ESP keeps coming back on at track. GTR

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 208 Likes on 91 Posts
2014 cls63 a amg. 2018 AMG GTR
ESP keeps coming back on at track. GTR

Had a decent second day on track with my new car.

One quirk I don’t get is I kept having to push ESP button to turn off. knob would light up. two reds. few laps all of a sudden belt was tightening etc and i saw esp was back on. 🤷‍♂️.

Did it multiple times per session. Super annoying.

Any ideas ?
Old 07-26-2022, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 966 Likes on 581 Posts
‘24 BMW iX M60
1: Race mode
2: ESP held until “off’ shows on dash
3: In DIC scroll until you turn of ABA
4: adjust TC to choice

It can be pretty easy to have it reengage by turning off the engine even for a short period of time; switching to another mode, etc. But the above in my ‘18 GTR stopped ABA and seat belt tensioning every time
Old 07-26-2022, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by thebishman
1: Race mode
2: ESP held until “off’ shows on dash
3: In DIC scroll until you turn of ABA
4: adjust TC to choice

It can be pretty easy to have it reengage by turning off the engine even for a short period of time; switching to another mode, etc. But the above in my ‘18 GTR stopped ABA and seat belt tensioning every time

Thanks. yes i did all that but it is disengaging in the middle of sessions. ☹️
Old 07-26-2022, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,666 Posts
2019 C63CS
FWIW, I had this happening in my '19 C63S coupe. Also has the same 9-stage TC as the GT R. I noticed it in the canyons where I put ESP in Sport and then at some later point I noticed it was back to fully on w/o me doing anything. Subsequently AMG issued a recall for the ESP affecting the C63, GLC 63 and GT 53 and 63. Not GT coupes as per the recall and it doesn't specifically address this issue, but it hasn't happened again since the update was installed.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...0V395-8600.PDF

Last edited by superswiss; 07-26-2022 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-26-2022, 03:39 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
2020 AMG GTC, 2021 Macan GTS, 2021 Golf GTI
I’ve noticed recently my 2020 GTC in race mode doesn’t automatically switch to sport handling anymore. Esp stays fully on in all modes unless I press the button to change. Never used to do this so im guessing it was maybe part of an update they said the car needed either on its first or second services. When I first got the car delivered it would change to sport handling mode in Race.

i will have to check if esp changes in individual setting which I almost have never used since setting up when I got the car!
Old 07-26-2022, 04:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by sodhigtc
I’ve noticed recently my 2020 GTC in race mode doesn’t automatically switch to sport handling anymore. Esp stays fully on in all modes unless I press the button to change. Never used to do this so im guessing it was maybe part of an update they said the car needed either on its first or second services. When I first got the car delivered it would change to sport handling mode in Race.

i will have to check if esp changes in individual setting which I almost have never used since setting up when I got the car!
This is normal for the FL models with the introduction of AMG DYNAMICS. Instead of having just ESP On, Sport and Off, there are the 4 AMG DYNAMICS modes (Basic, Advanced, Pro and Master) in addition and ESP Sport is on top. Both S+ and Race use AMG DYNAMICS Pro, but if you are in Race and set ESP to Sport, then AMG DYNAMICS goes to Master. It all works a little different now. Each of the AMG DYNAMICS modes gives you more and more freedom even with ESP fully on, but you can only unlock Master by setting ESP to Sport or Off.
Old 07-26-2022, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by superswiss
This is normal for the FL models with the introduction of AMG DYNAMICS. Instead of having just ESP On, Sport and Off, there are the 4 AMG DYNAMICS modes (Basic, Advanced, Pro and Master) in addition and ESP Sport is on top. Both S+ and Race use AMG DYNAMICS Pro, but if you are in Race and set ESP to Sport, then AMG DYNAMICS goes to Master. It all works a little different now. Each of the AMG DYNAMICS modes gives you more and more freedom even with ESP fully on, but you can only unlock Master by setting ESP to Sport or Off.

oh interesting. To be honest I’ve never actually understood what the amg dynamics does/ changes since I’ve got the car. I’m pretty sure you can only alter the amg dynamic settings in individual setting. Are they preset for the other modes or can I alter the settings for amg dynamics in each mode?

thanks for your input!
Old 07-26-2022, 04:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by sodhigtc
oh interesting. To be honest I’ve never actually understood what the amg dynamics does/ changes since I’ve got the car. I’m pretty sure you can only alter the amg dynamic settings in individual setting. Are they preset for the other modes or can I alter the settings for amg dynamics in each mode?

thanks for your input!
In individual you can choose it yourself, but each of the preset modes uses one of the corresponding AMG DYNAMICS modes:

Comfort and Slippery use Basic
Sport uses Advanced
Sport+ uses Pro
Race uses Pro, unless ESP is in Sport or Off, then it uses Master

If you use Master in the individual mode, the same rule applies. If ESP is on it reverts to Pro.

Here's some information on what AMG DYNAMICS does. In essence it makes ESP proactive and actively, but transparently shapes the handling of the car.

https://group-media.mercedes-benz.co...l?oid=42956027

Best is to bring up the mode performance display, then you can see exactly what mode everything is in:

Last edited by superswiss; 07-26-2022 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-26-2022, 08:36 PM

In individual you can choose it yourself, but each of the preset modes uses one of the corresponding AMG DYNAMICS modes:

Comfort and Slippery use Basic
Sport uses Advanced
Sport+ uses Pro
Race uses Pro, unless ESP is in Sport or Off, then it uses Master

If you use Master in the individual mode, the same rule applies. If ESP is on it reverts to Pro.

Here's some information on what AMG DYNAMICS does. In essence it makes ESP proactive and actively, but transparently shapes the handling of the car.

https://group-media.mercedes-benz.co...l?oid=42956027

Best is to bring up the mode performance display, then you can see exactly what mode everything is in:

thank you for the link. For some reason since getting the car I have always kept the left display as the trip computer and the right the temps but I think I will change it to the performance readouts as I tuned off the drive mode notifications which show up on the command, so I don’t see the amg dynamic mode it’s in ever!
Old 07-27-2022, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
This car desperately needs an analogue to the ‘M’ button found on the M5, etc. whereby you press the ‘M’ button and the car reverts to all of the inputs you’ve created. It would alleviate such drama; (aka button pushing) at the road course.

Perhaps the ‘Individual’ mode works like this but I’m not sure it would also turn off ABA.
Old 07-27-2022, 01:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
This car desperately needs an analogue to the ‘M’ button found on the M5, etc. whereby you press the ‘M’ button and the car reverts to all of the inputs you’ve created. It would alleviate such drama; (aka button pushing) at the road course.

Perhaps the ‘Individual’ mode works like this but I’m not sure it would also turn off ABA.
The Individual mode sort of is that and now on the FL with the AMG Drive Unit you can call it up by simply pressing the drive mode selector on the steering wheel to jump to the individual mode from whatever your current mode is instead of having to turn the dial and try to land on I*. ABA also turns off automatically if you turn off ESP in the FL, so you no longer have to turn it off separately on top of turning off ESP. I'd personally prefer if it also turned off automatically in ESP Sport. That's how it worked in my previous Audi RS.

They also seemed to have improved it in recent years. When I attended the AMG Driving Academy in 2019 at Laguna Seca, we had to leave all the safety on, and ABA was constantly coming in during the lead/follow track time. This happened with all the cars all the way up to the GT R. But earlier this month I was in Germany attending a similar event at the Nürburgring. We drove the GT 63 S, GT 63 S E Performance and the GT BS on the track with all the safety on, and ABA never intervened. Not sure if it's a US spec vs. EU spec or if they got a handle on it. Although as opposed to ADA in the USA who forced us to drive the cars in S+, in Germany we were otherwise free to put it in whatever mode we liked, so I drove them all in RACE.
The following users liked this post:
thebishman (07-28-2022)
Old 07-28-2022, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
The Individual mode sort of is that and now on the FL with the AMG Drive Unit you can call it up by simply pressing the drive mode selector on the steering wheel to jump to the individual mode from whatever your current mode is instead of having to turn the dial and try to land on I*. ABA also turns off automatically if you turn off ESP in the FL, so you no longer have to turn it off separately on top of turning off ESP. I'd personally prefer if it also turned off automatically in ESP Sport. That's how it worked in my previous Audi RS.

They also seemed to have improved it in recent years. When I attended the AMG Driving Academy in 2019 at Laguna Seca, we had to leave all the safety on, and ABA was constantly coming in during the lead/follow track time. This happened with all the cars all the way up to the GT R. But earlier this month I was in Germany attending a similar event at the Nürburgring. We drove the GT 63 S, GT 63 S E Performance and the GT BS on the track with all the safety on, and ABA never intervened. Not sure if it's a US spec vs. EU spec or if they got a handle on it. Although as opposed to ADA in the USA who forced us to drive the cars in S+, in Germany we were otherwise free to put it in whatever mode we liked, so I drove them all in RACE.
I’m thinking that you and I must have been at LS at the same event.

I was talking about ABA to my co-driver and about what a PITA and frankly unsafe device it was due to how suddenly it activated when closing quickly on the car in front, and I ‘demonstrated’ how to turn it off. At which time the head instructor came over the radios and told everyone not to deactivate any of the safety features, so be careful what you say when wearing the radios! lol

I also drove the GTRs in Race, I just didn’t tell anyone out loud that I was doing so! lol

Old 07-28-2022, 07:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by dllhg
Had a decent second day on track with my new car.

One quirk I don’t get is I kept having to push ESP button to turn off. knob would light up. two reds. few laps all of a sudden belt was tightening etc and i saw esp was back on. 🤷‍♂️.

Did it multiple times per session. Super annoying.

Any ideas ?
Which event were you at?
Old 07-29-2022, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RMDZidane
Which event were you at?
Speed SF Laguna Seca last monday.
Old 07-29-2022, 02:39 PM

2016 AMG GTS
Originally Posted by dllhg
Speed SF Laguna Seca last monday.
Hey whats up. I'm the guy who had the 2016 AMG GTS. I hate how the seatbelt is trying to strangle me every time I get up to the corkscrew. one time my windows started going up...WTH?! HAHA
Also, I boiled my brake fluid after lunch, so I went home. I had fun until then. It's a fast car...but this is no 991 Turbo S unfortunately
Old 07-30-2022, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hey whats up. I'm the guy who had the 2016 AMG GTS. I hate how the seatbelt is trying to strangle me every time I get up to the corkscrew. one time my windows started going up...WTH?! HAHA
Also, I boiled my brake fluid after lunch, so I went home. I had fun until then. It's a fast car...but this is no 991 Turbo S unfortunately
Nice meeting you. Did you upgrade your fluid ? SRF or similar ? yeah that belt thing is super annoying. as long as my esp stays off it won’t tighten belt.
Old 07-30-2022, 02:40 AM

2016 AMG GTS
Yeah man. Flushed and replaced the fluid with SRF. Changed to Girodisc rotors and Ferodo DS1.11 pads. The car was great until the pedal went soft. I have a feeling that there might be some old residual fluid still in the brake system. I ordered two more bottles of SRF and I also ordered brake ducts.
Old 07-30-2022, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah man. Flushed and replaced the fluid with SRF. Changed to Girodisc rotors and Ferodo DS1.11 pads. The car was great until the pedal went soft. I have a feeling that there might be some old residual fluid still in the brake system. I ordered two more bottles of SRF and I also ordered brake ducts.
oh dang. probably the brake ducts. i have fronts but no rears. I need to get on that. you do the Tikt ?there is another brand that has carbon fiber ones for only $500
Old 07-30-2022, 01:08 PM

2016 AMG GTS
I ordered the ansix brake ducts because they look similar to the 997GT3 ducts I used on another car.
Old 07-30-2022, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

‘24 BMW iX M60
Could you have residual air in the system as it sounds as if you really shouldn’t have had any issues given the replacement to the OEM parts that you did?
Old 07-30-2022, 04:45 PM

Received 144 Likes on 75 Posts
AMG GT-S, AMG C43, GLK350, Nissan GT-R, 718 Cayman
Could you have residual air in the system as it sounds as if you really shouldn’t have had any issues given the replacement to the OEM parts that you did?
Must be old fluid with moisture in it and thus a low boiling point which boiled when it got too hot as any air bubbles would have been there the whole time and thus soft pedal from the start. I have never had the brake pedal go soft on track in my GT-S. I've run SRF and now run Project Mu 335 fluid, with Ansix front air deflectors, DTC-70 pads. Just did 2 full days at the Glen in open track and no brake issues at all. 5.5 hours of open track time available per day. Max continuous session I ran was 45 minutes chasing or being chased by my buddy in his 991 Turbo S, brakes help up fine, new OEM Brembo front and used OEM rear rotors. New OEM rotors with hats can be had for under $350 each.

Brake assist coming on when closing fast on another car into the corner is a major PITA even though you've turned it off in the Driver Assist Settings. I guess I've just gotten used to the stupid feature. How could AMG make it not go off completely when you tell the system to turn it off?
thebishman (07-31-2022)
Old 07-31-2022, 10:23 PM

2016 AMG GTS
Yeah, I totally agree that I probably have some air, or old moisture ridden brake fluid in the system still. I went to an independent shop for the brake bleeding. The tech said that he used a scanner to cycle the abs module and did a pressure bleed. Are there other methods used for better results? Is there a procedure that wasn't followed? I'd like to have this figured out before I go back to Laguna Seca because it's my favorite track, but its absolutely brutal on brakes.
Old 08-01-2022, 10:19 AM

Received 144 Likes on 75 Posts
AMG GT-S, AMG C43, GLK350, Nissan GT-R, 718 Cayman
I use a vacuum bleeder, thus impossible to get air in the lines unless the master cylinder gets empty. My vacuum bleeder comes with a filler bottle that you attach to the master cylinder and it just keeps the master cylinder filled at all times without you having to attend to it, unless its inverted bottle container gets empty. I have been using this for years on several cars and have never had a soft brake pedal. My best mechanic friend turned me onto the method, which does not require a person inside the car pushing on the brake pedal. You first use the vacuum bleeder to empty the master cylinder of old fluid, then use the filler bottle to fill it back up with fresh fluid, then proceed to bleed the brakes. So many theories about how to bleed brakes, but vacuum bleeding works fantastic for me.

https://www.amazon.com/vdp/0acc95a4d1bf4dca882b6f362fb6a23d?product=B00YF84496&ref=cm_sw_em_r_ib_dt_bhtGo0qTwrrPu https://www.amazon.com/vdp/0acc95a4d1bf4dca882b6f362fb6a23d?product=B00YF84496&ref=cm_sw_em_r_ib_dt_bhtGo0qTwrrPu

Old 08-02-2022, 05:59 PM

Received 445 Likes on 239 Posts
AMG GTR
The tech said that he used a scanner to cycle the abs module and did a pressure bleed....
Hi,

If your tech is a woman, get married immediately. :-)

For me, the only 100% correct way to change / bleed the brake fluid on a vehicle with ABS.

Everything else works too.Just not 100%.But always better than old brake fluid.

I've had good experiences with vacuum bleeders to. With motorcycles / exotics often the only possibility, because there are no adapters (or you don't have them)
The storage container is very important. Near the best part. :-)

Small disadvantages:
Wheen filling / bleeding ,often there is bypass air at the bleeder nipple, i.e. small air bubbles in the draining brake fluid.
Makes it difficult to recognize the air-free brake fluid.
The need for presurred air is very high.This also makes it unpleasantly loud.

If someone wants to buy a bleed system for the GT, I recommend a pressure version. With handpump its cheap.

e.g.:

TECPO BREMSENENTLÜFTUNGSGERÄT 2 LITER BREMSENENTLÜFTER BREMSFLÜSSIGKEIT WECHSELN | eBay

Works great. Had a similar device before.

Info:
Pressure filling requires the appropriate adapter. For most European cars (also GT) it is number: E 20

For heroic DIYer:
On the above version, extend the pressure hose with a more stable one and secure it with clamps.
With an attached compressed air connection on top (instead the hand pump) and a pressure reducer, you almost have an automatic professional version. :-)

Prepared device:

ENVA DRUCKLUFT-BREMSENENTLÜFTER 5 L KUPPLUNGSENTLÜFTER BREMSENENTLÜFTUNGSGERÄT | eBay

Now have a pressure ventilation system with a membrane pump and adjustable pressure.. (0,5 -1.5 bar, operation at 1 bar)
Its small, comfortable, quietly and sucks directly from the always tight stock tin container. No decanting necessary. No unnecessary humidity in the container.

Elektrisches Bremsenentlüftungsgerät ERS-5 S NEU | eBay

Like it.

Best regards

Stenzel

Last edited by Stenzel-Germany; 08-02-2022 at 07:33 PM.
Acta_Non_Verba (08-03-2022)