Sponsored by:

Strong Rattle from Rear Hatch / Shaky wheel at 60+

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 AMG GT-S
Strong Rattle from Rear Hatch / Shaky wheel at 60+

So in addition to my unsolved Turbo problem, I have had the car at 2 dealers for 3 weeks trying to get a rear hatch rattle fixed. It sounds like the hatch is rattling from the rear when going over bumps. I also have the Pano roof.

Also, i get a decent amount of shaking from the steering wheel. Had 1 tire replaced and, all 4 balance, and aligned. Nothing bent but vibration still there. Any ideas?

Anyone else experiencing the same thing?
Old 08-18-2016, 11:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
The rear rattle cld be the cargo cover thing..just tap it and see if that is what it is...secondly there is like a fuse or something in the passenger side area where the speaker is by the seatbelt..remove that cover and tap on that area and see if that's the rattle...those were my culprits
Old 08-19-2016, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
The cross bar thing behind the seats in cargo area rattled in mine and made all sorts of annoying noises(that was just one of many rattles), spray foam insulation worked wonders but it's messy so don't do it anywhere near the car. Wheel shaking at certain speeds is usually tire or wheel related but since you have had them recently balanced it could actually be internal in the tire such as a belt or construction defect....or they simply screwed up when they balanced them. I would take it back and put one of their techs in the passenger seat, show them and have them re-spin balance all four wheels/tires. Good Luck, hope you get it sorted out.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:06 PM

Received 186 Likes on 100 Posts
2022 AMG SL63, 2015 Ferrari 458 Spyder, 2021 ALPINA B7
Cure for the rattle

Open your rear hatch and you will notice to black protruding plastic "thingies".

Turn them anti -clockwise two full turns and see if that cures it. You may have to go one more full turn.

Remember -anti- clockwise - you want these things to come out more and by doing this push the hatch a bit upwards.

It sure did the Trick for me.

Cheers!
Old 08-22-2016, 10:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 AMG GTS
Also experienced this on a car I test drove...
Old 08-23-2016, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 356 Likes on 202 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by Tifoso48
Open your rear hatch and you will notice to black protruding plastic "thingies".

Turn them anti -clockwise two full turns and see if that cures it. You may have to go one more full turn.

Remember -anti- clockwise - you want these things to come out more and by doing this push the hatch a bit upwards.

It sure did the Trick for me.

Cheers!
I assume the "thingies" are the struts
Old 08-24-2016, 10:45 PM

Received 186 Likes on 100 Posts
2022 AMG SL63, 2015 Ferrari 458 Spyder, 2021 ALPINA B7
are thingies - struts?

I apologize for use clearly non technical language.

When you open the the rear hatch, there are two black plastic spheres one on either side - no idea what to call them.

You can turn them and they " arrest" each half turn.

They push the hatch away from the body and eliminates the rattling sound.
Old 10-23-2016, 06:32 PM

16 AMG GTS, 10 AUDI R8 v10, 16 Porsche GT4, 09 R35GTR Switzer, 14 E63 S-Amg, 11 Panamera Turbo
Same rear hatch rattle problem .

I turned the trunk stoppers on the rear hatch counter clock wise but no cigar. I am going to look for the fuse thing on the passenger side. That is where the noise is coming from. I took mine to my local dealer and they couldn't figure it out. If one of you fellas have an answer for the rattle let me know. It's no the cross bar and it's not the trunk foldout cover. It's something loose and I just can't figure it out.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 538 Likes on 337 Posts
2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by Ali D
I turned the trunk stoppers on the rear hatch counter clock wise but no cigar. I am going to look for the fuse thing on the passenger side. That is where the noise is coming from. I took mine to my local dealer and they couldn't figure it out. If one of you fellas have an answer for the rattle let me know. It's no the cross bar and it's not the trunk foldout cover. It's something loose and I just can't figure it out.
So you are thinking definitely in the passenger side rear of the car.

1. Pull the floor panel and verify everyhing in the spare tire well is secure and untouched since the factory install. If you are unsure pull everything including the spare and the inspection panel and go for a ride.

2. See if the passenger side rear speaker is loose by pulling the vertical panel and inspecting the entire area, connections, wiring and fasteners.

3. Stick a small piece of cardboard in the privacy and package shades to see if the noise goes away.

4. Grab the bar behind your seat and see if it is loose.

5. See if the hatch latch is tight.

It's difficult not being near the car but these are starting points.

Can you recruit one of your kids to ride back there andidentify/confirm exactly where the noice is coming from?

Good luck.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 356 Likes on 202 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by JSwan724
So you are thinking definitely in the passenger side rear of the car.

1. Pull the floor panel and verify everyhing in the spare tire well is secure and untouched since the factory install. If you are unsure pull everything including the spare and the inspection panel and go for a ride.

2. See if the passenger side rear speaker is loose by pulling the vertical panel and inspecting the entire area, connections, wiring and fasteners.

3. Stick a small piece of cardboard in the privacy and package shades to see if the noise goes away.

4. Grab the bar behind your seat and see if it is loose.

5. See if the hatch latch is tight.

It's difficult not being near the car but these are starting points.

Can you recruit one of your kids to ride back there andidentify/confirm exactly where the noice is coming from?

Good luck.
Spare Tire???
Old 11-04-2016, 03:28 PM

16 AMG GTS, 10 AUDI R8 v10, 16 Porsche GT4, 09 R35GTR Switzer, 14 E63 S-Amg, 11 Panamera Turbo
Hatch rattle problem is fixed.

Thank you to all your replies. After numerous hours of trying to figure out what the rattle problem was we have the fix! It was the plastic piece under the brake light. the brake light casing and the plastic hatch moulding are both hard plastics. While driving especially on our horrible toronto roads the the 2 pieces would rub and make a disturbing rattle. So friends if you have a GTS and have a rattle that isn't going away it must be the same issue. I maguivered to make the noise go away with masking tape and paper towels in between the 2 pieces. My dealer using a much nicer velcro black tape and wrapped the brake light plastic casing and the hatch trim piece. They also used the same tape in between the metal hatch and trim piece. Now it's driving perfect. I have tracked my car a few times over the 2500 miles I have put on it so maybe that loosen up the rear hatch plastic trim. Hopefully, this helps any of you fellow GTS owners.
Old 11-04-2016, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 700 Likes on 533 Posts
R Nine T
Can't have those nasty noises.... great diligence.