Sponsored by:

Dealers Who Lie?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 06:30 PM

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts
GT3
Dealers Who Lie?

What's up with some of these dealers? Do they lie on purpose or are they just in the dark?

Just got off the phone with one down in SoCal who told me the GTR is a limited production car and there are less than 500 allocated to the entire USA. Period. Forever. As in they will not make more in 2018 or any year going forward.

I told him that isn't what other dealers are telling me. And his response was, "Well then THEY would be able to sell you one. Goodbye."

Anybody have the contact info for someone in the know? An AMG GM or rep or someone? I'm getting different stories from different dealers. I know this car is in demand. But I'd like an honest answer for once.

Last edited by FourT6and2; 09-19-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:39 PM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 AMG GT
Originally Posted by FourT6and2
What's up with some of these dealers? Do they lie on purpose or are they just in the dark?

Just got off the phone with one down in SoCal who told me the GTR is a limited production car and there are less than 500 allocated to the entire USA. Period. Forever. As in they will not make more in 2018 or any year going forward.

I told him that isn't what other dealers are telling me. And his response was, "Well then THEY would be able to sell you one. Goodbye."

Anybody have the contact info for someone in the know? An AMG GM or rep or someone? I'm getting different stories from different dealers. I know this car is in demand. But I'd like an honest answer for once.
My first salesman at my dealership, let's call him Louie, always rubbed me the wrong way. He would say the most condescending things to me, but I would do the same back to him, we would laugh about it, and make a deal. He sold me 2 cars. I have learned to do business with all types. His brother was the GM and he wasn't that bad if you weren't a sensitive type.

Well, one day I go back and he's no longer there. Then I'm told a story of how a average looking guy walked in and said "I'm in a real hurry and cannot stay, but I would like you to find me 2 cars with these specs". Louie basically told him he wouldn't waste his time. The guy says "really here's my card. Find these vehicles for me and send me the info please" Louie handed the guys card back to him and says no. Well this guy was the CEO of an oil company. He then contacted the CEO of automation. Then Louie was history.

I wouldn't worry about it. That guy will get his one day.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:42 PM

GT3
Originally Posted by guynamedsean
My first salesman at my dealership, let's call him Louie, always rubbed me the wrong way. He would say the most condescending things to me, but I would do the same back to him, we would laugh about it, and make a deal. He sold me 2 cars. I have learned to do business with all types. His brother was the GM and he wasn't that bad if you weren't a sensitive type.

Well, one day I go back and he's no longer there. Then I'm told a story of how a average looking guy walked in and said "I'm in a real hurry and cannot stay, but I would like you to find me 2 cars with these specs". Louie basically told him he wouldn't waste his time. The guy says "really here's my card. Find these vehicles for me and send me the info please" Louie handed the guys card back to him and says no. Well this guy was the CEO of an oil company. He then contacted the CEO of automation. Then Louie was history.

I wouldn't worry about it. That guy will get his one day.
Ha, good story!

A good buddy of mine growing up used to be a car salesman. He's told me stories... I get it's a cutthroat environment. But when I walk into a dealer or call one up and I tell them I have a blank check in hand, I just need the car... and they tell me to **** off, it really makes me scratch my head.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:26 AM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
C63
Getting an honest answer from car dealers is super easy. Say "I'll buy this car if you put that in writing." If they refuse to put that there are only 500 GTRs in the contract, then you have your answer. If they do and more than 500 are made, you have legal recourse to return the car.

I've had several sales people present "alternative facts". However, they wouldn't put those alternative facts in writing, so I disregard them.
Old 09-20-2017, 05:01 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Yugo Zastava
Originally Posted by austintipton
Getting an honest answer from car dealers is super easy. Say "I'll buy this car if you put that in writing." If they refuse to put that there are only 500 GTRs in the contract, then you have your answer. If they do and more than 500 are made, you have legal recourse to return the car.

I've had several sales people present "alternative facts". However, they wouldn't put those alternative facts in writing, so I disregard them.
Very good advice, and applicable to many other aspects of life - thank you !
Old 09-21-2017, 06:18 PM
AHI

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
AMG GTR
So its not true?

how many are being made? anybody have the actual answer?
Old 09-21-2017, 06:37 PM

GT3
Originally Posted by AHI
So its not true?

how many are being made? anybody have the actual answer?
As many as are being ordered. It's not limited production. If you order one and put a deposit down, one will be built. But it might take 8 months lol.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:41 PM

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
2017 AMG GT
Good news. A Nigerian businessman just emailed me saying that if I wore transfer a 20k deposit to a bank account, he can have a GTR delivered to me promptly!