I Picked Up My Edition 1 GT- S Today!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
I Picked Up My Edition 1 GT- S Today!

I picked it up today. Photos do not do the color justice.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:47 PM

Received 186 Likes on 100 Posts
2022 AMG SL63, 2015 Ferrari 458 Spyder, 2021 ALPINA B7
Smile Looking good!

Congratulations - she looks fantastic.

Your real "in the flesh" photos are a lot better than the press photos.

My Edition 1 will hopefully be at the dealer tomorrow or the day after.

Enjoy in good health!
Old 04-30-2015, 12:22 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
N/A
Originally Posted by jrcart
I picked it up today. Photos do not do the color justice.

Love it, congratulations jr! Tell us all about the first drive impressions.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts
c63
congrates jr whats it like compared to you sls black?? when it was standard
Old 04-30-2015, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by spyder987
Love it, congratulations jr! Tell us all about the first drive impressions.
The car feels much improved over the SLS, it is a much smaller car with a more balanced feel. The overall build quality is noticeably better. Things most of people would not notice unless you owned an SLS. Things like welds, joints, rivets and fasteners are all much cleaner. The transmission shifts quicker, especially in race mode where it lets you rev the motor and shift anywhere in the power band you choose.

Things I love about the car
The sound, it sounds even better than the old NA 6.2L motor IMO. There is an exhaust bypass valve which you can switch from quiet to loud.

The color of the car, Selenite Grey is amazing in the sunlight.

The black anodized tailpipes are awesome!

The CF roof is flawless and very high quality.

The seats are great, much better than my SLS BS seats.

The overall fit and finish is nicer than what we have seen on any previous MB model.

Things I am not thrilled about
The fixed rear wing is black painted plastic not CF, looks cheap and crappy next to the gorgeous CF roof, I will be sourcing a real CF wing very shortly AMG dropped the ball on that big time.

Piano black interior trim, looks great but I hate it because it finger prints easily and looks like crap after a five mile drive, with all the controls and buttons on that console it is impossible not to muck it up with finger prints. Interior should have been CF, I will be converting mine to factory CF trip parts.

Chrome door handles??? When did the AMG design center hire Stevie Wonder? Who is the genius that put chrome door handles on this car? FAIL!

Edition 1 should have come with carbon ceramic brakes.

I also have to report that I had some sort of electronics issues last night. The car's instrument cluster lit up with a bunch of warning lights, I lost power steering and power brakes and the car went into a strange limp mode. The car would not restart with keyless go. I was only traveling about 30 mph when this happened and not beating on the car. They are diagnosing the issue at the dealership this morning. I will keep everyone posted on what it turns out to be.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:47 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,101 Likes on 1,465 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
Looks good man... Wow... Gremlins already ... Sux
Old 04-30-2015, 11:04 AM

Excellent feedback

JR,

Sounds like on balance you are very pleased with your new toy, and you have a bit of a project with getting certain pieces to your liking.

BTW, I very much agree on the wing and internal CF - I have a feeling that some of the details were determined by the bean counters and not the AMG brand team.

Could you please share when you have found a source for the cf wing and also what you find out on retro fitting the interior carbon.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
AMG GT-S
Congrats on the car! I love that color. I had the same electronic issue with the same lights. It is the auxiliary battery for all of the electronic systems, ie. keyless start, blind spot assist, etc. The part was sent from Germany for mine and should arrive tomorrow morning. Bring it back to the dealer so you don't get stranded like I did.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BWAMGSF
Congrats on the car! I love that color. I had the same electronic issue with the same lights. It is the auxiliary battery for all of the electronic systems, ie. keyless start, blind spot assist, etc. The part was sent from Germany for mine and should arrive tomorrow morning. Bring it back to the dealer so you don't get stranded like I did.
I have heard of a couple cars having this issue now, it's a shame. I did not get stranded because I knew about the secret key ignition in the glove box, your dealer should have told you about it. You would have been able to bypass the keyless go system and driven home in limp mode. my car is at the dealer now, they came and picked it up from my house this morning.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Tifoso48
JR,

Sounds like on balance you are very pleased with your new toy, and you have a bit of a project with getting certain pieces to your liking.

BTW, I very much agree on the wing and internal CF - I have a feeling that some of the details were determined by the bean counters and not the AMG brand team.

Could you please share when you have found a source for the cf wing and also what you find out on retro fitting the interior carbon.
Weistec has developed a CF rear wing along with some other CF aero parts. I am not sure what they want made public so I can not comment any further but you should see the parts on my car as soon as I get the car in their hands. I am sure their marketing team will be doing some press releases on their entire line of GT parts very shortly.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:39 AM

N/A
The car feels much improved over the SLS, it is a much smaller car with a more balanced feel. The overall build quality is noticeably better. Things most of people would not notice unless you owned an SLS. Things like welds, joints, rivets and fasteners are all much cleaner. The transmission shifts quicker, especially in race mode where it lets you rev the motor and shift anywhere in the power band you choose.

Things I love about the car
The sound, it sounds even better than the old NA 6.2L motor IMO. There is an exhaust bypass valve which you can switch from quiet to loud.

The color of the car, Selenite Grey is amazing in the sunlight.

The black anodized tailpipes are awesome!

The CF roof is flawless and very high quality.

The seats are great, much better than my SLS BS seats.

The overall fit and finish is nicer than what we have seen on any previous MB model.

Things I am not thrilled about
The fixed rear wing is black painted plastic not CF, looks cheap and crappy next to the gorgeous CF roof, I will be sourcing a real CF wing very shortly AMG dropped the ball on that big time.

Piano black interior trim, looks great but I hate it because it finger prints easily and looks like crap after a five mile drive, with all the controls and buttons on that console it is impossible not to muck it up with finger prints. Interior should have been CF, I will be converting mine to factory CF trip parts.

Chrome door handles??? When did the AMG design center hire Stevie Wonder? Who is the genius that put chrome door handles on this car? FAIL!

Edition 1 should have come with carbon ceramic brakes.

I also have to report that I had some sort of electronics issues last night. The car's instrument cluster lit up with a bunch of warning lights, I lost power steering and power brakes and the car went into a strange limp mode. The car would not restart with keyless go. I was only traveling about 30 mph when this happened and not beating on the car. They are diagnosing the issue at the dealership this morning. I will keep everyone posted on what it turns out to be.
Jr -

Sorry to hear about the electronics issue. Hope that is resolved quickly for you.

In regards to the chrome door handles that is because all the US cars have keyless-go and the only finisher for the handle with that feature is chrome.

In regards to the black diamond interior trim I started a separate thread some time ago hoping to get others to chime in with similar observations as yours but no one choose to say anything.

Glad to hear that the grey looks awesome. That is what I have spec'd.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by spyder987
Jr -

Sorry to hear about the electronics issue. Hope that is resolved quickly for you.

In regards to the chrome door handles that is because all the US cars have keyless-go and the only finisher for the handle with that feature is chrome.

In regards to the black diamond interior trim I started a separate thread some time ago hoping to get others to chime in with similar observations as yours but no one choose to say anything.

Glad to hear that the grey looks awesome. That is what I have spec'd.
In my opinion they missed the mark slightly on the US market Edition 1 cars. They cheaped out in a few areas. The non-cf rear wing is a sin. No CCB's is a bigger sin. No cf interior is a fail as well. The AMG people commenting over on the PL claim it was so they could meet a certain price point but I do not think people would complain about an extra $10k or even $20k sticker price. I would assume most people that can afford a $150K car can also afford a $160k car, right? If you ask me the Edition 1 cars were not equiped with CCB brakes and CF trim because they could not get enough from their suppliers in time for launch. I have heard through the grapevine(from the OEM brake vendor) that that supply issue for the CCB's was an issue. I have a lot of connections and talk to a lot of people and there are a lot of stories that do not line up on these topics.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:17 PM

AMG GT-S
I knew about the hidden key and the car was luckily already in my garage as the issue happened. I was trying to leave and go for a drive and it happened. As of 10 minutes ago I received a text from the shop foreman saying they were instructed to check several wires and circuits and report back for further analysis.
Old 04-30-2015, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BWAMGSF
I knew about the hidden key and the car was luckily already in my garage as the issue happened. I was trying to leave and go for a drive and it happened. As of 10 minutes ago I received a text from the shop foreman saying they were instructed to check several wires and circuits and report back for further analysis.
Question for you, do you recall having your emergency brake turn itself on ever? Before I had my issue I was at home, went out to my car to leave for dinner and when I started the car it displayed a warning thatsaid "turn off emergency brake" or something along those lines...the only problem is I never activated my E brake. I did not think much of it and thought maybe I accidentally hit the E brake button and activated it. Well this morning when I went down to the garage the E brake activated itself again. I reported this to AMG so they can look into if it may be related. These cars do have an electronic emergency brake so I guess it it not out of the question.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 399 Likes on 277 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Haha, still looks amazing! Hope everything turns out fine with car.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:19 PM

AMG GT-S
The parking brake will engage itself when the car is in park. I thought it was weird, but it is supposed to do that. If you are in "c" mode you might have to release it manually, but other modes it should release when you put foot on accelerator.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 G55, 2012 C63 BS
In my opinion they missed the mark slightly on the US market Edition 1 cars. They cheaped out in a few areas. The non-cf rear wing is a sin. No CCB's is a bigger sin. No cf interior is a fail as well. The AMG people commenting over on the PL claim it was so they could meet a certain price point but I do not think people would complain about an extra $10k or even $20k sticker price. I would assume most people that can afford a $150K car can also afford a $160k car, right? If you ask me the Edition 1 cars were not equiped with CCB brakes and CF trim because they could not get enough from their suppliers in time for launch. I have heard through the grapevine(from the OEM brake vendor) that that supply issue for the CCB's was an issue. I have a lot of connections and talk to a lot of people and there are a lot of stories that do not line up on these topics.
I agree with you100%, can't wait to see the Weistec lineup, better star making my Christmas list.
BTW Jim, we need to put more pressure on the PL about the Ceramic brakes.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 G55, 2012 C63 BS
Jim
Any update on your car?
Old 04-30-2015, 02:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by G55AMG
Jim
Any update on your car?
I did hear from the dealer and spoke with their AMG tech, he said the codes that they were seeing were ESP(traction control) related. I was not sliding or drifting the car when the problem occurred so this comes as a surprise to me. Other than that bit of info I have no additional updates and they can not tell me when I will be getting my car back.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:05 PM

N/A
JR -

I believe the $129,900 price point is critical to try and attract potential GT3 buyers with a base price $130,400. So yes only $500 but optics do matter. And on top of that a lot of std options (e.g. LED headlights) that are very expensive in P-land.

Specifically for the Edition 1 cars, yes, probably a higher price point for most is inconsequential. I too would have liked to see the console surround in carbon fiber instead of only the console insert being either matt or gloss.
Old 04-30-2015, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3,303 Likes on 2,049 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
Annoying to have some electronic issues out but great to hear what a hell of a deal this car is based on your comments comparing it to the SLS BS.

Enjoy!
Old 04-30-2015, 04:54 PM

Received 158 Likes on 116 Posts
2018 E63S Wagon
Question for you, do you recall having your emergency brake turn itself on ever? Before I had my issue I was at home, went out to my car to leave for dinner and when I started the car it displayed a warning thatsaid "turn off emergency brake" or something along those lines...the only problem is I never activated my E brake. I did not think much of it and thought maybe I accidentally hit the E brake button and activated it. Well this morning when I went down to the garage the E brake activated itself again. I reported this to AMG so they can look into if it may be related. These cars do have an electronic emergency brake so I guess it it not out of the question.
The past couple of cars I bought do this. The i8 would apply the emergency brake every time you put it in park, and would only automatically release it if you had buckled your seatbelt before putting it in gear. So moving it around the driveway and out of the garage to wash was a pain because you'd sit down, turn the car on, put it in gear the feel it pull against the parking brake and chime at you. My '15 Range Rover does it to, but they don't require you put your seatbelt on first, it just releases the e-brake if you put it in gear.
Old 04-30-2015, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 68 Likes on 44 Posts
C63 507 AMG DA Car #19
Thanks for the write up JRC.

I can't wait to see what you and WT do with this platform!
9's in your future?
Old 04-30-2015, 07:26 PM

Talking Very cool German after market CF trim for AMG GT

Take a look at this - I think very nice and stylish!

I have sent them a note to get an idea on pricing and availability.

http://www.emercedesbenz.com/autos/m...-amg-gt-phots/
Old 05-01-2015, 12:03 PM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,412 Likes on 2,854 Posts
2012 CLS63
very nice, bummer about the issues........which car to drive today? or maybe taking the helicopter to the office? wait......maybe the office is where ever you are at the time?

at any rate: hell of a collection!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I Picked Up My Edition 1 GT- S Today!