Sponsored by:

GT R Suspension malfunction?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 01:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG GT R
GT R Suspension malfunction?

Anyone experienced this error message? Suspension malfunction. I have 800 miles on my car, tried to restart the car and didn't help. Suspension seems still adjustable. i tried to check the owner's manual, but didnt find anything about this error message. Maybe some software problems?

Last edited by treatureh; 04-02-2018 at 01:21 AM.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 358 Likes on 204 Posts
2022 AMG SL63
Originally Posted by treatureh
Anyone experienced this error message? Suspension malfunction. I have 800 miles on my car, tried to restart the car and didn't help. Suspension seems still adjustable. i tried to check the owner's manual, but didnt find anything about this error message. Maybe some software problems?
I had a GTS and have a GTC and from time to time the cars would throw an error message and a restart would take care of it. I would always do what you did and take a picture of it because sometimes the tech hadn't seen it before and it got cleared from the computer somehow. The fact that yours persists is reason to get it in right away. Even though it still is functional. Tricky little beasts.
The following 3 users liked this post by California John:
JSwan724 (05-07-2020), ronin amg (04-02-2018), treatureh (04-04-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 11:22 AM

AMG GT R
^^^^^ thanks for the input.

Took it to the local dealer. It turns out it’s the active transmission mount. And they were saying they had a gts had same problem, maybe it’s a common issue? Will get the car back in few days.
Old 04-03-2018, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 868 Likes on 451 Posts
2023 Urus Performante - 2021 Ferrari Roma - 2017 Ferrari 488 GTB - 2022 GLE 63 S Coupe
Please follow up and let us know what they did. Are they replacing that mount or they're not sure yet?
Old 04-03-2018, 12:05 PM

AMG GT R
Yes, they will overnight the parts and replace it tmr. I will keep you guys updated.
The following 2 users liked this post by treatureh:
benzbell (04-03-2018), thebishman (04-03-2018)
Old 04-03-2018, 11:33 PM

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
2018 AMG GTS, 2015 911 GT3, 2017 E300, 2014 X3 35i
Glad it’s a simple fix.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2017 Mercedes AMG GTR
Originally Posted by treatureh
Yes, they will overnight the parts and replace it tmr. I will keep you guys updated.
Hi. Got a GTR with ~13k km on the clock with same problem. Mechanics are still diagnosing and trying to find out what it is... Did the replacement of the transmission mount help in your case? (it's strange that a suspension error leads to a transmission mount ;/)
Old 05-06-2020, 08:14 PM

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts
'18 AMG GTC, '96 BMW 318i, '10 Audi Q5 (wife)
I had a similar issue and posted a few weeks ago https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roa...ml#post8034213
It was an engine mount short in my case, not transmission. The Mercedes Palm Beach replaced it under warrantee.

The following users liked this post:
Armen383 (05-07-2020)
Old 05-08-2020, 10:48 AM
AHI

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
AMG GTR
My GTR was at the dealer for nearly 2 months because of this issue (last July). They replaced mounts, and other things, still couldn't get it solved. Finally they noticed a damaged or kinked wire leading into the harness to be the culprit.
Old 05-08-2020, 12:48 PM

2017 Mercedes AMG GTR
Originally Posted by AHI
My GTR was at the dealer for nearly 2 months because of this issue (last July). They replaced mounts, and other things, still couldn't get it solved. Finally they noticed a damaged or kinked wire leading into the harness to be the culprit.
Well that is reassuring ))) Mine is in the works for 4 days now... hoping for the best.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:26 PM

Received 144 Likes on 75 Posts
AMG GT-S, AMG C43, GLK350, Nissan GT-R, 718 Cayman
I had one of my active engine mounts fail and replaced under warranty on my 2016 GT-S last year. My car is out of warranty starting next week, so hoping it does not happen again.

Plus my car is going in for a driveshaft replacement next week, at least covered by the factory. Can't imagine what that would cost.
Old 05-08-2020, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 701 Likes on 534 Posts
R Nine T
Oh man. , did it just drop out on road dead?
Old 05-08-2020, 05:58 PM

Received 144 Likes on 75 Posts
AMG GT-S, AMG C43, GLK350, Nissan GT-R, 718 Cayman
Thank goodness no! I got a recall letter based on the serial number of my car, but the dealer had to look via some inspection area to inspect the driveshaft itself to confirm it had a serial number in the series that needed replacement due to a manufacturing defect. But dead in the water is what happens I was told when the carbon fiber shaft separates from the aluminum end, so you wouldn't want to be on a far-away trip and have that happen.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:31 PM

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
GTC roadster

I have the GTC and I just was in the dealership for the same reason and for service
they just change the engine mounts for the engine suspension and got fixed after 3 days
Old 05-09-2020, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 538 Likes on 337 Posts
2024 AMG G63
Originally Posted by descartesfool
I had one of my active engine mounts fail and replaced under warranty on my 2016 GT-S last year. My car is out of warranty starting next week, so hoping it does not happen again.

Plus my car is going in for a driveshaft replacement next week, at least covered by the factory. Can't imagine what that would cost.

FWIW: I think your car, in or out of warranty, is eligible for factory recalls, especially safety ones.

Regards

Jerry

Old 05-12-2020, 07:41 AM

2017 Mercedes AMG GTR
Got update from the dealership... The good thing: they seem to be pretty sure it's the active transmission mount. The bad thing: no stock in Germany and wait time is ~1 month. Sometimes I really appreciate that my other 2 cars are boring Lexus'es...
rt7085 (05-13-2020)
Old 11-11-2021, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GT-R
Originally Posted by AHI
@AHI and all others impacts. I have an AMG GT-R and have exactly the same problem. I got already replaces 1 active Engine Mount and the 2 rear Transmission mounts plus the ECU Unit in the trunk responsible for control. Nothing helped except that now the error message does not stay up all the time but disappears either during drive activity or at the next engine start. Sometimes it is more persistent and last for couple of days but then disappears again. I visited 3 dealers alreay and none has a clue how to fix the problem. I guess it is a connectivity problem somewhere in the cabling tree that is why @Ali I would be very interested in getting more details on the exact position of the "damaged or kinked wire leading into the harness". Can you help me with some picture on where to locate this cable?
Old 11-11-2021, 04:10 PM
AHI

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
AMG GTR
Originally Posted by BavariaR
@AHI and all others impacts. I have an AMG GT-R and have exactly the same problem. I got already replaces 1 active Engine Mount and the 2 rear Transmission mounts plus the ECU Unit in the trunk responsible for control. Nothing helped except that now the error message does not stay up all the time but disappears either during drive activity or at the next engine start. Sometimes it is more persistent and last for couple of days but then disappears again. I visited 3 dealers alreay and none has a clue how to fix the problem. I guess it is a connectivity problem somewhere in the cabling tree that is why @Ali I would be very interested in getting more details on the exact position of the "damaged or kinked wire leading into the harness". Can you help me with some picture on where to locate this cable?

I really wish I could help. I wouldn't even know where to begin to show you. I just remember it was a kink in a harness. You are more than welcome to have them contact my service manager Depen Mistry at Mercedes Benz Maple (Canada) and ask him about my (A l l e n Ahi) car, and how they fixed the issue.
Old 11-11-2021, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG GT-R
Originally Posted by AHI
I really wish I could help. I wouldn't even know where to begin to show you. I just remember it was a kink in a harness. You are more than welcome to have them contact my service manager Depen Mistry at Mercedes Benz Maple (Canada) and ask him about my (A l l e n Ahi) car, and how they fixed the issue.
Thanks anyway.... then it will be kind of luck if here in Germany they manage to find "the kink in the harness". Guess due to language barrier nobody will want to call to Canada :-) This kink can be anywhere and it they would first need to "dig" the harness free and measure all the electrical individual lines in it.... oh man I which myself good luck. Hop they will cover the work under extended warranty or goodwill
Old 11-11-2021, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 879 Likes on 453 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
There are numerous failures that produce this suspension malfunction, not just the few mentioned in this thread.

I too had this fault. In my case they found a faulty gear selector. Replaced it and I was on my way.
Old 11-12-2021, 11:05 AM

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts
2007 S65 AMG-Sold, 2007 SL55 P030 - 2016 GL450 - - 2017 AMG GTS - Sold - 2015 AMG S65
Originally Posted by BavariaR
In order to eliminate your suspension error message, if it's caused by a bad wire you'll have to find your damaged or kinked cable/wire and you will have to trace (find the continuity) from each engine mount/transmission mount to the ECU. The MB SDS/Xentry diagnostics can not tell you if a wire is detective it will only indicate an error code caused by the sending or receiving component (ECU).

When I had an issue (on my the instrument panel - when selection AMG Mode) whereby my engine temperature gauge was showing -40F (which is the default # when it is not working) I first replaced all the sensors responsible for sending a signal to the ECU, when that did not resolve the issue I made a pin out schematic of all the wires coming to the ECU (see the link below) and that is how I found that the wire coming from my engine crankcase sensor did not have (was damaged/kinked/broken) the required continuity to input pin on the ECU. By running a replacement wire along the outside of the original loom the issue got resolved.

In your case the wiring continuity may need to checked from each one of the engine/transmission mounts back to your ECU.

Here is the link to the issue and how I resolved the issue dealing with a bad wire > https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roa...ml#post8376873

Good luck - Best H
BavariaR (11-13-2021)
Old 02-02-2022, 04:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 sold, 1972 911S, '58 Speedster, 2021 GLE 63S, Turbo 997, Aston Martin V8 Vantage 69 911 Hotrod
Just posted this under GLE AMG 63S and was led to this thread. Sounds like multiple reasons for the warning.

2021 GLE 63S 15K miles since new has been throwing out following message in yellow

Suspension MALFUNCTION MAX SPEED 50MPH and it shows a little yellow shock absorber. Recent service showed no faults. Happens several times a week. If I turn car off
and right back on it goes away.

Any ideas. Anyone having this issue.