Sponsored by:

New to me GTS issues

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2021, 11:22 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
AMG GTS, Mercedes 6.9, 190SL
New to me GTS issues

I bought the silver 2017 GTS that was in Missouri and was linked here around a month ago. I bought it without seeing it in person and finally received it Sunday. It's in great shape given it's 41k miles and even had some features that I didn't expect.

I think the lug wrench is missing. I assume it goes in the notch beside the tow hook? Anyone know a where I can get a replacement.

Every minute or so I get a slight buzz like a phone vibrate alert that I can slightly here and feel in the steering wheel. What could that be? Is it an alert and likely due to my oil overfill problem or related to the other alert I'm getting that I am 14 days overdue for my AF service?

Thanks for your help.

Just a little story on the oil issue. The person I was working with from the non Mercedes dealer sent me an email that my car was on the hauler and that an oil warning had came on and they would reimburse me for an oil change. I expected to see oil change due when I received the car, but when we started the car and drove it from the hauler and oil overfill warning came on. There is also a window sticker that says my next oil change is due in what would be 5k miles from my current mileage (no date, just mileage). So my impression is this dealer decided to change the oil and accidentally overfilled but didn't know until later. As many of you probably know, the oil level on these things is tricky. I siphoned off a half quart. Still read full on the dipstick. Siphoned off another nearly half quart for nearly a quart total and the oil read right in the middle of the range on the dipstick. But as you probably guessed, by this time the oil had cooled down. I drove it barely enough to get to operating temp and it still seems overfilled by the dipstick, maybe not by the internal display, but I did not get a warning yet. I'll siphon off another half quart before trying to check again.
Old 08-17-2021, 11:25 PM

Received 677 Likes on 359 Posts
2020 GTA; 2022 Audi e-tron GT, 2022 Ford F-150; 1926 Rolls-Royce Springfield 40/50 Playboy roadster
The vibration in the steering wheel is the lane warning signal. "Lane Keeping Assist." Another feature you didn't know your car had.

Get back between the lanes!
Old 08-18-2021, 12:43 AM

Thanks. I hadn't gotten that far in the manual. Cool, I knew it said I had that feature. Pretty funny how my lane departing describes how I'm driving around pushing buttons trying to figure stuff out.

Last edited by Eyeman89; 08-18-2021 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-18-2021, 01:22 AM

Received 288 Likes on 114 Posts
2007 S65 AMG-Sold, 2007 SL55 P030 - 2016 GL450 - - 2017 AMG GTS - Sold - 2015 AMG S65
Follow the link below...

Originally Posted by Eyeman89
I bought the silver 2017 GTS that was in Missouri and was linked here around a month ago. I bought it without seeing it in person and finally received it Sunday. It's in great shape given it's 41k miles and even had some features that I didn't expect.

I think the lug wrench is missing. I assume it goes in the notch beside the tow hook? Anyone know a where I can get a replacement.

Every minute or so I get a slight buzz like a phone vibrate alert that I can slightly here and feel in the steering wheel. What could that be? Is it an alert and likely due to my oil overfill problem or related to the other alert I'm getting that I am 14 days overdue for my AF service?

Thanks for your help.

Just a little story on the oil issue. The person I was working with from the non Mercedes dealer sent me an email that my car was on the hauler and that an oil warning had came on and they would reimburse me for an oil change. I expected to see oil change due when I received the car, but when we started the car and drove it from the hauler and oil overfill warning came on. There is also a window sticker that says my next oil change is due in what would be 5k miles from my current mileage (no date, just mileage). So my impression is this dealer decided to change the oil and accidentally overfilled but didn't know until later. As many of you probably know, the oil level on these things is tricky. I siphoned off a half quart. Still read full on the dipstick. Siphoned off another nearly half quart for nearly a quart total and the oil read right in the middle of the range on the dipstick. But as you probably guessed, by this time the oil had cooled down. I drove it barely enough to get to operating temp and it still seems overfilled by the dipstick, maybe not by the internal display, but I did not get a warning yet. I'll siphon off another half quart before trying to check again.

More than likely an oil service was performed by some body that didn't know the right procedures for the dry sump system and overfilled it.
This link may help you out in getting it adjusted > https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roa...el-my-way.html

Best H
Old 08-18-2021, 09:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 879 Likes on 453 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
On the oil overfill - I agree with Hendrik and this has been discussed in a few different threads on this forum.

Long story short, whoever did the oil change either didn't know the proper WIS change procedure, or did and didn't care to follow it...and that CAN include a MB dealership. Following the WIS instructions on proper oil change is NOT easy and I estimate busy shops do not have the time/patience to follow it, so they "short" it.

Bottom line - If you're overfilled after an oil change, it wasn't done correctly.
Old 08-18-2021, 10:32 AM

Received 216 Likes on 135 Posts
E55, 380SL, GLA 250 Sport, AMG GTS
Don't just arbitrarily keep removing oil.
The following users liked this post:
Acta_Non_Verba (08-18-2021)
Old 08-18-2021, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by UCIMBZ
Don't just arbitrarily keep removing oil.
I agree!!
Use the proper procedure for checking oil.
Old 08-18-2021, 12:38 PM

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts
Schwinn
There is no lug wrench in the GTS.
Old 08-18-2021, 04:00 PM

Received 444 Likes on 238 Posts
AMG GTR
Originally Posted by BBS63
There is no lug wrench in the GTS.
Hi,

MB already has a wheel change kit for the GT. Equipment code is: B12

Trunk jack support: A 197 898 01 81
Jack: A 197 580 02 18
Wheel wrench : A000 581 02 00
Wheel mounting bolt: A 204 581 00 74
Wheel chock (foldable): A203 583 00 75

But you don't have a spare wheel. There is also a suitable temporary spare wheel from MB. (There are countries, where a spare wheel is mandatory)
That is strapped into the trunk. Equipment code is: 690

Mini emergency wheel: A212 400 42 00

Also keep in mind that the wheel bolts are tightened to around 130 ft / lbs. It's no small thing with such a short wheel wrench.
Especially the opening. The risk of slipping is also high. I would rather recommend a cross wheel wrench. You need 19mm. (3/4" maybee work)

Kind regards

Stenzel
Old 08-18-2021, 04:02 PM

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts
Schwinn
Originally Posted by Stenzel-Germany
Hi,

MB already has a wheel change kit for the GT. Equipment code is: B12

Trunk jack support: A 197 898 01 81
Jack: A 197 580 02 18
Wheel wrench : A000 581 02 00
Wheel mounting bolt: A 204 581 00 74
Wheel chock (foldable): A203 583 00 75

But you don't have a spare wheel. There is also a suitable temporary spare wheel from MB. (There are countries, where a spare wheel is mandatory)
That is strapped into the trunk. Equipment code is: 690

Mini emergency wheel: A212 400 42 00

Also keep in mind that the wheel bolts are tightened to around 130 ft / lbs. It's no small thing with such a short wheel wrench.
Especially the opening. The risk of slipping is also high. I would rather recommend a cross wheel wrench. You need 19mm. (3/4" maybee work)

Kind regards

Stenzel

I am sure MBZ has the lug wrench for sale, I dont know of any GT cars for the US that have ever come with one. All the cars for these shores came with the inflator kit.
Old 08-18-2021, 04:19 PM

AMG GTR
Hi,

I believe code B12 only exists in countries with a spare wheel requirement.
Whether it was selectable or not depends on my knowledge.

Kind regards

Stenzel
Old 08-18-2021, 07:13 PM

Thanks for all the help. I noticed today that the next oil change sticker has the name of the non Mercedes dealer where I bought the car. For sure I will not count any of this change as having been done properly. For sure this oil I'm removing is pretty black for new oil. I'll get the car in for service at the dealer next weekish. I'd like to drive it carefully a few more times to make sure I don't have any special concerns.

If by properly checking the oil level you mean using the dipstick within a few minutes of turning off a normal operating temperature engine, that's what I'm doing. I'm not having much luck getting the display fill level to work most of the time. It seems a little late to tow the car to the dealer since after the oil change the car was started and possibly driven at the dealer and by my hauler. The overfilled warning only comes on after the car hits full operating temperature now, whereas before it came on much quicker so I think I'll have it after this last half quart siphoning (I'm a boater so I'm accustomed to siphoning oil). Looks like my car will end up having been right at 2 quarts too full. Do y'all think that it is theoretically less damaging to a dry sump car to be over or under filled than a non dry sump?

I have had cars with run flats, no spare, etc and coped with it. I definitely want my own lug wrench. I like to keep a dedicated impact socket/breaker bar setup in the car and probably would like that better than the stock (if it had one) lug wrench anyways. I"m sure I'll buy a donut spare to strap in the car for trips where I still have trunk space. I plan to ceramic coat the wheels soon so they'll be coming off, hopefully. I was able to remove one of my center caps by hand with the included center cap wrench (I have the black forged cross spoke wheels). Is that correct tightness? Didn't see anything about that so far in the manual.
Old 08-18-2021, 07:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for all the help. I noticed today that the next oil change sticker has the name of the non Mercedes dealer where I bought the car. For sure I will not count any of this change as having been done properly. For sure this oil I'm removing is pretty black for new oil. I'll get the car in for service at the dealer next weekish. I'd like to drive it carefully a few more times to make sure I don't have any special concerns.

The oil change is important that the factory instructions be followed or about one quart of old oil will be left in the system and that will make a fresh oil change look like it wasn't changed; and, in fact, all of it wasn't. Sometimes even MB dealers get this wrong, either be ignorance or on purpose.

Take a look at this thread, post #31. Make sure your dealer is following this procedure, to the letter.

Oil - Page 2 - MBWorld.org Forums
Old 08-18-2021, 08:39 PM

AMG GTR
I was able to remove one of my center caps by hand with the included center cap wrench (I have the black forged cross spoke wheels). Is that correct tightness? Didn't see anything about that so far in the manual.
Hi,

25Nm approx. 18.5 ft/lbs
Its normally cast into the cap wrench

Kind regards

Stenzel
Old 08-18-2021, 10:33 PM

That's funny, i think i remember seeing the 18.5 ft/lbs label and not thought just figured that was related to the lugs and then saw your 130 lug nut recommendations and just figured I had misremembered. Btw, I still got the overfill warning now with 2 full quarts removed. And my oil is definitely dirty looking. I bet that non Mercedes dealer never offers to change an AMG again, especially after I complain about this.
Old 08-21-2021, 06:55 PM

I'm at 3 quarts removed now. We'll see if that's enough removed next time I get it up to operating temp.

Ran into a couple more issues. I can't adjust the balance or bass on my stereo is that normal and related to not having the top end option? My passenger side rear view mirror is maxed out but still barely turned in enough for me, others have that issue?
Old 08-21-2021, 08:12 PM

Received 148 Likes on 115 Posts
2018 Diamond White GT-R
As far as the mirror, someone might have pressed on the glass and moved it past the motor settings. I would just, lightly, press in on the inside (closest side to the car), part of the mirror glass and then see if the switch will get it even closer....

This should help you for the stereo adjustments.....
Old 08-21-2021, 10:26 PM

Thanks. I had not figured out that that clicker device clicks forwards and backwards. Guess I didn't read that far in the manual or find such an informative video yet.

Yes the passenger mirror issue seems weird but it's tolerable. It is already heavily angled. It's almost like Mercedes mounted the mirror container itself so straight that angling the inner mirror as fully as possible would be needed if the seat is very far forward at all (I'm 5'9). I'll be taking the car in for a service soon, kind of wanting to check for issues that I'll want to ask about before I take it there.
Old 08-29-2021, 10:20 PM

Had time to inspect my paint much closer. I'm shocked that this car basically had no road paint chips after 41k miles. Maybe it was wrapped but it would seem strange that it would have been removed already. I also guess someone could have touched up any nicks, etc.

What I did find were a couple of areas brown areas on the black outer coating on my aerodynamic package side skirts. Looks like the skirts are made of some sort of brown material with a black coating. Shouldn't be too hard to touch up, hopefully. Have others had this issue?