CLS Coupe (C219) Discuss the CLS Coupe.

CLS500 Owner's observations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C400, BMW X3
CLS500 Owner's observations

I have been driving a CLS500 for a couple of weeks and I wanted to post some of my observations. This is a launch edition car that my wife fell in love with, so I do not get to drive it much, but here is what I like and dislike:

Likes: The driving experience is very smooth, perhaps the best riding Mercedes with eighteen inch wheels I have ever driven. The adjustable suspension settings are very subtle- even in the stiffest mode, the ride is still very compliant, just a bit more jiggly. This is also the best handling E Class based suspension I have experienced and an improvement over my last E55.

Dislikes: Am I the only one who has trouble warming up to the 7 Speed transmission? In particular when cold and coming to a stop, it clunks into the lowest gear; even setting it on comfort mode and locking out first gear doesn't help. Forget about the sport setting for the transmission- too abrupt for relaxed driving. The visibility of this car is poor, worse than I expected. I knew that the smaller windows would hinder visibility fore and aft, but I did not realize how the sloped "B" pillar would hinder forward side vision, made even worse by the mirrors which seems mounted too high. I strongly advise anyone who buys these cars to order it with parktronic. The rear of the car is impossible to judge in parallel parking.

My wife loves it for now and that is all that matters.
Old 02-14-2005, 02:43 PM

2010 599 HGTE, 2009 LP560-4, 2010 Range Rover Sport SC
i have not had any of the probs u described in regards to the trans. in fact, i was just in conversation saying how impressed i was, and the tranny seemed to be exceptionally smooth, i had been worried about the 7 speed before i bought it, but am completely happy with it now.

i agree that visabilty is not best, the mirrors are a bit goofy, and the pillars definately are the cause of the visability issues, not the small windows. i didnt go with parktronic, i dont want the false sense of security of relying on it when i park, id rather be 100% sure, i just dont trust the technology enough, especially when youve got 8k of aftermarket wheels on. i also agree though that judging the front and back ends is quite difficult...

the HK sound system is very disapointing, why cant they get the sound system right when u shell out the extra $$$?
Old 02-14-2005, 04:11 PM

Adam, you have to check Reus Systems out - I will put a long post with more details on them online later but their website is a great resource - they are hands down the best kept secret in car audio in the U.S. - if not the world - their clients liken it to a secret society. They build all of their own components and they blow away everything from Bostons to MB Quart to McIntosh. Absolutely stunning - they work on cars all over the U.S. and I believe they can even fly to you - they actually install almost everything behind factory mounts so you never even know one of their systems is in the car until you turn it on. Lifetime warranty on everything - their clientelle is a who's who of the recording industry and the clarity of their speakers and amps is so impressive you can actually here flaws in the recording studios on some albums.

Reus Systems

http://www.reusaudio.com/
Old 02-14-2005, 05:54 PM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
If money were no object

Who wants to spend money to have someone fix the sound system in our $80,000 cars when they should sound good to begin with. Now that Mercedes has at least addressed our crucial cup holder issue, perhaps they will spend some more time on the stereos.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by shoes
Who wants to spend money to have someone fix the sound system in our $80,000 cars when they should sound good to begin with. Now that Mercedes has at least addressed our crucial cup holder issue, perhaps they will spend some more time on the stereos.

E X A C T L Y !!!!
Old 02-14-2005, 08:06 PM

LOL...true I suppose...I'm in a different boat here because I grew up competing in stereo competitons (For clarity, not SPL bass competition). I'm a die hard audiophile and I absoltuely love driving long trips just to listen to music. I never get the stereo upgardes on cars I buy or lease because I never use them - I only got the HK on the E500 I have because I was never going to switch out the head unit. Beverly Hills Mercedes covers Reus as a preferred vendor so I never had to worry about warranty issues - They work on all cars, but primarily on Mercedes, BMW, Bentley, Ferrari, Porsche, etc. Their stereos are really for those who are in love with how music sounds in their cars and want the best. They create a lot of their own components because the industry hasn't produced anything that matched their standards; as I mentioned, not even McIntosh or any other major palyers hold a candle to the stereos they create - I found them at the L.A. Auto Show 2 years ago and am in love with their work so I had to mention them here - prob shold create a stereo thread tho...lol. Hope this info is helpful!
Old 02-14-2005, 09:14 PM

sorry u got me wrong. i feel the HK should be better then what was paid, but ive been doing custom stereos forever myself. it gets harder with these high end cars though, the most i plan on doing with the CLS, or at least starting, is to add a sub with some power, and possibly upgrade the stock drivers. ive found that even that helps, and im hoping the HK power may be sufficient. the HK is really lacking a strong midrange, and sub seems to drop off a bit early IMO.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:46 PM

SL550
john87699 --- Are you getting your car through BH Ltd.? Mine should arrive there in 6-8 weeks.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:04 PM

Rusnak actually. But BH has the only service department I've found to be at all helpful...lol...so I go there...gets pretty busy though.

Adam, I din't know that - if you're ever in So Cal chekc out Reus, I think you'll love them. I have the same feelings about the stock MB stereos - at least fromt he first few days that I had my E before I had them do the install - I don't trust a lot of the aftermarket stereo shops out here - they tend to experiment too much and hack job stuff. The stock HK was okay for what it was the first few days - I actually liked the stock stereo on the old GS - it wasn't a Nakamichi even - always felt for a stock stereo it had good sound - that was when pioneer did the Lexus stereos and not mark levinson - although I hear they sound pretty nice.

Let me know what you end up doing with the stock stereo in the CLS - if you wanna switch out the head unit , Clarion makes a great unit with the 7 inch display that fits right in - very little custom work and it's not a pop-up screen, but fixed display. Also, have you put the rims on yet? what did you get or are you getting? Pictures???
Old 02-14-2005, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by bm75204
john87699 --- Are you getting your car through BH Ltd.? Mine should arrive there in 6-8 weeks.
Rusnak actually. But BH has the only service department I've found to be at all helpful...lol...so I go there...gets pretty busy though.

Mine is about 6-8 weeks too - Feb build date - maybe they are coming over on the same shipment!!! I can't wait!!!
Old 02-14-2005, 10:09 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
CLS Impressions

I usually drive an S-Class, so please take my comments as those from someone who is a bit spoiled with the Mercedes's flagship. I've been driving a CLS500 for the past few days and I have a few comments.

1. The airmatic suspension is a wonderful addition to the E-Class ride.
2. Harmon-Kardon sound system is disapointing.
3. If you actually need a backseat, forget it ! You can reason all you want, but it's primarily meant for shirts-to-the-laundry or a very occasional couple.
4. Parktronic needs to be a mandatory option. (Adam, there is no false sense of security. Parktronic is more accurate than a sliderule.) At minimum, the right side mirror should tilt down.
5. My wife thinks the wood trim looks like plastic.
6. It's better looking in person than I expected, almost like a CL without the steroids. The 4-passenger seating arrangement is perfect.

This car will sell well. It fits a new niche like (pardon the comparison) the Chrysler 300. It's a re-invention of everything we thought we knew about cars in general and Mercedes in particular.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:28 PM

SL550
Originally Posted by john87699

Mine is about 6-8 weeks too - Feb build date - maybe they are coming over on the same shipment!!! I can't wait!!!
Yep --- Same here. They thought it'd be in California by late March if it caught a boat in time or mid-April at the latest. I can't wait for the road trip back to Texas!
Old 02-15-2005, 07:21 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 S550 Alabaster
2. Harmon-Kardon sound system is disapointing.
I would like to know more about the specifics of the HK disappointments. A salesperson at the Barrier dealership in Bellevue WA told me that HK felt this sound system was superior to the Mark Levison (which is now an HK product?). Just a little inexperienced about this, so could use some education.
Old 03-11-2005, 06:41 PM

CLS55
did the transmission get better or did you have to take it in to get it fixed? i just picked my CLS up last night and have the same issue with the rough downshifting to 2nd/1st.

Am I the only one who has trouble warming up to the 7 Speed transmission? In particular when cold and coming to a stop, it clunks into the lowest gear; even setting it on comfort mode and locking out first gear doesn't help. Forget about the sport setting for the transmission- too abrupt for relaxed driving.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:36 PM

i orignally posted that i did not notice this really, but i only had been driving with the Comfort setting. After switching to Sport mode, i think i may see what you guys are talking about. Do you experience this in either C or S mode, or in both?
Old 03-11-2005, 09:36 PM

CLS55
i experience it in both modes, but it is very mild in comfort mode.

Originally Posted by adam76
i orignally posted that i did not notice this really, but i only had been driving with the Comfort setting. After switching to Sport mode, i think i may see what you guys are talking about. Do you experience this in either C or S mode, or in both?
Old 03-12-2005, 08:53 AM

Mercedes C400, BMW X3
I can't take it

I hope I won't get flamed, but I am dumping my CLS500, I suppose I must be the first. I am replacing it today with an E55 wagon.

My problems with the CLS haven't gotten any better- I don't enjoy the 7 speed transmission, I think the visibility of the car is dangerous for someone of short stature and I don't find the seats comfortable.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:19 AM
bhr
Almost a Member!

I hope I won't get flamed, but I am dumping my CLS500, I suppose I must be the first. I am replacing it today with an E55 wagon.

My problems with the CLS haven't gotten any better- I don't enjoy the 7 speed transmission, I think the visibility of the car is dangerous for someone of short stature and I don't find the seats comfortable.
Tell me more about the visability problems you've had and in what situations?
Old 03-12-2005, 10:22 AM

Must be personal preference, I totally pased on the E55, and Im so much happier in the CLS. Im sure you wont have a problem getting rid of it. The transmission for me is not a problem at all, and the visibility is fine for me as well.

To each his own.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:51 PM

Now that you mention it, it probably is dangerous visibility wise - you have to watch out where you're driving and backing up so you don't run over the aw-struck bystanders in a trance drooling over the car - I completely understand - I'm sure that is going to take some getting used to when I get mine in a few weeks.
Old 03-12-2005, 02:59 PM

I don't find the seats comfortable.
This I'll give you - I actually upgraded my order to Nappa leather in the last minute because I felt the seats were sort of hard and uncomfortable - the nappa were money when I sat in them - got the change in just in time the last day I could.

Anyone who has their's yet without nappa have an opinion on this? Maybe I just have a boney ***. LOL
Old 03-13-2005, 02:51 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 S550 Alabaster
i don't know if nappa leather helps my boney butt, or not, jon87699, but i wouldn't order a CLS without it. it's like ordering a banana split without the ice cream.

in terms of the transmission shifting issue posted by several of you, i've had it happen only a couple time in comfort mode, but i have to admit, i wonder if its as much my driving technique as it is the tranny's operation. overall, i'm very impressed with its smoothness and lovely acceleration. of course, i'm hoping i still feel this way at 40k miles.