Sponsored by:

PPI on car with under 1k miles?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 04:05 AM

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GT-R
PPI on car with under 1k miles?

I'm getting ready to pick something up, not 100% sure yet but still leaning towards an AMG GT or 991 GT3 variant. Two cars I'm looking at, car faxes are clean and both cars have less than 600 miles and of course under warranty. Is a PPI really necessary with such low mileage? I'm out of state and wouldn't be able to examine the cars in person btw. Thanks.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:05 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
2016 amg gts/ 2016 S63 coupe
Originally Posted by nrgy
I'm getting ready to pick something up, not 100% sure yet but still leaning towards an AMG GT or 991 GT3 variant. Two cars I'm looking at, car faxes are clean and both cars have less than 600 miles and of course under warranty. Is a PPI really necessary with such low mileage? I'm out of state and wouldn't be able to examine the cars in person btw. Thanks.
Goin off my experience I just bought a gt out of state with low mileage and didn’t get ppi and haven’t had any issues and car is still under warranty it can’t hurt to get it done but 600 is low are you goin thru a dealer or private sale ?
Old 07-12-2019, 07:07 AM

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts
Corvette C8 997S, Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit Reserve BMW 750 S560 Coupe
A lot can happen in 600 miles and Carfax's are not always right and it can take years before you see accidents show up on one. If it were me it would depend on who I was buying the car from, I have owned over 478 cars, and I have never had a PPI done on any of them. If this were a forum like Ferrarichat (I have gone to look at cars for forum members many times), you could ask a local person to go take a look. Not sure how many people on here have almost 5 decades experience rebuilding cars, but if either of the cars are close to me, I would be glad to have a look. I have over 100 patients for product related to automobiles and have built a lot of one of a kind cars, and race cars as well. I have seen PPI's done on cars and the buyer bought them, and I would not have, so it can go either way. I have a GTS and a modified 991 C4S (it is in storage now, one of my winter fun cars was Michelin Alpin 4's on it), and they are in my mind very different cars, I assume to have had a decent amount of seat time in both. Since you are not asking about which one to buy, I will give you an opinion. Good luck
Old 07-12-2019, 10:43 AM

AMG GT-R
Thanks for the input guys. All the cars I've been looking at have been from dealers. And I agree, a lot can happen just driving off the lot, but these cars look super clean and I'd have to have some sort of bad luck I think to be caught with a major surprise. Unfortunately none of the cars are near PA but I appreciate the offer carnut1!

And I actually did post a separate thread a couple months back regarding the Porsche vs AMG and didn't want to bore you all and ask yet again which one to buy ha! It's clear in my mind I may have to flip a coin because I'm about as 50/50 split as I've ever been on two cars.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
If these two cars have been dealership cars; ‘Demo’s/Loaner’s’, etc. then obviously you’d be covered under the existing OEM warranty, and in fact you could ask for them to be covered by the manufacturer CPO program to get you more years/miles of OEM warranty coverage. I would also ask for in writing, that neither car had suffered any ‘bodywork’ or mechanical damage/repair.

Good luck!
Old 07-12-2019, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 382 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
I'm excited to see nrgy in an AMG! I remember your C63 (if you still have it) was very tastefully modded and I would look to it for inspiration and ideas for my C63. Im sure your car will be nicely done!
Old 07-15-2019, 01:21 AM

AMG GT-R
Thanks Bish, I've narrowed down a couple of options which I'll be actively pursuing this week.

Hey ZeiphyrAMG, I remember seeing you often on the C63 boards! Congrats on the GTR, I didn't know you picked one up. I actually just sold my C63 to a friend a couple days ago after 11 years of ownership. Appreciate the comment on the mods I did, I tried to keep them tasteful and oem looking. To tell you the truth, I don't think the GTR needs much for mods? I might black out the badges and chrome trim, but otherwise I think it looks beastly as it sits. But I hope to be joining you guys this week!
Old 07-16-2019, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 382 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Hey nrgy, thanks man. Sad to see your gorgeous C63 go. Yes I bought it last November. I don't really think I will "mod" up this car because its exactly how I wanted it and the way it stands, its pretty much designed perfect. I don't think the GT line needs much, they all look great! Some of the carbon pieces they have out are spectacular. I also am in no rush to tune it.
Hope you end up with something great that you like! Excited to see what you decide on...
Old 07-16-2019, 07:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 542 Likes on 298 Posts
18 AMG GTC and 22 F150 Limited. Past owner 16 Maybach, 17 Brabus Smartcar, 06 Ford E150, and 22 G70
Live in FLorida. Drove to Denver with out Corvette and traded it in sight unseen for out GTC. It had 2000 miles on it. Never been happier.

If the car had had problems we still have a LOT of miles of factory warranty left.