CLS Coupe (C257) Discuss the CLS Coupe

2022 CLS-450 "Mild Hybrid" question...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2023, 01:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 450
2022 CLS-450 "Mild Hybrid" question...

I've had my CLS-450 for about two months now and I'm really trying to understand how the "mild hybrid" stuff works.
In ECO dynamic mode, if I see a downhill area of road that I'm about to come into, I let my foot off the gas while going the speed limit (OK, maybe 53 in a 45 zone), and the engine immediately cuts off (RPM's go to zero), and it seems to do a pretty good job of "coasting", but annoyingly it still seems to slowly lose speed, even if there's a downhill grade.
Three questions:
1. Is there any screen (either in the center display or driver's speedometer display) that I can turn on that will display the current charge percentage of the 48V battery used for the electric motor?
2. I'm assuming that the current charge of the 48V battery is almost full (not sure because of #1 above), but why in the heck doesn't the car's programming want to put a little more juice into the electric moto to maintain the current speed?
3. Why is this engine turn off "coast" feature only available when the car is going downhill? If I want to spend some battery juice to maintain my speed without the engine running, shouldn't I be able to do that until the 48V battery gets low on charge (maybe 10 to 15%) regardless of whether I'm going downhill or not?
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Last edited by smckenna; 10-30-2023 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-31-2023, 01:32 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2022 CLS450 2011 Boxster Spyder 2022 Bayliss V2
EDIT - this video did not work - go to post #8 in ths thread.

You’re way past me! I’m only 700 miles in and still trying to figure out the mbux basics.

I did see this link that shows how to access the service menu which provides the 48v battery status - 4th post in thread.

https://mbworld.org/forums/cls-coupe...y-battery.html

Last edited by kdub; 11-01-2023 at 12:27 AM.
Old 10-31-2023, 01:42 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,936 Likes on 3,099 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
The car loses speed because you are commanding no torque from the powertrain by virtue of the pedal position you have chosen.

To maintain speed activate the Distronic.
Old 10-31-2023, 08:09 AM

CLS 450
Originally Posted by chassis
To maintain speed activate the Distronic.
What is Distronic and how do I activate it? Is that just a fancy word for cruise control? Nevermind, I read up on this in the user's manual and went out and tested things out with Distronic (cruise control) activated, and no matter how many times I tried it would never turn the engine off while Distronic is activated and maintaining the vehicle's speed, regardless of whether traveling downhill, flat even roads, or uphill.

Last edited by smckenna; 10-31-2023 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-31-2023, 09:09 AM

CLS 450
Originally Posted by kdub
You’re way past me! I’m only 700 miles in and still trying to figure out the mbux basics.
I did see this link that shows how to access the service menu which provides the 48v battery status - 4th post in thread.
Thanks for the link, but unfortunately no matter how much I tried, I could not get the hidden "workshop menu" item to appear on the driver's display. I noticed that the car in the video had the old 2019 style touch pads on the steering wheel, so the new MBUX probably has a new way of getting to the hidden menu that I just don't know about yet.
Old 10-31-2023, 03:22 PM

There were two videos - old steering wheel and the new 2022 steering wheel. I will try at some point this week to see if I can get it to work on my 2022.

It looked like after pressing start button, held button on the right for 3-5 seconds, then button on the left 3-5 seconds and then repeated the button on right and then left.

Reminds me of 1980’s Commodore 64 video games with cheat sheets downloaded from dial up bulletin boards.
Old 10-31-2023, 03:24 PM

CLS 450
There were two videos - old steering wheel and the new 2022 steering wheel. I will try at some point this week to see if I can get it to work on my 2022.

It looked like after pressing start button, held button on the right for 3-5 seconds, then button on the left 3-5 seconds and then repeated the button on right and then left.

Reminds me of 1980’s Commodore 64 video games with cheat sheets downloaded from dial up bulletin boards.
Thanks in advance for trying to confirm and relaying the instructions.
THANKS!
Old 11-01-2023, 12:14 AM

Ok - after 5 or 6 attempts and several videos - the video linked here worked on my 2022 CLS 450. First, you need the left screen to be on the trip / odometer in the center. You will notice that in the background of the video. I tried to replicate the video on the right side and the left side of the steering wheel. Not sure which side actually worked - but maybe do them both. Here is what i was missing - that I saw in another video. Once you do what he did in the video - it will appear like nothing happened - i.e. the menu will not pop up like it did in this video. After doing what he did in the video, hit the home button on the left side of the steering wheel, then scroll all the way of the way to the left - i.e. past trip, past navigation, phone etc. and you will now see a new icon called work shop menu. Click on that and you can get to the 48v battery menu - i think under car details.

I went into the menu my battery is at 53%. I just came home from a 20 minute drive, and Saturday night i did about an hour of highway driving. I mainly run errands around town - not sure what the car likes to get the battery to 100%? Or perhaps its not actually charging? At least now i can keep an eye on the battery to see if it stays around 50% or if it is slowly draining down. You would think with all of the 48v problems Mercedes would just put the stupid 48v charge percentage on the screen so people could see it. NEIN! Could have saved people from a lot of frustrating situations assuming a drained 48v battery was the root cause. Would likely take a programmer 15 minutes.

Last edited by kdub; 11-01-2023 at 12:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
wildta (11-01-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 12:45 AM

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
2019 CLS450 (C257)
Ok - after 5 or 6 attempts and several videos - the video linked here worked on my 2022 CLS 450. First, you need the left screen to be on the trip / odometer in the center. You will notice that in the background of the video. I tried to replicate the video on the right side and the left side of the steering wheel. Not sure which side actually worked - but maybe do them both. Here is what i was missing - that I saw in another video. Once you do what he did in the video - it will appear like nothing happened - i.e. the menu will not pop up like it did in this video. After doing what he did in the video, hit the home button on the left side of the steering wheel, then scroll all the way of the way to the left - i.e. past trip, past navigation, phone etc. and you will now see a new icon called work shop menu. Click on that and you can get to the 48v battery menu - i think under car details.

I went into the menu my battery is at 53%. I just came home from a 20 minute drive, and Saturday night i did about an hour of highway driving. I mainly run errands around town - not sure what the car likes to get the battery to 100%? Or perhaps its not actually charging? At least now i can keep an eye on the battery to see if it stays around 50% or if it is slowly draining down. You would think with all of the 48v problems Mercedes would just put the stupid 48v charge percentage on the screen so people could see it. NEIN! Could have saved people from a lot of frustrating situations assuming a drained 48v battery was the root cause. Would likely take a programmer 15 minutes.

https://youtu.be/-rplyYv7-98?si=IPWNNqiVS_Fx5HmS
the 48v is usually charged more during regenerative braking (it charges when you depress the brakes), so it seems to work well on start stop situations rather than constant highway driving.
And to display the 48v charging status on the Comand screen, it needs to be coded in. (else the alternative is to monitor via the workshop menu)

Old 11-01-2023, 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by dagger22
And to display the 48v charging status on the Comand screen, it needs to be coded in.
that screen is great! How does one code it in??
Old 11-01-2023, 01:47 AM

2019 CLS450 (C257)
that screen is great! How does one code it in??
You will need access to a coding software like DTS Monaco and appropriate cable to connect via the OBD port, the setting can be enabled in the HU55 variant coding.
kdub (11-01-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 08:54 AM

CLS 450
Still no luck for me. I realized after I noticed in the video that the cruise control buttons were on the right side, so I'm assuming that the car in the video was from Europe and that I needed to use the left hand controls since I'm in the USA. No matter, I tried both left and right to no avail. Basically, per the video, I pressed the Home button for 8 to 10 seconds, then the OK button for 3 to 5 seconds. What happens to me is that as soon as I release the Home button, the large horizontal menu of options show up on the speedometer screen which isn't happening in the video, so this probably won't work for my car.
Question: In the beginning of the video, it says "Ignition switch to 15R/acc". Not sure if I'm in the correct mode to start with. I did press the start button after getting into the car and waiting 1 minute. Nothing changes much except the center display no longer has the button that reads "Start System", and now displays the radio screen. If I press the start button once again, a ton if icons show up in the lower part of the driver's speedometer screen. Even if I perform the steps in the video in that second mode with all the icons displayed, it still stubbornly didn't work. Maybe I'll try to get the special coding via the OBD port to add the new "Energy Flow" screen, but I'm worried about whether Mercedes will void my warranty.
Old 11-01-2023, 09:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 400 Likes on 275 Posts
2023 EQE 500 SUV electric and 2024 Jaguar F-PACE SVR 5.0L
You would think with all of the 48v problems Mercedes would just put the stupid 48v charge percentage on the screen so people could see it. NEIN! Could have saved people from a lot of frustrating situations assuming a drained 48v battery was the root cause. Would likely take a programmer 15 minutes.
Be grateful you're still allowed to open your hood. The owner's manual for my EQE clearly states it's VERBOTEN! They engineered an entire pop-out thingy on the side of my car just to pour in windshield washer fluid. No, I'm not joking.
kdub (11-01-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 10:31 PM

2019 CLS450 (C257)
Originally Posted by smckenna
Still no luck for me. I realized after I noticed in the video that the cruise control buttons were on the right side, so I'm assuming that the car in the video was from Europe and that I needed to use the left hand controls since I'm in the USA. No matter, I tried both left and right to no avail. Basically, per the video, I pressed the Home button for 8 to 10 seconds, then the OK button for 3 to 5 seconds. What happens to me is that as soon as I release the Home button, the large horizontal menu of options show up on the speedometer screen which isn't happening in the video, so this probably won't work for my car.
Question: In the beginning of the video, it says "Ignition switch to 15R/acc". Not sure if I'm in the correct mode to start with. I did press the start button after getting into the car and waiting 1 minute. Nothing changes much except the center display no longer has the button that reads "Start System", and now displays the radio screen. If I press the start button once again, a ton if icons show up in the lower part of the driver's speedometer screen. Even if I perform the steps in the video in that second mode with all the icons displayed, it still stubbornly didn't work. Maybe I'll try to get the special coding via the OBD port to add the new "Energy Flow" screen, but I'm worried about whether Mercedes will void my warranty.
Refer to this thread (last post) and see if it will work for you - https://mbworld.org/forums/cls-coupe...y-battery.html

One important note is that the home & OK button combo only seems to work when the odometer is selected.

"Turn on ignition to position 1. Bring up the trip computer with the mileage screen, then press and hold the left Home button until the
menu comes up and briefly press the left touch pad."

Old 11-02-2023, 08:59 AM

CLS 450
Originally Posted by dagger22
Refer to this thread (last post) and see if it will work for you - https://mbworld.org/forums/cls-coupe...y-battery.html

One important note is that the home & OK button combo only seems to work when the odometer is selected.

"Turn on ignition to position 1. Bring up the trip computer with the mileage screen, then press and hold the left Home button until the
menu comes up and briefly press the left touch pad."
I've seen that post, and tried all that. I just tried your steps above and it didn't work either.
All this focus on getting to the stupid "workshop menu" has completely drawn attention away from my original questions in my original posting above.
Does anyone have any comments/information/feedback on the other questions?