Coupe/Roadster
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any GTR Pro owners in Vancouver, BC area?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-02-2022, 02:38 PM

Received 381 Likes on 244 Posts
Any GTR Pro owners in Vancouver, BC area?

I have an exhaust rattle/ping that was escalated to MBZ by my (excellent) dealer. After a software change didn't cure it, they've asked the dealer to listen to another GTR Pro's exhaust sound and compare to see whether they're the same (sort of implying MBZ is willing to accept a rattle if it's present in all Pros). Unfortunately, my dealer only has 1 other customer with a Pro and it likely won't be back (for scheduled service) until the summer.

Is there any GTR Pro owner who'd be able to do a meet up with me at the Langley Mercedes dealer so we could compare and check things out? I'm pretty sure we could pre-arrange a time where they'll do this without having to drop the cars off and wait. Hey, we could even "do lunch" and have a nice car gab-fest.
Old 02-02-2022, 07:44 PM

Received 258 Likes on 140 Posts
AMG GT R Pro
Originally Posted by user33
I have an exhaust rattle/ping that was escalated to MBZ by my (excellent) dealer. After a software change didn't cure it, they've asked the dealer to listen to another GTR Pro's exhaust sound and compare to see whether they're the same (sort of implying MBZ is willing to accept a rattle if it's present in all Pros). Unfortunately, my dealer only has 1 other customer with a Pro and it likely won't be back (for scheduled service) until the summer.

Is there any GTR Pro owner who'd be able to do a meet up with me at the Langley Mercedes dealer so we could compare and check things out? I'm pretty sure we could pre-arrange a time where they'll do this without having to drop the cars off and wait. Hey, we could even "do lunch" and have a nice car gab-fest.
Hey man -

im on Vancouver island but if it helps I can FaceTime or phone and have the car exhaust on? Fine to walk around and put the phone wherever they need?

Not sure that helps at all…but just in case.
Old 02-03-2022, 10:26 AM

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts
AMG GT C Edition 50
I had a dealer tell me once that the squeaking breaks on my wife's new BMW were perfectly normal. I took a recording and asked them to send it to corporate with the message that if they listen to this and still think it is acceptable, I was going to post it on YouTube as an example of how these cars come from the factory. Miraculously they changed their opinion and replaced my brakes. They haven't squeaked in 4 years. My point is this, I very rarely accept others opinion of what is acceptable. Especially on a car is nice as the GTR Pro. I personally can't stand rattles and would demand a repair even if another car exhibits the same flaw. Good luck!
Old 02-03-2022, 10:40 AM

Received 54 Likes on 37 Posts
2020 AMG GT R Pro
I'm PST timezone and can help if taking a video works too. lemme know.
Old 02-03-2022, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by jn66
... im on Vancouver island but if it helps I can FaceTime or phone and have the car exhaust on? Fine to walk around and put the phone wherever they need?
Originally Posted by supertanch
I'm PST timezone and can help if taking a video works too. lemme know.
I really appreciate the offers, but that wouldn't do it. The pingish rattle noise is hard to capture using a recording device and the bandwidth on a phone connection would pretty much mute the rattle, even if you had it. Thanks, again for the offer.

Last edited by user33; 02-03-2022 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-03-2022, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by AndrewFerg
... I very rarely accept others opinion of what is acceptable. Especially on a car is nice as the GTR Pro. I personally can't stand rattles and would demand a repair even if another car exhibits the same flaw. Good luck!
My dealer has been amazingly supportive (I first dealt with them in 2017) and has not failed me yet (a rare find ... I've driven MBZ vehicles since 1982). I'm old enough that my hearing has started to deteriorate but/so it turns out that the shop foreman can actually hear the issue better than I can.

From the way the status report was worded, I think the feeling is that it may be a characteristic of the titanium exhaust ... but thinking about it -- doesn't the GTR have the same titanium exhaust as the GTR Pro?
Old 02-04-2022, 04:45 PM

Received 236 Likes on 158 Posts
I have an exhaust rattle/ping
Hopefully this is not the dreaded Exhaust Valve Rattle.

Please ensure technician carefully checks these Valves & Modules that have potential for failure by their design (3rd party outsourced design)

The Pro should have the same exhaust as the Non-Pro GT R.

Good luck! Let us know your findings

Last edited by MBNRG; 02-05-2022 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-05-2022, 10:34 AM

Received 208 Likes on 121 Posts
Winnebago, Yugo
I've had my car in several times to fix the rattle with no luck.
I now have the Renntech EVM installed and with the valves 100% open the rattle has stopped.
The following users liked this post:
MBNRG (02-05-2022)
Old 02-05-2022, 10:49 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,493 Likes on 2,120 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Exhaust rattle is a very common problem on AMGs, not sure why MB haven't figured out how to fix it completely but here is the thread of this issue on a C 63: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...63s-coupe.html
Old 02-05-2022, 01:26 PM

Received 236 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
Exhaust rattle is a very common problem on AMGs, not sure why MB haven't figured out how to fix it completely but here is the thread of this issue on a C 63: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...63s-coupe.html
Seriously. And there are also several threads on the GT forum as well:
https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roa...st-rattle.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/coupe-roa...st-rattle.html

AJ, owner of Eurocharged Minneapolis had a nice post explaining the issue of Exhaust Valve Failure (the rattle is likely the initial symptom), and his solution in Facebook Group - AMG GT Owners:
Other threads above mention application of grease, and installation of aftermarket electronic module to keep Valves "Always Open" including on startup.

Old 02-05-2022, 02:46 PM

Thanks for all the info. I'll pass this on to my dealer. As I've indicated, Langley MBZ has been pretty amazing at solving problems.

Canucklehead (love the handle!): does your Pro's exhaust rattle come on with mild acceleration around 2K RPM and does it have a sort of ping-like/metallic sound to it? BTW, I lived in/around Edmonchuck for about a decade (Uni days and following). Have (not so fond) memories of doing a carb job in -30 degree weather (and not in a garage). For anyone who's interested, gas-soaked gloves provide an excellent way to empirically experience wind-chill factor. #;-)
Old 03-11-2022, 04:59 PM

Just to "close the loop," the shop foreman informed me that they just acquired a GTR Pro trade-in and that he completed the "listen to another exhaust and get back to us" task and that a fix for mine is forthcoming.

BTW, the trade-in 2020 GTR Pro is for sale (Vancouver, BC area): https://www.mercedes-benz-langley.ca...20r-id26723211 ... that's about $230 USD at current exchange rates:

The following users liked this post:
supertanch (03-11-2022)
Old 03-11-2022, 09:13 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
2020 AMG GTC, 2021 Macan GTS, 2021 Golf GTI
300 grand for a pro with 15,000km? That's nuts considering there are some with up to 1000km on auto trader for less. Maybe it's only 1,500km but still seems too much.
Old 03-12-2022, 08:32 AM

Received 208 Likes on 121 Posts
Winnebago, Yugo
Thanks for all the info. I'll pass this on to my dealer. As I've indicated, Langley MBZ has been pretty amazing at solving problems.

Canucklehead (love the handle!): does your Pro's exhaust rattle come on with mild acceleration around 2K RPM and does it have a sort of ping-like/metallic sound to it? BTW, I lived in/around Edmonchuck for about a decade (Uni days and following). Have (not so fond) memories of doing a carb job in -30 degree weather (and not in a garage). For anyone who's interested, gas-soaked gloves provide an excellent way to empirically experience wind-chill factor. #;-)
Yes. That is what I experienced.
I installed the Renntech EVM, with the valves fully open all the time the problem is fixed.

Old 03-12-2022, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by sodhigtc
300 grand for a pro with 15,000km? That's nuts considering there are some with up to 1000km on auto trader for less. Maybe it's only 1,500km but still seems too much.
Yeah, depends upon how much they're willing to deal ... and how quickly the other ones sell out. It _is_ that time of year when the spring buying frenzy normally takes place. $;-))
Old 03-24-2022, 04:17 PM

Exhaust Ping/Rattle Fixed

The rear exhaust section (that's everything minus the clamps, brakets and actuators from the down-pipe connection just behind the engine back to the exhaust valves, muffler and rear pipes) was replaced (under warranty) and the ping/rattle is no longer present. If you're in the Vancouver, BC area and want a dealer who will support you well if you encounter problems, you can't do better than the Langley dealership.

The exhaust now also seems just slightly louder when in loud mode, which is when the ping/rattle occurred, so it could be that the valve was not opening to the proper extent (or it's just my imagination). In any event, it sounds wonderful! Apparently the whole rear exhaust assembly (using thin-walled stainless steel tubing with a titanium alloy muffler) is so light that it's easy for one person to pick it up and move it around (except that its length makes it awkward). The muffler on the removed assembly looked like it'd been treated with "gun blue" (due to the heat).

Seems strange that AMG chose to manufacture that entire assembly as one piece, as it really increases maintenance costs. However, AMG has some serious engineers and, over the years, I've learned that when you want to say "Well that's stupid!" (in regards to a design), it's often better to say something like "That seems like an unusual choice, what is it that I'm missing?" and you'll often learn that there were non-obvious requirements and/or design limitations that shaped the result (especially true with software).

Oh, the used GTR Pro they have for sale has <2,300 km (<1,500 mi), not the 15K km it was originally listed as. I did a quick walk-around, when I was there, and didn't see any issues ... well, other than the fact that it has the matte paint (which I hate) -- of course a gloss PPF will "cure that" (and yes, I know I'm likely in the minority in my dislike for matte paint). $;-)
The following 2 users liked this post by user33:
MercAMGgts2016 (03-26-2022), sodhigtc (03-24-2022)
Old 03-24-2022, 08:57 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
2020 AMG GTC, 2021 Macan GTS, 2021 Golf GTI
The rear exhaust section (that's everything minus the clamps, brakets and actuators from the down-pipe connection just behind the engine back to the exhaust valves, muffler and rear pipes) was replaced (under warranty) and the ping/rattle is no longer present. If you're in the Vancouver, BC area and want a dealer who will support you well if you encounter problems, you can't do better than the Langley dealership.

The exhaust now also seems just slightly louder when in loud mode, which is when the ping/rattle occurred, so it could be that the valve was not opening to the proper extent (or it's just my imagination). In any event, it sounds wonderful! Apparently the whole rear exhaust assembly (using thin-walled stainless steel tubing with a titanium alloy muffler) is so light that it's easy for one person to pick it up and move it around (except that its length makes it awkward). The muffler on the removed assembly looked like it'd been treated with "gun blue" (due to the heat).

Seems strange that AMG chose to manufacture that entire assembly as one piece, as it really increases maintenance costs. However, AMG has some serious engineers and, over the years, I've learned that when you want to say "Well that's stupid!" (in regards to a design), it's often better to say something like "That seems like an unusual choice, what is it that I'm missing?" and you'll often learn that there were non-obvious requirements and/or design limitations that shaped the result (especially true with software).

Oh, the used GTR Pro they have for sale has <2,300 km (<1,500 mi), not the 15K km it was originally listed as. I did a quick walk-around, when I was there, and didn't see any issues ... well, other than the fact that it has the matte paint (which I hate) -- of course a gloss PPF will "cure that" (and yes, I know I'm likely in the minority in my dislike for matte paint). $;-)
im glad to hear it was resolved by the Langley MB! Good to know they decent to work with!
we will have to get the Vancouver amg gt owners together for a drive!
Old 03-25-2022, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by sodhigtc
we will have to get the Vancouver amg gt owners together for a drive!
I'd be up for that.