Exhaust valve fully open

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2020, 07:18 PM

Received 68 Likes on 45 Posts
2014 E550
IDK about that...with the renntech module my car starts significantly louder and idles louder on cold start or warm start than without it...the only explanation i can think of is the position of the valves. Even in Race mode once the car is warmed up all the valves arent completely open until 4K RPM.

Originally Posted by Skilly
I think that I understand what you are saying; however, I cant verify with the RENNtech set up.

Factory default on start up is valves open and, to your point, COMFORT mode. After oil is distributed through the motor and the safety warm up is complete, the valves close - RENNtech may do this too but louder due to the 100% open override. With CETE, it eliminates this start up feature, and the car will always start (in COMFORT) with the valves in the closed position.
Old 10-28-2020, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 623 Likes on 369 Posts
2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by doulehr
IDK about that...with the renntech module my car starts significantly louder and idles louder on cold start or warm start than without it...the only explanation i can think of is the position of the valves. Even in Race mode once the car is warmed up all the valves arent completely open until 4K RPM.
Multiple perspectives converging.

With CETE or RENNtech, the purpose is largely to fully open the exhaust values when they are opened. From the factory they have been limited (moreso in the 2020 models). In the factory 2018 I have, during a cold start, the exhaust values will be default open similar to the EVM settings (100% vs <100%), and then once oil is distributed through the motor and an acceptable temp is reached, they close (usually about a minute).

For the CETE module, it changes that - the default cold start opening is over-ridden and the EVM is controlled via the button or engine settings only - so it always starts with valves closed. I'm not sure how the RENNtech works during cold starts, not to be confused with regular operation. For me, I didn't like the idea of a remote that I could misplace so I opted for the CETE.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:06 PM

2014 E550

With CETE or RENNtech, the purpose is largely to fully open the exhaust values when they are opened. From the factory they have been limited (moreso in the 2020 models). In the factory 2018 I have, during a cold start, the exhaust values will be default open similar to the EVM settings (100% vs <100%), and then once oil is distributed through the motor and an acceptable temp is reached, they close (usually about a minute).

For the CETE module, it changes that - the default cold start opening is over-ridden and the EVM is controlled via the button or engine settings only - so it always starts with valves closed. I'm not sure how the RENNtech works during cold starts, not to be confused with regular operation. For me, I didn't like the idea of a remote that I could misplace so I opted for the CETE.
I have the renntech and cold starts and warm starts are significantly louder with the module. That being said, even with the module on, in Race and S+ mode it idles louder (both cold and warm) than in C. 99% of the time I have it set to always open and leave the remote in the center console so not really worried about losing it. I agree with a previous poster, without the module warm start ups are kinda embarrassing for a car of this caliber (luckily Renntech/ASR fixes that.)
The following users liked this post:
Orcbolg (10-28-2020)
Old 10-28-2020, 01:48 PM

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Edition1
Just installed the Renntech EVM, now it sounds as good as it looks and performs. The car should have came like this.
Old 10-28-2020, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 695 Likes on 438 Posts
AMG

I'm not sure how the RENNtech works during cold starts, not to be confused with regular operation. For me, I didn't like the idea of a remote that I could misplace so I opted for the CETE.
It never closes the valves when you use the ASR/renntech module. I'm also hoping this eliminates the potential for the stuck closed valve error that has crippled some people's cars. Like doulehr, I just leave the remote in the center console and never touch it.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by foooo
The exhaust actuator shown in the pic looks identical and so does the connector.

The operation in step #1 is the difficult one "Disconnect current exhaust valve actuator motor while in the open position."
This has two problems;

1. getting them open
2. having them fully open when open (ie cold start)
Old 10-29-2020, 04:31 PM

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
AMG GT C
Sorrry maybe I didn't explain it well. Regardless of what EVM you have the car always starts in COMFORT mode. With the Renntech EVM, the car will stay int he setting you have the EVM set to you. So the car will start in comfort mode but the vales will be open so it'll be louder. That being said, you can tell it idles significantly louder when you switch it to RACE mode rather than comfort...even with the EVM.
I wonder why it would be louder in race mode. The EVM is supposed to keep the valves 100% open and you can't get opener than 100% can you? ;-)
Old 10-29-2020, 04:48 PM

AMG GT C
Cete = true
RENNtech = not true

That said, Its obnoxiously loud on start up with the valves 100% open (not to be confused with the stock setting open on startup like it comes from the factory). I opted for the Cete - I just wanted the option to decide whether I want to wake up the neighbors or leave the house without the fanfare.
Is there a US vendor for the Cete EVM? If not, did ordering it from overseas present any unexpected costs or issues?
Old 10-29-2020, 09:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by Saudio
Is there a US vendor for the Cete EVM? If not, did ordering it from overseas present any unexpected costs or issues?
ordering direct from Cete was easy - once you enter your shipping information they automatically pull out VAT. It took about a week to arrive and no fuss. Works great!
Saudio (10-30-2020)
Old 10-30-2020, 09:57 AM

2014 E550
I wonder why it would be louder in race mode. The EVM is supposed to keep the valves 100% open and you can't get opener than 100% can you? ;-)
It very well could be that the car idles louder (higher RPM) so the car just sounds louder. Either way, I highly recommend it.
Old 11-01-2020, 01:44 AM

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts
2016 AMG GTS
Perhaps the turbo vanes are open more in Sport+ and Race mode over the other modes.
Old 11-01-2020, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Originally Posted by x96535
Perhaps the turbo vanes are open more in Sport+ and Race mode over the other modes.
Certainly not an expert in the turbo field; however, I was lead to believe that if a setup has a wastegate (the GT-R and GT-C turbos have a wastegate) it doesn't operate as a VGT.
Old 11-01-2020, 11:27 AM

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts
Schwinn
Just ordered from the EVM from CETE, I like the fact the original switch controls it, rather than a key fob.
Hope to see it in a week unless customs decides to play games with the shipment.

Old 11-01-2020, 06:30 PM

2014 E550
Originally Posted by BBS63
Just ordered from the EVM from CETE, I like the fact the original switch controls it, rather than a key fob.
Hope to see it in a week unless customs decides to play games with the shipment.
Just realize that your default starts in 'C' mode...so your start ups will be the same as stock.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:39 PM

Schwinn
Just realize that your default starts in 'C' mode...so your start ups will be the same as stock.
So the valves don’t stay open as “always” until I switch them off?
That’s what you’re saying. If so then the Renntech one is better because of the key fob function? The CETE one is basically the same thing as Renntech without the key fob and uses the factory switch. I think both of them will start in C mode regardless of the EVM.
Old 11-01-2020, 06:39 PM

AMG GT C
Correct me if I'm wrong: With Renntech, the control changes the valve between 100% open and factory (when off, the factory control acts normally).

The Cete control changes the valve between 100% open and 100% closed. No middle ground.

Old 11-01-2020, 06:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2020 McLaren 720s Spider
Correct me if I'm wrong: With Renntech, the control changes the valve between 100% open and factory (when off, the factory control acts normally).

The Cete control changes the valve between 100% open and 100% closed. No middle ground.
@DriveAMG has the RENNtech module - question is does the RENNtech override the button, or just allow you to switch between factory settings (<100%) and the EVM setting (100% open). Second question is does it, like the CETE module override the 100% open setting during cold starts?

I believe the difference is that RENNtech allows you to turn off the modification vs CETE is just hardwired. @BBS63 cold starts under factory settings last about 20 seconds or so and as a previous comment said, we all start in 'C' so valves are closed.
BBS63 (11-02-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
has the RENNtech module - question is does the RENNtech override the button, or just allow you to switch between factory settings (<100%) and the EVM setting (100% open).
When set to fully open, neither the exhaust button nor changing modes does anything to the valves. I also just noticed that the Renntech version of the ASR module is missing the silent option, which completely closes the valves.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 706 Likes on 535 Posts
R Nine T
Man. This exhaust **** has no end.....
BBS63 (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 07:10 PM

Schwinn
Ok, I’m confused. So what do the valves do that the standard switch doesn’t do ?

Whats the point of these modules if at start or 20 seconds later if still in C mode the valves close?

Old 11-01-2020, 07:20 PM

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
2019 E63s
Not sure if this will help lol

My GTC is very loud on cold startup in C. Always was hopeful always will be. When I installed the EVM I noticed a bit more bark in the volume on cold startup. That said I can only tell if it’s on by going back to C and playing with the button on the remote as the car is pretty loud all the time anyways.

To answer the other question, the valve button on the centre console still works because it only controls the valves in the mufflers. The module opens the centre valve that opens in Race all the time leading to the additional volume at idle and around town. Hope that helps.
BBS63 (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by DriveAMG
To answer the other question, the valve button on the centre console still works because it only
controls the valves in the mufflers. The module opens the centre valve that opens in Race all the time leading to the additional volume at idle and around town. Hope that helps.
What center valve are you referring to? I'm almost certain there are only 2 valves that either direct the flow into the muffler or allow the exhaust gasses to bypass the muffler.

Here is the exhaust from the GT/S/C, and the R:

Originally Posted by BBS63
Ok, I’m confused. So what do the valves do that the standard switch doesn’t do ?

Whats the point of these modules if at start or 20 seconds later if still in C mode the valves close?
The EVM keeps the valves open 24/7. When you start the car after it's already warmed up it has a tendency to start with the valves closed for some reason, leading to quiet starts when out and about. That no longer happens with the EVM installed. Also, unless you are in Race AND pushing the car past a certain RPM threshold, the valves never fully open without the EVM. So the EVM makes the car louder throughout the entire rev range.

Last edited by Orcbolg; 11-01-2020 at 07:30 PM.
BBS63 (11-01-2020)
Old 11-01-2020, 07:31 PM

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
2019 E63s
My mistake

Thought I read somewhere there was a centre flap somewhere that opened under full throttle
in race mode. Your probably right then as I’ve never really paid much attention to the exhaust system. Makes sense. Sorry for the mistake.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by DriveAMG
Thought I read somewhere there was a centre flap somewhere that opened under full throttle
in race mode. Your probably right then as I’ve never really paid much attention to the exhaust system. Makes sense. Sorry for the mistake.
No worries, you had me second guessing myself for a second there. What they were talking about is what I described in the second part of post, where the valves will never fully open, stock, even in Race, until pushed past the RPM threshold, that I believe is 4500 rpm.

Last edited by Orcbolg; 11-01-2020 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-01-2020, 09:38 PM

Schwinn
I appreciate the explanation. That’s what I assumed it did otherwise there would be no point in having the module.

Originally Posted by Orcbolg
What center valve are you referring to? I'm almost certain there are only 2 valves that either direct the flow into the muffler or allow the exhaust gasses to bypass the muffler.

Here is the exhaust from the GT/S/C, and the R:

The EVM keeps the valves open 24/7. When you start the car after it's already warmed up it has a tendency to start with the valves closed for some reason, leading to quiet starts when out and about. That no longer happens with the EVM installed. Also, unless you are in Race AND pushing the car past a certain RPM threshold, the valves never fully open without the EVM. So the EVM makes the car louder throughout the entire rev range.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust valve fully open