2020 C8 Corvette Z51 back to back with my AMG GT S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2021, 03:37 PM

Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 Mercedes AMG GT S
2020 C8 Corvette Z51 back to back with my AMG GT S

Hi AMG GT guys and gals,

I just had a generous test drive of the new mid-engine C8 Corvette with the Z51 performance package. I got to drive it back to back with my own 2016 AMG GT S on some great wine country roads. I was such an interesting comparison that I ended up writing 3800 words on it here on my blog.

Anyway, I'll spoil the blog post by sharing my impressions here. (Scroll past the photo.)

Exterior - the two cars are polar opposites in terms of their exterior appearance. The GT S is sleek and wind-shaped. The C8 is cuts, slashes, gaping intakes, and flying wings. And, because of the angular cab-forward design of the C8, it looks like a modern, radar-evading fighter jet to me. I think both designs are amazing, but the Corvette turns _many_ more heads. If you wanted to create a stir at the wine country valet or Cars & Coffee, the C8 would steal the spotlight from the GT S. (At least for now, while the C8 is new and infrequently seen.)

Interior - This surprised me, but the C8's interior (with the mid-level LT2 package) is every bit as nice as the GT S's. Chevy went to town by splashing leather on everything, using knurled metal for the rotary knobs, and putting aluminum facings on the frequently used buttons. Thus, all the controls you regularly touch are as finely finished and precise as the GT S's. The interior design is wild, with 60% of the cabin being dedicated to the driver, and the passenger being walled off to the right. Having the spotlight on the driver it felt fantastic, since I was driving! Everything fell right to hand, the touch screen nav was easy to reach, and the swooping dashboard focused my attention on the gauge cluster and HUD. The C8 has a ton of trick technology, like 360-cameras, birds-eye view bumper cameras, and front axle lift. (Boy, could I use those in the GT S!) I also loved the Corvette's mid-range GT2 sports seats. They are just slightly wider than the AMG sports seats, but they have more padding and built-in ventilation, so they are so much more comfortable.

Comfort - I personally think the AMG GT S has a flinty ride, that is just tolerable on rough streets. Also, I don't love the firm and tight AMG seats. On the other hand, the Corvette sports seats are tight but perfectly comfortable for tall and skinny me. The C8 had the optional mag-ride dampers, and they are magic-carpet smooth over rough roads. The Corvette drove like the best from modern Cadillac, and I mean that as high praise. (The mag-ride dampers also do a marvelous job of controlling the body in fast corners.) The Corvette's cabin is hushed and free of squeaks and rattles! I'm jealous because my GT S is a rattle trap and road-noise echo chamber.

Drivetrain - I found the dual-clutch automatics between the two cars to be responsive and satisfying. The Corvette V8 makes great sounds and a wider range of tones than the AMG V8. I do feel that the AMG V8 has a bit more grunt, especially in the low and mid ranges. Thus, I prefer the AMG engine to the Corvette's. Both cars are supremely capable at putting their power to the ground. They are surprisingly glued considering how much muscle they route through two Michelin PS4S tires!

Sprinting - Both the GT S and the C8 are ~3600 lb, ~500 hp, RWD, dual-clutch automatics. Yet their driving experiences are so different! In 0-60 and the 1/4 mile the C8 Z51 takes my GT S to school! I don't think my 38k mile GT S is the quickest one out there, but with launch control it does about 4.0s in 0-60 mph. The C8 has amazingly effective launch control and sprints in less than 3.0s! Yet, subjectively, the GT S feels torquier and faster when I floor it on the highway. Some of it may be the psychology of the building thrust as the AMG's turbos spin up, or the fact that the C8 hides its speed and work from the driver. Either way, the GT S feels faster from a roll.

Cornering - Both cars have more cornering ability than I can exploit on the street. In my drives the two felt buttoned-down and stable, able to take whatever curveballs the topsy-turvy road pitched their way. I expected the mid-engine Corvette to be more eager at entering corners, but the C8's super-heavy steering (especially in Track mode) made the car feel reluctant turn. (It _did_ turn, it just didn't _feel_ like it wanted to.) Using the comfort steering setting in the Corvette helps a lot to make the car more willing. In comparison, the GT S has much lighter and quicker steering, so it flits in to the corners with joy and eagerness. It's the puppy chasing a squirrel. Both cars have fantastic body control, but the Corvette is better at smoothing bumps and cornering levelly.

Excitement - Here is where the Corvette loses the comparison by a mile. The GT S has fantastic feel and feedback from the chassis and especially from the steering. Via the steering I can feel the changing grip at the front tires, and all of the textures and impacts from the road. The Corvette whispers about the road grain and impacts, but it gives no information about the tire grip or suspension work. For me, this makes the Corvette feel aloof and remote; there's little two-way conversation between me (as the driver) and the car. Additionally, the C8 chassis feels like it is built for much burlier engines. The 495 hp V8 doesn't challenge it, and the Corvette chassis feels bored by its engine. Conversely, the GT S's chassis and engine feel much better balanced, and you can steer by throttle more readily in the GT S.

Because I love performance driving and feeling the car working under me, the AMG GT S is my favorite of the two by a long shot. However, for people that are really into car meets, cruising and meeting other car lovers, being an early adopter of the C8 Corvette would be really fun. I'm sure C8 owners are getting approached and chatted up everywhere they go! My guess is that the C8's future high-performance versions (Z06, ZR1, Zora) will reinfuse the Corvette with driving excitement, but we'll see!
Old 08-10-2021, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
I am still waiting to see what GM cooks up for the C8 Z06/7 version of the car. I hope it’s been worth waiting for!
The following 2 users liked this post by thebishman:
Case1906 (08-11-2021), JSwan724 (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 04:10 PM

2016 Mercedes AMG GT S
Originally Posted by thebishman
I am still waiting to see what GM cooks up for the C8 Z06/7 version of the car. I hope it’s been worth waiting for!
Yes, I am really excited about that high-revving NA V8 too!
Old 08-10-2021, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 880 Likes on 453 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
I had a 2021 C8 HTC on order, but canceled the order before it reached 3000 because of the myriad problems that were (are) arising and in too many categories to be comfortable with the car. I opted for my AMG instead and very happy I did. Some of the failures of C8s since introduction:
Failed brake pressure switch
breaking valve springs (while the engine is running {hopefully idling and not at speed})
Failure of online SW upgrades that bricks the car (actually takes out the battery, I believe)
Failed front trunk latches that caused some interesting damages while the car was moving; luckily no one was seriously injured in any of these.
leaking front end lift hydraulics
Periodic CELs for misfires on specific cylinders (apparently the LT2 doesn't always like this ME spot)
The HTCs are having failures of the hydraulic tops. (I don't know if it is a big number, but there is no backup manual way to manipulate the top if it stick halfway up/down).
And the straw that broke the camel's back - the failed DCTs. There are a few issues here and too many examples that made me nervous - Porous cases that leak oil, seals that blow, shift solenoids that fail, some literally had dirt/debris inside the DCT that caused it to completely fail.

These are the items that come to mind, but I know I don't have a complete list. The problem with getting these repaired is many parts are simply not available BC manufacturing is using everything building 180 cars per day. Some have had to wait 5/6 weeks for new DCTs while their cars were laid up apart in a dealer's back room. And, god forbid, don't get into a repairable accident with one and expect body parts!

In my area (Scottsdale) C8s are appearing everywhere. I think GM has built close to 40,000 already. At our recent cars/coffee (I did a separate thread on it here), there were over a dozen C8s. At least a dozen or more show up every month. Like anything that is getting common, they don't bring the same attention they once did when only one or two would show up, but that was at least a year back.

Still, it is an impressive looking car. I agree with 503's description "like a modern fighter jet". Cool looking car! And, yes, interesting to see what the Z will bring.

The following users liked this post:
Orcbolg (08-10-2021)
Old 08-10-2021, 09:30 PM

2016 Mercedes AMG GT S
Originally Posted by Acta_Non_Verba
I had a 2021 C8 HTC on order, but canceled the order before it reached 3000 because of the myriad problems that were (are) arising and in too many categories to be comfortable with the car. I opted for my AMG instead and very happy I did....
Wow, that is quite a list of problems! I hope they'll all get sorted out in a year or two and become the reliable cars that the Corvette once was.

Yeah, I can see how my Corvette experience in Northern California could be very different than what you have in Scottsdale (or in Detroit, Los Angeles, Miami, etc...). People around here tend to buy Porsches, BMWs, Teslas, but not so many Chevys. I think I've seen just two C8 Corvettes here in the last year!

But yes, once they show up in mobs at C&C or hit the Enterprise and Hertz rental fleets, I'm sure the shock factor in the design will go away. That said it is still a very striking and beautifully put together car.
Old 08-10-2021, 11:49 PM

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts
2017 AMG GT
Good read. Thanks for sharing your impressions! They have lost their fizzle at meets / c&c locally but still look really cool coming at you down the road - very *exotic* front end.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jezek:
Acta_Non_Verba (08-11-2021), BBS63 (08-11-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 292 Likes on 200 Posts
2020 AMG GTC Coupe & 2018 Macan Turbo
I had a 2021 C8 HTC on order, but canceled the order before it reached 3000 because of the myriad problems that were (are) arising and in too many categories to be comfortable with the car. I opted for my AMG instead and very happy I did. Some of the failures of C8s since introduction:
breaking valve springs (while the engine is running {hopefully idling and not at speed})
Failure of online SW upgrades that bricks the car (actually takes out the battery, I believe)
Failed front trunk latches that caused some interesting damages while the car was moving; luckily no one was seriously injured in any of these.
Periodic CELs for misfires on specific cylinders (apparently the LT2 doesn't always like this ME spot)
The HTCs are having failures of the hydraulic tops. (I don't know if it is a big number, but there is no backup manual way to manipulate the top if it stick halfway up/down).
And the straw that broke the camel's back - the failed DCTs. There are a few issues here and too many examples that made me nervous - Porous cases that leak oil, seals that blow, shift solenoids that fail, some literally had dirt/debris inside the DCT that caused it to completely fail.

These are the items that come to mind, but I know I don't have a complete list. The problem with getting these repaired is many parts are simply not available BC manufacturing is using everything building 180 cars per day. Some have had to wait 5/6 weeks for new DCTs while their cars were laid up apart in a dealer's back room. And, god forbid, don't get into a repairable accident with one and expect body parts!

In my area (Scottsdale) C8s are appearing everywhere. I think GM has built close to 40,000 already. At our recent cars/coffee (I did a separate thread on it here), there were over a dozen C8s. At least a dozen or more show up every month. Like anything that is getting common, they don't bring the same attention they once did when only one or two would show up, but that was at least a year back.

Still, it is an impressive looking car. I agree with 503's description "like a modern fighter jet". Cool looking car! And, yes, interesting to see what the Z will bring.
Interesting. We just had our C&C here in Houston last weekend. Mostly Lambos and a few Porsche 911 variations. What pissed me off, it was a limited number allowed to display. We had a reservation. But, were told they had over booked. Got directed to an adjacent street and then watched for the next two hours watching more Lambos drive in.
Old 08-11-2021, 07:46 AM

Received 216 Likes on 135 Posts
E55, 380SL, GLA 250 Sport, AMG GTS

Ditto!
Old 08-11-2021, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jezek
G still look really cool coming at you down the road - very *exotic* front end.
Yes, agree!....When I see one coming in the oncoming lane from far away, it takes a minute to get closer before I can call it a C8 as, to me, it has the front end cut of an Aventador or Huracan, especially if the car is black.

GM did an outstanding job on body design.
Old 08-11-2021, 08:51 AM

...When I see one coming in the oncoming lane from far away, it takes a minute to get closer before I can call it a C8 as, to me, it has the front end cut of an Aventador or Huracan, especially if the car is black.

GM did an outstanding job on body design.
I wish I knew how the GT looks comin from far away in the opposite lane since I hardly ever see one.
Acta_Non_Verba (08-11-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by UCIMBZ
I wish I knew how the GT looks comin from far away in the opposite lane since I hardly ever see one.
Yes, in almost a year, I've only seen one other GT on the road. It pulled up next to me at a redlight, he was in the LH turn lane. He stopped and looked over at me, I looked at him. By the expression on his face, we were both a little astonished it happened. The LH arrow came on immediately, he waved, and I've not seen him again.

Other GTs show up at our CC. There were 3 including mine, but I never see them on the road.
Old 08-11-2021, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

503 - I failed to mention and want to - I very much enjoyed reading your experiences here in post #1. Well done and informative!
The following 2 users liked this post by Acta_Non_Verba:
503hp (08-11-2021), Hetzle (08-11-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 694 Likes on 437 Posts
AMG
Yes, in almost a year, I've only seen one other GT on the road. It pulled up next to me at a redlight, he was in the LH turn lane. He stopped and looked over at me, I looked at him. By the expression on his face, we were both a little astonished it happened. The LH arrow came on immediately, he waved, and I've not seen him again.

Other GTs show up at our CC. There were 3 including mine, but I never see them on the road.
I've only seen 2 on the road this past year, and both encounters I felt kind of silly.

The first one was night time and in the rain. On the highway with a bunch of other folks and it was really pouring, wasn't in the GTS, and I spot taillights ahead that I assumed was a dodge challenger. Once I got within 40 or 50 feet I realized it was a satin grey GT/S and had to face palm a bit.

The second instance I was in the GTS and they were in the oncoming lane behind a few folks and about half a mile ahead. I wrongly assumed it was a C7 Vette when I saw the DRLs and shape of the car, until they got a bit closer and I flashed my high beams after realizing it was a satin blue, modified, GTS.
Old 08-11-2021, 10:56 AM

Received 678 Likes on 360 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
Here in the land of the Beverly Hills Mustang (Mercedes SLs) I rarely see another GT. I recently saw and followed (but only because we were going the same way) a Green Hell Magno but I was in my e-tron so I couldn't flash the secret long distance handshake.

I didn't used to like the pre 2018 facelift, but that front end has been growing on me, especially because I now see the Panamericana grille on pretty much everything Mercedes-Benz churns out that floods the streets here in Malibu and environs.
Orcbolg (08-11-2021)
Old 08-11-2021, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by MalibuScott
Here in the land of the Beverly Hills Mustang (Mercedes SLs) I rarely see another GT. I recently saw and followed (but only because we were going the same way) a Green Hell Magno but I was in my e-tron so I couldn't flash the secret long distance handshake.

I didn't used to like the pre 2018 facelift, but that front end has been growing on me, especially because I now see the Panamericana grille on pretty much everything Mercedes-Benz churns out that floods the streets here in Malibu and environs.
I like pre 18 front end too.
Old 08-11-2021, 11:42 AM

2016 Mercedes AMG GT S
Around the SF Bay Area I see another AMG GT every 2 to 3 months. I always get excited when I do! (Except for recently when a GT convertible parked on my street and I saw it was keyed on three sides!)
Old 08-11-2021, 11:44 AM

2016 Mercedes AMG GT S
Originally Posted by Jezek
Good read. Thanks for sharing your impressions! They have lost their fizzle at meets / c&c locally but still look really cool coming at you down the road - very *exotic* front end.
I guess I need to get out to more C&C. I go like 3x a year, so my impression of what's hot/current is dated!