CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

Interior size of CLS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 S500 & 2004 CLK320
Interior size of CLS

I sat in a cls today and the inside was allot smaller than the E class. People say the CLS is between the S and the E in size.. I really think its between the E and the C if you look at the size of the interior. It was kind of a disapointment.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:41 PM

2010 599 HGTE, 2009 LP560-4, 2010 Range Rover Sport SC
but its a 4 door coupe!!
Old 01-20-2005, 09:58 PM

inside size

I now own a CLS. The front is spacious and roomy with lots of legroom for even the tallest guy. My 5"11, 200 pound friend fit in the back seat with less than an inch between his head and the roof. He did not have much legroom but he said it was ok.

Strange thing is, if you compare the interior space on the E and CLS brochures, it shows the CLS to have more cabin capacity but the E has more legroom. Go figure.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hurleygirley
Strange thing is, if you compare the interior space on the E and CLS brochures, it shows the CLS to have more cabin capacity but the E has more legroom. Go figure.

Not true at all. If you compare E and CLS dimensions on the official website, you'll learn that CLS is bigger on the outside, but smaller on the inside.

Staying on topic - Does anyone know how the rear head room + leg room compares to CL? I'm 6'2", and when I sat in the back of a CL I felt pretty comfortable. Anyone know if CLS has more room in the back compared to the CL? I checked the website, and it looks like CLS has a bit more room, but I really have no idea how it is in reality.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:53 PM

I haven't sat in the back yet - I tend to not worry about the back seat passengers :v lol...the front seems a lot more roomy to me than my current e-class IMO, but I've herard different opinions from different people. I'm almost 6'3" and I will say the one cool thing is the doors are so high, you feel like you are in the ****pit of a plane - and it isn't cramped at all. What does everyone else think?
Old 01-20-2005, 11:55 PM

apparently I couldn't say c o c k pit in the last post - so let's say airplane cabin...lol
Old 01-20-2005, 11:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Haha, yeah it's a censored word.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:29 AM
Almost a Member!

08 S550v4 sport pkg, 07 BMW M6 converti, 07 CL550 Sport pkg
i have a CL, i Sat in the CLS (every seat, front seats adjusted to my liking) and a good friend of mine Bought my E class so i can say that the CLS is very comfy in the front seat almost if not the same as the CL (CL front seat is bigger then the E Class) the rear seat feels like the leg room is just a bit bigger then the E Class. but the head room is smaller then the E class. and i think i have to go sit in the back seat of my CL to see the head room. But in the CLS i had about an inch above my head. I am 6ft 185lbs Shaved head so not having hair might have made a difference but if i sat pin straight up in the back i kinda felt the roof, but i am fine with the car
Old 01-21-2005, 09:26 AM

cabin capacity is larger in CLS than E

According to the MBUSA website, cabin capacity for CLS is 104.3 cubic feet and for E it is 97.2 cubic feet.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:05 PM

2006 CLS55 AMG
I just sat in a CLS500. I'm 6'3 1/2" and found that the front seat goes back too far for me and when in pulled up into a comfortable driving position, the back seat was fine for me in both head room and leg room. The front head room is the same as my MY2002 W210 E55.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:14 PM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
Something wrong here

MBUSA lists the cabin capacity of the S Class at 105 cubic feet and the CLS cabin capacity at 104 cubic feet. There is no way that the CLS cabin is only 1% smaller than the S Class. In fact, there is no way that the cabin capacity of the CLS is as large as the E Class, which has a listed cabin capacity of 97 cubic feet. Think about it- it is an E Class chasis- it has to be smaller inside than an E Class.

This isn't the first time MBUSA has posted incorrect specifications. When I purchased the current body CLK, it was initially listed with a 187" length and was later corrected to 182".
Old 01-21-2005, 02:33 PM

2002 S500 & 2004 CLK320
Originally Posted by adam76
but its a 4 door coupe!!

There is no such this as a 4 door coupe,, A coupe is a 2 door car PERIOD. If the car has 4 doors,, it is no longer a Coupe..
Old 01-21-2005, 02:41 PM

2002 S500 & 2004 CLK320
Originally Posted by shoes
MBUSA lists the cabin capacity of the S Class at 105 cubic feet and the CLS cabin capacity at 104 cubic feet. There is no way that the CLS cabin is only 1% smaller than the S Class. In fact, there is no way that the cabin capacity of the CLS is as large as the E Class, which has a listed cabin capacity of 97 cubic feet. Think about it- it is an E Class chasis- it has to be smaller inside than an E Class.

This isn't the first time MBUSA has posted incorrect specifications. When I purchased the current body CLK, it was initially listed with a 187" length and was later corrected to 182".
Shoes you are so CORRECT. I think allot of people are dazzeled by the new looks and are totally wrong on there sences when it comes to the actual size of the car. I dont care what any website says, THE CLS is SMALLER THAN THE E class. AND THE CLS IS NO COUPE PEOPLE. It has 4 doors. WOW. Its funny how some people just don't understand.
BTW, I have an S Class and I can say that the S is about 40% bigger than the CLS. Bigger in cabin size that is.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:10 PM

2012 Diavel
Absolutely!

The interior is definitely tighter. I'm 6'2" and my hair (+1/2 ") was rubbing on the ceiling in the back. Back seats sit higher then in the E and of course closer together without the center seat. Front seat could easily seat a 7' but with no passenger behind. The one thing I noticed was that where the window controls on the E come right under my hand while my arm is in a relaxed position, the CLS controls are more where my wrist is. There is also almost no dashboard space to the glasss to speak of. Must because they would not have enough cows to donate the leather if it was as large as the E.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65
I just got back from a long test drive. My impressions are as follows. It's a visually stunning car, the pictures do not do it justice. It was alot bigger on the outside than I thought it would be, almost as long as an S series when pulled up next to it. The interior was very well done and I was impressed, I was not to impressed with the E interior to compare. The matte wood finish looked alot better in person that it looked in pictures and it went very well with the black interior. The front seat was very comfortable and there was plenty of room to stretch out, driving it was quite relaxing up there. The back seat however was rather useless. I'm 6'0 and 160 and I had a difficult time getting in the back. Once in my knees were touching the back of the frontseat and my head was hitting the ceiling. The pictures MB put out of a roomy backseat are very misleading. Visibility inside the car was excellent, no large blind spots to be wary of. The ride was exactly like an E. No difference at all, not that it's a bad thing. It has a very comfortable ride, but if you go in thinking the CLS is sportier than an E than you will be disappointed. In short it has a very appealing look and a well thought out interior but otherwise just a smaller E in disguise that costs more.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:34 PM

2012 Diavel
handling...

I notice that in the sport II setting the handling was more responsive and with a little more road feel than my E55.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:15 PM

Sounds about right with regard to the cabin and body - the styling is beautiful - I still say this again though - who the heck cares about the people in the back seat...LOL. If they are too cramped they can take their own car.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:40 PM
Almost a Member!

08 S550v4 sport pkg, 07 BMW M6 converti, 07 CL550 Sport pkg
Originally Posted by shoes

IT IS NOT INCORRECT BUT THEY TAKE INTO ACCOUNT THE DASH TO WINDSHIELD SPACE ASWELL AS THE REAR DECK TO BACK WINDOW SPACE ALSO THE CENTER CONSOLE AND SPACE ABOVE THAT

AND ABOUT IT BEING A COUPE

Originally Posted by ZorroAMG
Coupe is the Anglicised name for Coupé, which means "cut" in french, referring to the roofline. We just assume that the term is meant for 2-door cars, because we imposed that name on them.

Last edited by 0-60 Swiftly; 01-21-2005 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:37 PM

2006 CLS55 AMG
Instead of a french word like Coupe, would you prefer a German word that translate to= A 4 door with sloping roof line and frame less windows and has 4 full size seats? Most likely would not be as short as Coupe and not be as romantic. Who cares? It is just a marketing term. Get over it. Buy it/like it or find a car you do like.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:44 PM

CLS55

MB can call it an elephant if it wants too...let it be.

have you guys seen the commericials on TV yet? they're on at least twice per hour on channels like National Geographic, Discovery, etc. the red color looks hot! oh, and they call it "the world's first 4 door coupe by MB" by the way.

Originally Posted by tomk
Instead of a french word like Coupe, would you prefer a German word that translate to= A 4 door with sloping roof line and frame less windows and has 4 full size seats? Most likely would not be as short as Coupe and not be as romantic. Who cares? It is just a marketing term. Get over it. Buy it/like it or find a car you do like.
Old 01-22-2005, 01:41 AM
KB5

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm 6'5" and just test drove the CLS500 and had the same experience. Huge front leg room. I brought the seat up also leaving good back seat legroom.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:44 PM

Mercedes all the way!
guys, it's the usage of "coupe" that is misleading -- as posted above, coupe refers to the ROOFLINE. THAT is the dictionary definition. the usual practice of having calling a 2-door car a coupe is simply a simplification.
there's absolutely nothing wrong with MB's space specs. the question is how much USEABLE space there is. it is entirely possible that the E-class is much smaller inside -- humans aren't air, we can't fit into any possible space. so the point is the E uses space more effectively, that's all. and haha, i agree, i seldom have rear-seaters anyway so...
Old 01-24-2005, 05:31 PM
Almost a Member!

CLS500
guys, it's the usage of "coupe" that is misleading -- as posted above, coupe refers to the ROOFLINE. THAT is the dictionary definition. the usual practice of having calling a 2-door car a coupe is simply a simplification.
there's absolutely nothing wrong with MB's space specs. the question is how much USEABLE space there is. it is entirely possible that the E-class is much smaller inside -- humans aren't air, we can't fit into any possible space. so the point is the E uses space more effectively, that's all. and haha, i agree, i seldom have rear-seaters anyway so...

totoaly agree. Who cares the extra sit as long as its hotter than the E
Old 01-24-2005, 05:31 PM
Almost a Member!

CLS500
:)

totoaly agree. Who cares the extra sit as long as its hotter than the E