Dropped a LUG-NUT in the Engine-Bay compartment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 11:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG GTS 2016
Dropped a LUG-NUT in the Engine-Bay compartment

I hate myself and you guys don't have to be negative, I only need solutions.

Replacing the stock air-filters with aftermarket highflow WIESETECH airfilters. Was almost done with the job and I dropped a lug-nut (I think its metallic) in the enginebay. The drop was follwed buy a dull thud. Looked under the car and it did not fall through. I am sure, the car is undrivable now, because at some point with the high speeds and brakes, it will hit the radiator fan and BOOM!

So, I need solutions?
1) Jack the car and try to undo the panels under the engine compartment?
2) Also, not even sure where to jack the car?

HELP!
Old 07-27-2021, 12:30 AM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts
2018 Diamond White GT-R
Were the air filters and covers in place? Hopefully your in a garage or on a smooth hard service. Which side? Front or rear of engine compartment? I assume you have a powerful flashlight and slowly looked first under the car and surrounding area ? Do the same for the engine compartment, look slowly as its pretty tight in there. If you cant find it see if you can pound on the cover under the engine compartment you might hear it bounce? Your owners manual has jacking instructions, my 2018 GTR lists it under(changing a tire) but as you can imagine make sure its supported well before crawling underneath....
Old 07-27-2021, 01:21 AM

Received 240 Likes on 160 Posts
You can try searching for it in vicinity of drop with a telescoping tool with small mirror attachment; if unable to visually locate, then may try sweeping area with a long/telescoping or flexible tool with strong magnet at the end.

Harbor Freight should have these 2 items. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
California John (07-28-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 01:31 AM
SPONSOR

Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts
AMGs :)
Jack it up and remove the undertray covers. Not too hard
Old 07-27-2021, 02:15 AM

Received 387 Likes on 248 Posts
To locate its position, you can also try lightly tapping around the belly panels with a rubber mallet and listen for a popped-up lug-nut. Of course that effort likely guarantees that it got lodged on something just above the belly panels (and Mr. Murphy laughs 'n laughs).
Old 07-27-2021, 04:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AMG GTS 2016
Thanks all for the comments. Yeah so to be clear, I did not drop it in the engine. just the hood area close to the intakes. Yeah, ried looking around for 1 hr with a strong flash light, cannot see it dropped on the bottonm (but not all of bottom is visible, or lodged ay where.
1- Its probably not safe to startthe car or drive, right!
2- Was thinking to jack up the car and open the bottom panels,

I can't find any links or pictues that shows a 2016 AMG GTS models, undercarriage or covers.. wanted to get an idea where to jack and what to open.

The lug nut is most likely on the right side of the car, in the hood area.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:56 PM

2018 Diamond White GT-R
Is there any way you could have dropped it where the air filter sits, was the cover(s) off? Please take a pic of the area on top where you think it fell....
Old 07-27-2021, 11:47 PM

Received 76 Likes on 47 Posts
Fast and Really Fast Sports Cars
We've all been there.

like MBNRG mentioned...the magnet tool should help. Otherwise, just keep removing trim pieces until you find. If you're like me, you probably will.

Else, consider it went to a better place to chill. Probably went on to some new friends.

One thing though...if you start jacking, it may roll to a different location. Then it may never be found. Up to you.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:17 AM

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
None yet
So.. if you’re adventurous, you can remove the front bumper and probably find the bolt pretty easily. The underbody panels towards the front of the car tuck into the front bumper cover. The radiators on either side are encased in plastic surrounds and center radiators are upright and the lower one angled. You should be able to look through the front bumper openings to see if it’s anywhere in front of the radiators but most likely not as that area is kind of separate like a wall between the front of the car and the engine bay.

most likely the biggest risk of driving it is losing the bolt.

here are a couple of recent pics of my front bumper removed so I could install the protective screens on the radiators. Hopefully this helps show what things look like. If you take off the front bumper, you should be able to tilt down the center cover and see back behind the radiators area. I dropped a screw back there and had to use a telescopic magnet pen to snag it.

front bumper is 7-8 plastic clips in each wheel well (recommended taking off the wheels), two screws in wheel well towards front that connect bumper to fender (pain in the A to get to), x6 10mm bolts across the bottom underside, x4 T25 torx across upper bumper and x2 T25 at each corner next to each headlight.

coincidentally, when I got my front bumper off, I found 2-3 plastic clips that were dropped behind there during assembly- so even though he guys at the factory have this problem! Hope some of the pics/info help and good luck!

Under the radiator you can see the cover panel. Radiators have plastic surrounds so very doubtful it fell in there, if it did you could see looking through bumper openings

Center radiator layout without bumper, you can see lower panel that should tilt down to see back into the area by the engine

Center area you can see the cover panel that tucks into bumper

Last edited by 4wheelz; 07-28-2021 at 12:33 AM.
Old 07-28-2021, 12:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2018 Chevrolet Silverado Midnight Edition
Originally Posted by asaddd
I hate myself and you guys don't have to be negative, I only need solutions.

Replacing the stock air-filters with aftermarket highflow WIESETECH airfilters. Was almost done with the job and I dropped a lug-nut (I think its metallic) in the enginebay. The drop was follwed buy a dull thud. Looked under the car and it did not fall through. I am sure, the car is undrivable now, because at some point with the high speeds and brakes, it will hit the radiator fan and BOOM!

So, I need solutions?
1) Jack the car and try to undo the panels under the engine compartment?
2) Also, not even sure where to jack the car?

HELP!
Originally Posted by asaddd
Thanks all for the comments. Yeah so to be clear, I did not drop it in the engine. just the hood area close to the intakes. Yeah, ried looking around for 1 hr with a strong flash light, cannot see it dropped on the bottonm (but not all of bottom is visible, or lodged ay where.
1- Its probably not safe to startthe car or drive, right!
2- Was thinking to jack up the car and open the bottom panels,

I can't find any links or pictues that shows a 2016 AMG GTS models, undercarriage or covers.. wanted to get an idea where to jack and what to open.

The lug nut is most likely on the right side of the car, in the hood area.
With you saying that it was a "dull thud," and before tearing the "skid plates"/bottom panels off, I would slap the bottoms of the panels and listen for it to bounce around. Some questions to consider before tearing your engine apart: Garage? Street? Driveway? Slope? Being an aircraft mechanic, I've had quite a few little "demon spawns" get dropped and found them at the OTHER END OF THE HANGAR or when working on on the maintenance ramp (barely any slope at all), down on the taxiway, sometimes 300' away. Mirror & flashlight straight down from where you were working. If you take the bottom panels off, don't forget to use a mirror and check on top of all the frame work down there. If you lived near me, I'd come help you search for it. I have bore scope, various telescoping (different size) mirrors.

NOT "NUT/BOLT RELATED" but similar:

A coworker and I were working on a panel forward of the windscreen, when he bumped the spray bottle of isopropyl alcohol off the top of the nose of the aircraft. Before I could grab it, it hit the floor, breaking the adjustable nozzle in two, the bigger half stayed with the bottle and the other half "disappeared." We searched for 2 hours, the entire hangar floor, grounding points, swept the floor, etc. 2 hours after we filled out the "Lost Tool Report," it was located......on top of the left wing, sitting dead center in the wing, 35' away from the impact point and 8' off the ground.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ravenkeeper:
Acta_Non_Verba (07-28-2021), California John (07-28-2021)
Old 07-28-2021, 07:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 880 Likes on 453 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
I have two tools that are invaluable in cases like this one.
A lighted magnet on a 24" flex extension if the drop is iron (HF purchase if I remember)
And
A bore scope on a 1m flex extension (as Raven mentions).
Before I start disassembling anything, these two tools will work 90% of the time.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:08 PM

Received 203 Likes on 107 Posts
Man I’ve done that before. I know that feeling of instant regret haha

I bought a cheap endoscope from Amazon to find a bolt before. It has a clip on with a magnet - which was fantastic. Everyone should have one of those tools for how useful and cheap they are
Old 08-18-2021, 02:19 AM

2018 Diamond White GT-R
Asaddd, Did you find it????