OE Tuning experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2021, 11:27 AM

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts
AMG GT C Edition 50
OE Tuning experience

Hey guys,

As promised, here is my update on my OE tuning experience. Overall I'm very pleased with the results and I recommend OE Tuning for my 2018 AMG GT C.

Updating the My Genius tool was the only weak link in the process as it was slow and I received error messages. Because of that, the initial read of my ECU failed.

When I called OE Tuning for support, they answered immediately, and stayed on the phone with me until my problem was solved. I needed to update the tool a second time, then the read was easy. I emailed my files to them and soon thereafter they sent me my customized (92 octane) tune. The new tune uploaded without a problem (need to be sure you have a battery charger running even though it only takes about 5 minutes).

As far as the HP results, my "seat of the pants" review can be categorized as "wow." I don't know exactly what magic happens in the ECU, but the car definitely experienced a significant increase in horsepower. My last two cars were a 458 and a Panoz GTLM (engine also tuned) and with the OE Tuning update my 2018 AMG GT C feels to have the same HP / weight ratio - which is supercar territory.

I've tested returning the tune to "original" for service appointments and it does so easily. Let me know if you have any questions.

OE Tuning unboxing

The following users liked this post:
SALES@OETUNING (12-07-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 02:38 PM

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts
Schwinn
Hey Andrew, i ran into the same issues with the Genius Tool the first time i used it. Challenge for me was I needed to dust off my PC Laptop as it doesnt work with Mac.
But as you said, called emailed OE Tuning and they responded almost immediately and walked me thru all the issues until I got it to work. Glad to hear they are still great at helping.
I also agree with the "seat of the pants dyno" as I had to go back to OEM Tune for a service and couldnt wait to get it back to the OE Tune, the throttle response for me is a big bog improvement over OEM.
Enjoy !
Old 11-27-2021, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 701 Likes on 534 Posts
R Nine T
Good looking ride Andrew…
Old 11-27-2021, 03:44 PM

AMG GT C Edition 50
Thanks!

Originally Posted by AMG 17GT
I love the matte paint. Even - or especially - wet and at dusk! The black chrome is striking. Gonna matte wrap and window tint soon.
Old 11-27-2021, 08:46 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
2018 GTC Edition 50
Thanks for reporting back. I’m thinking of making an order soon for my GTC.

Did you get the extra exhaust pops tune? It looks like it’s an extra $100. I pretty much always drive around in S+ because of the awesome cracks on pedal lift. Does it make the exhaust pops occur in C and S modes too? Or does it just make them stronger but still only in S+?
Old 11-27-2021, 09:39 PM

AMG GT C Edition 50
Originally Posted by cryhavok
Thanks for reporting back. I’m thinking of making an order soon for my GTC.

Did you get the extra exhaust pops tune? It looks like it’s an extra $100. I pretty much always drive around in S+ because of the awesome cracks on pedal lift. Does it make the exhaust pops occur in C and S modes too? Or does it just make them stronger but still only in S+?
I love the current sound of my car which has quite a few pops when I drive it in S+ and R (almost always.) So I didn't get that changed. It doesn't pop in C and I don't know about S.
Old 11-27-2021, 10:27 PM

Received 59 Likes on 34 Posts
2020 GTR
Originally Posted by AMG 17GT

LOL yeah it really is a good-looking car. I couldn't say it any better than you did, so I just quoted you for double posterity...
Old 11-28-2021, 12:25 PM

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
AMG GTS, Mercedes 6.9, 190SL
I was planning to not pay for extra pops, but that would be nice if it popped more at least in S mode. I ride around in C mode most of the time myself, then just paddle shift when I want a lower gear.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:26 AM
SPONSOR

Received 131 Likes on 115 Posts
OE Tuning C63 AMG
AMG GTC Tuning

Originally Posted by AndrewFerg
Hey guys,

As promised, here is my update on my OE tuning experience. Overall I'm very pleased with the results and I recommend OE Tuning for my 2018 AMG GT C.

Updating the My Genius tool was the only weak link in the process as it was slow and I received error messages. Because of that, the initial read of my ECU failed.

When I called OE Tuning for support, they answered immediately, and stayed on the phone with me until my problem was solved. I needed to update the tool a second time, then the read was easy. I emailed my files to them and soon thereafter they sent me my customized (92 octane) tune. The new tune uploaded without a problem (need to be sure you have a battery charger running even though it only takes about 5 minutes).

As far as the HP results, my "seat of the pants" review can be categorized as "wow." I don't know exactly what magic happens in the ECU, but the car definitely experienced a significant increase in horsepower. My last two cars were a 458 and a Panoz GTLM (engine also tuned) and with the OE Tuning update my 2018 AMG GT C feels to have the same HP / weight ratio - which is supercar territory.

I've tested returning the tune to "original" for service appointments and it does so easily. Let me know if you have any questions.

OE Tuning unboxing

Thanks for the positive review Andrew. We appreciate you.
Old 12-17-2021, 06:37 PM

I didn't really know what I was doing and I seemed to have ended up getting my OE tune to work first try. The car seems a little louder all the time and for sure has more power, not that I really needed it. And it will be cool how that when people ask how many Hps I can say 600 instead of 500. Or I can even just say "a bunch"..lol. And it should help me if I ever "have" to outrun a Tesla or Rivian.
Acta_Non_Verba (12-17-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 701 Likes on 534 Posts
R Nine T
Originally Posted by Eyeman89
I didn't really know what I was doing and I seemed to have ended up getting my OE tune to work first try. The car seems a little louder all the time and for sure has more power, not that I really needed it. And it will be cool how that when people ask how many Hps I can say 600 instead of 500. Or I can even just say "a bunch"..lol. And it should help me if I ever "have" to outrun a Tesla or Rivian.
For me it’s not about numbers. It’s about maximizing efficiency and throttle response.
Stenzel-Germany (12-18-2021)
Old 12-17-2021, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 879 Likes on 453 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
And it should help me if I ever "have" to outrun a Tesla or Rivian.
Glad you're happy with your tune!

I'm not sure you'll be too satisfied if you actually do run up against a 1020hp Tesla S Plaid...and "outrun" might be a teensy bit optimistic......LOL

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

Luckily not too many Teslas are out there lighting up the streets, but you never know.

Tesla S Plaid matched the 0-60 performance of the Bugatti Chiron to be the fastest 2 cars Car and Driver has ever tested.

So, if you come up to a light and a tesla pulls up next to you and is says S on it, best thing to do is just tip your hat and wish him/her well...hahaaa...and save your gas...LOL...

Stenzel-Germany (12-18-2021)
Old 12-18-2021, 02:18 PM

AMG GT C Edition 50
Originally Posted by Acta_Non_Verba
Glad you're happy with your tune!

I'm not sure you'll be too satisfied if you actually do run up against a 1020hp Tesla S Plaid...and "outrun" might be a teensy bit optimistic......LOL

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

Luckily not too many Teslas are out there lighting up the streets, but you never know.

Tesla S Plaid matched the 0-60 performance of the Bugatti Chiron to be the fastest 2 cars Car and Driver has ever tested.

So, if you come up to a light and a tesla pulls up next to you and is says S on it, best thing to do is just tip your hat and wish him/her well...hahaaa...and save your gas...LOL...
Agreed, but I have driven Teslas and they leave me numb - in a bad way. They remind me of electric golf carts. I know electric is undoubtedly the future. Which is why I am going to enjoy loud V8 internal combustion engines as long as I can. Also, at nearly 5,000 pounds, the Tesla Plaid is a pig. I hate that extra weight and feel it in every corner. I agree straight-line acceleration is absolutely "ludicrous" and something to really enjoy in the Plaid. But as Car and Driver wrote, "The Plaid is a zombie at the limit, with nothing coming up through the two girthy grips at the end of the steering yoke." I wouldn't dare or care to race one. If all I cared about was 0-60, it would be on the top of my list. Fortunately I really don't and it isn't.
Old 12-18-2021, 02:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Agreed, but I have driven Teslas and they leave me numb - in a bad way. They remind me of electric golf carts. I know electric is undoubtedly the future. Which is why I am going to enjoy loud V8 internal combustion engines as long as I can. Also, at nearly 5,000 pounds, the Tesla Plaid is a pig. I hate that extra weight and feel it in every corner. I agree straight-line acceleration is absolutely "ludicrous" and something to really enjoy in the Plaid. But as Car and Driver wrote, "The Plaid is a zombie at the limit, with nothing coming up through the two girthy grips at the end of the steering yoke." I wouldn't dare or care to race one. If all I cared about was 0-60, it would be on the top of my list. Fortunately I really don't and it isn't.
Yes, I am in the same camp as you re: Tesla. I can't imagine I'd ever own one, but who knows, and I'm sure I'll be in an EV someday within the next 10 years or sooner (still in wait and see mode).

I stopped being interested in "straight line" car performance sometime shortly after high school, and after I became tired of paying drag racing tickets, so I too have little to no interest in 0-60 performance for any reason other than maybe bragging rights at a Cars and Coffee or some such. Still, it is a performance standard that ALL manufacturers continue to publish (for some reason), including the new EQS EV.

Last edited by Acta_Non_Verba; 12-18-2021 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-18-2021, 03:00 PM

AMG GT C Edition 50
That wasn't me about outrunning a Tesla, I know better, and I totally understood the context of your comment. I was just piling on.
Old 12-18-2021, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That wasn't me about outrunning a Tesla, I know better, and I totally understood the context of your comment. I was just piling on.

Oh, right...sorry, my bad....
Old 12-18-2021, 09:26 PM

I'm well aware of Tesla Plaid, etc numbers, was just making a joke. I don't street race. Next time I try that joke I'll use Dodge Demon instead.
AndrewFerg (12-18-2021)
Old 12-18-2021, 09:56 PM

AMG GT C Edition 50
I'm well aware of Tesla Plaid, etc numbers, was just making a joke. I don't street race. Next time I try that joke I'll use Dodge Demon instead.
I know what we should do, pull up next to a Tesla, rev our engines, fill the world with our V8 symphony, and then drop the mic as they peel out. They can't even rev their engines! Haha. Nuff said about Teslas. 😉
Ago54 (12-28-2021)
Old 03-14-2023, 05:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
E class
….
the plaid is a beast
best DD I’ve ever owned
including 7 AMG along the way
over the years
So much fun overall