MB AMG GTS v. Jag F Type R

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 01:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
997TTS, GT-R
MB AMG GTS v. Jag F Type R

I have narrowed down my next car to either a MB AMG GTS or a Jag F Type R. The following are my general observations regarding a few different data points:

Exterior: Both are gorgeous. The MB is sleeker and more unique/interesting; on the other hand, the long nose is not universally loved. The Jag is safer and more traditional. The MB has a great blue paint (my preference) – the Jag’s blue paint is way too dark.

Interior: The Jag’s interior is nice, but the MB interior is exceptional. Both have great seats.

HP/TQ: The Jag has 550 HP and 500 TQ. Several companies offer ECU/pully mods to push the HP up to 600-610. The MB has 500 HP and 480 TQ. I have no doubt that ECU mods will be available shortly after release to add 50-100 HP.

Transmission: The Jag’s paddle shifting automatic is quite good, but I presume the MB’s paddle shifting dual clutch sequential will be faster shifting.

RWD/AWD: My last few cars have been AWD and that is my preference, largely because I enjoy launching hard.

Weight: The 2016 AWD Jag should weigh approx 4070 lbs. The MB weighs approx 3600 lbs. That’s a BIG difference.

Handling: I will not track the car. Nevertheless, I enjoy a good handling care. According to reviews, the MB handles meaningfully better. That said, I suspect the Jag handles good enough for my occasional spirited canyon driving.

Jag test drive: I test drove a 2015 RWD Jag. It has very good power, both at launch and over 20 mph. It breaks loose on hard launches. I assume the 2016 AWD Jag will not break loose as easily. I did not take any turns.

Speculation re: MB drivability: I have not driven the MB. I am a tad concerned that the long nose of the MB may be awkward and harder to manage/navigate/gauge – I hope/assume it becomes second nature with some drive time. The RWD will likely break loose on hard launches (likely more so than the AWD Jag).

What do you think? Jag or MB?
Old 02-20-2015, 07:45 PM

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts
AMG GT C Roadster
The Jag was great until the GT-S came out. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

As for your "long nose" concerns, the SLS really was no problem to point and shoot, so I am betting the GT and GT-S will be even better.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,345 Likes on 2,065 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Originally Posted by mellowyellow
The Jag was great until the GT-S came out. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up. As for your "long nose" concerns, the SLS really was no problem to point and shoot, so I am betting the GT and GT-S will be even better.
+1

Chris Harris stated in his review that the car is point and shot, drives better than the SLS and definitely better than the F-type R.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:59 AM

S63
i hope no one ever compares a Jaguar to a Mercedes ever again,

AMG GT-S is double the car of a F type
Old 04-03-2015, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 853 Likes on 547 Posts
2022 Mercedes EQS 580
Originally Posted by SkforzaGroup
i hope no one ever compares a Jaguar to a Mercedes ever again, AMG GT-S is double the car of a F type
A little better maybe but not double. The Jag has more horsepower and better looks to start with.

The Mercedes is lighter and better handling. Plus it has a nicer interior.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GT-S for me. Beautiful car with super sound. Watch the Chris Harris video.

I see your point about AWD and the Jag certainly sounds good too. My GT-S wouldn't be a DD so AWD not as much a factor for me.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:14 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Porsche 991 GT3, 2012 cls63 Kleemann K3
Originally Posted by carlsturm
GT-S for me. Beautiful car with super sound. Watch the Chris Harris video.

I see your point about AWD and the Jag certainly sounds good too. My GT-S wouldn't be a DD so AWD not as much a factor for me.
sound?

the jag most definitely sounds better. no turbo car sounds better than a naturally aspirated counterpart, especially one with a liter more displacement.
Old 05-06-2015, 12:10 PM

Received 196 Likes on 105 Posts
2022 AMG SL63, 2015 Ferrari 458 Spyder, 2021 ALPINA B7
Red face Car and Dricer

The latest issue of Car and Driver has a 3 way test between AMG GTS, PORSCHE GTS and JAGUAR R.

One clearly can debate some of their findings ( I was truly amused by the comfort rating of the rear seats), however, the Jaguar really did not do too well.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Tifoso48
The latest issue of Car and Driver has a 3 way test between AMG GTS, PORSCHE GTS and JAGUAR R.

One clearly can debate some of their findings ( I was truly amused by the comfort rating of the rear seats), however, the Jaguar really did not do too well.
Gotta love that they tested the AMG GTS with 3.0 seconds to 60. That beats the SLS BS!
Old 05-11-2015, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
I don't have any experience with this Benz,
but the Jag is a KILLER car!!
Old 05-13-2015, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
I am in the same boat as you are except that i have added the Z06 in the mix as I will track my car occasionally.
It is hard to swallow the 50K difference between the 2. Is the car 50% better, I don't think so.
My decision will be made when I can drive a GTS. I think you should do the same and your heart will make the decision.
Old 05-14-2015, 05:49 PM

F-Type R
F-Type R owner here...looks aside, the AMG GTS will be better in almost every aspect. But that comes at a $50k difference. Whether that $50K is worth it depends on your bank account. That said, I do think the F-Type R is the best buy in the $100K range.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:18 PM

S63
Originally Posted by Wolfman
Gotta love that they tested the AMG GTS with 3.0 seconds to 60. That beats the SLS BS!
That's without a tune.

That's a turbo engine let's give 60hp - 70-80tq gap for gains. Plus downpipes. That car will eat a z06, 911, and jaguar R.

And regards to the 50k. Go see the interior as well, look at it all. Imp jaguar and corvette lacks in the interior department.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
its rainy here in so-cal today

saw a jag careened into the center divider...sad...too much power with out the handling
Old 05-15-2015, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 Porsche TTS
Wolf: care to share the test of 3.0 to 60.
Even with a tune, It will not be quicker than a Z06. 1/4 mile will be around 11.X.
Stock Z06 have been clocked at 10.42 already.
Sorry but I do not see that # happening on the GT. I wish it could.
I agree that the GT has the better interior than the other 2 but is it worth a slightly used X5M, I don' think so.

Originally Posted by SkforzaGroup
That's without a tune.

That's a turbo engine let's give 60hp - 70-80tq gap for gains. Plus downpipes. That car will eat a z06, 911, and jaguar R.

And regards to the 50k. Go see the interior as well, look at it all. Imp jaguar and corvette lacks in the interior department.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:43 PM

F-Type R
I stand corrected, the Z06 is the best buy in the $100K range. Boils down to whether you are a vette guy or not. Some people just don't like vette/mustangs/camaros.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by emericr
Wolf: care to share the test of 3.0 to 60. Even with a tune, It will not be quicker than a Z06. 1/4 mile will be around 11.X. Stock Z06 have been clocked at 10.42 already. Sorry but I do not see that # happening on the GT. I wish it could. I agree that the GT has the better interior than the other 2 but is it worth a slightly used X5M, I don' think so.
This was tested in Germany by Car & Driver when comparing the AMG GTS, the Jag and Porsche GTS (see their current mag). I don't expect people to actually match those numbers, but you will find that the car is underrated on their specs.

Either way, the compare gave the nod to the slower Porsche, but i think the P-cars will have a worthy competitor here. The Z06 is very impressive indeed but I can't get over its styling. I liked the looks at first, now it just looks overdone and easily dated.

Re. the value, those comparisons make no sense to me. You can never rationalize value just on specs., otherwise any exotic and many German cars won't make any sense to buy.

Last edited by Wolfman; 05-15-2015 at 08:30 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2021 Porsche TTS
Wolf, I understand where you come from on your value comment. If money is not an issue i.e. you have a money tree or a trust fund, the it becomes irrelevant in your car purchase decision.
For most mortals including me, I do not have that luxury and it is a big part of my decision process. I am no longer willing (or able to) to spend that much on one vehicle and have other priorities.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Received 798 Likes on 497 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
I have owned an F Type R and more than likely will own the GT-S very soon... from my aggressive test drive:

The AMG is faster to 60 with tremendous rwd grip and then would continue to pull on the Jag thru the low triple digits. There are already a few members who have posted 127.xx traps in the low 11's with this car. That's incredible and I wanted to see if the car really felt like that and it did immediately as I got her up to heavy speeds. The interior comparison is no contest. The Jag has faux carbon fiber and an antiquated Nav system. The cockpit of the AMG is exactly that; a cockpit that surrounds you and makes you feel like you are in a race car. The Jag is more open which some may like but has some terrible side blind spots. Both seats are comfortable but the AMG has better bolstering and appearance. When I comes to sound Id call it a toss up. The Jag has an amazing sounding exhaust with tons of firecracker like pops. The AMG is more throaty thru the ranges and emits burbles and cannon like expolosions. Both are great sound cars. I felt more confident immediately in the AMG with its stability and rear weight bias at 47/53. The balance is clear vs the Jag which tends to get a bit wild (I had a rwd 15). The steering in these cars is key. The AMG is hydraulic and precise while the Jag oversteers to a level of excessiveness. This is where the driveability of the AMG shines along with the weight bias which allows the AMG to launch incredibly well. The ZF8 in the Jag is good- very good but still not at the level and efficiency of the DCT. The drive train loss on the Jag is standard for a traditional tq converting tranny (I dyno'd mine several times) and we all know the DCT does a great job of getting the power to the street. I would argue that I have one of the best launching RWD cars currently in that of the GT3 and the GTS will give it a run for its money. On the track it will be a different story but I hear, read, and have seen videos which lead me to say the GTS will be just fine but still not in the GT3's dugout. But that's ok for those who want a street car with some trackability vs a race car for the street. Or one can have both

Obviously pricing has an impact for most and the Jag wins the bang for the buck but it wont for me as long as I get an Edition 1.

Last edited by Vic55; 05-19-2015 at 11:30 AM.