg

Putting it all back together
My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-dash3re.jpg

My E(moving) Lowering Module V2 with remote! Thanks Marcus for this smoking group buy deal you did on PSC!
My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-elm1re.jpg

My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-elm2re.jpg

Installation process. PIN swap!
My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-elm3re.jpg

My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-elm4re.jpg

Kenwood Screen going back in
My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-dash4re.jpg

My dumb @ss forgot to give the body shop the Screen faceplate and upper bar to paint Piano black as well. It's comng back out this weekend to get paint matched. Sheesh. In the mean time, here is what it looks like SOMEWHAT pieced back together.
My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-dash5re.jpg

My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-dash6re.jpg

My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-dash7re.jpg

Roof Spoiler paint matched
My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-roof1re.jpg

A better look at the Matte Black Housing headlights. Ignore the dust. It's a little dirty.
My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-frontnew1re.jpg

My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-headlights2re.jpg

My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-headlights1re.jpg

Tires arrived!
My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-tires1re.jpg

Had the chrome window trim wrapped in matte black
My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-windowtrim.jpg

The Prior Design bumpers looked great and I thought I could get away with just the AMG side skirts but after further evaluation I determined it definitely needs the PD side skirts. These just arrived yesterday and thanks again to Peter at ACG for getting these to me so quickly. A special thanks to Ray at Prior Design as well for additional support. So the car went back to Progressive Autosports to be painted and installed.
My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc-pdsideskirts1re.jpg

Old 05-07-2012, 05:10 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
CLS550 AMG Pkg.
Great thread...I love that front bumper, so aggressive
Old 05-07-2012, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by M1RAG3
Great thread...I love that front bumper, so aggressive
Thank you so much man. I appreciate the kind words!

Old 05-07-2012, 10:04 PM

Here is a side (3/4 angle) shot that was taken by District Speed during the Eurocharged open house event a week and a half ago. Side skirts are on and I also added matte black to the front bumper air slits. The District Speed videographer is back there in that photo doing some sick video shots of the rear. They have one video up buy I think there is another. I'll post those as well. I didn't want to debut the car in public with this kit with the stock wheels but there's no way I was missing Jerry and Jake's Grand Opening event. I can't wait for my new wheels to arrive this week!

BTW, here is my dad's CLS55 right next to mine. He has a Prior Design body kit on the way as we speak. His car goes straight to the body shop as soon as the kit arrives! = )

Old 05-09-2012, 02:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'12 E550C, Sierra Denali
It looks great! Post your dad's too.
I like the single bar grille and would consider doing the same, but have Distronic.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55
Curious about the headlight 'bake'. I can guess about spraying the reflector inside, but what needs baked???

Also, what is this lowering module group buy you speak of????

Thanks, and your ride looks sharp!
Old 05-10-2012, 11:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 550
What was the price to cover the chrome window trim wrapped in matte black?
Old 05-10-2012, 01:07 PM

CLS550 AMG Pkg.
that 3/4 shot is hot...your paint color and the black accents (headlights, lettering, window trim) work well together...cant wait to see it with the wheels on!

man that black 55 is sick too...the dish on the back wheels is sexxxx
Old 05-10-2012, 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dueclaws
It looks great! Post your dad's too.
I like the single bar grille and would consider doing the same, but have Distronic.
Thanks man! I definitely love the single fin grill. Have you tried searching for a distronic compatible one on ebay? I think some people have purchased regular single fins and integrated the distronic sensors in to it.

Originally Posted by Half Fast Drivr
Curious about the headlight 'bake'. I can guess about spraying the reflector inside, but what needs baked???

Also, what is this lowering module group buy you speak of????

Thanks, and your ride looks sharp!
The only part you need to sand down, spray, and bake is the chrome housing itself. Some people spray paint on their housings, some do powdercoat. I opted for matte black powdercoat. I'll PM you where to get a smokin deal on the lowering module. It's a price you shouldn't pass up and get it while he still has a few in stock.

Originally Posted by wavyjr
What was the price to cover the chrome window trim wrapped in matte black?
I purchased the matte black 3 inch trim from www.shawdowlinetrim.com. It was only $19 for 30 feet and easily covered both sides. You can put it on yourself or have a decal shop do it. I paid a local decal shop $50 to do the install.

that 3/4 shot is hot...your paint color and the black accents (headlights, lettering, window trim) work well together...cant wait to see it with the wheels on!

man that black 55 is sick too...the dish on the back wheels is sexxxx
Thanks bro for the kind words. It just took weeks of brainstorming to figure out the best long term look. Oh and yes, my dad's black CLS55 is definitely sexy especially with his wheels. His Prior Design Kit arrives next week and I can't wait to finish his ride!

Old 05-10-2012, 02:15 PM

Alrighty, a quick update. I've been hush about the wheels I'm getting and wanted to wait until I was closer to receiving them before I gave any details. I got my tracking number for my wheels on Tuesday! Here is what I am going with. It's the iForged Equip V3 Concave wheels. The wheel face will be brushed aluminum with a tint on it. When the light hits it directly, it doesn't show much of a tint and just looks almost like a brushed aluminum color. When there's less light, the wheel will look like a medium grey brushed aluminum. The wheel will also have a chrome lip. Here's a preview of the front wheel that my friend Vincent from iForged sent me. Waiting sucks!!!! Hurry up Friday!

Here is an iForged Equip V3 with regular brushed aluminum and chrome.

Here's a preview of mine in its final finish. This is the front wheel.

Old 05-10-2012, 03:20 PM

CLS550 AMG Pkg.
Originally Posted by cmusngi
Alrighty, a quick update. I've been hush about the wheels I'm getting and wanted to wait until I was closer to receiving them before I gave any details. I got my tracking number for my wheels on Tuesday! Here is what I am going with. It's the iForged Equip V3 Concave wheels. The wheel face will be brushed aluminum with a tint on it. When the light hits it directly, it doesn't show much of a tint and just looks almost like a brushed aluminum color. When there's less light, the wheel will look like a medium grey brushed aluminum. The wheel will also have a chrome lip. Here's a preview of the front wheel that my friend Vincent from iForged sent me. Waiting sucks!!!! Hurry up Friday!

Here is an iForged Equip V3 with regular brushed aluminum and chrome.

Here's a preview of mine in its final finish. This is the front wheel.

That finish is unique...looking at the color of the face I think it will go perfectly with the shade of your paint; good call on the tint too because I think a straight aluminum finish would contrast too much with the shade of your ride as it would be too "bright"....and damn that concave is sick
Old 05-11-2012, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
CLS550 4Matic, C43, E350, ML350
people jockin our style! lol
Old 05-13-2012, 10:24 AM

in your Mom's car
Where did you get your single fin grill at?? Also, that kit looks sick!!!
Old 05-16-2012, 03:53 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,351 Likes on 2,807 Posts
2012 CLS63
lovin' it
Old 05-23-2012, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2000 CLK 3.2

Your Dad's front lower splitter looks just right and not so big and bulky...which one does he have and where can I get it?

BTW, the Prior kit looks nice
Old 05-24-2012, 03:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
w205 C63s, w212 E63,w219CLS500-SOLD! w211 E63, 2006 E60 M5 (KABOOM!)
Did you notice any change in light output when you blacked out the housings?
Old 05-28-2012, 03:00 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2008 S63
Hey what year is your cls? Fiber optics? I ask bc I'd like to know what all you had to do to get that kenwood in? Please help. I'm looking to upgrade but the dynavin unit doesn't look like an option anymore an no one has any idea how to install one in a 2008 with fiber optics.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:46 PM

That finish is unique...looking at the color of the face I think it will go perfectly with the shade of your paint; good call on the tint too because I think a straight aluminum finish would contrast too much with the shade of your ride as it would be too "bright"....and damn that concave is sick
Thanks man! I agree with everything you just said. I blacked out the badges, headlights, chrome trim, and diffuser and doing regular brushed silver face on the wheels with this set up would have not looked as great and would look weird.

Originally Posted by djrabbi
people jockin our style! lol
LOL. You crazy bro! Come down here to Houston and hang out with us!

Originally Posted by Inf4life
Where did you get your single fin grill at?? Also, that kit looks sick!!!
Hey bro. I just saw your PM. I responded to it. Check your inbox when you can.

Originally Posted by hyperion667
lovin' it
Thanks brotha! I can't wait to join you and the others in the CLS63 bi-turbo club soon!

Originally Posted by CLK FAN

Your Dad's front lower splitter looks just right and not so big and bulky...which one does he have and where can I get it?

BTW, the Prior kit looks nice
Thanks for the compliment! The front lip is from a vendor here. It's from Gary at Suvneer. His lip and the rest of his AMG body kit just came off last week. He's currently having the complete Prior Design kit installed on his car.

Originally Posted by jaedee
Did you notice any change in light output when you blacked out the housings?
A little bit, but not as bad as I thought. It's definitely tolerable.

Originally Posted by Zerocarpileup
Hey what year is your cls? Fiber optics? I ask bc I'd like to know what all you had to do to get that kenwood in? Please help. I'm looking to upgrade but the dynavin unit doesn't look like an option anymore an no one has any idea how to install one in a 2008 with fiber optics.
I have a 2006. It's the only year they made the CLS55 AMG. It came with fiber optic everything. I did my own install a year and a half ago and just Recently worked on my dad's CLS55 Kenwood head unit install 2 weeks ago. I documented the whole process and if there is enough interest, I might be able to do a write up (DIY) for those interested in taking on the install themselves.

Last edited by cmusngi; 05-28-2012 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

White S63 AMG W/Designo Interior
CHRIS with your kenwood install did you still Retain Steering Wheel Controls such as volume and next track and stuff??
Old 05-29-2012, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by S500 Man
CHRIS with your kenwood install did you still Retain Steering Wheel Controls such as volume and next track and stuff??

Carlos, I have all the converters for the steering wheel control but I haven't gotten around do installing it. I actually don't mind being without it since the Kenwood remote is pretty easy to memorize button placement wise. I've had the steering wheel PAC modules/converters for over a year and a half and I haven't really missed not having steering wheel volume and track control. I may not even install those. The touch screen and remote have been just fine for a while now.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

White S63 AMG W/Designo Interior
Good to know i might do this in future and i probably want to retain them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My CLS build! - Prior Design Kit, blacked trim, black headlights, Concave wheels, etc